• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: Only one area per planet

QaaQer

It's not a negative game mechanic in any other MMO-esque game that's ever released. I've followed tons of them and MMO players never complain about static spawns in the world. I've literally only seen it here, with Destiny, and I think it has a lot to do with players being more familiar with FPS games than MMO games and having different expectations.

And yes, the additional players adds more to the experience than having random enemy spawns even without the ability to communicate with them on the fly. Because it acknowledges and reinforces the lore of there being other Guardians out there on their own missions, fighting in their own ways. You may cross paths with them but have different goals over all.

They actually are "randomized" just a tad in that they often respawn by way of dropships that fly in with replacement squads. The dropships actively fire on any Players in the vicinity to allow their squads to deploy and the squads themselves then patrol to their stationed area. There are also random un-named and un-marked events where Patrols on Pikes may fly through a zone attacking players or rival NPC enemies have huge battles. This is actually a lot more unique a way to bring life to these enemies than most other MMO's bother with.

And yet there are those that are complaining that the areas that are already in the game are too sparse and empty. So whose desires are more important? Yours or Theirs? It's simply no possible to accommodate everyone.

destiny isn't an mmo.

The issue is we only find out about these cuts via random throw-away comments on streams or, worse, after the game ships. If developers were open and communicative about dropped features, there wouldn't be a problem.

I suggest you look into the various fan funded games that have been and are being created. Even when a developer is completely open about changes, limitiations, content cuts, content delays, the fans respond negatively.

There will always be some form of negativity no matter what a Dev does. That's to be expected. What I'm finding to be particularly nasty is that lately, almost every bit of negativity tends to become accusatory towards the Devs. Devs gonna have DLC at some point in the future? They must've cut content from the main release! Devs have to delay the game? They must've screwed something up or are doing a poor job making the game! Devs said there would be Blue but now it's Green? They lied to our faces!

I understand disappointment. I understand not liking the direction that a Dev may choose to take. However it's not all some grand scheme meant to rip off or insult the players/potential players.

cripterion

It's not a negative game mechanic in any other MMO-esque game that's ever released. I've followed tons of them and MMO players never complain about static spawns in the world. I've literally only seen it here, with Destiny, and I think it has a lot to do with players being more familiar with FPS games than MMO games and having different expectations.

And yes, the additional players adds more to the experience than having random enemy spawns even without the ability to communicate with them on the fly. Because it acknowledges and reinforces the lore of there being other Guardians out there on their own missions, fighting in their own ways. You may cross paths with them but have different goals over all.

They actually are "randomized" just a tad in that they often respawn by way of dropships that fly in with replacement squads. The dropships actively fire on any Players in the vicinity to allow their squads to deploy and the squads themselves then patrol to their stationed area. There are also random un-named and un-marked events where Patrols on Pikes may fly through a zone attacking players or rival NPC enemies have huge battles. This is actually a lot more unique a way to bring life to these enemies than most other MMO's bother with.

Then I stand corrected.

I remember about the flying ships spawning mobs, firing on me and even dropping grenades, but everytime I went through that tunnel area east of where you spawn, I was greeted by the same composition of mobs at the exact same location (where you first find your ship) and then it was the same with the next area with 2 snipers on the roof, etc...

BigDug13

It's certainly MMO-esque though. It shares many game mechanics with MMO's. Sure, its not an MMO, but its similar.

Right. It adopts many negative aspects of MMO's and providing very little of the community aspects that makes people enjoy the mechanics more. MMO's are locked in to having specific mechanics that must be adhered to because it's a community of players in the game world. MMO players are ok with the mechanics because the massive number of players in their community makes it worthwhile.

The more a game strips out the "community" part, it makes the inclusion of more limiting MMO mechanics not seem as worthwhile. Destiny with their "can only communicate with people on your friend list even if they're in your fire team" strips the MMO community aspects.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If companies wan to really push pre-ordering their games then some level of transparency should be there along the whole way. This isn't me saying I am entitled as a gamer. No I am entitled as a consumer. I put my money down backing you, and you can use my pre-order and the pre-orders of others to brag to your investors. I want to know what I have purchased and of course a company could want to hide some aspects of a game, but if features are removed it should be publicized.

