• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

Vire

Amusing that when you type in just "Destiny" into the search field for amazon, the only thing that comes up is the PS4 version and the White console bundle.

#itsaconspiracy

Bsigg12

Calling it now the Expansion will drop on PS4 first and be exclusive for a long time also. I really hate exclusive content when a game is multiplat.Timed is just a kick in the teeth.

At best, a month. It's the way they (Activision) handle map packs for CoD. I can't see significant content additions being withheld from the rest of the player base for too long.

Proxy

Sony really made a smart decision in securing exclusive marketing for Destiny. Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar split for the game like we saw with WD in NA/UK.

Gorillaz

I have a feeling they will extend it. They obviously saw the wonders it did for Xbox and CoD having that deal, they won't waste this deal.

Madness

I... really don't see Destiny as a direct competitor of Halo/CoD/BF/TF.. The real draw of the game is the Co-Op PvE stuff while the other games are all Competitive MP draw primarily. There will, of course, be overlap but I don't think it's really going to be that direct of an effect.

Now when The Division comes out.. that's going to be a lot more of a direct competitor to Destiny due to the RPG heavy elements.

Oh yeah, and their marketing announcing "from the creators of Halo and Call of Duty" is just to get those co-op, mmo, Rpg fans right?

Almost every time they mentioned Destiny, they always said, if you liked our shooters in the past, you'll like this one and can expect that same Bungie quality. There is no way they weren't thinking of the Call of Duty and Halo crowd when making this game. They need that crowd to be a success. Especially with the numbers/sales they have in mind.

Seanspeed

Banned
Maybe so, difference is, Microsoft would get the entire game exclusivity and make it so noone else could play it. This is far better IMO.
Its the same thing Microsoft has done with Call of Duty for a long time, except way worse.

Love the spin to keep Sony being the good guys, though. lol

I actually didn't realize Strikes worked like that, but regardless, I'm sure it's no big loss. As noted by other posters above, this exclusive stuff is almost always worthless and completely non-essential. Especially in a loot game. This stuff will be good for an hour, three tops.

Pre-order/exclusive DLC isn't worth getting upset over. If you really need it - if it's truly essential to the experience - it'll be in every version of the game on day one. That goes for every game.
An exclusive multiplayer map for a year is a bit much though don't you think? Thats a lot more than an iconic cap, or even the "60 minutes of exclusive gameplay" crap. Maps are the life blood of a competitive game.

1 year? That's insane. I doubt it TBH. I would take it with a grain of salt since it's from Amazon. 3-6 months DLC exclusivity is not unexpected, but a year? I doubt it.

GTA4 episodes. now that was a waste of funds, it should have been spent on first party games. as a 360 owner I'm still bitter about that bonehead move.

I actually didn't realize Strikes worked like that, but regardless, I'm sure it's no big loss. As noted by other posters above, this exclusive stuff is almost always worthless and completely non-essential. Especially in a loot game. This stuff will be good for an hour, three tops.

Pre-order/exclusive DLC isn't worth getting upset over. If you really need it - if it's truly essential to the experience - it'll be in every version of the game on day one. That goes for every game.

It actually depends on where, progression wise, the Strike is located in the game itself. If it's an early to mid-game Strike.. it probably won't be played too much by the community and there will be other content with better rewards after it. However if it's late-game or if it offers unique loot... it will get played much more than "an hour, three tops."

Vire

An exclusive multiplayer map for a year is a bit much though don't you think? Thats a lot more than an iconic cap, or even the "60 minutes of exclusive gameplay" crap. Maps are the life blood of a competitive game.

What if the map is just a shit spiritual successor to Backwash.

No harm no foul right?

Gryph

I hope that this trend of Pre-order/exclusive DLC as bait for purchases stops...

It's just frustrating to see parts of a game used as carrots to try and sway buyers.

Squire

Banned

That's true, yes. As noted in previous threads, the MP community at large will potentially reject that map for that exact reason.

It actually depends on where, progression wise, the Strike is located in the game itself. If it's an early to mid-game Strike.. it probably won't be played too much by the community and there will be other content with better rewards after it. However if it's late-game or if it offers unique loot... it will get played much more than "an hour, three tops."

It's going to be accessible from practically the minute you boot the game the same way PS players will probably just find the armor and ships in their inventory.

Again: non-essential content. This is part of how they sell you on the PS ports of the game. These are your prizes for favoring Sony. They're not going to have you buy the game and then wall off the bonuses from you for hours. This stuff doesn't work like that and never does.

I hoped i dont get banned for asking this, but given Bungie's history with MS, why didnt MS buy exclusive rights to Destiny before Sony did or outbid Sony?

jayu26

Considering how content-light Titanfall was at release, how much could we have expected from Respawn if they had another two platforms to support?

You must ask yourself that ;p

Wait are we taking about content or performance and visuals?

Depends. If Destiny was PS4 only, or even PS3/PS4 only I bet we'd see a very different game in terms of performance and visuals, even if only from the developer focus on fewer platforms to support, and not from the PS4's specific power advantages.

Ahh...who fucking cares. It's Destiny time bitches.

Regarding the topic at hand, I don't think there is much to be done. That is unless we do a targeted twitter campaign aimed at both MS and Sony to get them to stop this practice.

VanWinkle

don't really get that though, considering the game would likely not be made if ms didnt fund the game and allowed insomniac to keep the ip

Well, yeah, but it doesn't make it sting any less, and for all we know, this Destiny content could have been made after the deal took place, meaning maybe it wouldn't exist if this deal didn't, so could be the same situation.

Seanspeed

Banned
I hope that this trend of Pre-order/exclusive DLC as bait for purchases stops...

It's just frustrating to see parts of a game used as carrots to try and sway buyers.
They'll stop doing it when it stops working.

Well, yeah, but it doesn't make it sting any less, and for all we know, this Destiny content could have been made after the deal took place, meaning maybe it wouldn't exist if this deal didn't, so could be the same situation.
Sony is not funding Destiny DLC man, c'mon.

Katsa

Banned
Never really liked "timed exclusives" (like Call of Duty on Xbox), but I guess it is what it is in the video game industry. I'm gonna get it for the PS4...but it's a bummer for XBO players.

DrkSage

well thats... unexpected. I tought it was going to be the half of that. I wonder how the Xbone guys at reddit are taking this news.

Bessy67

Judging from MS's and Sony's E3 conferences the practice isn't going anywhere. The days of the 3rd party exclusive are all but over. 3rd party exclusive DLC is the new 3rd party exclusive.

RoKKeR

I hoped i dont get banned for asking this, but given Bungie's history with MS, why didnt MS buy exclusive rights to Destiny before Sony did or outbid Sony?

NBAJam-bish.gif
(Kidding, obviously)

Who knows if MS even made an offer. Besides, they were just coming off a somewhat tumultuous (though successful) partnership and Bungie was probably looking for a change.

N.Domixis

Banned

There were some leaked documents that said it would make its console debut on xbox one. But since it leaked, I think ms knew they couldn't lie and say its exclusive and most likely dropped the deal. Then later sony came over to Vision and Bungie and made this deal.

fedexpeon

Banned
Amusing that when you type in just "Destiny" into the search field for amazon, the only thing that comes up is the PS4 version and the White console bundle.

#itsaconspiracy

Oh wtf...I thought you were joking.

5th page: Survivor by Destiny's Child (May 1, 2001)
Still haven't see Destiny-X1 yet.

Xbox has call of duty which sells well while playstation will have destiny which will no doubt sell just as good, if not better. It is a win-win situation for activition. $$$$$

It's gotta be clear to everyone now that to get the full Destiny experience you're going to buy the PS4 version as I don't see these exclusivity things ending; even extending perhaps into future expansion timing.

Vire

I don't think that's anything bann worthy to say, the reality is Activision most likely wants the extra ammunition to sway Playstation owners to be excited about a Bungie game.

Xbox fans already know how great Bungie is and will buy it anyway.

See this is why I like Sony. They actually form partnerships to get DLC instead of money hatting like Microsoft does.
This post is just....lol wut
Destiny's Multiplayer is definitely competitive enough to surpass any of those games. Hell, even pro Halo players are jumping on the Destiny Multiplayer Hype Train.

Haven't really heard any good impressions about Destiny PvP from people I've played Halo with over the years. Heard good things about the other modes the game offers, but reactions from those people to PvP have been "meh" at best.

They said it was a big priority to go multiplatform.

Gorillaz

Xbox has call of duty which sells well while playstation will have destiny which will no doubt sell just as good, if not better. It is a win-win situation for activition. $$$$$

it's actually crazy how well Activision has 2 mega deals with MS/Sony. They are going to eat go on both series for awhile.

No wonder they are overlapping EA

Bessy67

Oh wtf...I thought you were joking.

5th page: Survivor by Destiny's Child (May 1, 2001)
Still haven't see Destiny-X1 yet.
Pretty sure that's just how Amazon lists multiplats. They show one version of the game and once you click on it you can choose which version you want.

Hatchtag

Banned
Meh. To be fair, it will cost $60 on PS4, and if you abused a rigged promotion today, it's fuckin' free on Xbox One.

Still, a year is a bit long. Hoping GTA V's "special treat for Playstation fans" isn't as long of an exclusive.

Madness

Not as bad as Insomniac PS fans not even getting Sunset Overdrive period, haha.

Apples to oranges. Destiny was an Xbox lead platform shooter from a former Microsoft studio, that made exclusive Xbox games for the past decade. Then, all of a sudden, they are on another platform, catering to fans who probably haven't even heard of their forums. Whereas many of us Halo/Bungie fans have been with them since 2001, even earlier.

Microsoft funded Insomniac's game from the start. They promised them they could keep their own IP, something Sony didn't, and in return published the game as an exclusive from the start.

I agree Insomniac Playstation fans should be upset, but without MS, the game wouldn't be made. Whereas, within a period of a year or two, Destiny has gone from Xbox lead platform, to almost year long timed exclusives for Sony.

A better example would be, imagine Naughty Dog buys themselves back from Sony, makes a new IP which is multiplatform and then, decides that Xbox gets exclusive alpha, beta, content, etc. How would the Playstation fans feel then?

I no longer have a real horse in this race. I'm a huge Bungie fan, will buy this game, already have it pre-ordered. But I'm also a Halo fan. I joined GAF for the Halo community here. So I'll be forced to go Xbox One, especially with the Master Chief Collection. This November, I'll be playing either Destiny, or games Bungie made ten+ years ago Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3. It sucks to lose out on content. I had a ten year bungie.net account that I've lost, and now only have an 8 year bungie account.

Oh yeah, and their marketing announcing "from the creators of Halo and Call of Duty" is just to get those co-op, mmo, Rpg fans right?

Almost every time they mentioned Destiny, they always said, if you liked our shooters in the past, you'll like this one and can expect that same Bungie quality. There is no way they weren't thinking of the Call of Duty and Halo crowd when making this game. They need that crowd to be a success. Especially with the numbers/sales they have in mind.

You're thinking short game when Destiny is a long haul prospect. That 500 million investment isn't in hopes of one installment making all that money back. The advertising is meant to get their foot in the door but the game's content is what's going to keep people playing and purchasing expansions, sequels, and possibly DLC.

If Bungie's aim was to directly compete with CoD/Halo and all the others.. they wouldn't have made a game whose design is so heavily Co-op RPG focused. Bungie and Activision aren't stupid. They only get once chance for a first buy and if the goal was to steal Competitive MP players from other games, you don't do that with the bulk of the game content having absolutely nothing to do with Competitive MP.

They're confident that players will love the PvE if they try it but they're advertising to the strength of their reputations to get to that point. They've barely shown any of the Competitive MP and that's because they're not depending on it to hook players.

VanWinkle

Sony is not funding Destiny DLC man, c'mon.

What is so bizarre about a console manufacturer paying a publisher to get some extra content made exclusively for that platform (particularly if it's going to be exclusive for that long)? I mean, who knows, maybe they did just choose some already-existing content to be exclusive, but I don't find it that crazy a situation personally.

Apples to oranges. Destiny was an Xbox lead platform shooter from a former Microsoft studio, that made exclusive Xbox games for the past decade. Then, all of a sudden, they are on another platform, catering to fans who probably haven't even heard of their forums. Whereas many of us Halo/Bungie fans have been with them since 2001, even earlier.

Microsoft funded Insomniac's game from the start. They promised them they could keep their own IP, something Sony didn't, and in return published the game as an exclusive from the start.

I agree Insomniac Playstation fans should be upset, but without MS, the game wouldn't be made. Whereas, within a period of a year or two, Destiny has gone from Xbox lead platform, to almost year long timed exclusives for Sony.

A better example would be, imagine Naughty Dog buys themselves back from Sony, makes a new IP which is multiplatform and then, decides that Xbox gets exclusive alpha, beta, content, etc. How would the Playstation fans feel then?

I no longer have a real horse in this race. I'm a huge Bungie fan, will buy this game, already have it pre-ordered. But I'm also a Halo fan. I joined GAF for the Halo community here. So I'll be forced to go Xbox One, especially with the Master Chief Collection. This November, I'll be playing either Destiny, or games Bungie made ten+ years ago Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3. It sucks to lose out on content. I had a ten year bungie.net account that I've lost, and now only have an 8 year bungie account.

Destiny being an Xbox lead platform was not news or an announcement of any sort. It just happened to internally be leading on that platform awhile back. Insomniac could have done concept work on Sunset Overdrive on a PS3, too; who knows. About Bungie fans being on Xbox since 2001, Insomnac fans have been on PS since way before that, so there's an even longer established Insomniac fanbase there.

And honestly it doesn't matter WHY the game or content is on the other platform to the fan of the company; Insomniac fans potentially not being able to play Sunset Overdrive is worse than Bungie fans potentially not being able to play a relatively small bit of Destiny but still being able to play the game.

hawk2025

#itsaconspiracy

That's actually because it's selling much, much better there.

Seanspeed

Banned
What is so bizarre about a console manufacturer paying a publisher to get some extra content made exclusively for that platform (particularly if it's going to be exclusive for that long)? I mean, who knows, maybe they did just choose some already-existing content to be exclusive, but I don't find it that crazy a situation personally.
You're living in denial man.

Top Bottom