• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

noomi

Alright... so scouring reddit/google for answers and I'm not sure anymore. Maybe someone here can confirm...

Does the kneepads perk on shotguns actually increase sprint speed or not? Some say it does, some say it does not lol.

They say as long as you have it equipped you will get the increase in speed, doesn't even have to be in hand :eek:

Truth/Bullshit?

ocean

Banned
I never liked PvP and so this is truly my worst nightmare. The spammy one shot kills etc is just an awful way for PvP in any game to work.

PoE is so lame and repetitive, not fun at all.

New gear is underwhelming.

Keys are stupid.

Most new weapon exotics are locked behind 2 walls of RNG (gotta get the bounty first!)

Etc etc etc.

Quality of life for the game has been amazing, but the content added is craaaaap
To be honest I'm not sure what we'll be doing in the game a month from now.

I mean I'll keep running PoE for weapon and armor cores until I get the full armor sets but that should only be another two weeks unless they get helmet stingy. Very little incentive to run it after that since, unlike Raids, PoE doesn't have an Exotic roll. And even then, I already have all the pre HoW Exotic weapons so stat rolls are meaningless to me, I don't need them.

I used to run Nightfall for XP boost and a chance at Exotics. None of the new weapons can drop since they're bounty based, and odds of getting the two HoW Exotic armor pieces I'm missing is so low that I won't bother with NF either. With how easy it now is to upgrade stuff and having all our factions leveled, the XP boost isn't a big incentive.

I'll always be down for VoG or even CE (far less bullshitty now that we don't have level penalty) but it's getting progressively harder to grind groups for that.

I don't think anyone runs Strike Playlists anymore unless you're grinding for Marks, and after 9 months doing the same static Strikes it feels like a chore.

I don't even do that many bounties cause I have so little stuff to level up.

If you like PvP, that's always fresh regardless of events. Now that there's a weekly tournament and almost monthly IB, Crucible-focused players should be content for months.

I only play Crucible when there's a GAF train. Not necessarily for carries, I just don't like it without the banter and joking around of a group. Outside that...I really see myself playing far less until Comet just because there isn't that much left to do.

Re: keys, they're total and absolute bullshit. I'd recommend everyone to just hoard 4 keys: PoE 35 emblem/shader/ship and each of the three Exotic bounties. Then never the fuck again. Grinding Patrol for hours so we can pick up a Queen's Auto Rifle or a No Land Beyond? Yeah no thanks.

I got a roll like that with Her Mercy. Bonus Exploding Rounds too!

UPUorH4.png

This is what making all the new weapons useless looks like.

Are any new weapon worth it compared to their equivalent from past weapons?

Eh I like that the old weapons are still viable. The new ones aren't all crap, but the old stuff is still very worth going to Raid to get. Still my favourite weapons to use.

Ken

I really have a hard time considering Trials of Osiris as part of the HoW package when it really doesn't have unique content besides the Exile armor. That just leaves PoE and the story and yeah, HoW is a little lacking.

Eh I like that the old weapons are still viable. The new ones aren't all crap, but the old stuff is still very worth going to Raid to get. Still my favourite weapons to use.

Eh, the Fallen weapons are kind of bad, what with giving up one perk for Shank or Dreg burn.

Queen weapons are ok but nothing special or unique either.

Trials weapons fill some elemental primary niches but then you have to take on their unreforgeable perks.

patchday

Moreso ToO in general. Like I said Zoba and Unstable are doing amazing things

Having a wife and 4 kids doesn't give me availability all the time. If things don't work out it sucks.

Having a family surely doesn't help with this type of game

Not sure where I'd place this DLC. The story is by far the best though. I went through it with all 3 characters. And I guess at some point the base story was altered as well (the final mission is fun)

I kind of enjoy PoE for an occasional run. It's alright for now. ToO can get pretty intense. I think Bungie was a bit too aggressive with the design of ToO. Probably should just let players accumulate points for wins and just give them awards.

Luckily gaf helped me get 8 wins last week. Will probably roll out again with gaf later today to ToO.

The issue with ToO is that some players will put whole weekends into it and get absolutely nothing whilst the same elite players will put a few hours in and get to the Jupiter every week. You're essentially locked out (get nothing for your time investment) of 50% of a £20 expansion.

Namikaze1

The content isn't good.

PoE is repetitive and boring. ToO is unranked and a slaughter for moderate players.

