• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

I generally dislike the whole "space magic" angle, but at least when applied to mars and venus, it's used to create interesting places for the player to explore. Changing the moons gravity seems like a wasted opportunity to create unique gameplay when the players are on the moon.

Except that each planetary/satellite location that has PvE also has PvP maps. Having one or two maps with change in gameplay as all encompassing as a different amount of gravity is pretty drastic and likely wouldn't be received well by competitive players.

Two Words

Lied? Is it lying if a developer has something planned for a game but then later realizes that it can't be implemented because of time/resource limitations? Seriously?
If they never retract that claim, yes. Why should I give them the benefit of the doubt that they ever intended to let you explore out there if they don't correct themselves?

Lied? Is it lying if a developer has something planned for a game but then later realizes that it can't be implemented because of time/resource limitations? Seriously?

I would think the argument would be that it is deception by omission if over the course of development they scaled back the scope without addressing their earlier public claims. I don't believe for a second that they were lying when they were making the claims but I wish publisher/developers communicated better when development realities force changes that significantly invalidate earlier claims. Not every little change of course but major changes to what were in the past selling points for your game. This is an industry wide issue however. This case is far from unique.

Well, after going to bed and waking up the battle rages on. I think it's pretty safe to say Bungie has a certified hit on their hands. Seems like games with lots of "cancelled pre-orders" usually perform in spectacular fashion, Watch Dogs comes to mind in the recent months.

Seriously, everybody gets it, a lot of you feel ripped off content wise by a game that's not even out until September. You have jumped to all sorts of conclusions despite someone from Bungie coming here multiple times to listen to and attempt to alleviate and quell your "concerns" by giving you as much info as he can. It's still not enough. We get it. It's Monday though, Shouldn't you guys be going to Gamestop to get your collective five bucks each back at this point? Get out there and put a hurting' on Bungie!

God damn, seriously, cut them some slack at least until they make an announcement on content. Sheesh.

Well said. I think Destiny is definitely open to criticism, but it seems many are criticizing it for what it isn't, rather than what it is.

Yes, it's unfortunate it doesn't quite have the scope of the original pitch.. but it seems we're forgetting just how many hours of fun the alpha and beta have given people.

I think that beyond what Destiny isn't, it's most definitely a game where the core combat is fun and addictive. I think it's a shame earth is only Old Russia, but at the same time I know I'm still going to get 20+ hours of fun out of that area alone.. the level of detail and polish in the environments, lore and enemy design that I've seen from the beta has me more than satisfied. The game isn't deserving to be dismissed in this manner.

If they can keep the gameplay challenging and have unique events and missions in any one setting, I don't care if the locations are recycled (as they are so detailed and gorgeous), the gameplay more than makes up for the lack of locations.

Jesus Christ. He literally says "I'm not going to go there, not because I can't, but because we're not doing that today." Should I assume any dev saying "I can even go to that mountain over there" has n implied citation that it can only be done with dev tools? The dude lied. It's nothing but a 3D geometry skyline. And that's fine if that's what it is, just don't lie about it.

If I'm not mistaken the same "I can travel anywhere I can see" type of comment was made during Skyrim's announcement Dev playthrough.. and when the game came out it turned out that you couldn't travel to every mountaintop that you see.

Stop taking things so literal. Because if Devs had to limit everything so blatantly obvious then every open world game would have to literally be walled in at the borders because "Why can't I swim in that water? Why can't I climb over that mountain? Why can't I do anything I ever want to in any way I can imagine it?"

Nzyme32

Out of the loop here again - Is it true bungie lied about this previously? Some reddit posts point to this being the case but I don't usually expect that from Bungie...

Effect

I was wondering about this as I played the beta. That's really disappointing. If only one area per planet is what they're doing then it's more likely there will be no varied look to the area other then perhaps night and day. It's easier to have all the missions look the same and have differences between the planets. The same assets will be used for all the missions in that area. Earth/Old Russia got old very quickly for me because of this.

