• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

ZeoVGM

Banned
I get that it's a sequel, and it'll get the push on that.

You gotta think of it more in MMO terms though. It's more a platform vs one big drop like a CoD game. Better to look at how Blizzard markets WoW than say how EA markets Titanfall.

It's actually the complete opposite of that. Bungie and Activision do not want anyone thinking of this in MMO terms.

They will be pushing that this is a completely new game, from the ground up, and not a platform.

Because it really isn't. This is as if we were moving from one CoD to the next. Or from FFXI to FFXIV. And Activision will make sure to let that be known so it's not tied to any negative opinions of the original.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PSN: GibbShift

I plan on filling that card out in order to "beat" the game, so I'm down for games. You should probably get acquainted with the Destiny Discord, too, if you haven't already. We may get lucky and have a pretty big increase of posts here once everything goes up next week. But thanks to the drought of activity, everybody has gotten mad cliquey.

Thank you. What the hell is a Discord, and how do I get in on that shizz? I didn't PUG or LFG much (I was part of two and a half damn reliable raid groups), but when I did, I preferred Dos Equis. I mean, the100.io.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just curious, have they ever said why they chose to do Crota's End first considering Vault of Glass came before it. It seems like a really weird thing to do.

Apologies if answered. They specifically mentioned moving that one up because -due to the raid always having been so thoroughly broken, to the extent it's just a glorified strike- they worked really hard to retool it so that it plays more like an actual raid. I believe they mentioned it was the one most changed for Age of Triumph, so they want it front and center.

Edit - clarification.

gspec

Technically you can go infinite hammers or arc blade in new VOG. Going to try both.

That will be patched out according to bungie next week.

bungie:

Patch Notes Preview

These next three modules belong to your Community Manager. Check out the details, the people, and the media he's been tracking.

Cozmo: The Patch Notes for update 2.6.0 are locked, loaded, and ready to go. As always, we will post them along with the update on March 28 around 10:00 AM Pacific. Here is a little preview of a few changes you can expect to see next Tuesday.

Updated Crucible Daily Bounties to be more inclusive, no longer requiring specific Subclasses or Fireteams

Fixed an issue where a player on the surviving team could use Fireborn to cause the round to continue even when all enemies were dead

Fixed an issue that allowed Supers to stay activated longer than intended

That's just a taste. The rest of the notes will appear on the blog, like they always do when you need something to pass the time while the download wheel turns.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That will be patched out according to bungie next week.

bungie:

Patch Notes Preview

These next three modules belong to your Community Manager. Check out the details, the people, and the media he’s been tracking.

Cozmo: The Patch Notes for update 2.6.0 are locked, loaded, and ready to go. As always, we will post them along with the update on March 28 around 10:00 AM Pacific. Here is a little preview of a few changes you can expect to see next Tuesday.

Updated Crucible Daily Bounties to be more inclusive, no longer requiring specific Subclasses or Fireteams

Fixed an issue where a player on the surviving team could use Fireborn to cause the round to continue even when all enemies were dead

Fixed an issue that allowed Supers to stay activated longer than intended

That’s just a taste. The rest of the notes will appear on the blog, like they always do when you need something to pass the time while the download wheel turns.

tumblr_on5ob4h12K1r539hzo1_400.gif

After playing a certain other game...
PvE in Destiny will always be tied down by PvP and vice versa and that sucks. The Destiny classes are all mostly just variations on Grenade, Melle, and Super. Trying to get too inventive with that formula leads problems in PvP. Same goes with the weapons.

I have an Anagran Avenger in the other game at 20, and I'm still hunting for the other classes.

DocSeuss

I'm sad my raid crew broke down. Haven't even done the most recent raid, and never could get enough people to get me through level 42 so I could get a new Lord of Wolves. Can't even NF properly these days, no icebreaker.

I really need to get into playing regularly again.

Jabronium

Looks like Gamestop EU is taking D2 preorders, including for PC.

I actually logged into bungo's site last night and looked my gear over for the first time in months. Sigh.

whats the best fusion rifle i can get from a vendor?

From a vender you'd probably want to go with 'The Vacancy' from FWC.

Additionally:

'Saladin's Vigil' is obtainable from the Archon Forge, but it's RNG and it can take a bit of time to have one drop, let alone one with the perks you require.

Some of the Crucible FRs are considered good, but extreme RNG for those.

Susanoo is one I enjoy using for Warlock, and is easy to get from Gunsmith. But stat and perk wise it's objectively worse than my favorite.
Thesan FR4

As someone who uses only Fusions in crucible, I'd say 'Thesan FR4' is my personal favorite. It's from the Gunsmith. So you may have to wait a few weeks to get that one with rolls you like.

Ultimately, I look for Rangefinder on any Fusion I want to use. You can one shot 'snipe' with that perk. People put down Fusion Rifles a lot. And objectively, it makes sense. But I personally have more fun using FRs than SGs and I'm awful with Snipers. Really it just comes down to SGs being far easier to use. The key to using a FR effectively is proper use of your radar. If you time your charge correctly, you will have a one up on any shotgun user as long as your positioning is set up properly. I.E. you are out of their range with a partially charged FR shot ready to go as soon as you make visual contact.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Help a dad out here.

My boy wants to play Destiny on his 360. I see the base game everywhere for cheap, and I've seen some Taken King versions as well, but they are all marked with a "no dlc included" sticker.