Story missions were better but nothing close to anything from the Halo series and continues to disappoint.

Aaaaand that's it!
Agree. PoE is not a great raid replacement. I rather we had gotten a raid over this.

Not much of a fan of ToO. Some of us have to either find a great team to play with or wait hours for our turn in a carry run which is not even a guaranteed spot.

Story missions were better than TDB at least.

Getting to Mercury at 6am meant I didn't sleep at all, I guess. Playing Combined Arms and actually really enjoying it. It's been a while since I was on First Light.

I got my desired roll for Low Grade Humility! Ambush, Hidden Hand, Quickdraw, Unflinching. Hell yes. Could also have higher mag at the cost of stability, not sure if it's worth it. I suppose Shortgaze would be better for the aim assist but I think I do better with Ambush. If I get another to drop maybe I'll try rerolling that one, but I think this roll is pretty much as good as it gets.

Right there with you. It sucks

Congrats Sullichin. Who did you end up going with?

Agree. PoE is not a great raid replacement. I rather we had gotten a raid over this.

Not much of a fan of ToO. Some of us have to either find a great team to play with or wait hours for our turn in a carry run which is not even a guaranteed spot.

Story missions were better than TDB at least.
I'm sure all of us would have rather had a raid, but not if it was gonna turn out like Crota's End. I'm liking PoE a hell of a lot more than Crota's End...but that's not really saying much...

Namikaze1

I'll be on tonight, so I'll try my best.
thanks fig. Gonna do the crucible daily for the coins. Need them after wasting two weeks worth of coins yesterday on my warlock alone. Hunter still has all three buffs on her though at this point I'm just gonna focus on getting to five over Mercury.

The content isn't good.

PoE is repetitive and boring. ToO is unranked and a slaughter for moderate players.

Story missions were better but nothing close to anything from the Halo series and continues to disappoint.

Aaaaand that's it!

Also agreed. PoE is annoying, pretty much "hide from adds and dps the boss" same differences as a Strike boss encounter. Story missions were "better" however still running through a map backwards? Mehh Only thing I would like from ToO is the Anubis Warlock helmet and perhaps a Solar HC but I dont care that much to play constantly. Meh just dont play as much, I dont mind playing 1-3x a week with DGAF, RL friends and some gaming buddies I made.

patchday

While leveling up my brand new warlock couldn't help but wish I could turn back the hands of time. Back during beta, seemed like pvp was much more fun. Wasn't dominated by a handfull of exotics

ultimately, the reason I keep getting bored is because there's no creativity really invested into Crucible. Just the same old modes full of AoE spam, exotic handgun spam, etc.

Might be intesting if we ever got a mode where there is no radar, no super, no grenades, and no exotics. Probably what ToO should have offered. A true hardcore mode that takes away all the crutches from players.

Destiny pvp is a fun diversion but for serious pvp I will still turn to my fighting games and other FPS. But still have hope Bungie will hire a much better pvp director in the future.

Namikaze1

I'm sure all of us would have rather had a raid, but not if it was gonna turn out like Crota's End. I'm liking PoE a hell of a lot more than Crota's End...but that's not really saying much...
I'm liking Crota's End over this a lot. At least with it, if something happens,you can resume where you left off instead of starting shit all over again.

Ken

By week 4, once most players have gotten all 4 PoE and ToO armor sets and most weapons, things will again slow down.

Destiny is a loot game, not a content game.

Idk, Trials definitely rekindled some of the fire that kept me playing Halo MP so I could see myself playing that for a bit longer.

PvP is pretty enjoyable and rewarding though. Too bad a lot of people will miss it because the carry train is more comfy.

I think Byron has some valid points.
Especially the part with the None preemade OoT games.
Would make it easier IMO for avarage PvPers.

You guys would be free wins though.

ocean

Banned
I really have a hard time considering Trials of Osiris as part of the HoW package when it really doesn't have unique content besides the Exile armor. That just leaves PoE and the story and yeah, HoW is a little lacking.
Well it's a totally new game mode with Raid-tier armor and weapon rewards behind it. HoW in my opinion has far exceeded the super low bar set by TDB in all regards: better Story, better PvP maps, overhauled quality of life, better Exotics, better new Strike. The stuff they added matches or surpasses launch content, but I feel a Raid or additional Strike or two would have been the perfect expansion.

I also don't think PoE is bad. It's a fresh Raid-tier activity which dropped the ball more in terms of loot design than anything else. A token system for guaranteed drops is fantastic. The stuff dropping at attack/defense cap is also fantastic. It's just mind-boggling that the perks on the weapons are so bad.

I would have liked to see three small changes which I feel would totally have changed how we rate PoE:
1. Variks will only sell Special/Heavy weapons (akin to Normal Crota only dropping that kind). No more "50 Crota kills, still no Black Hammer", which was my true story.
2. Primaries not sold by Variks, only drop from Skolas. He has a 50% chance of dropping a randomized elemental primary, 50% chance of dropping an extra Etheric + randomized element heavy/special (to differentiate from the Variks sold variety). Comparable to Heroic Crota giving primaries generously but not 100% of the time.
3. PoE perk is additional. Similar to how Oracle or Hive Disruptor don't occupy another perk's slot but are just a bonus bubble.

Everything would be different. The weapons themselves aren't bad! take Six Dreg Pride (PoE Hand Cannon). If the final perk (bonus damage to all Fallen) was additional to, say Firefly or Outlaw, instead of occupying the spot of a final perk, this would easily be better than Word of Crota. Getting a Solar or Void would've been amazing. As it is...meh.

Funny how small changes can make a big difference. I think those 3 mistakes in the loot system will ultimately spell the fate of PoE.

sajj316

Not having much luck in Trials. Maybe will hit up GAF next time to add a casual like me. One thing that bothers me about trials is that it's more like Trials of Warlocks. Kept going up against 2-3 man Sunsinger Warlok teams where my only win rounds are 1 and 2 :(

phen0m24

#SaltyByron is best Byron. :) Saying what PvE players have been secretly thinking since 2013... :)

Fist bump to my North of the Border buddy

You had fun key farming because we were together bro! :)

patchday

I've played Horde mode for many years in other types of games (like Mass effect 3 multiplayer). So I think I'd lean more towards the raids

Just wish the endgame pve was better thought out in this game. Just too much cheese. People need to believe in themselves more lol. Stop worrying bout the silly endgame loot. They will all just look the same anyways. Now Etheric Light I can get behind :)

(My post not aimed at this guy or anyone in particular. Just tired of seeing PoE groups cheese this easy L32 content already)

Idk, Trials definitely rekindled some of the fire that kept me playing Halo MP so I could see myself playing that for a bit longer.

PvP is pretty enjoyable and rewarding though. Too bad a lot of people will miss it because the carry train is more comfy.

See the thing is, when gamers pay $20 for dlc content, they assume they will be able to play and experience all of it and get their money's worth. The changes to Destiny brought in by HoW are mostly great but the way content is locked behind skill and gear will surely annoy players.

20 bucks and you still need to either git gud or get lucky. No wonder people are pissed off.

Re-roll it for great pvp perks. Unflinching, hidden hand, hand laid stock, shortgaze, etc.

Only weapon worth 150 vanguard marks. Rest are no good.

I've had all 3 of my characters maxed with vanguard and crucible marks since HoW launched and I don't see anything worth it.

The couple I liked I got via RNG.

sajj316

See the thing is, when gamers pay $20 for dlc content, they assume they will be able to play and experience all of it and get their money's worth. The changes to Destiny brought in by HoW are mostly great but the way content is locked behind skill and gear will surely annoy players.

20 bucks and you still need to either git gud or get lucky. No wonder people are pissed off.

My skill is surely more PvE, not PvP. The loot vs time invested on PoE is ridiculous. That combined with key farming .. sigh

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm really enjoying this expansion. It's brought me back to the game in a big way, and I'd put my first 34 run of the Prison of Elders fairly near to my first Vault of Glass as just a really great gaming experience.

I also have household responsibilities and a demanding career, but so far fate has been kind and I've been able to make time to have some really great gaming.

My huge complaint is an old one : matchmaking. I don't see why there can't be matchmaking for the later Prison of Elders levels. And, for as much as I'm immensely grateful to this community, it is frustrating not being able just to log on and start playing what I'd like. I know it only takes up to 20 minutes to organise a party but it's still flow-breaking and adds a time pressure to things - if I happen to have a couple of hours free I don't want to have to spend half an hour stressing about finding people.

To any Xbox One players looking for some people to do end game content with on a consistent basis...Shoot me a PM. Building my clan to get as many competent Xbone players as we can get to make running stuff easier for everyone. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom