• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Huh? What the Librarian?!

Sorry, the library.

That long corridor I kept going down for like 90 minutes punctuated by brief periods of going up that elevator.

Halo: CE is a really fun game, but man not only is the level design repetitive you actually wind up repeating levels (now with Flood!). Halo 2 and 3 were a bit better in terms of avoiding it, but point being Bungie has a tendency for sameyness in level design.

BraXzy

I wonder where the factions will come into all this. I forgot they were even a thing before I had a look back at the old early info we got on the game.

BDQkrhLCUAE3G3g.jpg

I really hope the we only scratched the depth of the game in the beta and there's a lot they kept under wraps.

QaaQer

Skylanders is anything but F2P, that's why Destiny sounds like it'll be just like it.

Pay for the base game, spend silly amounts on DLC making up the rest of the game.

I get it, instead of locking content behind "do you own this plastic figurine", they lock content behind "do you own this dlc".

I guess we'll see just how much dlc is on offer soon enough.

The moon in Destiny had copy and paste caves and bunkers, I fear it will also feel repetitive.

Seriously? Ugh... my hype for this game is shrinking by the day. No doubt I had a lot of fun with the beta, but this just doesn't come close to what I expected the game to be.

Does the moon get interesting looking if you explore (ie not just grey rocks)? You get the same gravity as earth (unlike say the borderlands prequel) so there is no uniqueness there. Just looked boring and grey (I mean it IS the moon but wow if thats 1/4 of the game map wise, very disappointing)

Two Words

To me, concept art is more like "Hey, this is the look/tone that we are going for and might show up in some form eventually" and less "This exact location is in the game exactly like this". Would you be upset if some of that concept art was actually from locations in Destiny 2 and 3?
I think the issue of it is that this is literally some of the first things they were showing. A lot of people saw them talk about those places as if they were in the game. To confirm they aren't in a tiny live stream and forum is misleading to the millions that only saw the first part of that.

Sorry, the library.

That long corridor I kept going down for like 90 minutes punctuated by brief periods of going up that elevator.

Halo: CE is a really fun game, but man not only is the level design repetitive you actually wind up repeating levels (now with Flood!). Halo 2 and 3 were a bit better in terms of avoiding it, but point being Bungie has a tendency for sameyness in level design.

Ahh sorry my bad. I thought you were talking about something called The Librarian in Destiny. Considering everything in Destiny starts with a "The" you can see why I got confuzzled!

Homeboyd

Does the moon get interesting looking if you explore (ie not just grey rocks)? You get the same gravity as earth (unlike say the borderlands prequel) so there is no uniqueness there. Just looked boring and grey (I mean it IS the moon but wow if thats 1/4 of the game map wise, very disappointing)
Yeah the caves/tunnels underneath the moon seem to hold a vast majority of the gameplay and unique experiences. I spent hours just fucking around down there... Very little on the surface.

Has anyone compared this game to Warframe? From a content standpoint?

Warframe also has randomly generated locations. Though yes, they still feel repetitive.

Wow, this is getting ridiculous. You just can't compare the two.. it's sad seeing this thread filled with people piling on Destiny, it really doesn't deserve this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm still getting the game (and am actually very excited for it), but it's amazing how different the delivered product appears to be from the hinted at product. We all got Moleneux'ed.

Oh, you mean the game changed from concept to final version? That almost never happens :p That's why I don't put much stock into what a company says before the game is released. Everyone has high hopes and expectations, but until the game is out, it's all just talk. I learned this lesson the hard way with Star Wars Galaxies over a decade ago, so now I don't even pay attention to games until they are almost at release. I don't think I even knew Destiny existed more than 2 or 3 months ago.

Trickster

The lack of unique gravity is definitely dissapointing. Their explanation for it even more so, it basically amounts to "because space magic"...

Wow, this is getting ridiculous. You just can't compare the two.. it's sad seeing this thread filled with people piling on Destiny, it really doesn't deserve this.

I agree that comparing it to warframe is pretty misleading like that. But to say Destiny doesn't deserve criticism is silly. Game has been marketed, and even lied about, in a way that gave people ideas about what this game was. And it turns out the game really doesn't live up to what Bungie themselves talked it up to be.

Yeah the caves/tunnels underneath the moon seem to hold a vast majority of the gameplay and unique experiences. I spent hours just fucking around down there... Very little on the surface.

Ah good to know thanks.

