• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

USC-fan

Banned
What is so bizarre about a console manufacturer paying a publisher to get some extra content made exclusively for that platform (particularly if it's going to be exclusive for that long)? I mean, who knows, maybe they did just choose some already-existing content to be exclusive, but I don't find it that crazy a situation personally.

That is the way i see it happening. It cannot be core to the game since not all version will get it day one. It has to be extra stuff...

Vire

Think? Even now it's true. If they add expansion timed exclusivity it just expands it.
The unfortunate thing is that the exclusives will probably extend past Destiny 1.

Old twitter post:

tumblr_mo7m4cftuk1s63ovdo1_1280.png

SnakeEyes

Banned
Regarding the topic at hand, I don't think there is much to be done. That is unless we do a targeted twitter campaign aimed at both MS and Sony to get them to stop this practice.
Wouldn't do shit, because the whole reason that this "Exclusive DLC" is even a thing is because of retailers. If you want to target the source of it all, target GameStop/Best Buy/Walmart/Target etc.!

It's going to be accessible from practically the minute you boot the game the same way PS players will probably just find the armor and ships in their inventory.

Again: non-essential content. This is part of how they sell you on the PS ports of the game. These are your prizes for favoring Sony. They're not going to have you buy the game and then wall off the bonuses from you for hours. This stuff doesn't work like that and never does.

I'm guessing you didn't get a chance to play the game. Strikes are like dungeons in RPGs. They have level requirements. The level requirements for Strikes are determined by the level requirements for the areas around the Strikes. Destiny starts the Players on Earth. This exclusive Strike takes place on Mars. We have no idea where, level wise, Mars will sit but it would make absolutely no sense at all for a single Strike in a non beginner zone to be a beginner level Strike.

It could be that Mars is relatively early in Progression or it could be late in progression. But it's not going to be a beginner area.

Absinthe

Its the same thing Microsoft has done with Call of Duty for a long time, except way worse.

Love the spin to keep Sony being the good guys, though. lol

For me its not a spin just reality. Businesses want to make money and will pay to do so, that's just life. Expecting anything different is asinine.

I am surprised its so long though. I figured it would be for 6 months at the most.

hawk2025

This is a shit practice, an awful one.

But it's absolutely impossible to stay competitive in the market once the competitor started it. And you know what? If the market weakens for the PS4 against the Xbox One and the parity clause for indies doesn't go away, the exact same thing will happen over there: They will emulate the other to become competitive again, and establish a parity clause.

It's why we have to cut the bullshit at the start. It's too damn late for exclusive DLC, but there can still make a difference for other things.

USC-fan

Banned
I wonder how much Sony spent for a year of this exclusive content? The content isn't really all that much, but for a full year seems odd.

It is likely just a marketing deal. Sony is putting out a destiny PS4 bundle and marketing the game hard on PS4. Just like xbone and titanfall. But MS likely paid a lot more to get it off ps3/4 completely.

Microsoft started this bullshit console exclusive crap, Sony just decided to play Microsoft's dirty game, its also pretty easy to do for them, cause they are spanking your competition.

Seanspeed

Banned
Think? Even now it's true. If they add expansion timed exclusivity it just expands it.
Well yea, I suppose so. This doesn't sound like its going to be just little tiny DLC exclusive stuff, but full DLC expansions and whatnot.

I never really had a problem with like '2 week' exclusivity for DLC or something. I mean, I'm not that impatient that I'm gonna choose a certain platform just cuz I cant wait a couple weeks. This hurts, though. People super hyped about this game but only have an XboxOne will likely be pretty bummed.

Oh well.

Squire

Banned
I'm guessing you didn't get a chance to play the game. Strikes are like dungeons in RPGs. They have level requirements. The level requirements for Strikes are determined by the level requirements for the areas around the Strikes. Destiny starts the Players on Earth. This exclusive Strike takes place on Mars. We have no idea where, level wise, Mars will sit but it would make absolutely no sense at all for a single Strike in a non beginner zone to be a beginner level Strike.

It could be that Mars is relatively early in Progression or it could be late in progression. But it's not going to be a beginner area.

I played the Alpha all weekend.

Mars must be hella early in the game.

SOLIDDDD

Banned
Not a big deal to me, will still get it on the Xbox One. The exclusive content on stuff like this is usually minor crap that doesn't make a difference in the long run.

Seanspeed

Banned
For me its not a spin just reality. Businesses want to make money and will pay to do so, that's just life. Expecting anything different is asinine.

I am surprised its so long though. I figured it would be for 6 months at the most.
The spin is trying to act like Sony is better than Microsoft in this regard.

It doesn't sound like I'm the one living in denial when I'm suggesting that there may be more than one reason a piece of content is exclusive.
Its possible. Its just fairly unprecedented and you're just trying to reach for absolutely any position possible that stops you from having to admit that this is a plain old moneyhat.

Daria

Good thing I was plan on getting it for PS4 anyway. But man, Sony is gonna win in the numbers come Q32014/Q12015.

I don't understand what timed-exclusive content proves. All it does is annoy people who want to buy your game on a different console.

Microsoft started this bullshit console exclusive crap, Sony just decided to play Microsoft's dirty game, its also pretty easy to do for them, cause they are spanking your competition.

Wow!

Hatchtag

Banned
Good thing I was plan on getting it for PS4 anyway. But man, Sony is gonna win in the numbers come Q32014/Q12015.

I'll be the oddman out and bet against Sony for Q3/4 2014. I don't think they have the exclusives for this season, and I think that's why they're money hatting exclusive content so hard, because they're in a bit of a panicy situation.

Kelsey

Banned
I highly highly doubt this was up to Bungie. They are being published by Activision if you recall.

Published by Activision, but I have to think Bungie has some say in the content that gets made exclusive. If I was a dev, I wouldnt want to keep something as important as levels exclusive from a huge swath of my player base. Such an ugly practice that MS takes part in too.

hawk2025

They are.

Reacting to anti-competitive measures is not as bad as starting them. There's no reason to whitewash everything as "just as bad".

Unless there's actual evidence that Sony started this (it may very well be the case), then I will flip it around.

Bessy67

The more I think about it this is honestly making me hesitant to even buy the game. If I have to wait an extra year to get DLC/expansions just because the console I bought didn't throw heaps of cash at the publisher I think I'm out. Or at least I'll wait for it to be in the bargain bin.

Zornack

I don't understand what timed-exclusive content proves. All it does is annoy people who want to buy your game on a different console.

Really? This practice has been going on for years. It has to be making a considerably difference otherwise it would have died out by now.

VanWinkle

Its possible. Its just fairly unprecedented and you're just trying to reach for absolutely any position possible that stops you from having to admit that this is a plain old moneyhat.

I'm saying that money was involved, though. I'm not acting like Sony politely asked them to make more content for them, or that Bungie, out of the goodness of their hearts, wanted to make a bunch of content only for PS.

And, yeah, it would be a little unprecedented, but you know what else is unprecedented? Timed exclusive content being exclusive for over a year.

Exclusive for the duration people will care about the game. The entire game may as well be PS4 exclusive at this point.

PS3 and Xbox 360 versions will be garbage.

Xbox One crowd will be busy with Halo: Master Chief Collection a couple months after Destiny releases.

PS4 gets all the exclusive stuff long enough for it to not matter when it does go to other platforms.

BokehKing

Banned
Calling it now the Expansion will drop on PS4 first and be exclusive for a long time also. I really hate exclusive content when a game is multiplat.Timed is just a kick in the teeth.
Sony players got kicked in the teeth all last Gen by this, let's see

Microsoft got Netflix first
Fall out 3 dlc
CoD Dlc
Preference in fixes for Skyrim
I'm sure there is more
HBO Go I'm pretty sure Microsoft got first
Minecraft

Let us eat for a change

Really? This practice has been going on for years. It has to be making a considerably difference otherwise it would have died out by now.

So because it has been going on for years, that makes it ok?

If you're buying a specific console or console version of a game because it has an extra "timed" mission, that's a bit silly. If it's the console you wanted in the first place, then it's a win-win.

viveks86

Not a big deal to me, will still get it on the Xbox One. The exclusive content on stuff like this is usually minor crap that doesn't make a difference in the long run.

But but but… Shouldn't you be furious that you don't get to play some free bonus DLC? I mean, your lifeblood has been taken away from you. Such unfair practices that are ruining the industry! Et Cetera!

Zornack

So because it has been going on for years, that makes it ok?

If you're buying a specific console or console version of a game because it has an extra "timed" mission, that's a bit silly. If it's the console you wanted in the first place, then it's a win-win.

No, it's shitty, but you were acting like it didn't make sense from a business perspective.

Every Destiny add is a PS4 add. Every Destiny add tells you that if you wan't the full game, get it on PS4. The majority of people who are going to be seeing those adds will not have a PS4 or XB1, these systems are still extremely young, so the idea that people will already have their mind made up on which version to get is not true.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Just to be clear it's:

3 Different Armor Sets
3 New Ships
2 New Weapons

Are those player controlled vehicles? I was under the impression there was only one— the one in the alpha.

My followup question would be: how many strikes and MP maps will the base game ship with anyway?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Surprisingly the new Assassin's Creed has no exclusives for either platform.

I guess AC is old hat now and not worth dropping the dough on.

And in its stead the Division is getting timed XB1 content. Ubisoft is annoyingly all over the board with this stuff, lol.

Top Bottom