• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

shem935

Banned
they could have published a game through a third party publisher that let them keep the ip. You don't know the details between the partnership insomniac shares with MS compared to the one with EA. ie creative control, business model, development time.

They can get a game published with another party, that does not mean you would get the same game.

I'm not sure I follow but whatever I'm gonna drop it.

tensuke

Since the game isn't cross-platform it's not the biggest deal (Xbox players won't notice the missing maps/items). But still, exclusive DLC is lame any way you shake it.

Shin

Banned
I never got a 360 until late last gen, in fact Reach was one of the first games I bought & played. One of the main reasons I bought one was because I got fed up waiting for Oblivion, CoD, Fallout, Skyrim DLC among others, some of which came around a year later just like this Destiny DLC is rumored to have.

Figured MS threw around money like most of us do but the PS3 was struggling just as much at the time so it was probably a pretty easy choice for publishers as well. I was just as angry with Sony as I was with the whole outcome.

Well guess what, Sony got their head out of it ass, has the pubs & devs in their corner (including a damn good one in Bungie) and as a PS4 only owner at the moment I don't really feel too sympathetic about this situation.

A year is a pretty long time so I agree waiting will suck, but good for Sony, they need this.

This pretty much, sure it might "suck" if this turns out to be true.
But at the same time people didn't have a problem with it during the X360/PS3 era, hell they probably decided to go with X and Z platform because of some extra content so I don't get why it's a problem now.

Hell with parity and every game has to be exactly the same, I see these things as an incentive to buy a specific console.
No complains from me, whichever console has the best version of said game is the one I'll be buying the game on.

Drac84

Getting on PS4 so this doesn't affect me, but it's an awfully long time to remain exclusive. Surey a month or two is long enough? In the launch month you want players to buy the game on your system, and recommend it to their friends on your system. The point of exclusive content is to convince people that have both systems to buy on your platform, and for people that are buying a next-gen system specifically to play this game to buy your system. After a few months there isn't really any pont to exclusivity. Whole thing is a bit bizarre.

Nocturno999

Well, Sony wants to spread the message that Bungie develops for the PS4, and not only that, they are making the best version for it.

Lame, but very good tactic. Is not like MS didn't use it to death last gen.

I'm not sure I follow but whatever I'm gonna drop it.

He's saying in this day and age, it is extremely rare for a publisher to let a dev keep an IP and it's not as easy as just taking it somewhere else (Insomniac have already said they approached Sony but Sony wanted the IP). Taking it somewhere that would could be on the condition of a significantly smaller budget resulting in a significantly different game than originally proposed or on the condition of creative input again resulting in a significantly different game.

Piggus

Getting on PS4 so this doesn't affect me, but it's an awfully long time to remain exclusive. Surey a month or two is long enough? In the launch month you want players to buy the game on your system, and recommend it to their friends on your system. The point of exclusive content is to convince people that have both systems to buy on your platform, and for people that are buying a next-gen system specifically to play this game to buy your system. After a few months there isn't really any pont to exclusivity. Whole thing is a bit bizarre.

Destiny will probably have long legs in terms of sales. People aren't going to just stop buying it after two months. So the differences will count for something for quite a while.

I wonder how many people complaining were on the other side of the fence when Microsoft was doing this sort of thing all the damn time. The GTA episodes come to mind. You still chose to get a 'Bone and we've known for a very long time (over a year) that Destiny would have exclusive content on PS4. So get over it. You were given a choice and you still have a choice. You're not forced to miss out on content. It's an annoying business practice but at least you still get to play the game.

Katsa

Banned
Microsoft funding and publishing games does not equate to money hat, that is just nonsense.Being salty should not mean you shouldn't use your common sense.

It's interesting that MS decided to "fund" highly-potential titles like Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive. At least with Destiny all gamers still get to play the game, despite the whole exclusive content thing. Its one thing having exclusive first-party titles, and another keeping third-party titles away from a competitor's platform.

Sorral

yes, this happens in the AAA business

Yes, obviously. But I guess you forgot that Zampella and West are heading the game/studio and how EA wants to have the next CoD.

