• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT38| The 0.04% of the 4%

Matt Frost

Yeah, I made a huge mistake reinstalling this, watching the PS4 tournament reignited my interest in giving PvP another chance but the ridiculous lag makes it pretty much unplayable.

Back to the backlog I go I guess. When there is some worthwhile PvE content I'll come crawling back.

Yeah a lot of people play with their cellphone data plan to have the lag advantage since they cant win otherwise. Sony shouldn't allow this connections from mobile. Period.

Exotics aren't worth anything.

Not true at all. Every exotic out guns legendary weapons. Mida Multi-Tool crushes every other scout rifle by far, including that one, and same for every exotic weapon out there (tested in pvp. Did a test of weapons shot to the head in a friends match).

It's a real POS. my Hung Jury does higher damage on non crit hits.

Yeah but please tell me when Hung Jury does 25.000 damage to the head. Each weapon has its advantages.

Kinda feel bad for all the people that have just started playing the game and will never know the magic of the Icebreaker and the Ghallihorn.

"Magic" can also be "lame" since those two weapons removed every sense of risk/reward and challenge and made the game dumb: "stay here, shoot missiles at that thing, it will die" what will die I was asked... "Everything"

I am very happy those were removed and they will never come back.

You'd think with this dumb card matching you wouldn't get matched against the same team twice, but noooooooo. I guess that's a side effect of having such a low playerbase. Also Memento sucks.

Number45

Quick couple of questions: is the mob you fight from the Agonarch rune soloable - and is the rune used up even if you fail? Hopefully gonna get fragment 50 with this later today.

Matt Frost

Quick couple of questions: is the mob you fight from the Agonarch rune soloable - and is the rune used up even if you fail? Hopefully gonna get fragment 50 with this later today.

Yes, you can solo it perfectly. Is just a ultra boss that you can take down easily with a Dragon Breath for example. The boss stays there until you kill it. Enjoy your shader and hopefully they release the new Vex Mythoclast weapon soon (I really miss that weapon)

Hey all, I tend to lurk on this thread but I did have some questions:

Does anyone know the best way to find a full court of oryx? I need to 2 tier 3s (the one this week and the one with the safe zones).

Any recommendations for getting the chest that needs you to have a sent?

Also, any potential Kings Fall normal raids happening tonight that might have an open slot and don't mind sherpaing? I've done VoG and CE in their respective expansions but have not done Kings Fall. Also looking for help finding those fragments in there. Warlock, mid to high 290s on EST.

Thanks!

E92 M3

I used SS, during the Oryx CMs I did. It wasn't bad.

Same here! We had 3 people alive for the final DPS and still pulled it off. I attribute that to the 320 Sleeper. It's a very satisfying weapon to use and on my Warlock I have 12 shots with it.

It needs to be leveled up, though. That's why I assume most people don't give it a proper shot.

Deku Tree

Does anyone know the best way to find a full court of oryx? I need to 2 tier 3s (the one this week and the one with the safe zones).

Walk slowly when going through the tunnel leading to the CoO area. That is when MM occurs. If you run you have a reduced chance to MM into a full instance.

Otherwise hang out in the instance and do some CoO to wait for others to show up. Or use this thread to try and find people to do CoO with you.

You have to run along an invisible path (intended way) or there is a cheese to run along the side wall. Either way google some youtube videos and just follow them. You should get it in a few tries.

Also, any potential Kings Fall normal raids happening tonight that might have an open slot and don't mind sherpaing? I've done VoG and CE in their respective expansions but have not done Kings Fall. Also looking for help finding those fragments in there. Warlock, mid to high 290s on EST.

Thanks!

Look for Hawkian's weekly newbie raids in this thread and sign up. Or send Hawkian a PM. I am not sure that he reads every post these days.

Last weekend there was an Armsday tourney on PS4 where Wish and the Boners lost to the PS4 folk. Xbox won the first game, had the lead in the second, but then PS4 team held top on Thieve's Den and Wish went on major tilt bitching about it. Xbox lost that game then lost deciding 3rd game on Burning Shrine with Wish going way negative, tilted off a cliff.

Wish got salty? You don't say.
/s

He's a great player, but way too arrogant as a person.

Kind of a late response to this, but wanted to mention that every time I've heard him say this, he was always being really sarcastic. Last time I was in his stream and someone asked him, his response was something like, "Dude, everyone knows the sweatiest of the sweatiest play on xbox. Which is why I play on ps4, because I suck. xbox his so sweaty that everyone has 1 kdrs because literally no one is better than anyone else".

Not a direct quote, but not far off either. So yeah, just saying that I don't think krafty has much of an opinion on the matter.

I saw this stream too. It was hilarious. Krafty is the real deal. He should, BY FAR, be the top streamer for Destiny. People just really love that morning radioshow DJ thing Goth does. Give me Krafty anyday.

thenexus6

The last time I played Destiny was probably 6-8 months ago, I reached level 24 Warlock.

If I get Taken King is it worth keeping this character or just starting fresh seeing as you level up so quickly now and get better gear?

Deku Tree

That feel when your playing the daily PvP and you lose and the top players on the other team are not good but they're beating you in 1v1s while teleporting like their taken red bars.

Gammacide

I think it's finally time I start collecting the materials for the Void sword - been putting it off for too long.
Yeah, I just have to kill the warden in the Darkblade strike for mine. I'll gladly do it with you so we can get ours whenever you're ready.

So has there been any new story content post TTK-launch? I know nothing major in terms of an expansion or anything like that, but I'm thinking more in terms of new insight into the story based on new quests, etc.

Walk slowly when going through the tunnel leading to the CoO area. That is when MM occurs. If you run you have a reduced chance to MM into a full instance.

Otherwise hang out in the instance and do some CoO to wait for others to show up. Or use this thread to try and find people to do CoO with you.

You have to run along an invisible path (intended way) or there is a cheese to run along the side wall. Either way google some youtube videos and just follow them. You should get it in a few tries.

Look for Hawkian's weekly newbie raids in this thread and sign up. Or send Hawkian a PM. I am not sure that he reads every post these days.

Its funny, I've used YouTube for finding fragments and some strategies for things and never thought for the chest or MM in CoO. Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Also, thanks about the newbie thread thing. Will look up.

Thanks again!

Rumble is such bullshit, twice in a row I had the highest K/D and the most kills, yet I still end up losing in the second place! Is there some hidden objective I'm unaware of?
K/D itself is meaningless as far as your own score goes. Whoever had a higher score than you I'm assuming had a close kill count, but had more crossfire (i.e. assist), headshot, heavy, grenade, or super bonuses with those kills.

Being so overpowered after this last expansion, I wonder how unimpressive the old raids would be to people who have never done them before.
VoG was fantastic when it was the end game, but now you can slaughter everything easily and the loot for it is outdated shit. I'm pretty sure that would put a damper on the whole thing. Which is kind of sad because to me it's the best thing in the whole game. I really like VoG, but there's no reason to do it now. Hmm.

I would lose my shit if they added a hard mode VoG and it included high level end game gear. It's still my favorite armor set for all classes.

E92 M3

Being so overpowered after this last expansion, I wonder how unimpressive the old raids would be to people who have never done them before.
VoG was fantastic when it was the end game, but now you can slaughter everything easily and the loot for it is outdated shit. I'm pretty sure that would put a damper on the whole thing. Which is kind of sad because to me it's the best thing in the whole game. I really like VoG, but there's no reason to do it now. Hmm.

I would lose my shit if they added a hard mode VoG and it included high level end game gear. It's still my favorite armor set for all classes.

VOG is still fun to do even with OP weapons - that's the beauty of it. Of course the thrill of killing hard Atheon will never exist again, but somethings are lost with time.

flkraven

Thanks!

PS4 of Xbox?

Obviously the best way to do the court is with a group, so if you are on XB1 I can help. If not, fly into the dreadnaught and just walk slowly into the loading zone for the court (so it has enough time to connect you to a server with players). If you don't find anyone, go to orbit and try again.

As for the scent, I would just run the path a few times without it to get used to the run. You should be able to do a few of the jumps without using your ghost. Also, when you need your ghost simply take it out for a second and put it way immediately. It will still illuminate the area but you can continue moving forward. If you are a warlock you can even take out your ghost while hovering to pinpoint your landing. Alternatively, you can just cheese it by either a) having 2 fireteam members run ahead and span the platforms for you or b) apparently there is a way you can skate across the wall on the far left.

VOG is still fun to do even with OP weapons - that's the beauty of it. Of course the thrill of killing hard Atheon will never exist again, but somethings are lost with time.

I brought this up because I did Crota's End yesterday and we were able to kill him On the first cycle. It was so anticlimactic and we made the guy look like a bitch.
Though it could be argued that thanks to ghorn he's never been a threat.

Deku Tree

I doubt it.

Bungie already said the next event is coming in February. A preview will be included in the BWU on 1/21.
https://twitter.com/bungie/status/685241676835627008

That says "a preview of our February Update." And it does not use the word "event" in it.

Giving us an emblem for logging in and playing any activity from the director is the 'event'.

TSK TSK, you didn't read the link DJ. There are new items in the DB and masks related to "Dawning" and Bungie's email from last week said "Dawning" in it. And we pick up our Rising emblem tomorrow. That is all. Could be something almost identical to Festival of the Lost in structure with a different style and different stuff.

E92 M3

The only two emblems I wear are the Year One trials flawless emblem and the deluxe destiny edition emblem

BEqxQDU.jpg

These are mostly all I use; look for specific colors and certain patterns.

I brought this up because I did Crota's End yesterday and we were able to kill him On the first cycle. It was so anticlimactic and we made the guy look like a bitch.
Though it could be argued that thanks to ghorn he's never been a threat.

Well, Crota was always a glorified strike and has been getting soloed for a while. Still fun, though. That said, when hard Crota launched, many people had panic attacks :p

That says "a preview of our February Update." And it does not use the word "event" in it.

TSK TSK, you didn't read the link DJ. There are new items in the DB and masks related to "Dawning" and Bungie's email from last week said "Dawning" in it. And we pick up our Rising emblem tomorrow. That is all. Could be something almost identical to Festival of the Lost in structure with a different style and different stuff.

WE ALL GETTING EXOTIC SPARROWS!!!1!

lol sure.

here's your event

do you even read email deku? :p

Had a pretty productive weekend.

The wife and I played with 4 people who we know in the real world, who all recently got into Destiny around Black Friday/Xmas area.

On Saturday morning around 10:30 we all got together and walked them through vault of glass. They had been asking for a raid experience sometime, and it just happened to work out that we had 6 people. The lowest person was 280, so it wasn't really a problem.

It was so fun getting to experience some of that raid stuff again. Watching people who didn't know what was going on learn and adjust is actually very rewarding. I'm talking people who had never even seen a video about the raid to know what to expect. We got Aetheon on our 2nd try, which made me feel pretty happy with the group.

One of the new guys ask if we could take a crack at king's fall, maybe get some loot they could actually use. I didn't think we'd make it through the whole raid, but I figured we could at least take out the warpriest.

The Statues were fine, and fun. The jumping puzzle was... entertaining. We had one guy (the 280) who just cannot platform for shit, so it took probably 25 minutes alone getting through the Portico.

The totems took about 5 tries before people got their rotations figured out. We kept dying with about 15% left on the door, so we knew it was possible, just needed exposure to the encounter. Then we got through.

Loot - Only my wife got a ghost, shards for everyone else.

Explaining the warpriest was difficult. I could tell that people just weren't getting that if you had the debuff, you had to kill adds, but only closer to when the debuff has run out. So eventually i just said fuck it and we started the encounter. I figured I'll let them all feel the actual encounter once or twice, and maybe things will start to make sense. It worked. We got the Warpriest down on our 4th try. Note that not everyone in this group had snipers, so to DPS you saw ARs, Rockets, and Hammers being thrown all over the place. It was very interesting, but it worked.

Loot - Only my wife got the machine gun (which she already had the Harrowed version of), shards for everyone else.

Golgoroth took some more adjustments. We tried the 1 orb strategy but it just wasn't working. It also didn't help that I was holding the gaze mostly, but I probably had the best gear of the group. So after 2 attempts, I taught the whole gaze mechanics to two other people so they could bounce it around. This way would could DPS on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th gaze shift. Using R1, L1, and L2 orbs. 2 trys of this (had to do some small adjusting for cursed thralls) and we nailed it on the 1st orb of the 3rd cycle.

Loot - 3 of the new guys got the chest piece.

The pistons were god damn amazing. I've never seen a group laugh so much. It didn't matter that they were dying repeatedly, they were having a blast. I figured the sisters might be the end for us. I knew we couldn't kill each sister right off the bat, so that meant 4 runners, which meant a stronger chance that our 280 player would have to do some platforming. Somehow on our 4th attempts, we got super lucky with who got and we took them down.

Loot - 1 class item and 1 weapon for the new guys.

We were screwing around, I wasn't planning on trying oryx because i could tell things were going to be tight if we did. While screwing around in the room someone triggered the boss fight on accident though, so we just ran with it. People adjusted pretty well, and gave me a bit of optimism. Thus started our 120 minute Orxy encounter. It took about 6 tries before we could do 1 clean cycle. It took me a while to get used to the rules of normal again, because I'd see 3 people wipe while detonating orbs and feel like the encounter was all over. Forgetting that they could be rezzed. We had several attempts with Oryx at less than 15% health (2 bombs), and random shit kept going wrong. I shit you not, we needed 1 bomb left to kill him, and my controller decided it needed to resync itself when I was 1 platform away from the relic. It was torture. When we finally got that kill though, man did it feel good. Best feeling I've had for killing Oryx in a long time.

Loot - 3 Primaries for the new guys. I got a helmet.

It was super fun doing it all again like it was brand new. I do wish the other guys got enough loot that their light levels would have adjusted. The 280 was 283 by the end, and that felt like a pretty crappy jump.

All in all, it sums up my feelings about King's fall anyway. The experience is fun, but the rewards take the wind out of it.

In other news, I ran the Nightfall twice this weekend.

When I ran it on my warlock, I got the Arc Flayer Mantle.
When I ran it on my titan, I got the Sol Flayer Mantle.

I haven't run it on my Hunter yet. I'll roll that dice tonight.

Daemul

I wish that we could have gotten to see one big massive tournament of all the best Destiny PvP players back when the sweaty community was in it's prime. Many of the best players don't play this game anymore and have moved on to COD/Halo, most citing the unbalanced nature of Destiny PvP and lack of Custom Games/Ranked Play, leaving only some of big names to carry them sweaty flag.

It was nice to see some of the guys come back for yesterdays XBO tourney(they were hella rusty though), but I miss the old days man, every game was so crazily competitive.

Go to the shipwright, Amanda Holliday. She's up the stairs, opposite from Dead Orbit vendor.

Legendary ships can only be obtained as random drops from activities like raid boss kills, iron banner, faction rewards, etc.

Are ships there for purely aesthetic purposes or do they actually serve a practical purpose?

E92 M3

I've always wondered how the tower is able to fund the cost of fuel for all of the ships guardians use. I suspect some kind of conspiracy theory.

I've always wondered how the tower is able to fund the cost of fuel for all of the ships guardians use. I suspect some kind of conspiracy theory.

If you notice around the world, there are certain things that have power that shouldn't have power.

There is a bus in the Memento map that still has it's destination marquee running. Granted it's busted and showing random letters, but it's still going. The area around the Subway on mars has something similar.

Basically, at some point, humans found perpetual energy, and a way to harness it in incredibly small every day like electronics. This is why facilities on planets that no longer have a human presence can still operate.

todd360

I think about that a lot as well. Why aren't we taking a space bus? 12 people are flying to the same place.

Lol! Guy leaves strike because it's Dust Palace. Ends up rejoining the same session. Leaves again once they realize it.

I would leave too. It sucks that I dislike all of the new strikes.

I hope Bungie designs better strikes and make them fun and not just "lol look at all the enemies you need to kill and guess what?? jajaja no checkpoint in the middle of this long fight."

E92 M3

If you notice around the world, there are certain things that have power that shouldn't have power.

There is a bus in the Memento map that still has it's destination marquee running. Granted it's busted and showing random letters, but it's still going. The area around the Subway on mars has something similar.

Basically, at some point, humans found perpetual energy, and a way to harness it in incredibly small every day like electronics. This is why facilities on planets that no longer have a human presence can still operate.

I'd love for Bungie to elaborate on that more.

I think about that a lot as well. Why aren't we taking a space bus? 12 people are flying to the same place.

"Sorry guys, can't leave for the raid yet, bus didn't arrive."

todd360

Let's just quit destiny u guys. Let's just put a went on vacation sign on the thread and come back once new content arrives. Nami can come air the place out every once and while.

Lima

Lol! Guy leaves strike because it's Dust Palace. Ends up rejoining the same session. Leaves again once they realize it.

You know what would be nice? If they make these guys and fucking Omnigul finally Ultras so I can use my 3oC on them.

Yeah that would be great.

You know what would be nice? If they make these guys and fucking Omnigul finally Ultras so I can use my 3oC on them.

Yeah that would be great.

I wonder how many people even know that the Omnigul bond for the warlock is a thing. Its never been a Nightfall, so Im guessing most people dont have it. I have it, but Ive actually never seen anyone else wear it.

I wonder how many people even know that the Omnigul bond for the warlock is a thing. Its never been a Nightfall, so Im guessing most people dont have it. I have it, but Ive actually never seen anyone else wear it.

Pfffffttttt!

Ahh ha ha ah ah aha ha

In a 9 months period, Omnigul was the nightfall for 10 weeks.

09DEC14
30DEC14
27JAN15
17FEB15
17MAR15
28APR15
12MAY15
16JUN15
21JUL15
25AUG15

I realize none of those are after Taken King's release, but most of us that lived through Year 1 had our fill of Omnigul.

Why is The Tower called The Tower when it's clearly just one of many?

It's the last active tower. All others have been shut down and/or are inoperable.

Top Bottom