• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

DNAbro

Surely it can't be hard to say:
* There are X unique environments in PVE, and Y in PVP
* There are Z public events
* There are A campaign missions
* There are B strike missions
* There are C raids

That's all I'm really interested in anyway.

You think he has the permission to give that info out?

MrDaravon

Surely it can't be hard to say:
* There are X unique environments in PVE, and Y in PVP
* There are Z public events
* There are A campaign missions
* There are B strike missions
* There are C raids

That's all I'm really interested in anyway.

Because even if they do that, people have apparently already decided exactly how long each of those mission types will take and will be disappointed no matter what Bungie says. If they try to put a hours played count to any of it (like "doing just the core story missions and nothing else will take x amount of time") half of the people here wouldn't believe them anyway, or day one someone would do it in slightly less time and point to that and cry foul. Hell, look at all of the people in this thread already completely assuming that they're going to nickel and dime us on nonstop paid DLC for years. It's a complete lose-lose for them here.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think something as simple as: "there is more than what is outlined than in the OP" would suffice.

No need to detail what that may be.

Would it really suffice? For real? This thread is a gong show.

What would have to be said to make the entirety of this thread and all of the gaming public be able to sleep well tonight and every night up until September 9th 2014?

Because if Bungie can't find that magic sentence that pleases everyone then there is no point in sharing even the smallest detail.

The beta was for them to test the game. Not to engage the incredible entitlement engine of the gaming community.

You compared Destiny to a television show instead of a film. Are you saying that we won't have to pay for additional "episodes"?

Since when did DLC become some four letter word? Sure, some DLC is extremely frivolous, but it does not have to be.

Frankly, I'm happy that there will be DLC, since Destiny is a massive investment and sequels probably won't be coming out every year, and I fully expect a typical Bungie expansion to include new single player, co-op, explore, loot, and PVP content packaged together.

Would you rather just wait years before new stuff gets released?

I love how everyone keeps defending Borderlands. Borderlands is the most dlc ridden game ever.

People aren't upset at the amount of DLC. I love DLC and bought Borderlands' dlc except for their most recent, which felt like they were just cashing in. The question is with the quality and quantity of content in the $60 Destiny game. Right now my spidy senses are going off that Destiny is really a subscription game in disguise and that Bungie is stretching the content that is in the game too far.

Destiny might have 20-30+ hours of content, but if those hours are filled up with repeated runs through the same small set of missions with only the number of hitpoints and damage of the enemies increasing, then that is a problem.

SeanR1221

You realize that pic shows at least 17 pages and less then 1 page is filled with people playing it. I'm not sure what you think that pic is showing.

TBF That boycott had several pages (17 in fact) this only showing the one.

Then please correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't use Steam.

Does it cram everyone playing MW2 on one page and randomly places a few offline people in the mix, and then the other 16 pages are full of no one playing it?

Should I jump to that logical conclusion?

Regardless, it went a long with my point. Make your statement by actually not buying the game if it bothers you.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I didn't make that thread to defend Bungie, it was an ongoing attitude prevalent on GAF that has been exacerbated since the Watch_Dogs fiasco and hasn't stopped since. If no one says anything, threads like this will continue to be a shithole because of people like you.

The attitude that we would like to have information on and not be deceived about products we have to pay for? You're right, fuck it. Lets pr order everything blindly.

And where exactly did you come up with that? When was it disclosed that Borderlands 1/2 has more content than Destiny? Stop talking out your ass.

I said it appears to me that from what we currently know, the game doesnt seem to have as much SP content as its closest competitors. Stop trying to twist my words.

nynt9

No ones really asking you to do that mate. It's cool there will be a ton to do in each location compared to the beta and i'm really looking forward to playing it, but this thread is mainly about there being only being one area like Old Russia on each planet. You could have nipped that in the bud with a simple nope without having to spoil anything, so your silence is kinda all the confirmation it needs.

Congrats on the Beta though and enjoy that beer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...just_confirmed_that_theres_only_one_area_per/

During a "2old2play" live-stream on Twitch, Deej was asked how many "explorable areas" there are per planet. He went on to say that there are in fact one destination per planet.

Deej's exact words, "We've revealed everything you're going to explore in the first version of the game."

He later goes on to say that for release single explorable areas will be available on Earth, Moon, Mars, and Venus and possibly Jupiter as a "surprise" since he didn't mention it and you see it on the select-able map.

Froli

Urk's reply seemed to lack content.
It was just his beta comment.
giphy.gif

I laugh so hard lol

Lemondish

30 hours. I want 30 hours minimum of non PVP content.

1. Some folks have spent 20 hours or more in the beta and not all of that was PvP.

2. If you mean unique content that you never repeat, I wonder how realistic that expectation is...

3. How can you be so sure that this game, from this extremely minor potentially misconstrued throw away comment, won't have what you're looking for? Because you saw levels 1 to 8? Because you played one Strike?

Ok first of all, just because someone has a negative view/opinion/concern about something and you don't agree with it doesn't mean they're whining. This is literally my least favorite mindset that some people have. Then you go off "whining" about other people "whining" (using your definition of it). We should be able to share our genuine thoughts/concerns on a game without being called anything derogatory.

Then SHARE something. All I'm hearing is that it's not enough. We don't even know that with any certainty.

I don't really want a rundown everything that will be in the game.....

I'd just be ecstatic with a confirmation that there are more locations we haven't seen at all in trailers or screenshots. (but probably in concept art)

Or just saying that not every planet/moon will only have one explorable location.

I just want to know there is more than what I've seen. It'd be pretty disappointing if they spoiled all of the explore locations before launch.

jadedm17

I think most of the concerns in the thread were valid and reasonable. There were only a few comments that where saying something way out there like "destiny is going to be a trainwreck" or "there will be 20 minute speedruns." It's best to not cherry pick the outlier comments and blow them out of proportion and group them with all of the other people who were more reasonable with their expression of disappointment.

Valid and reasonable concerns that come well articulated are one thing, the hitching and moaning from what I assume to be teenagers with no clue what making a game of this scale is like is another - atleast that's the view I get. Sadly - and as something Jimqusition has pointed out - most complaining from gamers is unintelligible ramblings of people with too much free time so its hard for gamemakers to take us seriously.

That said the concerns seem valid but Bungie has a great history of being well worth the investment price so I see no reason to not trust them right now.

Admittedly I personally find the game to play so silky smooth that I know ill play endless amounts of PVE and PVP so that's just my opinion.

I'm not upset. I'm about to pop a beer and celebrate. As you might imagine, what I'm probably not going to do is provide a list of ALL THE CONTENT IN THE GAME. Unless the beer is really, really strong.

Lol no reason to be upset. You guys made a fantastic product here but even I was thrown off by the early interviews and such about the scope of the game. I was thinking more of a Skyrim / World of Warcraft type open world where you actually could go off into those areas in the distance.

But it is what it is. I'll be buying the game come launch and will enjoy the hell out of it and will dance when I get my first Exotic hand cannon for my Hunter and will enjoy the new Strikes and everything else.

Only real worry is the strength of the story and the story missions. They were all pretty much repeats of one another throughout Beta. Go to location, have Ghost scan something, fight off enemies, done. Can you say that missions get more varied and more dynamic as the game progresses?

Omega

Banned
Does Borderlands have any player vs. player content? Maps designed from the ground up for competitive multiplayer?

The answer is no.

These things don't come at zero cost.

maybe they should have focused on PvE then.

also those maps are awful, if they were built from the ground up someone should be fired. then again Bungie has never given a shit about MP considering the only Halo with good maps was made by mistake.

Then SHARE something. All I'm hearing is that it's not enough. We don't even know that with any certainty.

What do you mean SHARE something? The guy you replied to SHARED his concern and you felt the need to label him as a whiner. You were concerned enough about his post to label him with a negative term, so how would you not be "whining" about "whiners" in that case?

also those maps are awful, if they were built from the ground up someone should be fired. then again Bungie has never given a shit about MP considering the only Halo with good maps was made by mistake.

They shouldn't have strictly focused on PVE, because PVP is some of the best multiplayer I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

rdrr gnr

1. Some folks have spent 20 hours or more in the beta and not all of that was PvP.

2. If you mean unique content that you never repeat, I wonder how realistic that expectation is...

3. How can you be so sure that this game, from this extremely minor potentially misconstrued throw away comment, won't have what you're looking for? Because you saw levels 1 to 8? Because you played one Strike?

I don't think beta time is ever representative. People play betas for different reasons. Your psychologically primed for a difference experience when "beta" or "demo" follow the title of a game. I'm never going to put 40 hrs into Old Russia like I did in the beta and you can't just take that time and multiply by the number of areas. Also, I don't think something like 18-20 hours worth of unique PvE content is absurd for a game this large even if that entails replaying a few missions within reason. If it's content they want you to repeat for months, isn't it better for there to be more in the first place? Besides, that concern doesn't include qualitative concerns. I found all the beta missions to be serviceable, but not great.
They shouldn't have strictly focused on PVE, because PVP is some of the best multiplayer I've ever had the pleasure of playing.
Even people who liked the PvP aren't saying this. The PvP portion needs a ton of work.

The attitude that we would like to have information on and not be deceived about products we have to pay for? You're right, fuck it. Lets pr order everything blindly.

I said it appears to me that from what we currently know, the game doesnt seem to have as much SP content as its closest competitors. Stop trying to twist my words.

Who are its competitors? Borderlands? Battlefield? Halo? What makes Destiny strong is that it isnt really going up aganjst anyone head to head in 1 for 1 battle. The synthesis of its elements is what makes it advantegeous. BLs mechanics completely pale in comparison to Destiny's gunplay. You're average BF, Halo campaign don't have the same breadth, given the beta times flying around we know it's far larger in scope and can hold its own mechanically.

I could almost feel the frustration with all the assault rifle carrying bandwagoners when I would kill them with my hand cannon or destroy them with one full blast of my fusion rifle. Was fun

mcrommert

Banned

Wut

This thread

Also bungie was great at making multiplayer maps but a special mention needs to go out to Certain Infinity who had a huge part in making the multiplayer maps in Halo as good as they were, and made some of them completely themselves

Because even if they do that, people have apparently already decided exactly how long each of those mission types will take and will be disappointed no matter what Bungie says. If they try to put a hours played count to any of it (like "doing just the core story missions and nothing else will take x amount of time") half of the people here wouldn't believe them anyway, or day one someone would do it in slightly less time and point to that and cry foul. Hell, look at all of the people in this thread already completely assuming that they're going to nickel and dime us on nonstop paid DLC for years. It's a complete lose-lose for them here.

Isn't it my right to decide the value proposition as a consumer? Having played the beta, my decision on when or at what price I purchase the game is dependent on how much unique and engaging content there is in the PVE (since the PVP is definitely not my thing).

What else have you had the pleasure of playing?

I don't know what this sigh means. Are you disagreeing with the original poster's assumption that the game's years of longevity will be tied to paid DLC? Will DLC be free? Will the base game provide this multi-year content on its own?

$500 million marketing budget to not tell gamers what's actually in the game. Good investment.

That's the feeling I'm getting. A little over a month until launch and we still don't have answers to some pretty basic questions.

Valid and reasonable concerns that come well articulated are one thing, the hitching and moaning from what I assume to be teenagers with no clue what making a game of this scale is like is another - atleast that's the view I get. Sadly - and as something Jimqusition has pointed out - most complaining from gamers is unintelligible ramblings of people with too much free time so its hard for gamemakers to take us seriously.

That said the concerns seem valid but Bungie has a great history of being well worth the investment price so I see no reason to not trust them right now.

Admittedly I personally find the game to play so silky smooth that I know ill play endless amounts of PVE and PVP so that's just my opinion.

Disappointment is disappointment. Most of the comments expressing it in this topic weren't unreasonable, and they shouldn't be labeled as anything negative because of it. That is all i'm saying.

hwalker84

This is the most disappointing news I could've imagined hearing from one of my most anticipated titles of the year. I wasn't expecting from everything I read and watched that old Russia was going to be the only Earth environment. I was excited to see Chicago and/or Europe. I just went from getting the Digital Guardian edition to wait until Bungie tells me exactly what I'm getting. How much bigger is Old Russia Beta to retail? Is Old Russia the biggest environment?

I'm not upset. I'm about to pop a beer and celebrate. As you might imagine, what I'm probably not going to do is provide a list of ALL THE CONTENT IN THE GAME. Unless the beer is really, really strong.

Come on now. I know you're restricted in what you can say, but you know that's not what we want. A simple "yes there can be more than one area per planet" would end the thread.

Pretty disappointing. I wouldn't have minded if the locations were suitably large and open, but the two environments we've been able to explore felt pretty small and hemmed in.

David___

Banned
It's funny because if you actually go to the link and then go the specified time in the stream all of you would get your answer.

Lol no reason to be upset. You guys made a fantastic product here but even I was thrown off by the early interviews and such about the scope of the game. I was thinking more of a Skyrim / World of Warcraft type open world where you actually could go off into those areas in the distance.

But it is what it is. I'll be buying the game come launch and will enjoy the hell out of it and will dance when I get my first Exotic hand cannon for my Hunter and will enjoy the new Strikes and everything else.

Only real worry is the strength of the story and the story missions. They were all pretty much repeats of one another throughout Beta. Go to location, have Ghost scan something, fight off enemies, done. Can you say that missions get more varied and more dynamic as the game progresses?

yep that's the only thing that bothers me, is that we can't go into those areas you see in the distance.

teiresias

I dunno. This whole thing just sounds like the deals made with Sony extend to even using Sony's own PR tactics. Don't tell gamers anything, reveal news (particularly bad news) at the last minute, and tie up everyone's money in a preorder they're hopefully too lazy or too late to cancel by the time they are able to read a review.

Do you mean phenomenal potential or do you just not know what you are talking about? What about the game is phenomenal? Is "phenomenal" like how KZ: SF was phenomenal? Because there's another word for that.

I mean phenomenal. You can look up the definition for that.

I love the traversal, the gunplay mechanics, the super abilities, the wealthy of options and different play-styles of the various classes. It's not perfect, and could use some tweaks here and there (gun balancing), but other than that I can't name a better MP that I've played in years.

A lot of the elements I loved from Halo are present here, and the gunplay in general is a joy.

I dunno. This whole thing just sounds like the deals made with Sony extend to even using Sony's own PR tactics. Don't tell gamers anything, reveal news (particularly bad news) at the last minute, and tie up everyone's money in a preorder they're hopefully too lazy or too late to cancel by the time they are able to read a review.

...have you not purchased a bungie game before? So much hyperbole and cynicism in this thread based off speculation, questionable extrapolation and potentially misunderstood quoting.

QaaQer

I don't know dude. Letting everyone play the demo was pretty cool.

What isn't cool is someone from Bungie coming here and saying "lol, thats not the game. That thing was for toddlers in the kiddie pool with water wings. You won't see the real game until sept 9." Really don't like that kind of guerrilla marketing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

If you preordered something that you can't or won't cancel with what you feel to be insufficient knowledge then that's on you.

Hawk269

I never played a beta that represented 25% or so of the game. Usually a beta is a very, very small portion of the actual game. I am hoping that what we got in the beta is just a very small slice of the pie, but if it is roughly even close to 25% then that is extremely disappointing. I am not too interested in the PVP stuff, I always prefer PVE and teaming up with others to do PVE stuff, so for me, that is why I hope that the beta is not roughly 25% of the PVE content.

But, if Old Russia is the only environment on earth, it is truly a waste. It is Earth, our home after all, you would think that there would be at least 2-3 major environments to explore on earth?

Top Bottom