As for the "substantial evidence" bit, I wouldn't call it anything close to that, but sure I guess.

rrc1594

It's interesting that MS decided to "fund" highly-potential titles like Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive. At least with Destiny all gamers still get to play the game, despite the whole exclusive content thing. Its one thing having exclusive first-party titles, and another keeping third-party titles away from a competitor's platform.

Well if MS publish and funds a game it makes it first-party. Which is what Sunset Overdrive is.

moonbox

Banned
Since the game isn't cross-platform it's not the biggest deal (Xbox players won't notice the missing maps/items). But still, exclusive DLC is lame any way you shake it.

Who says this? Honestly. We aren't animals, you know. 'It's okay, they don't know any better.' It isn't even missing content, it's extra content, of course it'll be 'noticed'. In fact, its exclusivity has already been 'noticed', hence the uproar.

cakely

Amazon might be exaggerating the time, but honestly fine by me. It's one strike, right? Not that much to complain about if you're buying Destiny for the Xbox One instead of the Playstation 4.

Yes, and did they actually make it clear what in all the things that PS4 gets is timed exclusive? Did they make clear for how long? Did they make it clear if all that means is that it will show up on eventual PC release but not on Xbox? None of this is clear, so conclusion should be we don't know.

Show me this person who praised it.

Should have read the thread.

Exclusive content for the best version of the game? No complaints here.

See this is why I like Sony. They actually form partnerships to get DLC instead of money hatting like Microsoft does.

I'm glad for it! I love the timed exclusive content. Competition like this eventually gets us all the better product in the end.

payback for all the MS exclusive COD content I guess

Jeez, people, this isn't the first time a platform owner has paid for exclusivity of content. Yes, it sucks. Unfortunately, it's a part of life now. If it bothers you enough, don't buy the game. I know I withheld my money from buying CoD DLC because I lost interest in the game before it came out. Shit happens; vote with your wallet if it's so important.

It's not like it's gonna be something amazing or game changing in the first place.

jayu26

The praise for timed exclusivity in this thread is insane. I don't really care for it but every time MS announces a deal it's "evil" and "because moneyhat". I guess Sony paid Activsion in peanuts.
Show me this person who praised it.

There are people in this very thread doing it.

Yeah, show me. Indifference does not equal praise.

PS4 purchase redeemed

Unless you are joking EL CUCO, stop making me look like an idiot.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Well if MS publish and funds a game it makes it first-party. Which is what Sunset Overdrive is.
Actually no. If MS owns the studio that creates the game, that makes it first party. Insomniac is an independant studio (they're still doing PS4 stuff afterall), so that means Sunset Overdrive is still Third Party, but it's a Third-Party Exclusive.

Did they just have a blanket deal? Stuff like Rayman and Far Cry 3 seemed to not get hit, I always figured it was just a game to game basis.
I just kind of assumed it was cause you never saw promotions by MS for Ubi games, either Sony or just Ubi themselves.
there's no exclusive content with AC Unity, meanwhile Far Cry 4 gets that exclusive co-op -even if friend doesn't have the game- mode on PS4.
Ah, looks like I stand corrected. Division deal for Xbox and Far Cry for PS.
I guess the same could be said for the other games as well. "Meh" doesn't really hold ground as the game isn't out yet and the true competitiveness has yet to reach its height, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion I guess.

Yeah I mean obviously opinions on a limited test of an incomplete game are just that, and should be taken as such. Heard and seen enough of the gameplay and mechanics personally that I would be shocked if Destiny's PvP is the next big competitive MP game though.

Piggus

Funny how you neglected to mention Titanfall, where potential PS4 sales were essentially bought out just so MS could keep it as a console exclusive.

So you're saying that were it not for Sony buying in, that this map would not be released at some point to both platforms at the same time, maybe even on day one?

I'm saying this is standard business practice today. Unless we hear from the people involved in the negotiating table from Bungie we technically will never know.

But for sure it's standard business practice, that paying for timed exclusive content helps against the development cost.

If Sony paid for its development, why does the Xbox get it at all?

Bungie has been adamant about everyone getting the same experiance. Kind-of-funny when you think about it because PS4 does get some experienced first. But I guess overall everyone will eventually get the same experiance. Obviously Bungie didn't want an exclusive only game, otherwise it would have happened.

And in Bungies case, they were probbly so well funded, what ever Sony paid them for exclusive timing, probbly goes to the general development cost or profit of the game. (smaller houses needing funding might go to the specific extra assets created) it in many ways comes down the negotiating table. Negotiations are very unique, dynamic, fluid, give and take, this is where they ended up on, this was the agreement they settled on. Regardless, the additional investment helps the ROI of any business.

And speaking to the issue of Bungie being so adamant about a similar player experiance across all platforms, I'm surprised more Sony fans have not spoken about the probability of X1 holding back the PS4 in the publicized build of 30fps on each console.

As Bungie stated the extra power from the removal of Kinect allows them to get up to 30fps on X1. Hinting that they were below the 30fps threashold before.

The final build will tell us if they did stick to 30fps on the PS4 build. But I think it safe to assume if X1 is just reaching 30fps, then PS4 should at least get that or more. Perhaps they are just playing it safe with that statement to have no X1 fan backlash? Time will tell.

You see something that wouldn't have existed without Sony, and I see something that (in this instance) Sony paid for in order to keep Xbox gamers from playing. We've seen the same thing on the MS side, paying to delay COD DLC to Sony platforms.

No gamer ends up as the winner, or with a better product. Not that I've seen anyway.

In this particular case (as each game and each negotiation is a case by case basis) I would not say it would not have ever existed. We don't know for sure unless we were at the negotiating table, or Bungie talks about its business practices.

Could even come down to a bean counter saying "we have enough for this development, but not that development" although Bungie seems far from being ran by bean counters. (It's one of the things so respectable about them is the creative vision seems to drive them most)

The only reason I mention bean counters is to illustrate that companies are different. Showcasing in some instances the exclusive timed content does in-fact allow for other asset development that might not have existed otherwise. (Although for Bungie I'm confident it's not a funding or ROI issue)

From what they have said(Bungie) wanted to entice Playstation audience since they had not been involved with them.

From known history that does sound like PR spin to me, the story behind this development house is facenating, I really hope some writes a book on it one day!

Regurdless, it's still good for gamers IMHO, because all these companies Bungie, MS, Sony etc. they are trying to outdo one another.

Keep showing off I say, keep trying to outdo one another, a company, and an industry that is pushing ill take any day. Versus an industry just trying to please everyone, and treat everyone the same.

Sometimes treating everything the same is boring and the differentiators, the variety is the spice of life IMHO.

rrc1594

Actually no. If MS owns the studio that creates the game, that makes it first party. Insomniac is an independant studio (they're still doing PS4 stuff afterall), so that means Sunset Overdrive is still Third Party, but it's a Third-Party Exclusive.

No it is not third party would be something like TitanFall. SO is first party or how some people like to say "Second" party

Funny how you neglected to mention Titanfall, where potential PS4 sales were essentially bought out just so MS could keep it as a console exclusive.

I didn't cause it's not first party

Piggus

Should look up what "praising" means. I'm not praising these kinds of business moves, I'm just not complaining about it since both sides do it. PS3 owners had to put up with a lot of it last gen. So excuse me if I'm indifferent now that Xbox only owners have to deal with it.

Pain

Banned
They're the market leader. They have a lot of influence over 3rd parties now.
Microsoft has been doing timed stuff for years. It's time they got a taste of their own medicine.

Bessy67

They're the market leader. They have a lot of influence over 3rd parties now.
Microsoft has been doing timed stuff for years. It's time they got a taste of their own medicine.
Why do people think that being a market leader gives them any influence over 3rd parties? It might make it easier for them to buy exclusive content like this, but it's ultimately still money and not market share that drives these kind of deals.

