• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They could've added a line for each race. Would've been easy.

"Another pesky Human, surprising he/she's lived this long."
"Look brother, a talking machine. A poor imitation of the Vex."
"A traitor walks in my court, brother. One who's forgotten who...he/she was."

Hire me Bungie.

Nah. The scene works with the backstory, they just did a shitty job of explaining it.

Maybe the guardian awoken are born on earth and are thus earthlings and not the same as the awoken who reside in the reef. hehe.

This is actually exactly correct.

I find it hard to believe even if they included these concepts that you ever will care. I mean take the Speaker for instance, that guy is fucking annoying in that typical ''Bungie calm demeanor, no emotions Master Chief look I have a space marine helmet fare''. Isn't he the guy that also commentates the Crucible, he gets on my nerves.

''You take the lead. You are crushing them, sent them home crying. You lost the lead, it looks like you underestimated them''. Fuck this guy.

I would though. I fucking LOVE deep, well crafted lore. It's exactly the thing that pushes me over the line of just "this is a fun game. I'll play another", to actually caring about a franchise.

Abelian75

Neo Member
Why do the astronauts on Mars walk around with ARs?

I thought this was sort of funny as well, but I was pleasantly surprised that some of the Grimoire entries written from the perspective of those astronauts actually mention how ridiculous it was that their command insisted they bring assault rifles (something about how they're pretty sure it actually puts them MORE at risk by having them or something).

tfur

Luke Smith was a journalist for 1UP I think before moving over to Bungie to be a community manager.

But whatever. That means nothing.

What is more interesting is Luke Smith's gaming history. If you look at his Twitter account you will notice he still proudly lists "Scarab Lord" and has it as his profile picture. That is probably the rarest title in WoW as you had to be there at the time and only one person per server was able to get it for opening up the Ahn'Qiraj raid (which took the efforts of the entire server to do). Luke Smith was a really hardcore raider back in vanilla WoW.

I would say there are elements of that in Destiny's design.

Yeesh.

So, he is the design lead? I think much of the responsibility falls on his shoulders, but...

I am not familiar with game company organizational charts, but who is above the design lead? Is there a producer above? Where are the technical and creative directors?

TrevBot

Neo Member
It's staggering how many BASIC features Destiny is missing at launch... but the biggest offender in my mind is chat. How can you have a massively multiplayer game with NO CHAT?!? What blows my mind even more is how many players are actually defending this by stating that you can utilize methods outside of the game to form groups for raids and missions. I mean, do they hear themselves? If your game has multiplayer as a major feature, why not let people talk to each other IN THE GAME?

If there is no in-game chat, then why do players not have the option to manually opt into matchmaking for EVERY SINGLE mission? (Including raids & strikes)

"But Trev, many things are too hard for random groups to accomplish! Matchmaking wouldn't work!"

I agree! If only there was a way to gather other skilled players to have a chance at conquering content. Oh I don't know, like in-game chat? Why not have both? In-game chat to form skilled parties, and also matchmaking that you have to opt-into. I think I remember them saying something about letting players play the game how they want in the original hypetrain...

With all that said though, I still can't stop playing this time. Destiny's shoes are gigantic, hopefully with time it will grow into them and live up to the crazy potential that it has.

I assume they only went to Mars to see what the Traveller was, bringing guns in case it was hostile?

I thought this was sort of funny as well, but I was pleasantly surprised that some of the Grimoire entries written from the perspective of those astronauts actually mention how ridiculous it was that their command insisted they bring assault rifles (something about how they're pretty sure it actually puts them MORE at risk by having them or something).

Yup. This scene would have been so much better if you had those Grimoire entries voiced over it, but noooooooo...

Marcel

Yup. This scene would have been so much better if you had those Grimoire entries voiced over it, but noooooooo...

I would even take an unvoiced in-game log. Or maybe some data you find or scan on their bodies. For how aesthetically great everything looks, the worlds themselves have very little flavor hidden in them. I guess it makes it easier to ignore when I'm grinding out patrol missions for bounty rewards.

