• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny PS4 Timed Exclusives will last until "At least Fall 2015"

Well they are getting their money worth out of this....

I like this better that time exclusives DLC. Never understood that making people wait 2 weeks is really going to get people to buy that version of the game.

At least the wait is only weeks and not a year

OsirisBlack

Banned
Calling it now the Expansion will drop on PS4 first and be exclusive for a long time also. I really hate exclusive content when a game is multiplat.Timed is just a kick in the teeth.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
That seems odd, wouldn't the expansion be released by then? Who would give a shit about some exclusive DLC by then.
That's probably the reason the deal expires at that point. It wouldn't surprise me if the expansion pack also include some PS exclusive content as well.

Vire

Holy shit, that long just for weapons skins and a map?

Just to be clear it's:

1 Strike (Each strike can last 40 minutes or so and is meant to be highly repayable on different difficulties for new loot)
Dust Palace Strike: An exclusive three-player cooperative Strike that can be played with friends or match made. You’ll track a Cabal extraction team through the husks of an ancient human skyscraper, the Dust Palace, buried in the shifting dunes of Mars and face a new enemy, the Psion Flayers.

1 Multiplayer Map
Exodus Blue Competitive Multiplayer Map: A mid-sized Crucible arena that pairs perfectly with Control and Skirmish game modes. The Exodus Blue, a long-dead vessel, once brought hope and humanity to worlds beyond Earth. Here, Guardians challenge one another, forging a new hope and future in the fires of the Crucible.
3 Different Armor Sets
3 New Ships
2 New Weapons

It's really the map and strike that is the bummer part.

I don't like exclusive content, but it's hard to get mad at Sony for this. This was Microsoft's MO all last gen. Sony is just playing the game better now, that's all.

Courage

But is that the best course for Bungie? Many Halo fans are Bungie fans. Fans discuss still discuss Halo at length on Bungie.net, and many Halo fans will be getting Xbox One's for the Master Chief Collection, the last thing they need is to alienate long time Bungie, Xbox fans.

To make Destiny a hit, they need it to be success on all the platforms. That's the only way they can challenge leaders like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and the only way they can prevent exclusives from taking their fans away.

This holiday is really funny. You're going to have a Bungie/Activision game (Destiny), go up against former Bungie games of the past decade (halo CE, 2, 3 - part of the MCC) and also up against Activision with Call of Duty.

Sony probably does win out in this. Aside from killzone, they don't really have a shooter that it's strictly their own or has shooter fans buying their consoles for one and Destiny seems like it could be it for them.

I'm sure the game will still be a huge success on both consoles; there's way too much on stake for it not to be (500mil to be exact). It's somewhat analogous to COD's situation with the MS partnership, and it's still successful on Sony's consoles.

RoKKeR

Should we have two threads? One for glorious PS4 players and the other for second class gaming citizens?

This stuff is so dumb, and it'll only get worse.

We already have the PS4 Destiny GAF thread, so, close enough.

EDIT: Just remembered the map was exclusive. Alright, now that's some real bullshit. Don't care too much about the equipment but come on now, don't lock out meaningful portions of the game like that. Ugh, fuck this practice.

clem84

Gold Member
1 year? That's insane. I doubt it TBH. I would take it with a grain of salt since it's from Amazon. 3-6 months DLC exclusivity is not unexpected, but a year? I doubt it.

I have a hard time giving a shit. Xbox does the same crap.

It's pretty stupid.

Played the Alpha and won't be switching platforms, played like a dream on my PS4.

Kelsey

Banned
Making playable levels exclusive are a huge dick move. And I'm getting the PS4 version. Doesnt change the fact that Bungie are dickheads for agreeing to it.

antitrop

95% of these these platform/retailer/whatever exclusive dlc content is hardly worth even thinking about it.
Pointless stuff.

This is absolutely true. All that Watch_Dogs SKU madness was hilarious to me, because who gives a shit about all that worthless crap, anyway?

Whoooooooooo, iconic hat skin! Get fucked.

Absinthe

Crazy isn't it? I wonder how much Sony shelled out to make that happen. Holding off those things for a year from other console(s) cannot make that much of a difference in sales that it's worth buying it out.

Also getting PS4 version, but still think it's nuts. Unconfirmed though

I'm guessing the exclusive bundle with the white PS4 was enough for Bungie to agree. That alone will net them a number of sales

As for the exclusivity of the content, it's only a few skins and a map. I'm surprised people are this upset.

Partnerships formed by money…

Maybe so, difference is, Microsoft would get the entire game exclusivity and make it so noone else could play it. This is far better IMO.

Vire

Making playable levels exclusive are a huge dick move. And I'm getting the PS4 version. Doesnt change the fact that Bungie are dickheads for agreeing to it.

I highly highly doubt this was up to Bungie. They are being published by Activision if you recall.

But is that the best course for Bungie? Many Halo fans are Bungie fans. Fans discuss still discuss Halo at length on Bungie.net, and many Halo fans will be getting Xbox One's for the Master Chief Collection, the last thing they need is to alienate long time Bungie, Xbox fans.

To make Destiny a hit, they need it to be success on all the platforms. That's the only way they can challenge leaders like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and the only way they can prevent exclusives from taking their fans away.

This holiday is really funny. You're going to have a Bungie/Activision game (Destiny), go up against former Bungie games of the past decade (halo CE, 2, 3 - part of the MCC) and also up against Activision with Call of Duty.

Sony probably does win out in this. Aside from killzone, they don't really have a shooter that it's strictly their own or has shooter fans buying their consoles for one and Destiny seems like it could be it for them.

I... really don't see Destiny as a direct competitor of Halo/CoD/BF/TF.. The real draw of the game is the Co-Op PvE stuff while the other games are all Competitive MP draw primarily. There will, of course, be overlap but I don't think it's really going to be that direct of an effect.

Now when The Division comes out.. that's going to be a lot more of a direct competitor to Destiny due to the RPG heavy elements.

Not a fan of exclusive stuff but hey, it's better than the game being exclusive.
Depends. If Destiny was PS4 only, or even PS3/PS4 only I bet we'd see a very different game in terms of performance and visuals, even if only from the developer focus on fewer platforms to support, and not from the PS4's specific power advantages.

RoKKeR

Nah, I'm sure it was formed just by nice words and handshakes.

This is the more probable explanation.

handshake.jpg

See, handshakes!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Buy it on PS4, problem solved! And it may look and play better to boot.

theytookourjobz

I... really don't see Destiny as a direct competitor of Halo/CoD/BF/TF.. The real draw of the game is the Co-Op PvE stuff while the other games are all Competitive MP draw primarily. There will, of course, be overlap but I don't think it's really going to be that direct of an effect.

Now when The Division comes out.. that's going to be a lot more of a direct competitor to Destiny due to the RPG heavy elements.

There's no way they don't go after that audience. They're not spending $500 million on RPG fans. This is definitely going to be sold as a shooter.

jayu26

Depends. If Destiny was PS4 only, or even PS3/PS4 only I bet we'd see a very different game in terms of performance and visuals, even if only from the developer focus on fewer platforms to support, and not from the PS4's specific power advantages.

You must ask yourself this:

How did that work out for Titanfall?

USC-fan

Banned
It's worse, much worse.

Its only worse if sony didnt funded the development of the extra DLC. That is the way i look at it. Unless it can be proven that they took stuff out of the other version for this DLC which we will never know.

Seem like a good thing we get extra free content for everyone just not all at the same time. Just depends on your POV...

Redshirt

Banned
As someone who will definitely buy Destiny on XB1, I don't care. The exclusive content seems fun (would love to have it!) but not anything that makes me feel like I'm missing out.

rgnine

Destiny's Multiplayer is definitely competitive enough to surpass any of those games. Hell, even pro Halo players are jumping on the Destiny Multiplayer Hype Train.

There's no way they don't go after that audience. They're not spending $500 million on RPG fans. This is definitely going to be sold as a shooter.

I didn't say they were leaving that audience out in the cold. There is traditional FPS MP within Destiny but it's clear when looking at the information on Destiny and when playing in the Alpha that the bulk of the game is the PvE stuff.

What I'm saying is that the people who play Destiny and stick with it are not going to just drop the game the minute these other Competitive MP FPS games come out. Destiny scratches a different itch than those games. It's not an either/or situation.

RoKKeR

These things happen when you're the market leader and are guaranteed to have the best version of the game.

Some of these posts... mesh.

No, these "things happen" when a platform offers a large sum of cash for marketing deals and exclusive content, just as MS does as CoD.

Squire

Banned
I hope so, I replayed the strike in the alpha over 10 times...

I actually didn't realize Strikes worked like that, but regardless, I'm sure it's no big loss. As noted by other posters above, this exclusive stuff is almost always worthless and completely non-essential. Especially in a loot game. This stuff will be good for an hour, three tops.

Pre-order/exclusive DLC isn't worth getting upset over. If you really need it - if it's truly essential to the experience - it'll be in every version of the game on day one. That goes for every game.

VanWinkle

Being a Xbox player, and a huge Bungie fan, it always stings seeing all of this stuff cater'd to the other platform with no recollection to anyone else. The alpha demo, the beta exclusivity, and all these exclusive content.

But what can you do. In the end I'll still likely enjoy the game

Not as bad as Insomniac PS fans not even getting Sunset Overdrive period, haha.

Top Bottom