We wouldn't let other industries get away with this, what is different about gaming?
I meant that the game would also be announced closer to release, so you can't even pre-order it.

But I would however in your scenario question why you would pre-order something that hasn't been shown in the first place.

Two Words

You understand that logic like this is the very reason why Developers can't talk about anything until the game ships right? Because people will say they were mislead or lied to as if that was the Developer intention from the start when the reality is often that sometimes things just don't come together the way they're intended and they get scrapped or reworked. Again, Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Devs either:
+Say very little about the games features.
-Fans respond negatively about lack of information and assume something bad is being hidden/avoided.
+Talk about features vaguely to give fans an idea.
-Some fans respond negatively to the lack of clarity while others make assumptions and are upset when those assumptions turn out not to be true.
+Talk about features in-depth, release a ton of info.
-Fans complain about feature changes or cuts during the dev process. Use it as a sign that the Devs are unskilled, lack project control, or over-promise.
Can you stop talking beyond what I said? Don't explicitly lie. Don't make statements intended to mislead. That's all I'm saying.

Uiki

Perhaps at one point this was true?

With how the early interviews in February 2013 were, and what was said back then, it feels like Destiny started with one vision and ended up being another. The actual gameplay never changing, but the scope of the world seems to have been scaled back for whatever reason.

It can be, sure. I'm kinda leaning towards that explanation.

Or you can do an experiment.

Watch the video without the "look at the horizon part". And suddely the presentation feels just like a cool looking generic coop-fps with loot.

I suggest you look into the various fan funded games that have been and are being created. Even when a developer is completely open about changes, limitiations, content cuts, content delays, the fans respond negatively.

I never said disappointment-free. Obviously when you announce a feature and it gets cut people will be disappointed or upset, but better to find out when it happens than when it ships.

I meant that the game would also be announced closer to release, so you can't even pre-order it.

But I would however in your scenario question why you would pre-order something that hasn't been shown in the first place.

In this exact scenario, what consumers thought was real gameplay have been shown. Descriptions of the game have been given to the public.

Are we giving companies in the gaming industry too much slack if we justify their behaviors by saying "take everything with a grain of salt" instead of believing what we hear for face value? I thought the phrase was "under promise, over delivery" but instead we allow the gaming industry to do the exact opposite.

And just to clarify, I am not upset about the news, I am even more excited for the sequel assuming it will be just PS4/Xbone/PC. I just do not like the apologetic tone consumers have with companies and I do not like companies feeling entitled to consumers.

Orayn

Right. It adopts many negative aspects of MMO's and providing very little of the community aspects that makes people enjoy the mechanics more. MMO's are locked in to having specific mechanics that must be adhered to because it's a community of players in the game world. The more a game strips out the "community" part, it makes the inclusion of more limiting MMO mechanics not seem as worthwhile.

A few changes would go a long way.
  • Defaulting Fireteams to open
  • Short of that, adding a clan list similar to a friends list and letting us join/invite from that.
  • Allowing for seamless Fireteam joining if you're already in the same mode and area.
  • Adding opt-in proximity voice chat to Explore/Story and team voice chat to Crucible
  • Implementing some form of player economy. (They do intend to have one at some point.)

Two Words

There will always be some form of negativity no matter what a Dev does. That's to be expected. What I'm finding to be particularly nasty is that lately, almost every bit of negativity tends to become accusatory towards the Devs. Devs gonna have DLC at some point in the future? They must've cut content from the main release! Devs have to delay the game? They must've screwed something up or are doing a poor job making the game! Devs said there would be Blue but now it's Green? They lied to our faces!

I understand disappointment. I understand not liking the direction that a Dev may choose to take. However it's not all some grand scheme meant to rip off or insult the players/potential players.
Why should we care how some other nebulous group of people react to better circumstances? You're basically saying "It doesn't matter if they communicated better because some other group of people would still be upset". Okay, good for them. What does that matter to me and my desire to be communicated to properly?

It can be, sure. I'm kinda leaning towards that explanation.

Or you can do an experiment.

Watch the video without the "look at the horizon part". And suddely the presentation feels just like a cool looking generic coop-fps with loot.