I would even take an unvoiced in-game log. Or maybe some data you find or scan on their bodies. For how aesthetically great everything looks, the worlds themselves have very little flavor hidden in them. I guess it makes it easier to ignore when I'm grinding out patrol missions for bounty rewards.

I've actually taken to hunting down Dead Ghosts, purely because it's something I can actually finish.

Tawpgun

Yeesh.

So, he is the design lead? I think much of the responsibility falls on his shoulders, but...

I am not familiar with game company organizational charts, but who is above the design lead? Is there a producer above? Where are the technical and creative directors?

Luke Smith was the design lead on the Raids.

And apparantley did a good job considering its probably the best part of Destiny.

The ingame codex was really extensive no?

Extremely. If the Grimoire had ME's depth, it'd have separate entries for each mat, a detailed history of the various Fallen houses, actual explanations of the theories behind the Space Magic of the Traveler, as well as the more mundane techs of the day, and a ton more besides.

And it'd be in-game ;_;

And apparantley did a good job considering its probably the best part of Destiny.

I'm now trying to imagine a shooter with 14-hour raids becoming the next 'Halo' or 'Call of Duty' (in terms of sales and active playerbase), and I'm not seeing it.

gatti-man

The zones themselves are big, but there aren't many of them, so going to the same locations repeatedly only serves to exacerbate the game's other flaws. For a game all about grinding for loot, it feels decidedly small.

Feels big to me. Ive put in 70 hours. I know where things are but if its so bbg i put off going to far away areas on earth and venus thats big enough for me to say its big.

Doran902

I'm now trying to imagine a shooter with 14-hour raids becoming the next 'Halo' or 'Call of Duty' (in terms of sales and active playerbase), and I'm not seeing it.

I don't see it either. I don't think most console shooter fans want to raid / know what its like. We got to the last boss in 3 hours and after 30 minutes of wiping we had someone just rage quit about how frustrating it was hahaha.

Then there is the fact that most modern shooters are constantly rewarding players and Destiny goes out of its way to not reward you.

JCizzle

The best part that basically nobody will ever play. I'd be surprised if even 5% of the player base beats the last boss in its current form. Take from that what you will in terms of value.

Rains

I don't see it either. I don't think most console shooter fans want to raid / know what its like. We got to the last boss in 3 hours and after 30 minutes of wiping we had someone just rage quit about how frustrating it was hahaha.

Then there is the fact that most modern shooters are constantly rewarding players and Destiny goes out of its way to not reward you.
Wait one boss takes 3 hours to kill WTF the average gamer is not gonna wait around to kill that and then do it again no thanks

Doran902

Wait one boss takes 3 hours to kill WTF the average gamer is not gonna wait around to kill that and then do it again no thanks

It took us that long because we didnt look up strats and had to figure everything out on our own. It has taken other people ALOT longer. You are right though, the average gamer will have no interest in this.

In the raid vs casual debate, the raid people seem to consistently present a flawed argument that regular ass content cannot be made for casuals that is challenging, varied, special, and rewarding.

Strikes could be so amazing. Could be. They are trash right now.

Patroclos

Banned
Lmao. I just meant if it was going to start feeling small for me i think it already would have due to spendong 70 hours in game.

The only zone I know well yet is Old Russia (almost have the moon down) and that is mainly from the beta. Been playing for 1 day and 16 hours. I can see many arguments about different issues the game may have as being valid, but size? Ehh, whatever.

The only zone I know well yet is Old Russia (almost have the moon down) and that is mainly from the beta. Been playing for 1 day and 16 hours. I can see many arguments about different issues the game may have as being valid, but size? Ehh, whatever.

I could probably navigate Earth, the Moon, and Venus with my eyes closed :p

Still getting used to Mars.

Psoelberg

It's weird how desperate they are to do different things but seem willfully ignorant during the execution of them.

So true, it's like they have learned nothing at all from past mistakes. I really hope they will do better with the story in Destiny 2, but it's hard to believe right now.

Izuna

Banned

That's only because there is little incentive for you to map the area out. They're decently sized don't get me wrong, but all of the Story Missions plus one single area is all there is in each four maps. It is not even as big as PSO...

Maulik

So i have an exotic bounty to complete and the current part of it requires for me to do 25 strikes. After doing 20 of them, these are my rewards: blue gloves, blue shoes, green rifle, green shotgun, green RPG and some spinmetal.

WTF is the point of strikes if they do not give you anything greater than just shooting at that god damn cave for about 1.5% of the time investment?

BokehKing

Banned
That guy is also annoying, not that much as the speaker though.
I think you just have a problem with British people perhaps

I think a problem here is, everyone's expectations are way too high, and if they put everything in that everyone wanted, we would not see this game for another 3 years and it would be more than one disc.

People are so hung up on the story section as if that's the main part of the game but it's not, I thought that was rather clear, it was just there to get you to 20 when the game starts

Much how the story in Diablo is just there to get you to end game, nothing more

A_Gorilla

Banned
So i have an exotic bounty to complete and the current part of it requires for me to do 25 strikes. After doing 20 of them, these are my rewards: blue gloves, blue shoes, green rifle, green shotgun, green RPG and some spinmetal.

WTF is the point of strikes if they do not give you anything greater than just shooting at that god damn cave for about 1.5% of the time investment?

Don't worry, even people who love the game like me are asking that question right now.

I think a problem here is, everyone's expectations are way too high, and if they put everything in that everyone wanted, we would not see this game for another 3 years and it would be more than one disc.

People are so hung up on the story section as if that's the main part of the game but it's not, I thought that was rather clear, it was just there to get you to 20 when the game starts

I LAAAV british people.

Patroclos

Banned
That's only because there is little incentive for you to map the area out. They're decently sized don't get me wrong, but all of the Story Missions plus one single area is all there is in each four maps. It is not even as big as PSO...

I do see that. I really wish there were more collectables than dead ghosts and chests. I loved collecting random things in GTA (they are masters of making that fun) and crackdown.

Patroclos

Banned
It's not surprising to see a bunch of "JOE NAILED IT" comments from posters in here, given that Angry Joe is perfect confirmation bias for them. He appeals to the people who actually believe things such as a certain game selling well is "bad for the industry." He appeals to the people like to reduce developers and publishers to cartoon-character, mask-wearing "bad guys." He appeals to the people who have called for individuals to be fired for making an entertainment product they don't like. He appeals to the people who think negative opinions are always more truthful then positive ones, or that positive opinions equal shilling.

He also appeals to people who think wife-beating jokes are HILARIOUS! Look! This guy a page back even thought this was GIF-worthy!

Totally nailed it, guys.

Missed this yesterday amongst all the high fiving, bro hugs and fist bumping going on after his review. Eurogamer is still tops as far as balanced and fair Destiny reviews go. Thanks Interficium for helping me understand how Angry Joe went from being considered a "schtick" internet personality to a hallowed review icon practically overnight.

I'll stick to Jimquisition and Francis for my angry guy rants in the future.

Edit; Double post. Sorry.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Except (from what little I've played so I may be wrong) Diablo III had a full story with an actual plot, interesting characters (more so if you played the previous games) and a challenging final boss).

Destiny's story can be fit into one page, has no good characters outside of the Dinklebot, and the Final "Boss" has to be one of the worst I've played in recent memory.

LiK

Except (from what little I've played so I may be wrong) Diablo III had a full story with an actual plot, interesting characters (more so if you played the previous games) and a challenging final boss).

Destiny's story can be fit into one page, has no good characters outside of the Dinklebot, and the Final "Boss" has to be one of the worst I've played in recent memory.
Take all the Grimoire text and I think they could all fit on one page.

Marcel

A trio of 'palette-swapped' bosses from an earlier story level. Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Maulik

Don't worry, even people who love the game like me are asking that question right now.

I hope some outlet does a post mortem with them and ask them these questions. I mean it would help if they were upfront with their community and give us at least some indication that they are listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom