• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

gatti-man

and it gave us an excellent opportunity to understand the story (or lack thereof), the gameplay, the scope of the areas, mission structures, loot systems, etc etc.

In fact, I have no doubt that by doing a full beta, they have hurt sales.

There must be good reasons for companies like EA with Titanfall and Activision with Destiny to do these betas because they sure as shit don't increase sales.

Man you couldn't be more wrong. So make a prediction on sales then so I can bookmark it.

Betas are not demos btw. Betas are for balancing weapons/enemy spawns and network testing. It's necessary. That's why it's done. When the game is good it's also good marketing. Demos are released alongside the game when it's released. That isn't a beta. They are not the same. No betas don't hurt sales. World of warcraft had a beta. BF has betas. All mmos have betas.

and it gave us an excellent opportunity to understand the story (or lack thereof), the gameplay, the scope of the areas, mission structures, loot systems, etc etc.

There must be good reasons for companies like EA with Titanfall and Activision with Destiny to do these betas because they sure as shit don't increase sales.

Doubt it. Destiny's beta definitely put some people off, but it pulled a lot of people on; before the Alpha, the hype train was pretty much stationary, and the Beta did a lot as well. Demos hurting sales is the general case, but it's hardly universal.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I don't know what this sigh means. Are you disagreeing with the original poster's assumption that the game's years of longevity will be tied to paid DLC? Will DLC be free? Will the base game provide this multi-year content on its own?

To put it mildly, he felt the poster's question was antagonistic. But all in all, he's not upset.

Velikost

Disappointing that Old Russia is the only place on Earth we can go, but I have faith; no idea how much of it was closed off in the beta, so it could potentially be really big.

Has anything been said about how many multiplayer maps are in the retail game though? If there's only one map for each planet that's going to get stale fast.

I dunno. This whole thing just sounds like the deals made with Sony extend to even using Sony's own PR tactics. Don't tell gamers anything, reveal news (particularly bad news) at the last minute, and tie up everyone's money in a preorder they're hopefully too lazy or too late to cancel by the time they are able to read a review.

you're delusional.. that doesnt even make sense

D i Z

Do I think this game will provide more content than any CoD game? Yup. Yet everyone lined up to hand over $60 Day 1 for that series year after year. And not to mention the map packs. Ooh, I can have Snoop in the game? Take my money...

This thread:
lulz57orm.gif

This wonderful gif.

Trouble

Banned
I'm not upset. I'm about to pop a beer and celebrate. As you might imagine, what I'm probably not going to do is provide a list of ALL THE CONTENT IN THE GAME. Unless the beer is really, really strong.

urk, come to Cap Hill and I'll feed you fancy cocktails and you can tell me about said content.

SegaShack

So a Bungie Employee on stream says that we have one destination per planet. A Bungie PR guy goes in here with a nice long post that does nothing to confirm or deny this information that another employee gave out. I am sure urk is a nice guy and can't confirm or deny anything, but why are people satisfied when none of their concerns are addressed?

Reminds me of Dinsey Infinity PR they said when the game was coming out "Disney Infinity is an ever expanding platform that will add more and more content and characters".

The least they could do is say that the employees staements did not reflect the product and there is more details to be revealed in the future.

I don't expect anything close to a content list, but at least address people's concerns.

Supers are unlike power weapons because they don't spawn on the map and you don't have to jockey for control of them. There's also no clear indication that your opponent has a super ready.

This. Every other time I took position to control a flag, an enemy Warlock would drop an easy cheesy (Nova bomb), almost always a guaranteed multi-kill.
I played mostly as a Hunter, and I could see how just how unfair the kills I got with that were: not even close to hitting an opponent, just get a shot off close enough and it'll kill them.
I'm thinking they've included these overpowered superpowers so even low skill players have a very good chance to get some epic kills in, thus appealing to a wider audience.

Zabant

Honestly curious as to why we can't get a rundown of what content will ship.

Him spilling the beans on GAF is not in the mandated PR plan.

Either that or he doesn't know, but it's probably the first thing I said.

It's incredibly shitty but this is how it has worked for a while.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Do I think this game will provide more content than any CoD game? Yup. Yet everyone lined up to hand over $60 Day 1 for that series year after year. And not to mention the map packs. Ooh, I can have Snoop in the game? Take my money...

This thread:
lulz57orm.gif

Sums up the thread really. 60 dollar CoD games sell millions for glorified annual map packs.

Lucent

Sums up the thread really. 60 dollar CoD games sell millions for glorified annual map packs.

Well, I haven't bought a CoD since the first Modern Warfare. I'm not getting this game for the PvP aspects. My concerns are entirely for the PvE, which is all I care about.

Darkgran

Saving this post. Will come back to it so you can eat crow.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Yet most people's interest in the game went high and are surely buying the game. I still think you're disillusioned with the entire game even though we played the beta.

RdN

So a Bungie Employee on stream says that we have one destination per planet. A Bungie PR guy goes in here with a nice long post that does nothing to confirm or deny this information that another employee gave out. I am sure urk is a nice guy and can't confirm or deny anything, but why are people satisfied when none of their concerns are addressed?

Reminds me of Dinsey Infinity PR they said when the game was coming out "Disney Infinity is an ever expanding platform that will add more and more content and characters".

They least they could do is say that the employees staements did not reflect the product and there is more details to be revealed in the future.

I don't expect anything close to a content list, but at least address people's concerns.

I agree. What urk said did absolutely nothing to mitigate the fears what led this thread to blow up like it did.. And that "Sigh", I just can't understand it. What the guy said is spot on and was the first thing that I (and I believe many others too) thought after reading urk's post. "Sigh-ing" a legitimate concern from the community is just absurd.

Gonna be honest here.. I think Bungie's PR/Community Management took a dive for the worst on the past few years. I feel like Bungie thinks that all it's fans are children, and they continuously act with vague responses, snark remarks.. Gone are the great Friday Weekly Updates, mostly comprised of poorly answered fan questions (full of the BS I mentioned above). When we can get them to talk to us like adults, it's just for a brief second and we're back to "sighs"....

SegaShack

What does any of this have to do with Destiny? Because other people see enough value in Call of Duty to buy that at 60 we should be happy that this game is bigger than CoD?

"Well people have no problem paying $60 for this game I don't like so I need to just quiet down and buy Destiny!".

CoD gets released every year as do Fifa and Madden but none of these games are similar to Destiny.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I agree. What urk said did absolutely nothing to mitigate the fears what led this thread to blow up like it did.. And that "Sigh", I just can't understand it. What the guy said is spot on and was the first thing that I (and I believe many others too) thought after reading urk's post. "Sigh-ing" a legitimate concern from the community is just absurd.

Gonna be honest here.. I think Bungie's PR/Community Management took a dive for the worst on the past few years. I feel like Bungie thinks that all it's fans are children, and they continuously act with vague responses, snark remarks.. Gone are the great Friday Weekly Updates, mostly comprised of poorly answered fan questions (full of the BS I mentioned above). When we can get them to talk to us like adults, it's just for a brief second and we're back to "sighs"....

To be fair, the question was rather hostile in tone and urk is trying to be friendly and some of the posts gives off a tone of ''Fuck off''.

Overall, I think you're jumping to conclusions regarding Bungie's community management.

He said that this is the biggest game BY FAR they have ever made, and people still cant get perspective on that, I'd sigh too reading half of the drivel in this thread

SegaShack

I definitely know what you mean. In all honesty I have seen dozens and dozens of Gaf breakdown threads that get really insane. This thread though? I was surprised when I first opened it to find it was 90% just filled with rational constructive criticism about the game and not just a bunch of over reactive comments. It really surprised me how honest people were about the whole thing instead of other breakdown threads where emotions have gotten the best of people.

What we do know is that the Bungie employee on stream most likely was not supposed to say how much content was in the game. That was probably a last minute thing that wouldn't come out until review week.

Meanwhile him dodging the actual question everyone here wants answered makes this "rumor"(if you can call it that) seem more likely to me. The employee already said that and a simple "We have more areas than our representative's comments may have lead you to believe" would be great.

Reminds me of the Xbox stuff last year when people asked about the paywall they just talked about how "Netflix on Xbox will be a magic experience" and never answered the actual question.

To be fair, the question was rather hostile in tone and urk is trying to be friendly and some of the posts gives off a tone of ''Fuck off''.

Overall, I think you're jumping to conclusions regarding Bungie's community management.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there are some really bad, negative, irrational posts in this thread. Urk made a long post in here saying how him and his team have worked hard and are excited for the prospects and limits of Destiny, which I am sure is very true. However, he didn't actually alleviate any of the confusion and just dodged it all. I think the problem is Bungie has been vague with the game's contents since the start but also made big promises about exploring the galaxy without elaborating on any of it.

Bruticuz

Banned
Game is f'in awesome, Bungie dont listen to the whiners.
This is the kind of game you dreamed about in the SNES era, and hoped some day they would realize something like this.
Loves the game before the alpha, love it more after alpha and still in love after beta.

teiresias

Given what's going on in the world today I'm also a little miffed that they're glorifying Russia of all places as the location on Earth.

Game is f'in awesome, Bungie dont listen to the whiners.
This is the kind of game you dreamed about in the SNES era, and hoped some day they would realize something like this.
Loves the game before the alpha, love it more after alpha and still in love after beta.

If you're not listening to issues raised in the beta, then why are you having one?

Given what's going on in the world today I'm also a little miffed that they're glorifying Russia of all places as the location on Earth.

In all fairness, I wouldn't call it "glorifying;" featuring, sure. Old Russia is kind of a shithole, what with all the decrepit structures and homicidal aliens.

Nexas

He said that this is the biggest game BY FAR they have ever made, and people still cant get perspective on that, I'd sigh too reading half of the drivel in this thread

Right, but the average Halo game is about 10-12 hours long. Saying its their biggest game to date doesn't really mean much when their games have historically been pretty short. And people are not just cautious about the alleged length, but also the amount of a variety in the game. I had my fill of Old Russia after about 4 hours of gameplay. I'm not too keen on the idea of spending another 10+ hours there.

RdN

I don't think the question was hostile. He was direct... And what he said was exactly what first came to my mind after reading urk's post.

And I'm really not misjudging Bungie's interaction to it's public. I'm an 11 year member of Bungie.net. I have no idea about the amount of time I spent in that community on the last decade, but it was MASSIVE. And I was there the whole time and watched with my own eyes how one of the most community focused developers in the industry turned bad.

I understand that it is their biggest game.. But what that really means? Have you played the Beta? If so, you know that both Earth and the Moon, while gorgeous scenarios, are pretty small. All 4 missions available where VERY fast to complete and offered nothing more than "Go to X, kill Y/defend Z". For what we currently know, there are grounds to be legitimately concerned.

teiresias

In all fairness, I wouldn't call it "glorifying;" featuring, sure. Old Russia is kind of a shithole, what with all the decrepit structures and homicidal aliens.

They probably should have had a TV somewhere playing some archival footage of Putin - his head attached to the robot body that allows him to rule for centuries - claiming he had nothing to do with The Fallen.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I don't think the question was hostile. He was direct... And what he said was exactly what first came to my mind after reading urk's post.

And I'm really not misjudging Bungie's interaction to it's public. I'm an 11 year member of Bungie.net. I have no idea about the amount of time I spent in that community on the last decade, but it was MASSIVE. And I was there the whole time and watched with my own eyes how one of the most community focused developers in the industry turned bad.

Well, I still don't think they turned bad. Sure they said dumb things from time to time, but they haven't turned out bad for me. But if you think that way, that's your prerogative and I won't stop you there.

Gonna be honest here.. I think Bungie's PR/Community Management took a dive for the worst on the past few years. I feel like Bungie thinks that all it's fans are children...

I don't think Bungie thinks all it's fans are children, although after reading a lot of the replies in this thread, I am starting to think some of Bungie's fans are children.

Do people really think demanding an itemized list of every location/mode/feature in the game AFTER accusing Bungie of shorting the game on content to force people to buy DLC was a mature and logical course of action?

Top Bottom