• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

jayu26

Because it's eventually coming to Xbox One. Why would Sony completely fund the development of content that would eventually release on Xbox One?

Did Bungie ever say that this will eventually come to Xbox?

For that matter the whole premise of this thread is bad because none of this is officially confirmed.

El_Chino

Oh please if you believe Titanfall wouldn't have been made without Microsoft's "help", then i have a bridge to sell you, and please don't bring up that Geoff Keighley fluff piece.
Lol oh now it's a fluff piece, do you have evidence proving otherwise?
No they would both not be vaporware. Titanfall was coming out regardless and Insomniac could have published the games through another publisher that would have let them keep the IP. In each case (destiny dlc and xbone exclusives) money is exchanged to keep an existing product off another set of consoles.

Edit: Whatever this is OT. Let's get back to being outraged about a rumor from amazon.
From the sound of both developers it appeared both were headed no where.
I will never believe Titanfall/Respawn would have bit the dust if it wasn't for MS.
Well you may believe what you'd like.

Irrevelant or not its still true lol.

Marketing is one thing when your competition pays 50 million so you can't get content for months ( GTA 4) that is another thing all together .
We had marketing deals going on all the way back to PS1 days but last gen was start of this exclusive content bullshit .
Now it's become the norm and that not going to change .

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Folks around here constantly crying about the need for healthy competition in the industry, yet always taken aback by what that actually entails.

meanspartan

Key word HELPed.

From "Final Hours: Titanfall"

Ok, i gotta ask, why was titanfall so expensive? Obviously its no small passion project, but content wise its smaller than COD or BF.

And it was being made by the creators of COD and featured giant robots! I dont get why EA would have doubts. I think they were fishing MS to lure them into moneyhatting.

manual4

Banned
No they would both not be vaporware. Titanfall was coming out regardless and Insomniac could have published the games through another publisher that would have let them keep the IP. In each case (destiny dlc and xbone exclusives) money is exchanged to keep an existing product off another set of consoles.

Edit: Whatever this is OT. Let's get back to being outraged about a rumor from amazon.

what the hell are you talking about

Proxy

Destiny has a $500mil budget. I doubt whatever money Sony gave them was to help fund the game. It was more likely to just get the content first on their platform.

Destiny does not have a $500 million budget lol. That is what Activision is looking to invest across the entirety of the franchise.

Bessy67

Same way many of these titles also can and have ended up on other platforms.

http://www.giantbomb.com/pub-fund/3015-7606/
Isn't the pub fund more of a loan? I thought they give money to indie devs while they are making the game and then take that money back from game sales.

Did Bungie ever say that this will eventually come to Xbox?

For that matter the whole premise of this thread is bad because none of this is officially confirmed.
Why set a time frame if it isn't timed exclusive?

I mean, from a certain standpoint, if you're going to do exclusive content you may as well do it properly and get it for a year so that it actually means something and might cause a few fence sitters to fall in your garden rather than "exclusively on PlayBox OneStation 4 for 72 hours/ 2 weeks/ a month".

From another standpoint it's bloody annoying.

Isn't the pub fund more of a loan? I thought they give money to indie devs while they are making the game and then take that money back from game sales.

I am not saying Sony is using the Pub Fund for it, but something a little more higher level version of that possibly.

hawk2025

Using Insomniac's relationship with EA is an AWFUL example.

They were a terrible publisher for Fuse. They did zero marketing and sent the game out to die, completely unlike Microsoft is doing with SO.

B.O.O.M

That's a long ass time. I was thinking more along the lines of 3 months or so.

From a gamer perspective this sucks balls

From a business pov this makes perfect sense..sony really wants to attach the Playstation brand name to this franchise going forward. Given the Watch_Dogs sales one can see why

El_Chino

Ok, i gotta ask, why was titanfall so expensive? Obviously its no small passion project, but content wise its smaller than COD or BF.

And it was being made by the creators of COD and featured giant robots! I dont get why EA would have doubts. I think they were fishing MS to lure them into moneyhatting.
I do not know.

Generally speaking, don't new IPs usually start off to be quite expensive? EG: Destiny, Watch_Dogs, maybe Titanfall?

David___

Banned
If I helped fund a game, I wouldn't want somebody else making money off of my investment and I get nothing for it. Not surprised one bit MS bought the exclusivity of the first game after helping the game actually get made.

IIRC, the game was pitched from the get go as a multiplat that was timed exclusive to whoever funded the game. If that was the case then MS knew what they were getting into when they stepped in.

manual4

Banned
Microsoft funding and publishing games does not equate to money hat, that is just nonsense.Being salty should not mean you shouldn't use your common sense.

Sorral

Key word HELPed.

From "Final Hours: Titanfall"

Lol oh now it's a fluff piece, do you have evidence proving otherwise?

From the sound of both developers it appeared both were headed no where.

Well you may believe what you'd like.

Oh wow, you guys really believe that EA was going to completely can the game? Especially after all that PR and money poured into it.

Also, their money may have well been put toward the game itself, but it was timed until they made it full later as Yusef's tweet indicated.

The praise for timed exclusivity in this thread is insane. I don't really care for it but every time MS announces a deal it's "evil" and "because moneyhat". I guess Sony paid Activsion in peanuts.

manual4

Banned
Oh wow, you guys really believe that EA was going to completely can the game? Especially after all that PR and money poured into it.

Also, their money may have well been put toward the game itself, but it was timed until they made it full later as Yusef's tweet indicated.

yes, this happens in the AAA business

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

There is substantial evidence towards one point and "wow you really believe that?" on the other.

It was timed until they paid it off later, yes.

That's a long ass time. I was thinking more along the lines of 3 months or so.

From a gamer perspective this sucks balls

From a business pov this makes perfect sense..sony really wants to attach the Playstation brand name to this franchise going forward. Given the Watch_Dogs sales one can see why

Yeah, Sony wanted their own Halo, and now they sort of have it.

Well, if you're going to get a timed exclusive, you might as well make it worth it lol. As someone getting the X1 version, I'm whatevs about most of it but I AM sad I'll be missing on the Strike and MP map for so long. Thems the breaks though.

jayu26

Yes, and did they actually make it clear what in all the things that PS4 gets is timed exclusive? Did they make clear for how long? Did they make it clear if all that means is that it will show up on eventual PC release but not on Xbox? None of this is clear, so conclusion should be we don't know.
The praise for timed exclusivity in this thread is insane. I don't really care for it but every time MS announces a deal it's "evil" and "because moneyhat". I guess Sony paid Activsion in peanuts.

Show me this person who praised it.

B.O.O.M

Yeah, Sony wanted their own Halo, and now they sort of have it.

I'm sure Bungie's history is a big part of it yes but mostly it's due to them knowing this is going to be a long running big franchise for Activision. Same situation with Watch_Dogs. We will hear that name for a long time to come too.

Bessy67

Well, if you're going to get a timed exclusive, you might as well make it worth it lol. As someone getting the X1 version, I'm whatevs about most of it but I AM sad I'll be missing on the Strike and MP map for so long. Thems the breaks though.
I don't really care about the stuff they've said yet, I just care if this 1 year exclusivity deal extends to other major add on content that will be coming for the game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The comical part of this argument is that both camps are trying to argue that one platform holder is more/less guilty than the other.

Seems to me that you're both wrong. It isn't the platform holders, it is the developers/publishers who are agreeing to these deals---and I wouldn't be surprised if they were proposing them themselves in some cases.

Moneyhats don't work unless you have people willing to wear them.

I don't really care about the stuff they've said yet, I just care if this 1 year exclusivity deal extends to other major add on content that will be coming for the game.

That's a good point. Didn't even think about that.

Everybody I asked who played alpha said game was great, but if this game is a flop LMAO
I can't imagine that actually happening. Not to mention it's dropping early September with pretty much no competition for a month.

I never got a 360 until late last gen, in fact Reach was one of the first games I bought & played. One of the main reasons I bought one was because I got fed up waiting for Oblivion, CoD, Fallout, Skyrim DLC among others, some of which came around a year later just like this Destiny DLC is rumored to have.

Figured MS threw around money like most of us do but the PS3 was struggling just as much at the time so it was probably a pretty easy choice for publishers as well. I was just as angry with Sony as I was with the whole outcome.

Well guess what, Sony got their head out of it ass, has the pubs & devs in their corner (including a damn good one in Bungie) and as a PS4 only owner at the moment I don't really feel too sympathetic about this situation.

A year is a pretty long time so I agree waiting will suck, but good for Sony, they need this.

Nutter

Show me this person who praised it.

There are people in this very thread doing it.

On what? I said earlier that i hate exclusive content. I also said microsoft was mostly responsible for making it common practice last gen.

I dont think either is incorrect, but feel free to correct.

Most of MS exclusives were for a month to three months. This year long exclusive is pure bullshit.

El_Chino

The comical part of this argument is that both camps are trying to argue that one platform holder is more/less guilty than the other.

Seems to me that you're both wrong. It isn't the platform holders, it is the developers/publishers who are agreeing to these deals---and I wouldn't be surprised if they were proposing them themselves in some cases.

Moneyhats don't work unless you have people willing to wear them.
dude.gif

Honestly never thought of it that way lol

manual4

Banned
That they could have published the game through a third party publisher that let them keep the IP. I don't know how I could have been much clearer?

they could have published a game through a third party publisher that let them keep the ip. You don't know the details between the partnership insomniac shares with MS compared to the one with EA. ie creative control, business model, development time.

They can get a game published with another party, that does not mean you would get the same game.

Woo-Fu

Banned
A year is a pretty long time so I agree waiting will suck, but good for Sony, they need this.
Look on the bright side, if my experience with DLC that comes out a year after a game is released is anything to go by you'll have left the game behind and won't feel any need to spend more money on DLC.

You're saving money. :)

meanspartan

yes, this happens in the AAA business

Sure but it was such a big deal getting some of the infinity ward guys to EA, and as cool as mechs are, titanfall is hardly on the scale of Destiny or even EA's own Battlefield series.

Maybe hindsight is 20/20, but i find it hard to believe EA was ever gonna can this game.

Top Bottom