• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I don't care for Angry Joe but I suppose I should see what the praise is all about. I'll make some time to watch it after work.

giphy.gif

His review is spot on. He likes the game like us but he also points out every annoying stupid thing we hate about the game. Even if you enjoy the game,, you will agree with him about the complaints.

No, it looks like she is just another bounty/faction type vendor with 20 bounties to gain rep and marks. Out of those 20, 3 can't be completed until DLC1 and 3 more can't be completed until DLC2. You need to beat story bosses that are behind locked doors. The locked doors won't open until you by the DLC license.

Oh.

Well, that's disappointing. Outside of the carrot-game they're playing with DLC, I was really hoping for some meat to the story with her missions.

Her section in the story is easily the most fleshed out and well-presented compared to the rest. I was hoping to get more of that.

tfur

That tweet.

As if the raid is any better.

It is the same repetitive bullshit.

Shoot sponge (that is in the same location),
teleport,
shoot more AI (that is in the same location),
go back through portal,
shoot more AI (that is in the same location),
goto Shoot sponge.

EVERYTHING repeats in the game world.
All AI re-spawns, and in the same location.
Almost all missions are the same setup. Attack, hack, defend, attack, repeat.

The game needed at least another year or two to bake, and certainly much more and better refined content.

Marcel

His review is spot on. He likes the game like us but he also points out every annoying stupid thing we hate about the game. Even if you enjoy the game,, you will agree with him about the complaints.

That's good to hear. I think it can be lost in the negativity but I want to like the game more. I like many things about it, namely the shooting and the aesthetics. But the many flaws are just so hard to look past or ignore.

*gasp* YOU ARE THE DARKNESS!
Dinklespark is the Darkness.

Evidence:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
* Practitioner of Necromancy.
* Primary skills include breaking and entering, illegal decryption, data theft and spying through cracks in the ground.
* Detects Vex have you surrounded when you first enter the library on Venus - then asks you to scan something in the middle of the room for no good reason.
* Just happens to activate every nearby Vex transport gateway as you enter Campus 9.
* Is always fiddling with comms just before the fire team is ambushed. Always.
* Is always done fiddling with comms just as the last major enemy is defeated. Convenient.

You know it in your heart that its true.

breakfuss

Every time I hear "you haven't played until you've logged 20 hours", it just confuses the hell out of me.

If you've played 5 hours of destiny, you've played 5,000 hours of Destiny.

To be fair, it does introduce a few new mechanics post-lvl 20. Content wise, yes, it does appear to be the same. That's why I like PvP the most since the novelty of playing with others always offers something fresh. Sad part is that I'm sure most didn't buy it with the intention of playing competitively.

Btw, as cliched as it's become to say, this thread has been more entertaining than the game, lol.

Evidence:
* Primary skills include breaking and entering, illegal decryption, data theft and spying through cracks in the ground.
* Detects Vex have you surrounded when you first enter the library on Venus - then asks you to scan something in the middle of the room for no good reason.
* Just happens to activate every nearby Vex transport gateway as you enter Campus 9.
* Is always done fiddling with comms just as the last major enemy is defeated. Convenient.

LOL...Even better than Dinklebot.

LiK

That's good to hear. I think it can be lost in the negativity but I want to like the game more. I like many things about it, namely the shooting and the aesthetics. But the many flaws are just so hard to look past or ignore.

Yea, no worries. He's pretty fair about it and points out the good as well as the bad. He's basically GAF incarnate, imo :p

Evidence:

Now that I think about it, I don't know that anybody's seen Dinkleboot and The Darkness at the same time. Hmmm.

Marcel

Evidence:

With all this talk of light and darkness going around, I think I want Sora, Donald and Goofy on my fireteam instead of anyone in the |OT|.

One guy. Not "the dev team", one guy.

This one tweet has created an ugly narrative that Bungie as a company wanted people to hold back reviews until the raid was out, or that they expected the weekly content to affect reviews.

We don't know if that's true, and there's no need to force it.

Utter nonsense.

You are basically admitting that you are taking one statement and twisting it to form a narrative.

Whatever it implies, it does not say that people should wait for the weekly content for reviews, which is currently the claim being put on Bungie as a company, and not just on the UI designer. It's a gross carelessness with the truth just to strengthen a narrative.
Is narrative the new nanomachines?

Narratives, son!

Blazini

Neo Member
Destiny is a giant game of horde mode... Joes was the most accurate reviewer on this game. Bungie is suffering form Respawn syndrome ( all hype and little delivery) After Titanfall dropped Respawn crawled in their holes..

Wizman23

Banned
There is much more story in Diablo 3, As for concrete examples:

- There are characters: Leah, Cain, Imperius, Maghda, Adriah, Tyreal, Ahzmodan, Zoltun Khule, Malthael and a bunch more.

- There are events, stuff happens in the story... unlike destiny which ya know, actually nothing really happens.

- There is an intro, a middle, and end... even a twist. In Destiny you wake up, you scan stuff, you go to venus, then a robot lady gives you a nice gun and thats it.

- There are classic story telling elements in D3 story, there is a messenger (tyrael), there is a trickster (leah), there is a conflict (heaven-hell)

- Unlike Destiny lore-plot exposition is done trough nice cutscenes during key events, and in game voice over.

I don't want to sound like I think D3 story is good, is not... but it is far more elaborated than the Destiny one, which IMO lacks the minimun requirements to be called a history.

Diablo 3's story is just as pointless as Destiny's. If anyone bought either game for a "story" then I feel sorry for them. The only reason Diablo 3 wins the story argument in my book is because you can skip the cutscenes. Hopefully Bungie patches in that option.

gatti-man

Destiny is a giant game of horde mode... Joes was the most accurate reviewer on this game. Bungie is suffering form Respawn syndrome ( all hype and little delivery) After Titanfall dropped Respawn crawled in their holes..

But titanfall was really good. It had revolutionary mechanics tied to unfortunately zero content.

LiK

But titanfall was really good. It had revolutionary mechanics tied to unfortunately zero content.

TitanFall needed a campaign. Altho I guess it's not that much different than Destiny. Destiny had some cutscenes which were as bad as Titanfall's' PiP shit.

Marcel

Diablo 3's story is just as pointless as Destiny's. If anyone bought either game for a "story" then I feel sorry for them. The only reason Diablo 3 wins the story argument in my book is because you can skip the cutscenes. Hopefully Bungie patches in that option.

The cutscenes likely disguise loading times so I'm not sure if that's an option.

Marcel

But they take place *after* load times. I guess there are a few that happen in the world too.

But the reef cinematic isn't skippable, nor are the credits.

I didn't try to skip the one in the Reef because I got excited about new characters and potential plot development.

What a silly thing for past me to do.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TitanFall needed a campaign. Altho I guess it's not that much different than Destiny. Destiny had some cutscenes which were as bad as Titanfall's' PiP shit.
Would a campaign have made it stickier? I love Titanfall and would still be playing it if it weren't for all the technical problems that I am having.

Perhaps the one problem that Titanfall has is that it's "too easy" to progress up the skill tree. I appreciate it because I don't want to play for 50 hours just to get the gun I want to use, but it also isn't as immediately addictive as the CoD games and the "chase the dragon" aspect of grinding there.

But they take place *after* load times. I guess there are a few that happen in the world too.

But the reef cinematic isn't skippable, nor are the credits.
It's strange that you can load your inventory and manage your stuff as the cutscene is playing. I don't really understand the rationale.

MMaRsu

Banned

Lol what cutscenes, you mean the three they actually bothered to put in?

And comparatively, Respawned promised much less compared to Bungie and Destiny

Plus it was Respawn's first game besides making COD back when they were at IW. Whereas Bungie made Minotaur, Myth, Marathon Trilogy, Oni, Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo:Reach, Halo: ODST and this is the best they could come up with?

106829-Kevin-Hart-dumbfounded-confuse-0aQE.gif

Impala26

Arrogant Bungie, Halo is still going and the further away they are from it the better.

Legends_1337_Bubble_Shield.gif

I agree whole-heartedly with this.

I know this has been said basically before, but the Destiny fallout has pretty much has proven to me Bungie had gotten bored by Halo and that Bungie in 2014 is NOT Bungie of 2004. What happened to you Bungie?

Marcel

It's like it was reviewed by someone who actually spent time playing the game rather than rushing through it to be the first to review it right?

A statement so vague it could be applied to any journalist playing any game. Destiny is not somehow a unique snowflake just because the only thing that really tests you is the raid.

That Kotaku review reads more like a loot cave addict's confession.

And yeah, I guess that's an appropriate frame.

You'll never see me farming - if a game reaches the point where I feel compelled to do something like that then the game has entirely worn out its welcome. At that point the end-game really does mean where the game ends.

Tegernako

Banned
My first post here...so here we go.

You review the game for what it is and the content it has (in this case Destiny has a tonne more going for it beyond the competent PvP), not what the developer made in the past. Respawn is made up of mainly ex IW guys, but Titanfall is no where near as content rich as Call of Duty, and that is fine. Does seem to me like there is a big double standard in the industry in picking and choosing when certain things matter and when they don't, or who can be let off for a lack of this, that or the other, and who can't.

Saying that, it's nothing new. Inconsistencies in journalism, even among the same journalists, are old as gold.
I really hate it when people talk about Titanfall and Destiny in the same sentence.

Everyone says the game is bad because it doesn’t have "enough content" yet those same people complain about "Bloat" in games and say that they have too many weapons that are the same, to many gimmicks, etc. Titanfall is all about the gameplay just like the Halo, Quake, Doom, Tribes, CS, etc. You don't see people lamenting that CS only has a few weapons now do you? That's because the gameplay is fucking good.

Respawn made the game with 64 employee’s (standard dev team has 200+ people), under constant stress from the Activision lawsuit, and literally ran out out money halfway through development, and still ended up creating a game that sold millions. They had to scrap a lot of things to even get the game shipped. If they'd had more money and less pressure from activision they'd have had a lot more modes and even a single player but they had to scrap it. http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/17/behind-the-scenes-final-hours-of-titanfall-app-now-available/

Bungie never had any issue with money, at all. They have over 500 employee’s, they didn't have to deal with a lawsuit, they didn't have to convince people that their company could make good games, they didn't have any issue that the Respawn guys had. What’s their excuse for not having custom games and everything else? What' their excuse for empty worlds? Piss poor social features?

And you know what else? There’s not a single thing Respawn ever said that misrepresented their game. They never mislead people about what was in it or what the game was about at any point. It was always a multiplayer game with some game mode that had people talking. They never said their story would be compared to star wars.

So when Titanfall got amazing scores, it got them because it did everything it set out to do. Destiny got average scores because it didn't.

Synth

I really hate it when people talk about Titanfall and Destiny in the same sentence.

Everyone says the game is bad because it doesn’t have "enough content" yet those same people complain about "Bloat" in games and say that they have too many weapons that are the same, to many gimmicks, etc. Titanfall is all about the gameplay just like the Halo, Quake, Doom, Tribes, CS, etc. You don't see people lamenting that CS only has a few weapons now do you? That's because the gameplay is fucking good.

Respawn made the game with 64 employee’s (standard dev team has 200+ people), under constant stress from the Activision lawsuit, and literally ran out out money halfway through development, and still ended up creating a game that sold millions. They had to scrap a lot of things to even get the game shipped. If they'd had more money and less pressure from activision they'd have had a lot more modes and even a single player but they had to scrap it. http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/17/behind-the-scenes-final-hours-of-titanfall-app-now-available/

Bungie never had any issue with money, at all. They have over 500 employee’s, they didn't have to deal with a lawsuit, they didn't have to convince people that their company could make good games, they didn't have any issue that the Respawn guys had. What’s their excuse for not having custom games and everything else? What' their excuse for empty worlds? Piss poor social features?

And you know what else? There’s not a single thing Respawn ever said that misrepresented their game. They never mislead people about what was in it or what the game was about.

So when Titanfall got amazing scores, it got them because it did everything it set out to do. Destiny got average scores because it didn't.

The other thing people don't seem to consider is that by nature of being a multiplayer focused game, players will generally attempt to commit the content to memory. A fighting game with 1000 characters probably wouldn't actually benefit from it if it meant 6 months down the line you were still getting lamed out by shit you'd never seen before. Similarly, competitive FPS games with loads of maps (think Quake or UT) tend to have the community converge around a handful of stronger maps, forming a standard. This allows people to learn the layouts, and where items and such are located, in order to play the game with a higher level of strategy. Being lost and walking around aimlessly doesn't really help these types of games.

When your game is about exploring new worlds, and fighting AI enemies (which let's face it, once you've beaten them once, they're basically useless), it sure as hell better have more unique content for me to experience. Playing Vertical Vengeance or Deck-16 for the 5000th time was still great. I'll be damned if I want to do the same with a random Spartan Ops mission.

breakfuss

And you know what else? There’s not a single thing Respawn ever said that misrepresented their game. They never mislead people about what was in it or what the game was about.

Preach. The comparisons to other games are so asinine. As if Candy Crush should somehow be penalized for having less "ambition" than Destiny. Well, helllllllo, they're two entirely different games with different objectives. This is about execution. Maybe people keep using Titanfall because it's a shooter? Idk. Oh, and welcome.

---
That kotaku review is fantastic. Arguably the best I've read. I guess if you're going to be that late at least do it right, lol. I understand their reasoning for not assigning a number score but still disagree, though.

Marcel

Preach. The comparisons to other games are so asinine. As if Candy Crush should somehow be penalized for having less "ambition" than Destiny. Well, helllllllo, they're two entirely different games with different objectives. This is about execution. Maybe people keep using Titanfall because it's a shooter? Idk. Oh, and welcome.

---
That kotaku review is fantastic. Arguably the best I've read. I guess if you're going to be that late at least do it right, lol. I understand their reasoning for not assigning a number score but still disagree, though.

I would have put a "Maybe" or "Wait" on their one-word review thing, considering the amount of negatives they cited and that their review is likely for more skeptical people who waited for the impressions anyway.

I would have put a "Maybe" or "Wait" on their one-word review thing, considering the amount of negatives they cited and that their review is likely for more skeptical people who waited for the impressions anyway.
Yeah.

Its like a long form article that spells out all the dangers of heroin abuse, and yet still leads with "YES, you should totally do some heroin. Feels soooooooooooo good".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom