• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

Considering that Ubi games have been at the Sony conference the last few years and had exclusives and this year it was completely swapped to MS, I think it's safe to assume that Sony's marketing/exclusive deal with Ubi expired and MS snatched up a deal with them.

there's no exclusive content with AC Unity, meanwhile Far Cry 4 gets that exclusive co-op -even if friend doesn't have the game- mode on PS4.

I will say, if you're a die-hard Bungie fan, you probably already bought a PS4 or will soon. I'll have all 4 versions myself. I wonder if you'll be able to move your Guardians between consoles via Bungie.net and get the PlayStation-exclusive stuff on Xbox, heh.

I think Bungie have said they have the backend that's technically capable of this.. but I seriously doubt the console companies would allow something like that.

BokehKing

Banned
God why did you remind me of the epic failure that was Skyrim on PS3..... game was so bad I got it on my 360. I also think HBO go just recently came out on PS3 like late last year or early this year...... pretty nuts.
Remember when we first got Netflix on ps3 we had to place a disc in lol

I had to play skyrim on my 360
Fall Out DLC did not come to ps3 until like a year later

You guys on Xbox may not be getting the PlayStation dlc, but not like you're not getting any other dlc that comes with it. The worst you have to wait 30 days no different from what Microsoft does with Call of Duty

Its the next evolution of Halo in a nutshell. It's worth it no matter how long the wait

In the case of Destiny's multiplayer map, is that something we would've seen at release for both platforms if Sony didn't buy in? Was it something that was slated for DLC that got extra work put into it for Sony? Was it something that Activision cut out of the release package to dangle out to different buyers?

I think the pie in the sky optimistic way to look at this is to think that the map would not exist at all if Sony hadn't funded it, but then if that's the case why *ever* release it on the xbox?

I assume it was either a map that was rejected or a DLC map that was ready before the launch.

I wonder what's stopping MS from bankrolling some Xbox specific Destiny ads...

Sony partnership. that's like Activision making a deal with Sony to run CoD ads side by side with Xbox ones.

ILoveBish

Terrible. But you can thank Microsoft for the online paywall and things like this. They set the stage for this to be accepted and even cheered.

vypek

I doesn't think it really matters to us who are getting Destiny on XB1. 1 MP map and 1 strike mission isn't much at all.

Yeah. I dont think its a huge deal unless it was massive amounts of content. Its rare that timed dlc is even worth playing. Idk. Seems negligible to me unless its multiple maps and strikes missig.

njean777

Don't really care about this as I am getting the PS4 version anyways, but sucks for Xbox owners. I never really cared about exclusive content really as more often than not it is useless or something that isn't very important.

nbthedude

Lame, and I'm getting the PS4 version.

It's even lame for us PS4 owners. This is money Sony could have put towards something else's development--anything else's development: indie games, funding another mid-tier game etc.

Money exchanges to prevent people playing on a platform from having content are fucking stupid.

Sorral

I played the Alpha all weekend.

Mars must be hella early in the game.

I doubt that Mars is that early. Earth is 1 to 6 on Old Russia > I haven't seen 6~10 (the moon or Old Chicago?) > Venus on the map starts at lv10 (I guess ends at 15 or so) > Mercury, Mars and Jupitor's moons

I'm completely speculating beyond Venus's lv10 and source for this level is the Escapist's interview from earlier in the thread.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Or he would not buy it to try and boycott this stuff. Sadly it's pretty much foolproof as even if a game doing this would bomb, there's no way for a consumer to effectively get across the message that people didn't buy the game for x reason and instead the publisher would likely just be like fuck it, layoff everyone.

The game is pretty legit with friends. I'll enjoy the game alongside over half of the 140~ friends who were playing it on my friends list last week.

Seanspeed

Banned
lol that was just a joke.
Ah my bad man. Never know!

But the other person kind of ran with it and still tried to make out like Sony was doing something better than Microsoft in this regard.

You don't know that. I'm not saying I know that it's otherwise, but just that you are completely speculating and don't have any better clue than anyone else does.
I'm the one that's 'completely speculating'? lol

A better example would be, imagine Naughty Dog buys themselves back from Sony, makes a new IP which is multiplatform and then, decides that Xbox gets exclusive alpha, beta, content, etc. How would the Playstation fans feel then?

If MS fanboys feel this way they need to get over it and get some perspective.

You forgot to tell the part where MS wanted Bungie to continue churning out HALO games, again, and again, and again...

How cool is it to force people, who are creative people, to keep churning out the same content? A game that they obviously did not want to keep making that same game over and over.

That's not cool.

Good for Bungie, good for PS4 on the exclusive content. Bungie even helped develop/input on the DS4.

I'm glad for it! I love the timed exclusive content. Competition like this eventually gets us all the better product in the end.

Most players don't whine about insomniac.

But you see many X1 fanboys whine about Bungie. Get over it. The better version of Destiny is ratcheting up to be on PS4.

Don't like the situation then buy both consoles and get the best version of the game(s) on each console.

