• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

lawtowler

I welcome revives in HM as long as the trade-off is still punishing.

Luke is right, if you do die in HM it's very frustrating to either have the group wipe or try to 5-man it.

Raven117

Gold Member
Just pre-ordered ... all 100 bucks for the digital copy.

Feels good.

After 700 hours of Destiny 1 and all expansions...Im ready for another go.

Juan

After 700 hours of Destiny 1 and all expansions...Im ready for another go.

I'm still surprise when I hear people spending that much time on a game like this (fun game, but I'm not really excited by looting stuff that look and feel to other guns in the game).

zewone

I'm still surprise when I hear people spending that much time on a game like this (fun game, but I'm not really excited by looting stuff that look and feel to other guns in the game).

Tell me the game you spent the most time with and I'll explain why that's crazy.

Raven117

Gold Member

Its all about playing with your buddies and NeoGaf...The hype of the "new hotness", the meta, cheesing raids, failed raids, LFG horror stories, success stories . . . all wrapped up into buttery smooth gunplay with a decent enough challenge at the end game (raids...etc).

That mixed together with the hype of a NEW game...and yeah...its going to be fever pitch around here...and its going to be a blast.

Juan

Its all about playing with your buddies and NeoGaf...The hype of the "new hotness", the meta, cheesing raids, failed raids, LFG horror stories, success stories . . . all wrapped up into buttery smooth gunplay with a decent enough challenge at the end game (raids...etc).

That mixed together with the hype of a NEW game...and yeah...its going to be fever pitch around here...and its going to be a blast.

Well that's a fairly good explanation now! I guess I just wasn't involved enough in this game with my friends to really understand the meta and appeal surrounding the endgame (played Year 1, thought it was boring as hell and couldn't love the loot system, bought Taken King and saw the game having a really good improvement, but was still too repetitive for me, bought Rise of Iron, same song).

I guess I will just wait the end of year 1 to buy Destiny 2 and get all the expansion into a Collection stuff with all the improvement players will get after complaining on some of the mechanic.

Well, at least, I hope Destiny 2 will have better story missions with a good sense of pacing and narrative. Maybe I would have a different opinion about Destiny if the story missions were actually good and leading naturally to the endgame, even if the endgame is repetitive (like TTK and RoI did).

FyreWulff

1819h -146h deleted
10 weeks 5 days 19 hours 41 minutes 44 seconds
3 active and 4 deleted characters.

I got one of those from my first AoT loot box. Never wore it.

SON OF A

My brother got it as his first AoT drop. And then sent me 5 picture messages on PSN with him wearing it. lol

zewone

1703h -269h deleted

Hmmm, Halo (the multiplayer part) I guess. Or maybe Mario Kart Double Dash/Smash Bros Melee.

I'm still surprise when I hear people spending that much time on a game like this (fun game, but I'm not really excited by shooting stuff with the same 9 guns).

Juan

1703h -269h deleted

I'm still surprise when I hear people spending that much time on a game like this (fun game, but I'm not really excited by shooting stuff with the same 9 guns).

You aren't really good at giving constructive feedback I guess? Because, well, in Destiny, you're actually doing this, shooting stuff with the same guns over and over again. Oh, sometimes, you get the same gun with a different skin and sound. :3

And Mario Kart Double Dash doesn't have gun actually.

zewone

You aren't really good at giving constructive feedback I guess? Because, well, in Destiny, you're actually doing this, shooting stuff with the same guns over and over again. Oh, sometimes, you get the same gun with a different skin and sound. :3

And Mario Kart Double Dash doesn't have gun actually.

Well Juan,

In Halo there are 9 guns.

In Destiny there are a many guns, some with slight variations that make them behave differently than similar guns. You can find a gun that fits your playstyle.

Not to mention the number of exotics with very unique characteristics.

Yet, the game you spent the most time on is a game with only 9 weapons, some of what are just alien variations (AR = Energy Rifle, Sniper Rifle = Beam Rifle).

So, you're going to criticize someone for playing a game because of the lack of variety in the guns, yet your most played game has even less variation...

Regarding, Mario Kart. I obviously didn't respond as it wasn't worth the effort I was making to show you how ridiculous your statement was.

Juan

Well Juan,

In Halo there are 9 guns.

In Destiny there are a many guns, some with slight variations that make them behave differently than similar guns. You can find a gun that fits your playstyle.

Not to mention the number of exotics with very unique characteristics.

Yet, the game you spent the most time on is a game with only 9 weapons, some of what are just alien variations (AR = Energy Rifle, Sniper Rifle = Beam Rifle).

So, you're going to criticize someone for playing a game because of the lack of variety in the guns, yet your most played game has even less variation...

Regarding, Mario Kart. I obviously didn't respond as it wasn't worth the effort I was making to show you how ridiculous your statement was.

Well actually, my initial comment was more about the appeal of loot (versus the appeal of sensation, since you can see that the statement was more that you're chasing guns/armors that are fairly similar, where in Halo you don't chase loot and stuff). :)

But I guess that's how people (only you?) react when you dare have a comment on a game they spent so much time with.

Raven117 at least gave a good overview about what makes the game appealing to him (and other people), aka having a cooperative FPS with a decent amount of challenge if you're in with good shooting mechanics.

And please, I know you're defending a game you like, but Last Word or Harkmoon, both exotic weapons, aren't really different from a Duke Mk. 21, it just very artificial because based on enemies level. :)

Again, I didn't criticize, I'm just telling I'm surprise to see someone spending more then 500 hours on this game where, from my pov, the loot and the endgame are very artificial (like I spent myself 300 hours with this game).

Last thing, in Halo, each game have a particular role, even the alien versions, and the MP part surely have a better pacing and skill gap that isn't there in Destiny (where Destiny have a cooperative approach that Halo doesn't have since it is more focus around solo gameplay).

If you're calling ridiculous a simple comment, I hope you're not representing the mindset the Destiny community share. Because it is actually awful. :)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't own a PC and I'm not buying/building one for one game, however good it looks. I'm not that hardcore about graphics.

It's not about graphics, it's about frame rate, going from 30 - 60 is night and day and improves the gameplay massively. I'd rather play 720p/60 than 4K/30.

2346 hours on my main account.. im probably not even in the upper 15% of destiny gaf...

Around 200 hours on my oldest kid account (he clocked 306 hours, with 44 hours on a deleted character....)

Juan

It's not about graphics, it's about frame rate, going from 30 - 60 is night and day and improves the gameplay massively. I'd rather play 720p/60 than 4K/30.

I've been shocked when I saw Destiny running at 4k 60fps on the NVIDIA Booth, that's amazing, I'm really pissed off by the decision Bungie made for running at 30fps on every consoles... I always felt Destiny 1 was a bit slow when playing at 30fps, and after playing every game at 60fps, it's hard to play it again...

At least, that's a solid 30fps with ton of new VFX.

2346 hours on my main account.. im probably not even in the upper 15% of destiny gaf...

Around 200 hours on my oldest kid account (he clocked 306 hours, with 44 hours on a deleted character....)

I think the top (all Destiny players) is like 12888 hours, and I was like "Wow". x)

Was it time spend most on Raid or PvP?

Trakan

Kotaku released an interview with Luke Smith. There's a lot of the same things we've already heard about but these two were new to me.

- Luke admits at one point they had no idea what the "darkness" was and that they lumped all the races together as "minions of the darkness." They're going to teach you about what the light is and when they bring the darkness back up again you'll know what it's about.

- "Guided games" are only for normal modes, not heroic.

Deku Tree

Kotaku released an interview with Luke Smith. There's a lot of the same things we've already heard about but these two were new to me.

- Luke admits at one point they had no idea what the "darkness" was and that they lumped all the races together as "minions of the darkness." They're going to teach you about what the light is and when they bring the darkness back up again you'll know what it's about.

- "Guided games" are only for normal modes, not heroic.

As it should be but that is gonna be a big deal to a lot of people. I expect meltdowns on gaming side.

zewone

Well actually, my initial comment was more about the appeal of loot (versus the appeal of sensation, since you can see that the statement was more that you're chasing guns/armors that are fairly similar, where in Halo you don't chase loot and stuff). :)

But I guess that's how people (only you?) react when you dare have a comment on a game they spent so much time with.

Raven117 at least gave a good overview about what makes the game appealing to him (and other people), aka having a cooperative FPS with a decent amount of challenge if you're in with good shooting mechanics.

And please, I know you're defending a game you like, but Last Word or Harkmoon, both exotic weapons, aren't really different from a Duke Mk. 21, it just very artificial because based on enemies level. :)

Again, I didn't criticize, I'm just telling I'm surprise to see someone spending more then 500 hours on this game where, from my pov, the loot and the endgame are very artificial (like I spent myself 300 hours with this game).

Last thing, in Halo, each game have a particular role, even the alien versions, and the MP part surely have a better pacing and skill gap that isn't there in Destiny (where Destiny have a cooperative approach that Halo doesn't have since it is more focus around solo gameplay).