Definitely disappointing if there are only 4 maps, but earth was large and diverse so they justified their cost of the game, so I am still doing day one (ghost ps4) as the gameplay is so compelling

The lack of unique gravity is definitely dissapointing. Their explanation for it even more so, it basically amounts to "because space magic"...

yeah, seems like they missed a novel mechanic change there given thats borderlands presequel key environment change

I guess long term some planets have such crushing gravity so they needed that out, but would have been nice to have at least moon exempt (and maybe one other high gravity planet where you jump low, sprint less etc)

QaaQer

yeah, seems like they missed a novel mechanic change there given thats borderlands presequel key environment change

I guess long term some planets have such crushing gravity so they needed that out, but would have been nice to have at least moon exempt (and maybe one other high gravity planet where you jump low, sprint less etc)

Would have loved unique physics for each planet, would have been cool for pvp maps too.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yah I think it's an Alpha pic, I'd like something more recent.

If that's not what you mean by misleading, what do you mean exactly?

The pic shows a lot of locations, which gives the impression of a ton of content, but...

Many of those locations are cloned mission types, a defense on Earth plays exactly like a defense on Saturn (Saturn's gonna be harder, but...). It also doesn't make obvious the fact warframe reuses a lot of assets. They have what they call "tilesets" and levels are made by piecing those tiles together, they aren't uniquely crafted levels.

rav

I thought Chicago was confirmed?

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhNkK4h1oVk#t=72 we were lied to if so, he says we can go to the mountains and such, you cannot.

Went from Day 1 to buy a sealed copy on Craigslist day 1 for 45$

Well, First off, I didn't see any mention of Chicago in the opening. He calls it old Russia a bit later.

2ndly:
He says: 'This is all real this is not a skybox, It's all actual geometry, I could take a stroll down there if I felt like it.', 'how far this area extends off in the distance'
He's talking about rendering actual geometry instead of faking it out, not that there is collision and area to explore out there..

I'm super excited, sure one area per planet is not what I expected, but I'm still pretty happy with what I played in the Alpha and Beta, and looking forward to playing more. :)
To any Bungie devs: I hope you guys can manage your summer crunch, and I'm excited to play your awesome game. (as for us, we're just in the last throws of ending crunch ourselves, and I look forward to spending lots of time with Destiny :) )

BigDug13

The gravity would have been tough due to how some of the classes jump already. Shit the Titan might leave orbit if he double jumps on the moon with proper gravity. :p

Two Words

If we assume Old Russia has twice as many missions as the Beta and those locked off areas are as big as the map indicates, I think we can all agree that Bungie's statements that each planet's campaign will be as long and as large as Halo reach was a lie.

Two Words

Well, First off, I didn't see any mention of Chicago in the opening. He calls it old Russia a bit later.

2ndly:
He says: 'This is all real this is not a skybox, It's all actual geometry, I could take a stroll down there if I felt like it.', 'how far this area extends off in the distance'
He's talking about rendering actual geometry instead of faking it out, not that there is collision and area to explore out there..

I'm super excited, sure one area per planet is not what I expected, but I'm still pretty happy with what I played in the Alpha and Beta, and looking forward to playing more. :)
To any Bungie devs: I hope you guys can manage your summer crunch, and I'm excited to play your awesome game. (as for us, we're just in the last throws of ending crunch ourselves, and I look forward to spending lots of time with Destiny :) )
He explicitly says he can jump down there and continue off that way but won't for today. He doubles back and again says he is not jumping down not because he can't, but because it's not where he needs to go. In reality, he never could go down there. It's a complete lie.

Portugeezer

The gravity would have been tough due to how some of the classes jump already. Shit the Titan might leave orbit if he double jumps on the moon with proper gravity. :p

Obviously judging by the moon in the beta they do not care about the realistic effects of gravity, but they still could have made it more "moon like".

good point, draw distance limit of old gen

I have a feeling that there will be many limits of supporting old gen, it was shocking how nice killzone shadowfall looked after playing destiny

10 year plan is going to start looking dated quick on ps4/xbone

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I wonder where the factions will come into all this. I forgot they were even a thing before I had a look back at the old early info we got on the game.

http://stickskills.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/BDQkrhLCUAE3G3g.jpg

I really hope the we only scratched the depth of the game in the beta and there's a lot they kept under wraps.

Well the New Monarchy works like this, I think their insignia is the middle shirt
Once you reach level 20 and have earned enough marks or was it glimmer you can buy your class item and equip it (Warlock Armband, Titan Towel, Hunter Cape)
From then on, whatever rep you earn be it from Vanguard/Crucible automatically becomes New Monarchy rep
If you want to earn Van or Cru rep, remove said item, keep wearing it and earn rep for that faction

I think that's how it works for the other 2 also, but there might be more to it that is still under-wraps
Even with the leaked BETA datamined info, we can see PVP has a mode dedicated to the FWC

Homeboyd

He explicitly says he can jump down there and continue off that way but won't for today. He doubles back and again says he is not jumping down not because he can't, but because it's not where he needs to go. In reality, he never could go down there. It's a complete lie.
Lol I like this guy. Can you believe they would just LIE like that to us!?!