Maybe they originally planned to create that epic space saga with massive exploration zones within each moon / planet. But probably saw the development cycle required for that sort of scope, the budget needed and the release window from the tech team and said ... hahahahah no.

So perhaps, as the game grows and goes current-gen only and they get time to really work on nothing but the worlds, they will open up to the original idea of " see that mountain? Jump in your pike and take a ride over there ! "

Or perhaps they couldn't get a story to fit that sort of scope. Who knows. Something feels like it changed though.

Yeah people in an MMO never complain because they're playing an MMO. Continually repeating outloud that Destiny is an MMO doesn't make it one. 16 player instances of players you have no way to communicate with is not an MMO. A non-MMO adopting MMO mechanics is not a good thing when the game could have been made with instances for your group only and could have adopted more dynamic spawning and a more believable world. It is my opinion that Destiny has adopted MMO mechanics without providing an adequate MMO experience to outweigh the negatives of that mechanic.

That's not to say the game is bad, but it limits how dynamic the content can be.

I'm not saying the game is an MMO but they've chosen to go with MMO-esque content. And while I respect that you feel a more heavily instanced game with only your private group would be more fun, opinions are opinions. I enjoy the spawns the way they are. There is no pause in a game like this. Knowing where enemies will spawn allows me to find a corner real quick if I need to set the game down for a moment. I also really enjoy the way the enemy reinforces themselves through drop ships or out of buildings.

destiny isn't an mmo.

I'm not saying it is but it certainly takes a lot of gameplay elements from the MMO genre.

Then I stand corrected.

I remember about the flying ships spawning mobs, firing on me and even dropping grenades, but everytime I went through that tunnel area east of where you spawn, I was greeted by the same composition of mobs at the exact same location (where you first find your ship) and then it was the same with the next area with 2 snipers on the roof, etc...

In the end, the enemies will be in the same places each time you visit, generally (even then they typically have very small patrol zones.. I mean we're talking maybe 10ft of pathing?) but when they "respawn" a lot of times they've dropped in an area a bit further from their station points and they patrol to those points and then take up sentry.

Lrrr

A company's goal is to separate you from your money (yes, even Bungie). Your job, assuming your responsible, is to spend your hard-earned money wisely. Stop being a "fan" and be an intelligent consumer.

If Bungie delivers a game you find has value, then go ahead and purchase it. If you feel like they've deliberately misled or lied to you, then don't support their business practice and find a game that does. I've played both the Alpha and Beta and Destiny isn't looking particularly appealing to me for a variety of reasons and this "one zone per planet" thing is just icing on the cake. The response by Urk I saw in the OP didn't help quell any concerns I have either.

I think it's very telling that Bungie has already announced TWO so-called expansion sets (at $30 a pop), but haven't seen fit to detail what the retail game consist of and there's about 40 days to go. That should tell you what their priorities are.

Two Words

A few changes would go a long way.
  • Defaulting Fireteams to open
  • Short of that, adding a clan list similar to a friends list, and allowing clan invites in-game.
  • Allowing for seamless Fireteam joining if you're already in the same area.
  • Adding opt-in proximity voice chat to Explore/Story and team voice chat to Crucible
  • Implementing some form of player economy. (They do intend to have one at some point.)
Press R3 when looking at players to get options that include adding them to your fire team.

No, i wasn't pointing at the actuall bullshit the pulled.

I was pointing on HOW they did it. In that video he's almost arrogant and he puts so much emphasis on how it's all geometry and explorable... that's why i'm baffled.

Usually you say "hey, we got an open world game!" and if there are invisible walls and non-walkable zones... no one says anything. You do not go "LOOK, LOOK, HUGE EXPLORABLE WORLD!" knowing that you have what we saw in the beta.

It's not a mistake.

I agree that it was misleading. I really don't believe it was intentional. I just don't pay much attention to what these "gamers" say during these things. Usually its forced, idiotic bullshit. Here's another "lie", I seem to remember, from that presentation, that when someone joined your fire team you would see their ship drop them off if you were on the surface. I don't remember that happening in the beta. Shit, I better go cancel my preorder!

I'll say it again. All these supposed cancelled preorders and gripes over absolutely everything the game contains tell me it's going to be HUGE sales wise. The tempest in a teapot threads are crazy. The more Gaf bitching and nitpicking that goes on the better it sells, 9 times out of 10.

KoopaTheCasual

You're right. They made a mistake years ago that they never bothered to fix. Cancel your pre-order. Never mind the fact that you haven't even played it.
Ah, I see you're taking the mature route in this discussion. So you're saying "so what? they made a misleading comment, go away."

Why can't you be rational and say, "you know what that comment wasn't the best idea, but I'm sure the game will more than make up for it."

The defense for this is really really perplexing.

BigDug13

I agree that it was misleading. I really don't believe it was intentional. I just don't pay much attention to what these "gamers" say during these things. Usually its forced, idiotic bullshit. Here's another "lie", I seem to remember, from that presentation, that when someone joined your fire team you would see their ship drop them off if you were on the surface. I don't remember that happening in the beta. Shit, I better go cancel my preorder!

I'll say it again. All these supposed cancelled preorders and gripes over absolutely everything the game contains tell me it's going to be HUGE sales wise. The tempest in a teapot threads are crazy. The more Gaf bitching and nitpicking that goes on the better it sells, 9 times out of 10.

Who cares if people preorder or cancel preorders? Preorders are a stupid thing to begin with for a product that has zero shortages of supply. But preorder cancellation shaming? I don't get it.

benny_a

In this exact scenario, what consumers thought was real gameplay have been shown. Descriptions of the game have been given to the public.

Are we giving companies in the gaming industry too much slack if we justify their behaviors by saying "take everything with a grain of salt" instead of believing what we hear for face value? I thought the phrase was "under promise, over delivery" but instead we allow the gaming industry to do the exact opposite.

And just to clarify, I am not upset about the news, I am even more excited for the sequel assuming it will be just PS4/Xbone/PC. I just do not like the apologetic tone consumers have with companies and I do not like companies feeling entitled to consumers.
We're talking past each other it seems.

I don't defend Bungie's obvious misleading comment. They straight up misrepresented their game at E3 2013 when they said that area is playable space.

It isn't. The implication based on those comments made by Bungie employees at E3 2013 were that the game was an open world game.

I was just countering the argument that somehow we have to feel sorry for Bungie that the game changed.

Here are some of my thoughts:

I hadn't followed Destiny at all; played the alpha and preordered a second PS4, the next very next day (white Destiny bundle). This is a game I'd love to play with my SO and I think it'll bring co-op camaraderie in spades.

I have since paid off the PS4 bundle and paid off the 'Ghost Edition' of Destiny. I played little of the beta, because I didn't want to playout my playthrough of Old Russia, too far before the game ships.

Now, as someone spending a decent amount of cash on the game, I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Old Russia is the ONLY Earth zone, at launch and included (not a fan of Russian social politics aside).

This would mean we've played 1/4 or 1/5 of the games content already and while expansions are available at launch (1/2 of the games initial cost); these announced add-ons should add new zones - or new zones at no cost to the expansion pass owners - who've paid or are paying for another 1/2 of the game, in cost.

My fear is that Bungie and Activision are going to parcel out and piecemeal content. - like Activision has done for Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Rock Band, Call of Duty, etc.

People might be okay with that, but I have trepidations.

Is this how Destiny will be:

Base game $60 (Mercury, Venus, Moon, Earth, Mars and Reef/Tower)

Saturn $15-20 + Earth Chicago

Expansion for additional missions $15

Jupiter $15-20 + Earth

Neptune $15-20 + Saturn Zone 2

Uranus $15-20 + Jupiter Zone 3

Pluto $15-20 + Neptune Zone 2

Etc..

Basically, ship the game with 4 playable zones $60, for 4 more zones later another $60? (When the announced Dark Below might only add content in existing space, not new zones?)

This will get expensive real fast, if Skylanders DLC is any precedent (I know, I own many if those)...

Anyhow, Urk - I'm wavering on canceling both the PS4/Ghost if the game is launched with little exploitable space/zones and then expected to pay a shit ton more, if the 2 expansions give no additional area/zones....

A company's goal is to separate you from your money (yes, even Bungie). Your job, assuming your responsible, is to spend your hard-earned money wisely. Stop being a "fan" and be an intelligent consumer.

If Bungie delivers a game you find has value, then go ahead and purchase it. If you feel like they've deliberately misled or lied to you, then don't support their business practice and find a game that does. I've played both the Alpha and Beta and Destiny isn't looking particularly appealing to me for a variety of reasons and this "one zone per planet" thing is just icing on the cake. The response by Urk I saw in the OP didn't help quell any concerns I have either.

I think it's very telling that Bungie has already announced TWO so-called expansion sets (at $30 a pop), but haven't seen fit to detail what the retail game consist of and there's about 40 days to go. That should tell you what their priorities are.

Pretty much

BigDug13

You can talk to people invited in your fire team.

That's weird because we tried to communicate with our third member for the Strike. Things we said seemed to have no effect on what he did. I was never able to hear anyone on my strike teams. I guess I was unlucky to be always teamed with no speakers?

Uiki

Yeah, tons of "mistakes" in that video if you watch it carefully.

But sales numbers are nothing and are not a measure of quality.

Of course it's gonna sell millions, it's an activision-fueled title.

Orayn

Press R3 when looking at players to get options that include adding them to your fire team.

Joining someone else's fireteam from Explore or Story mode requires you to reload from orbit to get into their game. It's a hassle and it'd be great if Bungie found some way to work around it.

gatti-man

Will almost definitely cancel my pre-order and wait until there's more content. This is dumb.

1) It's not a single-player driven story
2) It's "not an MMO" or a "co-op shooter"
3) It's a "shared world" shooter with average PvP

So there's a short story, non-RPG levels of content, and a mundane PvP. Sounds like a great time. I don't even know what this game is supposed to be. It's everything and nothing at the same time.
its supposed to be fun.

Two Words

You focus on the strangest things.

GhaleonEB

Will almost definitely cancel my pre-order and wait until there's more content. This is dumb.

1) It's not a single-player driven story
2) It's "not an MMO" or a "co-op shooter"
3) It's a "shared world" shooter with average PvP

So there's a short story, non-RPG levels of content, and a mundane PvP. Sounds like a great time. I don't even know what this game is supposed to be. It's everything and nothing at the same time.

Since you seem to know how much content the game has, could you fill in the rest of us?

-Snooze-

Banned
The game is very underwhelming so far. Yes I know it's a beta but still.

The enemies aren't all that varied, and aren't very clever. The weapons mostly feels the same, there's nothing like the variety of the Halo weapons.

The story seems tacked on to get you from point A to B

The supposed open world is just a few small planets, that whilst pretty, if Earth is anything to go by, will be quite bland and repetitive.

Honestly the only thing i'comm keeping my eye on now is the competitive MP, which as it stands looks to be far less than even Halo 3 was

Two Words

That's weird because we tried to communicate with our third member for the Strike. Things we said seemed to have no effect on what he did. I was never able to hear anyone on my strike teams. I guess I was unlucky to be always teamed with no speakers?
Are you talking about people you invited or people you were matched with?

Also even though I am not canceling my pre-orders I think vocalizing that you are is a good thing. Pre-orders are used to brag to investors, unforunately the gaming industry has become so shady [and consumers have become yes men] that they force consumers to pre-order to receive specific in game items that they will either never receive if they do not pre-order or that they will receive in a later point.

I doubt there will ever be any regulations in the gaming industry but I believe pre-order incentives shouldn't be allowed.

I probably wasn't going to get this game before, but these two videos may have just swung me. The game seems quite different from what I was expecting. Didn't know there was as much story involved as what's been shown so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFIbos639Nc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNg5Z6aLqVA

I'm really liking the cutscenes and some of the story events shown so far, and I had absolutely no idea that your character would have actual voiced dialogue. That was a genuine surprise for me. Also, watching more complete and uninterrupted gameplay has really further convinced me that this game is a lot like Mass Effect, but with strong Halo elements. But on top of that, they also added big hub locations for many gamers to meet up, organize and then go out adventuring together. But what makes the whole thing even cooler is that It goes yet another step further by making it so that you can be out on your own or with other players and still end up running into more players in the game world as you're playing. It seems to be providing you with some of the conveniences of an MMO, one of which is being able to meet up with other players in the world, but the interesting thing (at least from my impression) is that they seem to micro-manage it more as it works for the story they're trying to tell or the kind of adventure they want the player to have. You're clearly following a set story path, but at the same time you have freedom to just go out and do your own thing also, even I assume coming back to areas you've already visited just to fight and level up with friends. It's a different kind of beast that combines elements from multiple games in its own way while also mixing mmo style storytelling and events with campaign singleplayer style storytelling and events. It's a much more ambitious project than you really understand at a glance.

So it gives you that familiar feeling from an MMO, but apparently when and how many real players you can run into seems more carefully scripted by what Bungie wants the player to experience. If that's really what's going on, then I think it's a pretty great idea, which would make the Alpha and Beta data they're gathering that much more vital to the further improvement of the game. And I've heard not so good things about the ghost and the voice acting for it, but I didn't really have much problem with what I heard. I feel it's a fairly welcome addition to the game's overall atmosphere, and it helps enormously with people such as myself who prefer to have some kind of constant story interaction, so I don't feel like I'm in some deserted MMO all alone. And I must say that the art in the game is just great. At this point I don't seem to care so much that it's one area per planet, as long as I feel there's enough worthwhile content in each area.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's an MMO even if it's MMO fps. Anyone want to bet how many areas they're adding via expansion DLC? Borderlands 2 managed to add great stuff like sand sea area, so I'm not about to get rage mode on yet.

That gets complicated if you don't buy DLC.

BigDug13

Joining someone else's fireteam from Explore or Story mode requires you to reload from orbit to get into their game. It's a hassle and it'd be great if Bungie found some way to work around it.

It's because what spawns for your instance is based on the mission selected. The over world is shared and other players are getting interior spawns based on the mission they are on as well. You basically have to load the fireteam's instance script before you're truly a part of them as the over world interactions are just as each player are getting from point A to B to spawn their special interior instances. Even the supposed "MMO" part of the 12-16 person instance is mostly players with their own destinations. Only the random events really bring random players together.

It's because what spawns for your instance is based on the mission selected. The over world is shared and other players are getting interior spawns based on the mission they are on as well. You basically have to load the fireteam's instance script before you're truly a part of them as the over world interactions are just as each player are getting from point A to B to spawn their special interior instances. Even the supposed "MMO" part of the 12-16 person instance is mostly players with their own destinations. Only the random events really bring random players together.
You get a gold star

jett

D-Member
Since you seem to know how much content the game has, could you fill in the rest of us?

That's what is so ridiculous about some comments in here, as if people could extrapolate how much content the game has based on the number of planets or locations. It's insane.

Can you stop talking beyond what I said? Don't explicitly lie. Don't make statements intended to mislead. That's all I'm saying.

How do you know that what he said was explicitly a lie or intended to mislead and not a situation where they intended for that to be a possibility but later had to reign that in for whatever reason? It's murky territory at best to take the stance that it's an intentional lie or misrepresentation.

I never said disappointment-free. Obviously when you announce a feature and it gets cut people will be disappointed or upset, but better to find out when it happens than when it ships.

I can agree with this in general. My point in that post was to point out how out of hand the negative reactions get. There's nothing wrong with expressing disappointment. However taking it to the lengths that some take it to is excessive.

Why should we care how some other nebulous group of people react to better circumstances? You're basically saying "It doesn't matter if they communicated better because some other group of people would still be upset". Okay, good for them. What does that matter to me and my desire to be communicated to properly?

You shouldn't care about how others may receive it, however you should consider these things before you react as if a Developer has personally slapped you in the face because the things you wanted were cut or changed in favor of something someone else wanted.

And what exactly, is "communicated to properly," to you? Because much of this stuff was already discussed and known through the myriad of interviews, previews, mail sacks, etc... Bungie has done a ton of press giving out a ton of information about the game even before Alpha and quite a lot of people chose not to consume it. I mean the fact that you're focused on the E3 presentation from over a year ago and make no mention of the various other trailers and interviews that have been conducted since then gives me the impression that you didn't consume them and that has led, in part, to the misunderstanding.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That gets complicated if you don't buy DLC.