Otherwise it reminds me of my two year old daughter having a tantrum. Yell and complain all you want, but MS fanboys are the ones looking bad not Bungie.

Any self proclaimed MS fanboys in here? If so I don't know why your allegiance is to MS, and not to Bungie? As Bungie is the leader in this space, the heart and soul.

It's even lame for us PS4 owners. This is money Sony could have put towards something else's development--anything else's development: indie games, funding another mid-tier game etc.

Money exchanges to prevent people playing on a platform from having content are fucking stupid.

Well one company spent $400 million on a NFL deal and another spent an undisclosed amount on a co-marketing deal for one of the biggest new franchises. I am no marketing genius but I am pretty sure one of those is far more successful in getting people to buy their console.

The long term benefit of this deal is that more people buy PS4's than they may have otherwise, and in turn that leads to more games being developed on the PS4. Gotta spend money to make money.

VanWinkle

Ah my bad man. Never know!

But the other person kind of ran with it and still tried to make out like Sony was doing something better than Microsoft in this regard.

I'm the one that's 'completely speculating'? lol

If you say something as fact when you have no idea, yeah.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Making playable levels exclusive are a huge dick move. And I'm getting the PS4 version. Doesnt change the fact that Bungie are dickheads for agreeing to it.

The entire game is a dick move.
Always-on DRM for campaign is some bullshit. They're just being consistent.
Would buy for my PS4 if not for their anti-consumer fuckery, though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How does competition for timed exclusives get anybody a better product?

If it's just content like cosmetics or stuff then I'm sure it won't impact the core experience. I would rather see that than outright exclusive deals like the GTA4 episodes. This seems to be much more of an issue when we are seeing less exclusives now and just content with timed clauses.

Gta 4 dlc.

contract. they paid a shitload for GTA 4

Indeed. People seem to forget what started this ball rolling. The amount of money MS sunk into getting titles and content for the 360 (on top of being out a year earlier) was pretty crazy. When Sony started playing the same game last generation it was funny how I didn't see as many complaints as I see now.

Are those player controlled vehicles? I was under the impression there was only one— the one in the alpha.

My followup question would be: how many strikes and MP maps will the base game ship with anyway?

There was more than one ship in the alpha. You started out with one but had the ability to purchase up to 6 more. Something about the descriptions give the impressions that the higher end ships allow you to warp farther away from the earth and give you access to more missions. Just speculating on that part though.

N.Domixis

Banned
Considering that Ubi games have been at the Sony conference the last few years and had exclusives and this year it was completely swapped to MS, I think it's safe to assume that Sony's marketing/exclusive deal with Ubi expired and MS snatched up a deal with them.

I don't think its that. They can have simultaneous partnerships with competing platforms. Examples are Activison with Cod (Xb1) and Destiny(Ps4), Capcom DR3(xb1) and Deep Down(Ps4), Platinum SoulBound (xb1) and Bayoneta 2 (WiiU), EA Battlefield Hardline (ps4) and FiFa Kontent (Xbo1) and then Ubisoft Watch Dogs and Farcry 4 (ps4) and The Division (Xb1)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I wonder how long Destiny is supposed to continue to get new content for

Activision made comments that there would be several sequels I think but it's the type of game you could sell for a long time I would think

Also exclusive content like this is dumb and I hate it

I swear if Activision fuck up the releases and drench the market I'll... I'll... haven't worked it out yet but I will be mad.

I think we all hate it. those funds should be appropriated elsewhere for things such as first party game development, platform software development and network infrastructure.

Lol at the Sony is better than MS with these deals crap. Amazing…

yup, MS takes the cakes when discussing wasted funds that should be spent on first party. I'll give them that.

ethomaz

Banned
At least one year? Seems a bit long.

Well... at least it won't affect most gamers because they will buy the PS4 version.

PS. I played the Alpha and the game is absolutely amazing.

I swear if Activision fuck up the releases and drench the market I'll... I'll... haven't worked it out yet but I will be mad.

they can't really "fuck up" the releases with this one, people will constantly be hungry for new content. Bungie has already claimed that every day there will be something new in the game.

MS did this whole last gen and now it's Sony turn ,you know the saying what goes around comes around .
Either way this stuff never bother me really .

How does competition for timed exclusives get anybody a better product?

Because many times the platform holder will pay for the development of the extra content.

Content that might otherwise not be developed due to the extra expense.

Sure it's timed, but eventually even X1 owners will enjoy the content. So that's how.

Regulardless, as I said x1 fanboys (and Sony fanboys any fanboy) should stop whining, just play the game.

Well...at least it's not GTAIV dlc. THAT was an unbearable wait. The cruicible map will likely be anything between shit and meh, the armor will be cosmetically weak and statistically useless, and the strike...well the strike will be fun but who gives a shit, it's one strike.

This could be worse.

Hoje0308

Banned
As someone who is buying the PS4 version, I think this is bullshit. I don't enjoy the game more knowing that others are missing out and I know it's only a matter of time before the shoe is on the other foot.

they can't really "fuck up" the releases with this one, people will constantly be hungry for new content. Bungie has already claimed that every day there will be something new in the game.

I don't think they actually mean they will add something new every day.. but that they've layered the content in such a manner that it's likely that everyday the player will experience something new.

I mean.. actual new content every single day would be an insane content turnaround.

hawk2025

Both did it last gen and both are doing it now.

I swear there are some serious blinders going on here.

I'll say again: There's no reason to whitewash and create a false equivalency here.

Knowing the history matters. Saying "both did, it's all the same" is a simplification that doesn't do us any good.

The fact of the matter is that, to stay competitive in a market where your competitor is buying exclusive time for the biggest franchises in the industry (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, GTA, Call of Duty) they absolutely HAD to do the same. There is no way around it.

It's bullshit, it's a bad practice, and it likely doesn't benefit anyone in the long run. But I'm not about to pretend that everything is equal.

Because many times the platform holder will pay for the development of the extra content.

Content that might otherwise not be developed due to the extra expense.

Sure it's timed, but eventually even X1 owners will enjoy the content. So that's how.

Regulardless, as I said x1 fanboys (and Sony fanboys any fanboy) should stop whining, just play the game.

10494469_1471966303047614_7923885269152054512_o.jpg

Proxy

Getting the exclusive marketing deal for Destiny was one of the smartest moves Sony made for their platform. Destiny is going to be massive and it will help push hardware for Sony. Greater adoption means better support for the PS4 which benefits not only Sony but PS4 owners as well.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I'll say again: There's no reason to whitewash and create a false equivalency here.

Knowing the history matters. Saying "both did, it's all the same" is a simplification that doesn't do us any good.

The fact of the matter is that, to stay competitive in a market where your competitor is buying exclusive time for the biggest franchises in the industry (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, GTA, Call of Duty) they absolutely HAD to do the same. There is no way around
Im pretty sure Sony and Assasins Creed happened before those but maybe im wrong…

Jomjom

Banned
Smart move just as it was a smart move by MS to lock down TF for a year initially. Wouldnt be surprised if this was just eventually made permanently exclusive just like TF. Although that was a full game and this is just some throwaway content.

Madness

I will say, if you're a die-hard Bungie fan, you probably already bought a PS4 or will soon. I'll have all 4 versions myself. I wonder if you'll be able to move your Guardians between consoles via Bungie.net and get the PlayStation-exclusive stuff on Xbox, heh.

Yeah, I hate the latter, but at least this is better than console exclusive.

Why? Most of us die-hard Bungie fans are also Halo fans as well and have to take it into account. All I really play these days is the odd multiplatform, blockbuster or Halo. I was worried about Halo for a bit, but no way in hell am I missing out on the MCC.

Now of course the best version of Destiny is one PS4, but if I can't support both consoles and I'm also a Halo fan, the logical step would be Xbox One. How can any Bungie or Halo fan also not be excited to play Halo CE/2/3 in 1080p/60FPS on dedicated servers. I can't wait to see what Halo 3 looks like with the res boost, and how dedicated servers and 60 fps affect the netcode and movement.

This year will be interesting, will really tell if most of us are Bungie fans, Halo fans, or both.

If MS fanboys feel this way they need to get over it and get some perspective.

You forgot to tell the part where MS wanted Bungie to continue churning out HALO games, again, and again, and again...

How cool is it to force people, who are creative people, to keep churning out the same content? A game that they obviously did not want to keep making that same game over and over.

That's not cool.

Good for Bungie, good for PS4 on the exclusive content. Bungie even helped develop/input on the DS4.

I'm glad for it! I love the timed exclusive content. Competition like this eventually gets us all the better product in the end.

Most players don't whine about insomniac.

But you see many X1 fanboys whine about Bungie. Get over it. The better version of Destiny is ratcheting up to be on PS4.

Don't like the situation then buy both consoles and get the best version of the game(s) on each console.

Otherwise it reminds me of my two year old daughter having a tantrum. Yell and complain all you want, but MS fanboys are the ones looking bad not Bungie.

Any self proclaimed MS fanboys in here? If so I don't know why your allegiance is to MS, and not to Bungie? As Bungie is the leader in this space, the heart and soul.

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha

Sorral

Are those player controlled vehicles? I was under the impression there was only one— the one in the alpha.

My followup question would be: how many strikes and MP maps will the base game ship with anyway?

The alpha had like 3-4 buy-able vehicles from the ships/sparrows' NPC. We couldn't control them, but they are what took you between planets and what showed up to others in Orbit if you're in a fire team and/or heading off to MP. A show off piece (aside from the written lore on them) as far as I can tell right now.

I think it is at least 1 strike per area. Old Russia had one in the alpha and the Venus map shows two.

I don't know about how many MP maps there are though.

ohlawd

long ass time. the shit Activision pulls with CoD DLC for a month, strangely enough, I'm OK with that >_> I mean, it's a month. S'all good. A year is 12 months, jesus that's a seriously long ass time.

should be enough time for the game to hit $20 through sales. I'll probably pick it up then.

Top Bottom