• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: Mass Effect is disappointing but nice looking

Draft said:
There's no way any of you genuinely enjoyed Jade Empire. You're lying to yourselves, to me, to the whole damn world. It's shameful.

I enjoyed it, but I borrowed it from a friend. I might have been more upset had I paid for it.

Imagine you are talking to somebody who is saying something interesting. They get to the end of a point and pause. Do you immediately jump in and say something (remember that you are interested in what they have to say) or pause for a half second or so to see if they keep on going?

What everyone is thinking of here is how people talk in movies, where they have a script and know exactly when to see their lines. The dialogue in this is actually much closer to reality, especially given its serious nature.

PleoMax

Banned
NovemberMike said:
Imagine you are talking to somebody who is saying something interesting. They get to the end of a point and pause. Do you immediately jump in and say something (remember that you are interested in what they have to say) or pause for a half second or so to see if they keep on going?

What everyone is thinking of here is how people talk in movies, where they have a script and know exactly when to see their lines. The dialogue in this is actually much closer to reality, especially given its serious nature.

I was just checking and episode of the O.C, and there's this blond women talking to this guy, and he starts talking like mad.

Usually when someone is saying something you want to listen you pay attention, and normally you don't start jumping around like a monkey trying to do movements, you stay still, you might move your arm a bit, scratch something, but the person that is doing the talking is normaly doing the walking when they have something to show, or somewhere to go.

Obviously, Mass Effect is not without fault, but hey, it's a game, it's not a movie.

J-Rzez

I stated from checking out the vids way before this preview that the combat sections looked like your standard boring shooter... The weapons looked boring, there just wasn't any flair that stood out... I like in depth stories, so I know I'll be happy with that, it's just the gameplay looks, eh... Bioshock can ruin a person...

Draft

Bioshock is like a turd, floating in my toilet, only the toilet has a dragon carved in it, and someone has dressed the turd up like Lo-Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

J-Rzez said:
I stated from checking out the vids way before this preview that the combat sections looked like your standard boring shooter... The weapons looked boring, there just wasn't any flair that stood out... I like in depth stories, so I know I'll be happy with that, it's just the gameplay looks, eh... Bioshock can ruin a person...
Only, they're adding many powers, squad combats, and probably boss encounter. Maybe it's just not your type of game, but in my opinion, a squad based Psi Ops + GRAW in that kind of SciFi setting could be the greatest thing ever.

J-Rzez

Littleberu said:
Only, they're adding many powers, squad combats, and probably boss encounter. Maybe it's just not your type of game, but in my opinion, a squad based Psi Ops + GRAW in that kind of SciFi setting could be the greatest thing ever.

Even if I don't like the shooting, i'll prolly still pick it up and trudge through the shooting parts to get to the story stuff :D

The conversations looked like crap in Oblivion and people still loved that game, so I don't quite see what the problem is. The conversation scenes in Mass Effect look like they blow Oblivion's out of the water. Furthermore, these scenes aren't scriped (like in Gears of War or Heavenly Sword) so its really unfair to compare the two.

Observation from this thread = People are too damn picky and will find anything to bitch about.

crunker99

anyone who doesnt know structoid is a pure hitmongering site by now and still actually listens to what they say, deserves the info they are getting from them

let whoever still reads them enjoy the "facts" they write about and live theri life based on them. ignorance is bliss man, ignorance is bliss

as long as it does not affect any of us who actually read other things and do our own sleuthing, who careS? no need to even pay attention to structoid

Sharp

crunker99 said:
anyone who doesnt know structoid is a pure hitmongering site by now and still actually listens to what they say, deserves the info they are getting from them

let whoever still reads them enjoy the "facts" they write about and live theri life based on them. ignorance is bliss man, ignorance is bliss

as long as it does not affect any of us who actually read other things and do our own sleuthing, who careS? no need to even pay attention to structoid
Agreed, except for one thing. Destructoid began as a hitmongering site. It has just grown progressively worse over time, to the point that it is now pretty much at ***** level.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Littleberu said:

It took me a few months to pick up kotor and have another go at it, because i couldnt stomach the BG/D&D combat system. I am glad i did though.

I feel the same about ME, not really fond of shooting, i prefer swords/sabers etc. Being bioware, i cant write it off though.

Evlar

Banned
crunker99 said:

This needed bumping because...

Top Bottom