• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT41| Don't Worry, Leave Happy

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I suck at all PVP. But I love Destiny PVP because it rewards you for sucking. Sure, some quests are going to blow ass, but at least I'll still get goodies for finishing matches! I remember spending days trying to finish the various Exotic bounty PVP quests. The ones where you earned points for kills but lost points for deaths...The fucking worst.

But again - I sucked, eventually finished, and got some decent goodies after each match. I like that Destiny encourages you to try but doesn't force you to win (except Trials, but that's a whole different game).

I'm a little confused about how exotic blueprints work. I got a Plan C from a Xur legacy exotic engram. So it was year 1, I had no access to the year 2 version. But then today I checked again and I suddenly had the year 2 blueprint. How did this happen?

If you have the year 1 variant, the year 2 one will automatically unlock from the kiosk and can be purchased with legendary marks the first time. Every subsequent purchase (of the same exotic) only costs an exotic shard and glimmer.

Being total shit at the Crucible really blows when trying to do this quest line for my Triumphs. I'm so defeated right now.

Different playlists have different amounts of skill-based matchmaking; rumble and elimination have none, for instance. Would not be surprised to learn that salvage and skirmish have less than 6s to find you a match.

The SBMM in Clash/Control should find you similarly skilled players when you get through the frustrating 'game type' section. My partner plays console FPSes like a 25 year old auto-assembly robot: one axis of movement at a time— she still manages to get top overall score sometimes when solo-queuing; there are a lot of Carollas not being made, apparently.

... she still finished this questline months before I did.

If you have the year 1 variant, the year 2 one will automatically unlock from the kiosk and can be purchased with legendary marks the first time. Every subsequent purchase (of the same exotic) only costs an exotic shard and glimmer.

That's what I thought, but I could swear that for a while after I got it the Y2 wasn't available, and I read people on the internet saying that was normal.

neoism

sooo guys does the not opening exotic engrams and legs until roi trick work.... ? thats what ima do until the 20th if it works.. just save all engrams for ROI loot. just hope it doesnt take 20+ before and exotic drops again.. ��

GutZ31

sooo guys does the not opening exotic engrams and legs until roi trick work.... ? thats what ima do until the 20th if it works.. just save all engrams for ROI loot. just hope it doesnt take 20+ before and exotic drops again.. ��
I'm keeping purple and exotic engram, not expecting them to turn into new gear, just wanting them to turn into higher light level stuff pretty much, as well as legendary marks and exotic shards.

No, soft and perfect balance whilst ADS/Tapping, though if you have a Peril or Eyasluna with rifled you're probably better off using that

My Luna has quickdraw, outlaw, reinforced + hidden hand, not sure how that rates as rolls go on account of I'm hopeless at landing consistent head shots with hand cannons unless I'm really slow and deliberate about it.

Landed a bunch of high LL Perils but tbh I just infused them into weapons I can actually use.

I'm hopeless at landing consistent head shots with hand cannons unless I'm really slow and deliberate about it.

So I wrote this post and thought, "well why don't I be slow & deliberate, and then see if I can improve from there?" 5 kill streak from literally the moment I landed in the match. (Still finished 1:1 though :/ )

My Luna has quickdraw, outlaw, reinforced + hidden hand, not sure how that rates as rolls go on account of I'm hopeless at landing consistent head shots with hand cannons unless I'm really slow and deliberate about it.

Landed a bunch of high LL Perils but tbh I just infused them into weapons I can actually use.

For all the people asking about their handcannon drops this is the general rule of thumb for the perks (for me):

Best sight: sureshot
Second best: truesight

Best 1st perk: rangefinder
Second best: outlaw

Best 2nd perk: rifled barrel
Second best: reinforced barrel

Best 3rd perk: LiTC
Second best: Hidden hand or reactive reload

robo

I'm keeping purple and exotic engram, not expecting them to turn into new gear, just wanting them to turn into higher light level stuff pretty much, as well as legendary marks and exotic shards.

Didn't they break this with tkk, and all saved engram didn't give yr2 or higher light, could of sworn Bungie cottoned on after how and people ranked up via engram stored rather quickly.

May save exoctics, legendary ones none to fused, will see if I can save vanguard and faction rewards though closer to release.

Mikey Jr.

Daily PvE and PvP content should work for your LL, although the daily mission at 240 LL might still be a bit tough. But, if you do play the daily and weekly PvP (aside from IB) you'll get 30+ Legendary Marks.

If you have the time, I suggest doing the strike playlists for a while at normal level, and put on the blue gear you get as it comes in with higher light level than you currently have. Once you get to 250-270, jump over to the heroic strike playlist for better chances at higher gear level, and more drops.

You can also go to the court of oryx and run some coins thru to get some relatively easy loot from there.

You are better off not trying to infuse your legendary gear up just yet, and just roll with blues until you get very close to 300 light at least. at 300, you can do most content in the game without too much trouble, but still suggest 312+ for nightfall, Challenge of Elders, and Kings Fall Hard Mode raids.

At 300 light, you should also be able to survive in crucible where light level is turned on, such as Iron Banner.

Legendary Marks are easier to get once you are not under leveled for all the content that gives it.

FFA is the daily PvP and the weekly so that's a bit unfortunate. Next reset will probably be a team mode, but the daily PvP changes every day.

No, you don't have to win, you just have to finish the match - just remember, outside of weeklies, you can only get the marks once. Also, you can get legendary marks from dismantling legendary gear, and various quests.

Ranking up with the vanguard/a faction/vendors guarantees you an item that will increase your light. So focus on that.

The best thing for someone at your stage to do is hit your dailies, and just keep finishing up regular quests. Grab as many vanguard bounties as you can - you'll naturally complete them while you're doing other things. Use vanguard rep boosters, this will increase the rep you get from everything. And make sure you're in a faction, I ignored that for far too long. I was like "why would I join any of you people? You're all crazy.". Because they give you stuff just for existing, that's why

Thanks for the help guys.

Doing strikes was the right answer. Did half a dozen, and now my light is like 250. Just got a bunch of equipment that destroyed my old crap.

I can see a clear path now. Thanks guys.

At the moment, my Hunter can't hit LL 317. I know that's still a bit low for HM King's Fall and Challenge of Elders, but I really want to try and crank those out. Any Xbone Gafers interested/available to help me out today?

I haven't done either of those activities yet (though I did normal KF fairly frequently at launch), so I understand if it's too much to try and teach someone who also isn't quite at LL yet. Just been plugging away at Iron Banner to try and grab some higher level gear.

For all the people asking about their handcannon drops this is the general rule of thumb for the perks (for me):

Best sight: sureshot
Second best: truesight

Best 1st perk: rangefinder
Second best: outlaw

Best 2nd perk: rifled barrel
Second best: reinforced barrel

Best 3rd perk: LiTC
Second best: Hidden hand or reactive reload

Saved, thank you!

At the moment, my Hunter can't hit LL 317. I know that's still a bit low for HM King's Fall and Challenge of Elders, but I really want to try and crank those out. Any Xbone Gafers interested/available to help me out today?

I haven't done either of those activities yet (though I did normal KF fairly frequently at launch), so I understand if it's too much to try and teach someone who also isn't quite at LL yet. Just been plugging away at Iron Banner to try and grab some higher level gear.

I was ~317 earlier in the week, then I started doing Iron Banner - now I'm ~328. It's a great way to level up quickly.

Nope. Two grenades is the max. Although, how does that make Starfire Protocol less useful?

Because if you could stack that with Gift of the Sun, you'd have 3 grenades. Instead it...lets you have 2 grenades & use Angel of Light? Touch of Flame is useless because your Fusion Grenades are insta-kill anyway.

Because if you could stack that with Gift of the Sun, you'd have 3 grenades. Instead it...lets you have 2 grenades & use Angel of Light? Touch of Flame is useless because your Fusion Grenades are insta-kill anyway.
Angel of Light is a great perk if you have good aim with a sniper. You can catch a lot of enemies by surprise.

blamite

So we tried Oryx challenge on normal last night, and even though we seemingly detonated all 16 bombs at inch and Oryx's health was down to just a sliver, for some reason he didn't die and just did another shadow realm phase instead? Is there a specific time after the stagger you need to activate the bombs at or something? It seemed like we did everything right so I couldn't figure out why it didn't work. Any tips?

So we tried Oryx challenge on normal last night, and even though we seemingly detonated all 16 bombs at inch and Oryx's health was down to just a sliver, for some reason he didn't die and just did another shadow realm phase instead? Is there a specific time after the stagger you need to activate the bombs at or something? It seemed like we did everything right so I couldn't figure out why it didn't work. Any tips?

Maybe you guys didn't do enough damage to his chest after the bombs detonated to finish him off? Then again, I've seen so many weird things in that fight when it looks like you did everything right but it just doesn't work.

GutZ31

This sounds like one bomb didn't go off, or possibly one bomb was eaten at some point.
If you don't see your name roll on the screen while activating the bomb 4 times, you should just sit in it, and take one for the team.

Sometimes, you can have someone just a little off on there detonations that the other bombs destroy one before it activates fully.
Just gotta try at it again, and hope lag isn't an issue as well.

blamite

This sounds like one bomb didn't go off, or possibly one bomb was eaten at some point.
If you don't see your name roll on the screen while activating the bomb 4 times, you should just sit in it, and take one for the team.

Sometimes, you can have someone just a little off on there detonations that the other bombs destroy one before it activates fully.
Just gotta try at it again, and hope lag isn't an issue as well.
I think this is probably the most likely case, since one stack had at least one bomb a little bit off from the rest. I'd have expected his health to be higher if we had missed an entire bomb (the sliver was so small it looked almost exactly like when he'd be dead) but I dunno. Just gotta try again tonight.
Maybe you guys didn't do enough damage to his chest after the bombs detonated to finish him off? Then again, I've seen so many weird things in that fight when it looks like you did everything right but it just doesn't work.
I wonder about this, too. I'm not sure exactly how the mechanic around shooting his chest for the bombs works, if it's just a binary enough damage/not enough damage to be hurt by the bombs or if the bomb damage is based on how much you've shot his chest or what, but this is definitely a possibility.

Definitive:

Plan C > Susanoo > Panta Rhei > The Vacancy (I know some people speak highly of this but the charge time kills it for me)>.......Spare Change

Queenbreaker's Bow = ??? Tier

Angel of Light is a great perk if you have good aim with a sniper. You can catch a lot of enemies by surprise.

That...seems like a pretty lame thing to waste an exotic slot on. It looks cool but it seems as often as not I'm the one who gets sniped with that ability. I think the secret here may be that Touch of Flame is actually more useful, since it turns missed Fusion Grenades into something closer to normal grenades - it'll do a bunch of damage on the explosion + ticking off burn damage.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As someone who just hit 40 as well, getting all these blue weapons that poop on my old legendary and exotics makes me sad. I don't want to put my guns away, and I don't have the mats to upgrade them (nor do I know where to get these mats).

As someone who just hit 40 as well, getting all these blue weapons that poop on my old legendary and exotics makes me sad. I don't want to put my guns away, and I don't have the mats to upgrade them (nor do I know where to get these mats).

You can get weapon materials from the gunsmith in the tower, or just from dismantling weapons yourself. Other things, like relic iron, spirit bloom, spin metal etc., can either be purchased from the Vanguard outfitter in the tower for legendary marks, or farmed yourself on patrol, each planet has a different material. Certain ghosts can detect the materials on your HUD (it'll say what they can detect in their description), but they always spawn in generally the same spots.

Just got a Finnala's Peril with third eye and rangefinder. Is this a better roll for PvP than the vendor version with outlaw and reactive reload? I can post the sight options and other perk column if it matters.

Preserving the greatest K:D I will likely ever have for posterity:

DMw13pn.jpg

Joined the match with like 3 mins left.

Although I'll take this one too:

heP8yD7.jpg

I think maybe all the good players have gone to bed, and I probably should too.

Top Bottom