Is all of the Legacy content free and available to anyone that plays the game on 360/PS3? Or do I need to find a Taken King version of the game?

Additionally:

'Saladin's Vigil' is obtainable from the Archon Forge, but it's RNG and it can take a bit of time to have one drop, let alone one with the perks you require.

Susanoo is one I enjoy using for Warlock, and is easy to get from Gunsmith. But stat and perk wise it's objectively worse than my favorite.
Thesan FR4

As someone who uses only Fusions in crucible, I'd say 'Thesan FR4' is my personal favorite. It's from the Gunsmith. So you may have to wait a few weeks to get that one with rolls you like.

Ultimately, I look for Rangefinder on any Fusion I want to use. You can one shot 'snipe' with that perk. People put down Fusion Rifles a lot. And objectively, it makes sense. But I personally have more fun using FRs than SGs and I'm awful with Snipers. Really it just comes down to SGs being far easier to use. The key to using a FR effectively is proper use of your radar. If you time your charge correctly, you will have a one up on any shotgun user as long as your positioning is set up properly. I.E. you are out of their range with a partially charged FR shot ready to go as soon as you make visual contact.

77 wizard is also a good option

FyreWulff

Help a dad out here.

My boy wants to play Destiny on his 360. I see the base game everywhere for cheap, and I've seen some Taken King versions as well, but they are all marked with a "no dlc included" sticker.

Is all of the Legacy content free and available to anyone that plays the game on 360/PS3? Or do I need to find a Taken King version of the game?

Without any DLC they can play the vanilla story and the legacy playlists for Crucible (there are 3) and play Patrol and Story missions without Gold on Xbox

On PS3 you can do everything that doesn't require DLC, because there's no subscription requirement on that version.

Note that on 360 they will need an actual hard drive.

If you look around you should be able to find new copies of the Taken King Legendary Edition for like 15-20$.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Watching Halo tourney and when shots look like they hit regardless of anything, it hits. Not the case in Destiny.

biteren

Additionally:

Thesan FR4

ill go get that one and grind for the archon forge one too

Spades

Help a dad out here.

Presumably the games you're looking at are pre-owned? If so, that would explain the "No DLC Included" sticker as all of the disc versions of Destiny are vanilla only. All the DLC comes in the form of download codes.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there some (written, not video) collection of what comes with the... uh, April update?
I don't follow Destiny news closely so i'm completely out of loop.

Lasty95

I'm not afraid of that. I mean, Destiny vanilla was pretty poorly received, and objectively a worse game than what Destiny has evolved into. So it's hard for me to make any kind of correlation between CoD4 and D1. And to be completely honest, I don't think D2 could launch much worse off than D1 did.

I disagree completely.

Although they did make great strides in terms of story and structure, the actually playable content of vanilla Destiny was the best it's been.

There was a quality in the encounters of those first bach of strikes and in VoG that nothing since has matched.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Match making is super bizarre lately. With a full team we got matched up against one single person.

I have no idea what's going on. One minute we're here, next we're there.

I disagree completely.

Although they did make great strides in terms of story and structure, the actually playable content of vanilla Destiny was the best it's been.

There was a quality in the encounters of those first bach of strikes and in VoG that nothing since has matched.

I'd be willing to bet money that you are in a very tiny minority.

Strikes: TTK strikes had variety. Vanilla strikes are heavily criticized for bullet sponge bosses and wave defense.

Raids: All are pretty good but the first raids are highly cheesed. And the newer ones reward systems are far better. Encounters for all are great.

Story missions: Here's where I'm confused. How are TTK missions not better than vanilla? Stealth misson, black spindle secret, variety. Vanilla = go to a thing, scan, wave defense, repeat.

And talk about playable content. How much fun was it going around Mars in circles to collect 160 relic iron to fully upgrade your armor set, only to do it all over again once you got your raid gear? Vanilla had a lot of problems.

Sorry but I just don't see it.

Sky Walker

Turning the elemental primaries into exotics is a smart solution to make us go back to our non elemental legendary weapons at some point, yet it isn't the perfect solution.It makes the other non raid or non elemental exotic weapons more inferior than they used to be pve wise.

Trakan

I'd be willing to bet money that you are in a very tiny minority.

Strikes: TTK strikes had variety. Vanilla strikes are heavily criticized for bullet sponge bosses and wave defense.

Raids: All are pretty good but the first raids are highly cheesed. And the newer ones reward systems are far better. Encounters for all are great.

Story missions: Here's where I'm confused. How are TTK missions not better than vanilla? Stealth misson, black spindle secret, variety. Vanilla = go to a thing, scan, wave defense, repeat.

And talk about playable content. How much fun was it going around Mars in circles to collect 160 relic iron to fully upgrade your armor set, only to do it all over again once you got your raid gear? Vanilla had a lot of problems.

Sorry but I just don't see it.

For me, it's about how things worked in Vanilla. I'll agree with you that some things improved, but I preferred Vanilla personally. I liked that the Nightfalls actually gave good loot and that buff was great for XP all week. I liked that they had the 3x burn. Raid loot was actually worth going after with elemental primaries. Bounties were easy and worth a lot of XP. Now they're annoying and worth hardly any XP. I liked the RNG exotics over quests/free exotics for everybody.

I realize they're bring some of this back with this last patch but it's been 2 years of TTK without it.

Top Bottom