Yeah. Party with friends where one member doesn't have a paid expansion in either PvE and PvP becomes a headache, and why a plethora of day one content is important for a title focused on what Destiny is.

benny_a

How do you know that what he said was explicitly a lie or intended to mislead and not a situation where they intended for that to be a possibility but later had to reign that in for whatever reason? It's murky territory at best to take the stance that it's an intentional lie or misrepresentation.
As it stands right now this marketing material right now is being viewed by potential customers.

Do you hold the position that this is actually playable space?

It's everything and nothing at the same time.
I feel like the discussion about this game on GAF is making people crazy, because this statement sounds insane. The game is what you played during the beta. There will be more content in the final game. Just wait for reviews and/or watch the game on Twitch or some other streaming service before, during, and/or after launch. If you don't think the final product is worth the asking price, don't buy it. If you think the PvP isn't compelling (and aren't interested in the other PvP gametypes), go play a different game that you do think is compelling.

I've anticipated this game as much as it can be anticipated, for years, and I'm not disappointed in the least. Bungie is a proven developer and I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride at this point. Some people are getting caught up in the excitement of discovering this game and that's fine, let them enjoy it. It doesn't mean they're viral marketers. It doesn't mean their excitement is an indictment of you if you don't fancy the game. This isn't the super game that brings all types of gamers together, so if you don't like it, that's fine. It is a Bungie action game with an unprecedented amount of other metagame elements woven in.

I wish we could just have a single thread already.

Do you hold the position that this is actually playable space?

So I'm playing my YouTube playlist on all the Bungie/Activision videos on Destiny before and since the game's announcement, and I happen to hear the statement from Lars Bakken that people are getting caught up on:

"This is not a skybox. This is real, playable geometry. Designers back at Bungie, at some point, are going to build amazing experiences in here. It's gonna be awesome."

Can we please stop the unfounded accusations of lying?

Edit: Oh wait, I'm watching the developer commentary and Ryan Ellis just said that they're actually shipping Bird Simulator™, which was a lie.

Two Words

I can agree with this in general. My point in that post was to point out how out of hand the negative reactions get. There's nothing wrong with expressing disappointment. However taking it to the lengths that some take it too is excessive.

You shouldn't care about how others may receive it, however you should consider these things before you react as if a Developer has personally slapped you in the face because the things you wanted were cut or changed in favor of something someone else wanted.

And what exactly, is "communicated to properly," to you? Because much of this stuff was already discussed and known through the myriad of interviews, previews, mail sacks, etc... Bungie has done a ton of press giving out a ton of information about the game even before Alpha and quite a lot of people chose not to consume it. I mean the fact that you're focused on the E3 presentation from over a year ago and make no mention of the various other trailers and interviews that have been conducted since then gives me the impression that you didn't consume them and that has led, in part, to the misunderstanding.
If they failed to reach their goals, publicly state it's no longer a part of the game. I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt if they can't be bothered to retract a removed part of the game in a statement.

Orayn

Yeah I'm aware of all this and we're on the same page when it comes to the techincal reasons. I just wish it was possible to load another fireteam's world in the background somehow. Maybe the game could temporarily block you from entering the corridors that serve as transitions between "lobby" areas and the parts that are different for Story mode? I dunno.

Frog-fu

Banned

And this is why I don't intend to buy Destiny. I don't want to support developers and publishers that go about their business like this.

They seriously should have changed the gravity. They have the capability and have done it before. I don't know why they decided not to this time.

That felt a little weird to me, too. Accurately lowering gravity would break the game but I would have appreciated just an ever so slight decrease. Just enough to give you the impression of lower gravity without letting you double jump into space.

E92 M3

The problem I see with this game is it's designed to be grinded with friends and that's something I don't have time for. Then Destiny 2 will come out, and while some stuff might transfer mostly everything else will go to naught. Games like Diablo have a very long shelf-life so it's ok to invest a lot of time into, but Destiny will be getting a sequel within 2 years.

I want to love this game, but it's just seems like everything is designed for co-op. Bungie said single player would be important, but I felt like it's just there to appease lone wolves such as myself.

Top Bottom