Then there is the issue with there likely going to be no environmental changes as a result of your actions from mission to mission if the boss fights are taking place in their own hidden area at the end of the dungeon crawl or well sprint in this case since you are urged to keep moving forward with no need to explore. Which is really making the hub world an interesting and perhaps pointless illusion in the end. Why not just toss people into a mission via match making instead of having them travel to the mission door and respect everyone's time?

I had already decided not to pick up the game after playing. I quickly realized the type of game it was (compared to how it was being presented originally) and that I already had games that fulfilled what they were trying to do with Destiny. The story as presented just wasn't that interesting to make me want to see more. So it stopped being a factor when it came to deciding if now was the time to finally pick up a PS4. Though I was wondering if I wasn't giving it a fair shake but this makes me feel even better about deciding to take a pass on it.

Doran902

Out of the loop here again - Is it true bungie lied about this previously? Some reddit posts point to this being the case but I don't usually expect that from Bungie...

I wouldn't say they lied as much as they used marketing hype instead of actual information to promote the game which led to wild speculation and unreasonable expectations that are now being brought back down to earth.

Experien

More of an indirect lie...they alluded to the idea that you could fully explore planets/old russia but they never said "see that mountain? you can go there" like Nintendo did with the new Zelda.

It is still a huge bummer and I am probably cancelling my pre-order cause I didn't like PvP and the "little" space you can explore on Earth was quite barren, boring, and a bit uninspired. You have open area to fight, walk down a corridor with no enemies to a new open area to fight, rinse repeat.

Yeah, this really disappointed me. They made it sound like the areas would be massive, open and fully explorable. Instead, you only get to explore a tiny fraction of what you can see. Old Russia gives off the illusion of a vast expanse ready to explore, but the moment you actually try you're greeted by invisible walls and death triggers. Really bugged me how artificially restricted your movement is.

Stop killin my hype man :/

It is still a huge bummer and I am probably cancelling my pre-order cause I didn't like PvP and the "little" space you can explore on Earth was quite barren, boring, and a bit uninspired. You have open area to fight, walk down a corridor with no enemies to a new open area to fight, rinse repeat.

I really don't understand this.. I thought that the 'little' space was quite big, extremely detailed and atmospheric, and made for some great battle environments.

At certain times I was just standing around, enjoying the views and taking in the ambiance.

My one complaint would be that the skybox looks so inviting, it's basically begging you to take your vehicle down there and roam the vast deserts and forests you see in the distance.. oh, and the lack of destructibility in the environments.

Experien

I was wondering about this as I played the beta. That's really disappointing. If only one area per planet is what they're doing then it's more likely there will be no varied look to the area other then perhaps night and day. It's easier to have all the missions look the same and have differences between the planets. The same assets will be used for all the missions in that area. Earth/Old Russia got old very quickly for me because of this.

Then there is the issue with there likely going to be no environmental changes as a result of your actions from mission to mission if the boss fights are taking place in their own hidden area at the end of the dungeon crawl or well sprint in this case since you are urged to keep moving forward with no need to explore. Which is really making the hub world an interesting and perhaps pointless illusion in the end. Why not just toss people into a mission via match making instead of having them travel to the mission door and respect everyone's time?

I had already decided not to pick up the game after playing. I quickly realized the type of game it was (compared to how it was being presented originally) and that I already had games that fulfilled what they were trying to do with Destiny. The story as presented just wasn't that interesting to make me want to see more. So it stopped being a factor when it came to deciding if now was the time to finally pick up a PS4. Though I was wondering if I wasn't giving it a fair shake but this makes me feel even better about deciding to take a pass on it.

But should we expect differently? In the first Halo game, they constantly reused the same levels to make new levels. "Oh look, go into this building is level 2, but leaving it is level 3!" Everything looked the same.

If I'm not mistaken the same "I can travel anywhere I can see" type of comment was made during Skyrim's announcement Dev playthrough.. and when the game came out it turned out that you couldn't travel to every mountaintop that you see.

Stop taking things so literal. Because if Devs had to limit everything so blatantly obvious then every open world game would have to literally be walled in at the borders because "Why can't I swim in that water? Why can't I climb over that mountain? Why can't I do anything I ever want to in any way I can imagine it?"
Taking things at face value is a crime now? God damn. If I tell someone " You can do X" in my game it is because YOU CAN. It is a decidedly literal statement, not some obfuscation with multiple interpretations.

Two Words

He said "You can walk down that field". If you can't walk down that field, what exactly is wrong with calling out that lie? I'm not demanding this game let you walk down any field you see. I just do t want to be mislead.

ryuken-d

Grimløck;122862406 said:
we've basically done all of earth in the beta.

so there's 3 areas left?

this just cant be true, if lvl 8 is straching the surface and they want this to have long legs, I've heard 10 years! lol. stop the doom and gloom and get ready cause I'm sure they wouldnt fuck this up.

also played the beta it was amazing, no problems what so ever and it looks fucking great on PS4. I'm very impressed.

Hunters will be triple jumping in the full game. Triple jumping on the moon with lower gravity?

Would feel like playing Unreal Tournament of old in the space maps ....

wait ... those maps were badass.

Ok, give me an instagib wep and we are good.

Experien

I really don't understand this.. I thought that the 'little' space was quite big, extremely detailed and atmospheric, and made for some great battle environments.

At certain times I was just standing around, enjoying the views and taking in the ambiance.

My one complaint would be that the skybox looks so inviting, it's basically begging you to take your vehicle down there and roam the vast deserts and forests you see in the distance.. oh, and the lack of destructibility in the environments.

It was detailed but it wasn't that interesting because nothing felt new. Maybe cause I've played a ton of Borderlands that it didn't seem like a fresh concept with how the designed it out. I didn't even play much of the Beta cause I was so bored with everything there.

Nipo

If I tell a client I will deliver something then don't update them and give them a deliverable with parts lacking they are going to be annoyed even if you don't consider it a lie. I realize we are getting to the point this is to be expected in the video game industry but I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility of hold them to the same standard other industries are

Nzyme32

I wouldn't say they lied as much as they used marketing hype instead of actual information to promote the game which led to wild speculation and unreasonable expectations that are now being brought back down to earth.

More of an indirect lie...they alluded to the idea that you could fully explore planets/old russia but they never said "see that mountain? you can go there" like Nintendo did with the new Zelda.

Thanks. Kind of hard to judge it since I haven't played the alpha/beta or anything yet. At the same time, part of what had me interested was having very large unique areas to explore, and discover rather than just levelling up, shooting around and doing mission stuff the whole time.. smaller areas just make it into more of the same of the usual shooters

In that case, they should just make a public statement about it. "During our Destiny presentation at E3 2013, we made a comment about everything the player sees being real, explorable geometry. That is no longer the case." Keeping quiet about dropped features you previously hyped up (and probably helped motivate people to pre-order) is slimy shit.

He said "You can walk down that field". If you can't walk down that field, what exactly is wrong with calling out that lie? I'm not demanding this game let you walk down any field you see. I just do t want to be mislead.

You could walk down that field, as it's real geometry. That doesn't mean the game is going to let you.

All he was talking about was the lack of fake skybox landscapes, like you see in many games. Everything you see is really there.

Experien

this just cant be true, if lvl 8 is straching the surface and they want this to have long legs, I've heard 10 years! lol. stop the doom and gloom and get ready cause I'm sure they wouldnt fuck this up.

also played the beta it was amazing, no problems what so ever and it looks fucking great on PS4. I'm very impressed.

They expect people to replay this like crazy. Sure lvl 8 is a small number but do the Strikes on hard difficulty and do a lot of multiplayer (and DLC lulz)...you could easily get to lvl 50 with the way people play Halo games. Saying lvl 8 is a low point does not have anything to do with how much campaign/areas they have, just means the lvl cap is not small.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You could walk down that field, as it's real geometry. That doesn't mean the game is going to let you.

All he was talking about was the lack of fake skybox landscapes, like you see in many games. Everything you see is really there.
No he wasn't. He said the only reason he isn't going down there is in the interest of time. The implication is that you can go there in the game.

Experien

Thanks. Kind of hard to judge it since I haven't played the alpha/beta or anything yet. At the same time, part of what had me interested was having very large unique areas to explore, and discover rather than just levelling up, shooting around and doing mission stuff the whole time.. smaller areas just make it into more of the same of the usual shooters

Only ONE area of of Russia felt as big as Blood Gultch or however you spell it and it was littered with broken planes obstructing the field. Combining all the small corridors linking areas, empty rooms, and actual areas...Old Russia is maybe the size of 3 Blood Gulches?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Haven't posted in this thread yet myself but just wanted to say the thread title itself is really alarming, the size of the areas is not really being conveyed.

Example: I put over 24 hours into this limited section.

I understand how this could be a problem for some people who need more of an aesthetic change after hours of play but I am not worried about a limit of things to do and places to see.

Tons of closed off areas in the beta guarded by higher levels. I am sure there will be plenty to see come release.

The dev led us to believe it's an open world. So this whole time, I was expecting an open world shooter with RPG elements - exactly as they sold it as being during E3 2013. Having played the Beta, it's instead:
- RPG lite with simple point upgrades for armor/weapons.
- Playing the same map over and over, grinding, grinding, grinding.
- The same enemies in the same spots over and over, with hit point increases.

Now, if the universe [planets] and areas within were abundant, one could possibly look past the second and third items I listed above. All that said, I'll wait for it to go on sale. I'll play Skyrim in the meantime for my action RPG fix, and Halo for my FPS fix. Both of which are superior to what seems a half attempt at both in Destiny.

Symbiotx

The "concerns" have steamrolled into speculation and meritless hypothesizing along with a gigantic dose of entitlement. There obviously will be no quelling.

lol exactly. I played the alpha/beta for about 20 hours. That was for a limited, walled, free experience that I would've played even more if it wasn't shut down, and it's just a small chunk of what's there.
People don't even know how long everything is or what Bungie will be doing to keep things fresh and they've already decided it's too small.

Think what you want, but this game is definitely going to give me my $60's worth ($90 really since I pre-ordered the version with the expansions).

Two Words

Oh man, you're drinking the koolaid real bad.

Crosseyes

Banned
It was detailed but it wasn't that interesting because nothing felt new. Maybe cause I've played a ton of Borderlands that it didn't seem like a fresh concept with how the designed it out. I didn't even play much of the Beta cause I was so bored with everything there.
If you didn't play much you would've never gotten into the gearing up phase of the game which does it a million times better than borderlands.

On top of that the beta had only abandoned human made earth locations as the exploreable location for all but 2 hours of the beta, not an original setting but most found plenty of content and enjoyability out of it.

When they open up and flesh out a hollowed out alien infested moon further along with terraformed and transformed mars and venus I don't see how one could look at those type of locations and ideas and call them unoriginal and boring.

All and all this thread is a lot of complaining about lack of content when with the beta we've only seen one world, a glimpse of another. While seeing nothing of two full worlds and whatever there is further in the tower, reef, crucible, and the worlds we've already been to so far.

cripterion

I feel like we've gone around in circles but some of the people that keep trying to defend this...what has you so invested? It's not like a bit of valid concerns and criticism is going to doom this game, it will come out and be successful.

Reading through the thread I do feel lied to. Not saying I am emotionally hurt but Bungie lied. Someone said it best, if I tell a client I will be able to do something and I don't do it or submit a deliverable with pieces missing, they have the right to call me out on it.

I truly dislike how the gaming industry refuses to take accountability sometimes and can't handle negative reactions. No one is saying rebuild the game and release it for free but just acknowledge that earlier statements are now false but there are possibilities for expansion later.