If you're calling ridiculous a simple comment, I hope you're not representing the mindset the Destiny community share. Because it is actually awful. :)
I don't care what anyone else in the Destiny community thinks and I don't have some hive mind regarding my opinion.

You tried some stealth thread crapping and tried to present it in a neutral manner. I called you out on it. I didn't care to really shit on Halo; I just think your attitude of criticizing how someone spends their time to be ridiculous.

Juan

I don't care what anyone else in the Destiny community thinks and I don't have some hive mind regarding my opinion.

You tried some stealth thread crapping and tried to present it in a neutral manner. I called you out on it. I didn't care to really shit on Halo; I just think your attitude of criticizing how someone spends their time to be ridiculous.

Lol. I already posted there before, and I'm a Destiny player, hell I even had a french website about it, I'm just going back some time to time to see what people are talking about, so you really are an idiot. :)

Again, didn't criticize, but one can't say he is surprised by the amount of time (since it's big numbers) someone spend on a game? Since when being surprise is a criticize toward someone.

Anyway, I think you really are an idiot and hopefully not the whole Destiny community is like you.

I'm putting you on my ignore list. I'm not here on a community thread to deal with ridiculous people and aggressive like you.

zethren

Banned
Well that's a fairly good explanation now! I guess I just wasn't involved enough in this game with my friends to really understand the meta and appeal surrounding the endgame (played Year 1, thought it was boring as hell and couldn't love the loot system, bought Taken King and saw the game having a really good improvement, but was still too repetitive for me, bought Rise of Iron, same song).

I guess I will just wait the end of year 1 to buy Destiny 2 and get all the expansion into a Collection stuff with all the improvement players will get after complaining on some of the mechanic.

Well, at least, I hope Destiny 2 will have better story missions with a good sense of pacing and narrative. Maybe I would have a different opinion about Destiny if the story missions were actually good and leading naturally to the endgame, even if the endgame is repetitive (like TTK and RoI did).

I'm not sure a game like Destiny is for you, really. Loot based RPGs, and loot based games in general, are all about a consistent continued effort within the same realm of content to get different rolls on said loot. Particularly in the endgame. If the repetitive nature doesn't appeal to you, that's fine. But it is by design, and for a lot of players (including myself) it's a lot of fun to chase that loot. Especially with groups of friends, coming together online to raid or run pvp.

Halo is great, and I was a huge Melee player for years. But Destiny is a totally different beast from those games entirely, and offers up a very different experience.

Li Kao

Alright guys, I know that it's stupid but as somebody who has never played Destiny I'm a little sad to skip the first one.
But what says you Gaf ?
Will I have the time to play the game and all its extensions in a meaningful manner before the second one releases ?
Is it worth it ? I mean are there still new players, is the game a ghost town ? Is the lore that is inexistant in the base game if I understand correctly indeed present in the extensions ?
Will it be a good lttp or just a plain boring lttp ?

Alright guys, I know that it's stupid but as somebody who has never played Destiny I'm a little sad to skip the first one.
But what says you Gaf ?
Will I have the time to play the game and all its extensions in a meaningful manner before the second one releases ?
Is it worth it ? I mean are there still new players, is the game a ghost town ? Is the lore that is inexistant in the base game if I understand correctly indeed present in the extensions ?
Will it be a good lttp or just a plain boring lttp ?

There's enough time to play through most of the content. Probably not all of the raids though unless you're really dedicated to pushing it.

Honestly, Destiny 2 is enough of a fresh slate that you wouldn't be missing much just starting there and you'd save some cash too. The majority of the lore for Destiny 1 isn't in-game, and you can read up on the out-of-game stuff on a few different websites. To even unlock it while playing wouldn't be possible for you at this point.

Since you don't have any experience whatsoever with Destiny and you may find that you don't actually like it, I'd suggest you wait for Destiny 2's Beta and give that a whirl. Then if you like the way it plays, just get Destiny 2 in Sept/Oct (depending on console or PC) and play that. If you want to learn the lore, check out the various websites (I don't know them off hand or I'd link them). But do so knowing that not all of the lore will even be addressed in Destiny 2.

ramyeon

Now at 384LL, it's a slow grind to 400. What kind of stuff should I be focusing on to get better gear? I've been dabbling in the SIVA Heroic Strikes and outside of that mainly doing Crucible so far.

KainXVIII

Reposting from steam thread:
I wonder if Destiny 1 is worth getting now (i know where to get it very cheap, like for $2, ps3 version though, which i only have)? I don't know - maybe for story or even gameplay (i prefer single)..

Top Bottom