Soooo mad a Bungie.

BigDug13

good point, draw distance limit of old gen

I have a feeling that there will be many limits of supporting old gen, it was shocking how nice killzone shadowfall looked after playing destiny

10 year plan is going to start looking dated quick on ps4/xbone

I think it would be incredibly stupid for them to release Destiny 2 on PS360 in 2 years. It's just too much of an anchor to gameplay possibilities to have to support such ancient tech with "gameplay parity". I don't think the 10 year plan specifically says the games have to be PS360 releases. Destiny 4 might be on PS5 for all we know since 10 years is a really long time.

Obviously judging by the moon in the beta they do not care about the realistic effects of gravity, but they still could have made it more "moon like".

The Traveler terraformed planets you don't think it could add gravity to the moon?

that is their official explanation btw.

Meneses

Kinda disappointed in the possible lack of variety.

Also, the fact that they already seem to have 2 paid (I think?) expansions "ready" rubs me the wrong way.

Portugeezer

The Traveler terraformed planets you don't think it could add gravity to the moon?

that is their official explanation btw.

With the Moon basically being 1G, the Earth and the Moon should collide, no?

It just seems lazy (and no I don't mean "teh lazy shit devs"), like Bungie made the levels the same way for every planet and just used the same gravity for all.

rav

Yeah, I think that part specifically was to jump off the cliff (And hit a kill plane, which would end the demo short... He was demoing the game you can tell later on when they're in firefights, they're really taking time to be slow and show how things work.)

But a few sentances before, it's almost like he's hinting that he could use a dev mode and get there (we call it free camera), and show off the Art.

In reality he could have gone down there by doing dev stuff, so it wasn't a lie. It's a show. It's freaking E3.

Portugeezer

In Destiny, the law of physics, time and space.

Seriously, it's science fiction meets fantasy. What's so hard to get??

I can suspend my disbelief, but the same gravity for different planets/areas is boring.

Moon might as well have been some rocky earth area at night, did not feel special or different enough, okay it was grey and the skyboxes showed earth but then that got old and played exactly like Old Russia.

BigDug13

Yeah, I think that part specifically was to jump off the cliff (And hit a kill plane, which would end the demo short... He was demoing the game you can tell later on when they're in firefights, they're really taking time to be slow and show how things work.)

But a few sentances before, it's almost like he's hinting that he could use a dev mode and get there (we call it free camera), and show off the Art.

In reality he could have gone down there by doing dev stuff, so it wasn't a lie. It's a show. It's freaking E3.

I've seen giving someone the benefit of the doubt before, but wow. I mean I guess it's possible that's what he meant and had no intent to ever imply that it was part of the explorable game. But it obviously came across to some people like he was saying it was explorable.

Edit - why does Apple want "explorable" to become "exploitable"?

I'm talking about the guild wars 1, and diablo didn't "need" to give us the amount of information it did. Both these games ARE of the same vein, the only difference is Destiny is an FPS, in most other ways they are very similar. I think what you are describing is absolutely silly, that GW and diablo could do it, but destiny cant, cause lore and exploration, sounds like a cop-out honestly.

Who is playing GW or Diablo for the lore? There are those who play the games who enjoy the lore, sure (especially GW1) but the primary draw to both of those games was the gameplay mechanics. As such, that's what most of the information released about those games was about. Gameplay mechanics. Bungie has said that Destiny as a whole will explore the Solar System. It's also well known that Destiny will be an ongoing game where your characters will be persistent and grow as more games come out. Going into the specifics of which planets, when, how many missions per planet, etc... leaves no room for reveals. There's a reason why places like the Serraphim Vault are hidden from even the map information and were only discovered through people glitching the map. It's supposed to be a plot reveal and probably a pretty big one.

I think the issue of it is that this is literally some of the first things they were showing. A lot of people saw them talk about those places as if they were in the game. To confirm they aren't in a tiny live stream and forum is misleading to the millions that only saw the first part of that.

The issue would only be that people are looking at concept art without understanding what concept art is. That people are watching the Game Developer Conference trailers assuming they're talking about content that is meant for the first game when that conference is actually aimed at Developers and discusses creative process and work flow, not game features and launch content.

They're building a lore universe... so of course there's going to be named locations and no all of those locations are going to be places we physically visit. Some of them have been created specifically for background and lore. To make the Universe feel like there is more outside of what we see and play.

So you're fine with the Bungie explanation of The Traveler having come to our Solar System and terraforming all the planets and most moons to be inhabitable by humans... but feel that changing the gravity to be the same as Earths (which would be necessary for optimal Human habitation) is going too far? I can understand the desire for different levels of gravity in terms of gameplay variation but I don't think the logic behind the gravity the same is poor at all.

rav

I've seen giving someone the benefit of the doubt before, but wow. I mean I guess it's possible that's what he meant and had no intent to ever imply that it was part of the exploitable game. But it obviously came across to some people like he was saying it was explorable.

Yeah, I can even forgive that too, demoing at E3 is a .. unique experience. Sometimes, having said the same thing over and over all day, I wasn't even sure what I was saying anymore. I'm probably too forgiving, as I've been in that type of situation.

Trickster

So you're fine with the Bungie explanation of The Traveler having come to our Solar System and terraforming all the planets and most moons to be inhabitable by humans... but feel that changing the gravity to be the same as Earths (which would be necessary for optimal Human habitation) is going too far? I can understand the desire for different levels of gravity in terms of gameplay variation but I don't think the logic behind the gravity the same is poor at all.

I generally dislike the whole "space magic" angle, but at least when applied to mars and venus, it's used to create interesting places for the player to explore. Changing the moons gravity seems like a wasted opportunity to create unique gameplay when the players are on the moon.

They seriously should have changed the gravity. They have the capability and have done it before. I don't know why they decided not to this time.
But you can already jump 50+ feet in the air. Add moon gravity and all of a sudden there is no need for the double jump and it ruins the games awesome traversal mechanics.

I generally dislike the whole "space magic" angle, but at least when applied to mars and venus, it's used to create interesting places for the player to explore. Changing the moons gravity seems like a wasted opportunity to create unique gameplay when the players are on the moon.

Exactly. Space Magic is a fine explanation, but it really should be used to justify something interesting. Walking on a habitable Venus and Mars is interesting, walking on the moon at 1g is not.

Two Words

Jesus Christ. He literally says "I'm not going to go there, not because I can't, but because we're not doing that today." Should I assume any dev saying "I can even go to that mountain over there" has n implied citation that it can only be done with dev tools? The dude lied. It's nothing but a 3D geometry skyline. And that's fine if that's what it is, just don't lie about it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Jesus Christ. He literally says "I'm not going to go there, not because I can't, but because we're not doing that today." Should I assume any dev saying "I can even go to that mountain over there" has n implied citation that it can only be done with dev tools? The dude lied. It's nothing but a 3D geometry skyline. And that's fine if that's what it is, just don't lie about it.

Lied? Is it lying if a developer has something planned for a game but then later realizes that it can't be implemented because of time/resource limitations? Seriously?

Well, after going to bed and waking up the battle rages on. I think it's pretty safe to say Bungie has a certified hit on their hands. Seems like games with lots of "cancelled pre-orders" usually perform in spectacular fashion, Watch Dogs comes to mind in the recent months.

Seriously, everybody gets it, a lot of you feel ripped off content wise by a game that's not even out until September. You have jumped to all sorts of conclusions despite someone from Bungie coming here multiple times to listen to and attempt to alleviate and quell your "concerns" by giving you as much info as he can. It's still not enough. We get it. It's Monday though, Shouldn't you guys be going to Gamestop to get your collective five bucks each back at this point? Get out there and put a hurting' on Bungie!

God damn, seriously, cut them some slack at least until they make an announcement on content. Sheesh.

Well, after going to bed and waking up the battle rages on. I think it's pretty safe to say Bungie has a certified hit on their hands. Seems like games with lots of "cancelled pre-orders" usually perform in spectacular fashion, Watch Dogs comes to mind in the recent months.

Seriously, everybody gets it, a lot of you feel ripped off content wise by a game that's not even out until September. You have jumped to all sorts of conclusions despite someone from Bungie coming here multiple times to listen to and attempt to alleviate and quell your "concerns" by giving you as much info as he can. It's still not enough. We get it. It's Monday though, Shouldn't you guys be going to Gamestop to get your collective five bucks each back at this point? Get out there and put a hurting' on Bungie!

God damn, seriously, cut them some slack at least until they make an announcement on content. Sheesh.

Some are a little salty , Destiny is still going too sell a lot most likely .

Bungie pr representative did nothing to quell people's concerns. If everyone cut them some slack, they would never need to make an announcement.

Top Bottom