Pain

Banned
Not at all all it means is that Microsoft has control of the IP or at the very least the first title on the series. Of course publishing rights as well.
Sunset Overdrive is made by Insomianc who is not owned by Microsoft. That makes it a third party exclusive.

jayu26

Exclusive content for the best version of the game? No complaints here.
Not praising.

payback for all the MS exclusive COD content I guess
Indifference...not praising.

See this is why I like Sony. They actually form partnerships to get DLC instead of money hatting like Microsoft does.

I'm glad for it! I love the timed exclusive content. Competition like this eventually gets us all the better product in the end.
What is sarcasm?
I pretty sure that N.Domixis's post was an attempted satire.

Bessy67

So, Sunset Overdrive is a first-party title? Does MS own Insomniac? I wasn't aware of that...
Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls etc are all Sony first party titles created by third party studios. Same as Sunset Overdrive is a MS first party title created by a third party studio

Should look up what "praising" means. I'm not praising these kinds of business moves, I'm just not complaining about it since both sides do it. PS3 owners had to put up with a lot of it last gen. So excuse me if I'm indifferent now that Xbox only owners have to deal with it.

noun
the expression of approval or admiration for someone or something.
"the audience was full of praise for the whole production"
synonyms: approval, acclaim, admiration, approbation, acclamation, plaudits, congratulations, commendation, applause, flattery, adulation;

I pretty sure that N.Domixis's post was an attempted satire.

Pretty sure is not sure. I don't have a sarcasm detector at hand I'm afraid.

Well, that's certainly a long time if true.

3rd party exclusive games, content, anything really, are a shame. But I will say, it's nice to be on the side that's getting the console exclusive stuff for once... I've picked the underdog the last two gens so I'm used to being on the other side.

rrc1594

So, Sunset Overdrive is a first-party title? Does MS own Insomniac? I wasn't aware of that...

You do know that it does not need to be a first party studio, to be first party right? Not all first party games are made by in-house studios

Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls etc are all Sony first party titles created by third party studios. Same as Sunset Overdrive is a MS first party title created by a third party studio

This!

El-Suave

I expect the money Sony has to pay for co marketing this to be insane, so at least they (arguably) didn't get shafted.
This happens a lot with the really big games - the first GTA IV dlc took over a year to come to PS3 and the Fifa Ultimate Team stuff MS is paying for never comes to other platforms, as does the "exclusive PS gameplay hour" in the Assassin's Creed franchise.
It sucks for the consumer, that's no debate.

HORRORSHØW

Amazon might be exaggerating the time.

i think this might be the case, too. maybe we should all wait until actual information comes out on how this timed exclusivity works. people were surprised when ps4's early beta access was a mere 4 days sooner than the xbox's.

Katsa

Banned

I see, point taken.

Piggus

noun
the expression of approval or admiration for someone or something.
"the audience was full of praise for the whole production"
synonyms: approval, acclaim, admiration, approbation, acclamation, plaudits, congratulations, commendation, applause, flattery, adulation;

I asked you to look it up and understand what it means, not post it. But okay, thanks!

"I'm not complaining about something" does not indicate approval.

Kings fan

95% of these these platform/retailer/whatever exclusive dlc content is hardly worth even thinking about it.
Pointless stuff.

Yep.

In the grand scheme of things unless you are a diehard fan these exclusives are going to be nothing more than a marketing tool for Sony.

I probably won't even notice the difference on the PS4 version.

Glad I'm getting this, then!

White-PS4-Destiny-Bundle.jpg

jayu26

Look at what you have done HighResTomato. We have to come back to a thread just to make it clear that something we posted earlier was sarcasm. We have to put disclaimers just so everyone knows when we are making jokes. Poor form HighResTomato, poor form.

I'm just pulling you leg HighResTomato.

vdo

With some of the responses here you'd think the game was only releasing on PS4.

I don't see how this is any different from any other timed DLC. It's just longer.

The choice of which platform to buy the game on, or whether to buy it at all, rests with the consumer. If a few weapons, armour sets and missions are important to you then the choice is a lot easier.

smurfx

get some go again
did activision sign this deal with sony since microsoft was busy making deals with EA for titan fall? did microsoft even bother approaching activision for exclusives on destiny?

Top Bottom