How much money you got?

three fiddy.

I believe he says that they could go down that path right now...

This video:

So on Reddit someone posted this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTfhrONAp-c&feature=youtu.be&t=2m1s

In it the guys says "...that we hope one day, we'll get to send you to"

Why are they building stuff that they are clearly intending to add in after release (mostly likely as paid DLC) before the game releases...?

Start at 2:22. He specifically says "So all of this is playable space that we hope to one day get to send you to. It is all real geometry, you could go there, we could go there right now."

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
lol exactly. I played the alpha/beta for about 20 hours. That was for a limited, walled, free experience that I would've played even more if it wasn't shut down, and it's just a small chunk of what's there.
People don't even know how long everything is or what Bungie will be doing to keep things fresh and they've already decided it's too small.

Think what you want, but this game is definitely going to give me my $60's worth ($90 really since I pre-ordered the version with the expansions).

Same for me, but with 21 hours in beta plus whatever I spent in alpha. Probably 10-12 there.

I'll get more than my $90 worth out of the digital guardian edition. But I get that others expecting more variety in locations, more social interaction etc are disappointed. I'm not an MMO guy, so the way the game has panned out is great for me as I just wanted it to be a nice mesh up of Halo and Borderlands to play with friends. And that's exactly what I'm getting.

I'm not worried one bit.

Bungie has a tendency to deliver games that are replayable for years. You play the same missions and multiplayer maps over and over again, yet the experience is slightly different each time... especially when playing with friends cooperatively.

Plus we'll be getting expansions. I like that word over "DLC" because it suggests they will bring forth plenty of new content for us to enjoy.

In Bungie, I believe.

Nzyme32

Reading through the thread I do feel lied to. Not saying I am emotionally hurt but Bungie lied. Someone said it best, if I tell a client I will be able to do something and I don't do it or submit a deliverable with pieces missing, they have the right to call me out on it.

I truly dislike how the gaming industry refuses to take accountability sometimes and can't handle negative reactions. No one is saying rebuild the game and release it for free but just acknowledge that earlier statements are now false but there are possibilities for expansion later.

three fiddy.

I suppose the good thing is that now you know, and before you've actually got the game and have to worry about returns and stuff if it is significant to you. Ball is pretty much in your court

KoopaTheCasual

I feel like we've gone around in circles but some of the people that keep trying to defend this...what has you so invested? It's not like a bit of valid concerns and criticism is going to doom this game, it will come out and be successful.
Seriously, I'm so confused. They implied something, and now we see it's not the case. Outside of a few loonies, I don't see overreactions. I see most overreactions from the defense force, tbh. I see comments of "I feel disappointed" next to comments of "you guys are being hyperbolic and ridiculous!"

The game will still sell by the truckload, but are we not allowed to say something, when it's not even inflammatory?

Experien

If you didn't play much you would've never gotten into the gearing up phase of the game which does it a million times better than borderlands.

On top of that the beta had only abandoned human made earth locations as the exploreable location for all but 2 hours of the beta, not an original setting but most found plenty of content and enjoyability out of it.

When they open up and flesh out a hollowed out alien infested moon further along with terraformed and transformed mars and venus I don't see how one could look at those type of locations and ideas and call them unoriginal and boring.

All and all this thread is a lot of complaining about lack of content when with the beta we've only seen one world, a glimpse of another. While seeing nothing of two full worlds and whatever there is further in the tower, reef, crucible, and the worlds we've already been to so far.

I played the alpha and leveled up like crazy. Got bored of doing the same thing in the beta so I got to lvl 8 with around 200 defense and stopped. It is a poor-man's lootwhore game. I've played plenty of better lootwhore games and this didn't satisfy me like those.

The Moon & Venus multiplayer maps were not enticing. Crucible is just PvP/deathmatch garbage. You can't lump that in with explorable areas. The Tower is not going to be smaller than a medium part of Old Russia, if you are using that to add the amount of "exploration" than you crazy.

Top Bottom