• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Was going to try to get this at the top of the page, but thread is moving so slow that'll be Tuesday before it happens, so here goes.
Light: A Complete Paradigm Shift For Year 2

The Biggest Problem:

Light progression does not fundamentally change how you play the game.​

Being a 310 vs 311 doesn’t feel any different. Using a 308 Smite vs a 314 Smite is no different. But the balance of the game, the loot systems, the events, the character screen, etc. are all focused on getting that number up.

Year one we were chasing interesting weapons and cool looking armor. Rewards that changed how we played. Year Two is about chasing the number on your name plate.

This is why Year Two feels bad even if it’s superficially better.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Gonna post it on reddit, but need help with a title. Any ideas:
  • Light: A Complete Paradigm Shift For Year 2
  • Destiny’s Year 2 Endgame: Light & How it's Shaping Up
  • Analysis of Light and the Year 2 Endgame

Struggling here. I don't want to go salty in the title, but I do want to get noticed.

Akai XIII

Anyone want to do HM KF? No? Ok...

I've been trying to raid for the last 3 days accross two platforms.

One of two things happen: Get in the game and someone is a) 5 b) stoned or c) an idiot. On a few rare occasions they're all of the above.

Or you post your info and never hear from them. These guys are burks.

Jafku

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. Gonna post it on reddit, but need help with a title. Any ideas:

Destiny’s Year 2 Endgame: Light & How it's Shaping Up
Analysis of Light and the Year 2 Endgame

Struggling here. I don't want to go salty in the title, but I do want to get noticed.
I like the second title personally. Good luck with that subreddit

phen0m24

Analysis of Light and the Year 2 Endgame

Year 2 and You: Let's Talk About Light, Baby

A whole lot of great stuff. Seriously, I love your write ups.

I'm just piggy backing by saying that it's so odd that Bungie loves to throw out number for light, level, atk, and defense. Even Int, Disc, and Str got appropriate stat numbers for TTK.

Yet things like Armor, Recovery, and Agility are totally ambiguous. Every perk in this game changes the weapon, without an actual number to show for it. Instead, we have perks that say things like "slightly" "mildly" and "greatly"

Like Ghaleon said, You can't tell which sniper to use because you can't see the actual trade off for a better element vs a higher ATK value.

E92 M3

That is good.

I'm just piggy backing by saying that it's so odd that Bungie loves to throw out number for light, level, atk, and defense. Even Int, Disc, and Str got appropriate stat numbers for TTK.

Yet things like Armor, Recovery, and Agility are totally ambiguous. Every perk in this game changes the weapon, without an actual number to show for it. Instead, we have perks that say things like "slightly" "mildly" and "greatly"

Like Ghaleon said, You can't tell which sniper to use because you can't see the actual trade off for a better element vs a higher ATK value.

The only time I switch weapons is when I'm playing PVP or messing around in Patrol. It's just not fun losing light to try new stuff out. I expect this to get addressed for Year 3.

Dammit! I already hit submit.

I like the second title personally. Good luck with that subreddit

Yeah, it can be very fickle. And I don't know if they have the stomach for a nearly 1300 word post on a game system, but here it is:

Upvote/downvote/comment away.

I also tweeted by DGAF link to Luke, but not sure how much he checks his @replies.

Yeah, it can be very fickle. And I don't know if they have the stomach for a nearly 1300 word post on a game system, but here it is:

Upvote/downvote/comment away.

I also tweeted by DGAF link to Luke, but not sure how much he checks his @replies.

Looks like it got removed already. Just like my video of me trying to claim my rank 5 iron banner rewards right when it went away.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Let's talk about light, baby
Let's talk about you and the fireteam
Let's talk about all the good things (not many)
And the bad things that may be (too many)
Let's talk about light
Let's talk about light
Let's talk about light
Let's talk about light

Let's talk about light for now to the people at home or in the crowd
It keeps coming up anyhow
Don't decoy, avoid, or make void the topic
Cuz that ain't gonna stop it
Now we talk about light on the forums, blogs and twitch video shows
Many will know anything goes
Let's tell it how it is, and how it could be
How it was, and of course, how it should be
Those who think it's dirty have a choice
Pick up the controller, press pause, or turn the console off
Will that stop us, Guardians? I doubt it
All right then, come on, go be a Legend

I tried
╮(╯▽╰)╭

Looks like it got removed already. Just like my video of me trying to claim my rank 5 iron banner rewards right when it went away.

In November I missed out on an IB rank up package because of the earlier reset time and when it came back I was able to claim it. You might not be SOL on those rank 5 rewards. Just gotta hurry up and wait.

That is good.

The only time I switch weapons is when I'm playing PVP or messing around in Patrol. It's just not fun losing light to try new stuff out. I expect this to get addressed for Year 3.

Literally* every item that drops at this point is a disappointment. Loot drops come in 1 of 2 scenarios:

A) Hey I got a purple/exotic with terrible light and perk. Free marks/exotic shard I guess.

or

B) Hey I go ta purple/exotic with decent perks on it. Now to start the chore of infusing and leveling this gear (a pain if armor) so that I can actually use this in a couple of weeks.

I refuse to hold on to gear just to maybe use it to infuse with later. So if I get a new pair of gloves that actually have good perks on it, it's probably going to take me 2 to 3 weeks work of leveling and drops to infuse. This is also why I think exotics feel like trash nowadays.

*I actually mean this 100%. I'm not being dramatic. Loot no longer matters to me at this point in the game. I haven't been excited for a drop since the SRL shaders, and who knows what before that.

Selected flair & back again. In general I agree that moderation there needs more transparency.

I wrote all that up, because at the end of the day, I don't want to do another year of this same Light system. It's not rewarding or enjoyable. I don't expect any changes til Yaer 3.

In November I missed out on an IB rank up package because of the earlier reset time and when it came back I was able to claim it. You might not be SOL on those rank 5 rewards. Just gotta hurry up and wait.

Yea someone said they got their too the next time. But i also wanted to buy the gear and guns! Haha Oh well.

Selected flair & back again. In general I agree that moderation there needs more transparency.

What's flair? Office space is the only thing that comes to mind

Yea someone said they got their too the next time. But i also wanted to buy the gear and guns! Haha Oh well.

What's flair? Office space is the only thing that comes to mind

It's their tagging system to let people filter things out:

Xyzabky.png

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why doesn't Bungie just fucking squash #Forever319 in a simple way

Let Ghosts, Class Items, Artifacts infuse into each other
They are just sub items that do no harm to the overall experience

This way those 3 items can be used to push players to use different items and have them on them

Getting one 320 ghost is an eternity it looks like, then you have to swap that with other characters just to push those LL up
Most of the time the ghost does Jack shit to help in the overall endgame experience

Let 320 sub items rain and let people mix and match
Why not have 5 different 320 ghosts that scan for each destination material
1 for crucible
1 for ToO

That will make players at least have interchangeable items

A person can be 320 so long ago if they allowed this
When most hit 30 after #Forever29; they didn't quit or leave, they went back in to get better rolls on gear or better perks

That's what LL has created, rather making it a non-issue it's a burden
Right now everyone should be screaming about having too many 320 items and are looking for a certain roll or perk set up

Also holy shit at so e of the perks that make no fucking sense
Agility for 5 secs after 2 elemental kills in a certain way
Are you fucking kidding me
Most of the perks make no fucking sense

Also armor upgrading is purely a cockblock so people don't fully bubble it out and earn max legendary marks
Seriously let the game go wild, retention works better than hindrance

Raven117

Gold Member
I've had a solid month off of Destiny and ran the daily yesterday to pick up the strange coins and mote freebies.

I was using my 310 Hung Jury...running through it...switched out to my 320 Doom, then my 314 Smite...and everything felt so underwhelming. Even that Hung Jury. I know theres a cap on damage, but goodness....A month off (after the last weapons patch) and getting some dstiance really drives home the Bungie view of PvE right now...."NO FUN ALLOWED."

GutZ31

Literally* every item that drops at this point is a disappointment. Loot drops come in 1 of 2 scenarios:

A) Hey I got a purple/exotic with terrible light and perk. Free marks/exotic shard I guess.

or

B) Hey I go ta purple/exotic with decent perks on it. Now to start the chore of infusing and leveling this gear (a pain if armor) so that I can actually use this in a couple of weeks.

I refuse to hold on to gear just to maybe use it to infuse with later. So if I get a new pair of gloves that actually have good perks on it, it's probably going to take me 2 to 3 weeks work of leveling and drops to infuse. This is also why I think exotics feel like trash nowadays.

*I actually mean this 100%. I'm not being dramatic. Loot no longer matters to me at this point in the game. I haven't been excited for a drop since the SRL shaders, and who knows what before that.
I fully agree.

I found more excitement thinking about the new shaders than any of the other content, including the emotes, guns, sparrows, etc.
After the initial hype of 320 gear possibly dropping from racing, the races them selves became unbearably boring.
2 maps, no way to flip the tables on the other players like Mario cart, or wipeout made for a boring circuit race.

They could have lessened this feeling if they allowed iron banner to resume on time, as well as let SRL continue.
The biggest problem was a variety of tracks, and ways of doing the tracks.
Missions could have been implemented in that took advantage of the race track map as story missions killing enemy's on foot while races were going on, or completely take over the tracks with pikes, tank pikes, and interceptors.

They really missed a lot of little things that make for a great experience.

E92 M3

I've had a solid month off of Destiny and ran the daily yesterday to pick up the strange coins and mote freebies.

I was using my 310 Hung Jury...running through it...switched out to my 320 Doom, then my 314 Smite...and everything felt so underwhelming. Even that Hung Jury. I know theres a cap on damage, but goodness....A month off (after the last weapons patch) and getting some dstiance really drives home the Bungie view of PvE right now...."NO FUN ALLOWED."

Don't you miss the crazy fun that was shotguns during HoW? Found Verdict was a thing of beauty.

or

I'm pretty much the same way, except holding on to infusion fuel for whatever reason. Bungie has taught me that hoarding is the best way to play.

Lnkn52

Why does our Ghosts, cloaks/bonds/butt towel, and artifacts have light on them? Just get rid of that, that should stay cosmetic.

I fully agree.

I found more excitement thinking about the new shaders than any of the other content, including the emotes, guns, sparrows, etc.
After the initial hype of 320 gear possibly dropping from racing, the races them selves became unbearably boring.
2 maps, no way to flip the tables on the other players like Mario cart, or wipeout made for a boring circuit race.

They could have lessened this feeling if they allowed iron banner to resume on time, as well as let SRL continue.
The biggest problem was a variety of tracks, and ways of doing the tracks.
Missions could have been implemented in that took advantage of the race track map as story missions killing enemy's on foot while races were going on, or completely take over the tracks with pikes, tank pikes, and interceptors.

They really missed a lot of little things that make for a great experience.

SRL was fine, it just didn't need to last 3 weeks. It's just like old Grifball. Grifball was amazing as a special guest. When it got promoted to full time, it lost a lot of attention.

SRL in single week increments is the right thing to do.

Why does our Ghosts, cloaks/bonds/butt towel, and artifacts have light on them? Just get rid of that, that should stay cosmetic.

Would probably make the problem worse, because then the 3 weapons and 4 armors would weigh more towards the total Light Level.

Why doesn't Bungie just fucking squash #Forever319 in a simple way

Let Ghosts, Class Items, Artifacts infuse into each other
They are just sub items that do no harm to the overall experience

This way those 3 items can be used to push players to use different items and have them on them

Getting one 320 ghost is an eternity it looks like, then you have to swap that with other characters just to push those LL up
Most of the time the ghost does Jack shit to help in the overall endgame experience

Let 320 sub items rain and let people mix and match
Why not have 5 different 320 ghosts that scan for each destination material
1 for crucible
1 for ToO

That will make players at least have interchangeable items

A person can be 320 so long ago if they allowed this
When most hit 30 after #Forever29; they didn't quit or leave, they went back in to get better rolls on gear or better perks

That's what LL has created, rather making it a non-issue it's a burden
Right now everyone should be screaming about having too many 320 items and are looking for a certain roll or perk set up

Also holy shit at so e of the perks that make no fucking sense
Agility for 5 secs after 2 elemental kills in a certain way
Are you fucking kidding me
Most of the perks make no fucking sense

Also armor upgrading is purely a cockblock so people don't fully bubble it out and earn max legendary marks
Seriously let the game go wild, retention works better than hindrance

Cross posting from Reddit:

I've said this before in other places, but I'll say it again here, because I can't imagine a better solution:

Create a consumable item - "Infusion matter"

Infusion matter drops from Raid end bosses, and is gifted from High Rank Iron Banner and Trials packages. As well as other seasonal events.

Infusion matter raises the ATK/DEF of an item by 3-4 ATK/DEF (max of 320).

Suddenly all items become relevant, because everything can be raised without hording sacrificial items. Suddenly end game activities always feel rewarding because you are always making some kind of progress. Even if you don't get the drop you want for 3 weeks straight, you've raised the light level of your current item by 9-12 ATK/DEF.

Frenden

Banned
I was excited for Iron Banner, but this Iron Banner felt like the first TTK Iron Banner--super stingy on the loot drops. Totally killed it for me.

The clash banner was actually a bit giving. It made me play more. Funny how that works.

Sweet. Thanks. But I don't think we'll get a full fireteam going. :/

I'll get back in about 40 minutes hopefully, and I'm up for a HM Oryx CM kill. I'd only have two hours before having to go to bed, but I'm happy to help you guys get to Oryx at least if I don't have enough time.

todd360

I was excited for Iron Banner, but this Iron Banner felt like the first TTK Iron Banner--super stingy on the loot drops. Totally killed it for me.

The clash banner was actually a bit giving. It made me play more. Funny how that works.

I think it was more of the game refusing to give us the drops we wanted more than it not dropping stuff. I had plenty of guns and helmets.

Edit: anyone interested in playing some trials? I'm bored.

v1perz53

Hmm, having a bit of an odd issue, wondered if anyone experienced this before. Got a pair of Peregrine Greaves at 310 from an engram, but when I go to the kiosk it still says Y2 boots are not discovered and I can't re-buy them. I had wanted to use the 310 for infusion and re-buy them at 280 but I don't want to lose the item completely.

I already tried putting them in the vault and taking them out, swapping characters and relogging, anyone experience this before?

Frenden

Banned
I think it was more of the game refusing to give us the drops we wanted more than it not dropping stuff. I had plenty of guns and helmets.

Edit: anyone interested in playing some trials? I'm bored.

Maybe--it felt more to me like a marked decrease in all drops. I got a SHITLOAD of stuff during Clash banner. Like, all character slots full. Nine chests, ten ghosts, etc.

stay gold

This game is doing my head in.

Rumble attempt 1: only 4 people in the lobby, 3 of us yellow bar ,1 red. Insta quit.

Rumble attempt 2: Join in progress, guy has 1500 points already. No thanks.

Rumble attempt 3: Again, 4 man lobby. Again all shit connections.

The Sleeper might not be so bad if its ricochet perks were actually useful.

Pretty much. If the ricochet had light tracking, then it'd be more useful.

9 out of 10 scenarios, Black Spindle out DPS'es the Sleeper.

Yep. That's a large problem--the Spindle is easier to get than the SS, but it's much better.

Yeah, that's the main issue especially in the raid. Spindle is clearly best in slot exotic for Warpriest and Golgi, ToM is clearly best for Daughters and Oryx. Sleeper is fun as a sub-optimal change of pace since the raid is so firmly farm status.

Nowadays teams can easily get away with only the Titans running ToM, it's pretty optional for everyone else. Staggering Doxology is a joke these days especially with Weapons of Light in the middle.

Sleeper will never compare to GHorn not because of relative damage but because you have to aim and charge Sleeper. That charge time is a killer; the mobility afforded by Horn's tracking + Wolfpack tracking + hidden proximity detonation was a huge part of its appeal.

Yep--I always wanted a GHorn because it was useful everywhere. After using the SS, I'm just like "eh, whatever". I have no desire to get better with using this gun.

Pfffffttttt!

Ahh ha ha ah ah aha ha

In a 9 months period, Omnigul was the nightfall for 10 weeks.

09DEC14
30DEC14
27JAN15
17FEB15
17MAR15
28APR15
12MAY15
16JUN15
21JUL15
25AUG15

I realize none of those are after Taken King's release, but most of us that lived through Year 1 had our fill of Omnigul.

Came to hate this strike because once a month it'd be her.
But Blinding her with the Bubblebro is still fun.

I'd join too.

Yea, I'd be up for this.

E92 M3

The main purpose of the SS is to output concentrated bursts of DPS over a short period of time - and it's very good at that. Can't really compare it to the Spindle.

Hmm, having a bit of an odd issue, wondered if anyone experienced this before. Got a pair of Peregrine Greaves at 310 from an engram, but when I go to the kiosk it still says Y2 boots are not discovered and I can't re-buy them. I had wanted to use the 310 for infusion and re-buy them at 280 but I don't want to lose the item completely.

I already tried putting them in the vault and taking them out, swapping characters and relogging, anyone experience this before?

Known issue. Don't shard/infuse your Y2 Greaves. They plan doesn't show in the Kiosk. Just like one of the Warlock helms earlier the year.

ocean

Banned
I don't care about loot. I just like logging on to shoot people, getting stuff after a match doesn't do anything for me - everything that can drop sucks anyways.

Things I am bothered by?

Map weighing. I don't remember last time I played Delphi or Anomaly, everything is Vertigo.

Game quitters having NO penalty - you can quit to orbit and immediately start matchmaking again. That's unacceptable. If your kid is crying and you quit out or idle out, that's perfectly understandable - but a 10 minute matchmaking cooldown should be imposed to prevent rage quitters and assholes from ruining the game for the rest of us.

Bugs the lauded "Live Team" won't acknowledge or fix - teleporting Ogres, Oryx not taking damage from 16 bombs etc. Cmon. Kills the fun. TTK came out what, half a year ago? SUROS rockets still don't get affected by + Rocket Ammo perk. Hakke sniper scope is still off-center. Eirene impact bar shows it being higher than 1kys when it isn't. Vienna Singer is unobtainable if it didn't drop with your Spindle. Some of these are minor gripes, but wasn't the whole micro transaction thing a way to find them to fix things instead of producing content? Because so far they've done both poorly. Their newly funded and enlarged team took weeks to fix Quiver ffs and content-wise has come up with a dozen masks and 2 sparrow race tracks.

But whatever. This game is beyond repair. I expect nothing from them. I'll continue to enjoy my few matches a day in the Crucible and the occasional Challenge.

Best case scenario here is Destiny 2 being good.

Top Bottom