• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC |OT| Electronic old men running the world. A new age.

merrick97

Banned
That's pretty much any game with a stealth option, really. Stealth always takes longer. =) And Deus Ex is such a big game, that it can take a LONG time to beat with that playstyle.

Also, yeah, you go down really fast on Give Me Deus Ex, so that should make a non-stealthy playthrough much more challenging.

Deus Ex HR is clearly designed as a stealth game first and foremost. Running and gunning will get you killed very quickly even on the easiest difficulty.

Tom_Cody

That's just the first area. You're really not locked into a playstyle depending on what weapon you choose there. All that choice really does is give you a starting weapon -- even in the first level there are enough other types of weapons that you could switch things up with before even getting to the first hub (where pretty much any option will be open to you). Also, the difficulty can be changed at any time.

Later in the game it would be harder to change playstyles because of your choice of augmentations, but that early in the game it's not a big deal to try something else.

The former are what Sarif asks you prior to the mission, all it is is a weapon choice and nothing of long reaching significance; it's just your starting weapon. The latter is part of the difficulty select descriptions before you start the game at all.
Hmm. It looks like I should have just experimented a bit more.

To this point, what are the consequence of killing vs. going non-lethal? Also, do you have to hide bodies (dead or alive) ala MGS?

Hmm. It looks like I should have just experimented a bit more.

To this point, what are the consequence of killing vs. going non-lethal? Also, do you have to hide bodies (dead or alive) ala MGS?

You get a lot more experience for going non-lethal. Enemies will wake up if knocked out. From a story perspective, there isn't much of a consequence. Occasionally an NPC will comment on it, and there's very slight differences in the endings. And yeah, you want to hide bodies so that enemies don't find them and go hostile.

The experience system in the game is kinda broken, so it's almost always to your benefit to go non-lethal if you're maximizing XP. However, XP isn't really a problem regardless, because like Derrick said, you can get most of the augments during one playthrough. Even without maximizing your XP gain on each enemy.

merrick97

Banned
You get a lot more experience for going non-lethal. Enemies will wake up if knocked out. From a story perspective, there isn't much of a consequence. Occasionally an NPC will comment on it, and there's very slight differences in the endings. And yeah, you want to hide bodies so that enemies don't find them and go hostile.

The experience system in the game is kinda broken, so it's almost always to your benefit to go non-lethal if you're maximizing XP. However, XP isn't really a problem regardless, because like Derrick said, you can get most of the augments during one playthrough. Even without maximizing your XP gain on each enemy.

For me that was the biggest flaw of the game is that the experience system is heavily biased towards non-lethal and stealth.

This is pretty great:

3rpEj.jpg

I read in the OP that this will be a standalone version on PC. Will this let me do a NG+ with my save from the original DX:HR? If so: bought.

Think I'm going to pay the $5 just because I want to do a replay with the Valve-like developer commentary nodes. Loved that stuff in TF2, the Portal games, Left 4 Dead etc.

Gonna try a stealth and sniper playthrough this time with the DLC sniper.

"No, within six months." (No, within the week, :p)

Can't wait. Great game, I wonder how much the "Missing Link" engine will improve visuals. Couldn't really tell much of a difference before because of the vastly different environments in TML. I notice the features list on the steam page lists "HDR available", which isn't present on the original release's page. I wish pre-rendered cutscenes would be 1080p but I doubt it.

Still, I think the biggest feature I want is the commentary. I wish more developer's would follow in Valve's footprints with this. Upgraded boss battles will be cool, but it won't change the fact that the Tyrants are really badly used in the story itself. You get no sense for their character at all in the game, which is too bad considering they were more fleshed out in the novel spin-off.

I'm hoping they add a little bit more of a sequel tease this time.

Also, about the OP, I can't see the "augmented Reggie" everyone is talking about. Is it flash? I'm on my iPad right now.

Can't wait. Great game, I wonder how much the "Missing Link" engine will improve visuals. Couldn't really tell much of a difference before because of the vastly different environments in TML. I notice the features list on the steam page lists "HDR available", which isn't present on the original release's page. I wish pre-rendered cutscenes would be 1080p but I doubt it.

I'm mostly interested in the engine improvements. Would be grateful for a screenshot comparison between the Director's Cut and the vanilla game, if someone could spare the time.

Tom_Cody

For me that was the biggest flaw of the game is that the experience system is heavily biased towards non-lethal and stealth.
Ugh, this is still so confusing. I guess I'll just try for ranged non-lethal this time.

It's at least useful to know that weapon selection prompt only matters for the first mission. I guess I'll just accept that I'll have to do a bit of experimentation in order to figure out my preferred style.

I actually never finished my playthrough of the game; I got up to the point of the first Heng Sha visit where you're supposed to infiltrate some place with some ID badge (I think you got it from some Jamaican hacker dude?). I dunno, I always find stealth to be a chore, but I also like doing non-lethal playthroughs, and that kinda necessitates stealth. I should probably just start over and start killing people, but I dunno.

I know everyone likes to talk about how dumb the AI in HR is, but they seem infinitely smarter than the original game, where they'd just walk over their sleeping partners without batting an eye, give up the hunt after a pathetically small amount of time, or get taken out instantly by whacking their spinal cord near the upper part of their buttocks. I was getting pretty good at abusing the AI in the first game. I dunno.

Also, a non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Also, about the OP, I can't see the "augmented Reggie" everyone is talking about. Is it flash? I'm on my iPad right now.
Bottom of this image.

Has there been any word on whether or not this will be considered its own game for Achievements/Trophies or if it will piggyback off the original? I still need to get that No Kill Achievement on HR.

If this game wasn't a few days before Arkham Origins, I'd bite. I only borrowed the original, but really loved it.

Miguel81

Such a great song.

Loved the short homage to it in HR as well.

People that quit at the Statue of Liberty level do themselves a HUGE disservice. UNATCO is where it gets good. After finishing the game, replay the 1st level and you'll appreciate it's diversity much more.

I'm always impressed by just how well this game turned out, what with the hype it had to live up to from the first one. Been listening to this soundtrack a lot lately, too. Can't wait to grab this sweet upgrayedd and play it again.

jmizzal

Would prob bite day 1 on WiiU if it wasnt 49.99, love the game on PC but i'll wait for WiiU price drop

They shouldve gave WiiU owners Deus Ex: The Fall as a bonus, it was made with the Unity engine and would be easy to port to WiiU, or at least bring it anyways.

shaki123

WiiU eShop has updated Deus Ex info. Game is listed for 39,99 Euros in Holland. Hope his settles some arguments here. I'll buy digital now, since it's cheaper then retail. Can OP be updated?

Dunan

I bought the PS3 Augmented Edition a long time ago and completely enjoyed my one (
Pacifist, Malik-saving, "Tell Me A Story"-mode
playthrough.

Regarding the controls and the southpaw option: will we be able to reverse the X-axis for the camera control? I struggled mightily to adjust to the mandatory non-inverted style that this game had.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Has there been any confirmation or denial that the "graphical upgrades" and better shadows they've stated are available to all platforms or just the wiiU (strictly speaking console terms) ?

D-e-f-

Banned
Polygon said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is the best version of a modern classic.

With improvements to the game's flow and excellent second-screen support, the Director's Cut of Human Revolution is the definitive version of an excellent game. Human Revolution would bear replaying even without the enhancements — it's a rare title that combines superb world building and storytelling with such dedication to player choice. I lost myself in the world of Human Revolution, and relished every opportunity to dive deeper into its mysteries. 9/10
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/18/4...on-directors-cut-review-all-tomorrows-parties

Btw, little tidbit: the PC/PS3/360 versions of the Director's Cut were ported (back? lol) by Snowed In Studios.

Cystm

Btw, little tidbit: the PC/PS3/360 versions of the Director's Cut were ported (back? lol) by Snowed In Studios.

Snowed In Studios worked with Eidos Montréal on the technical certification programming for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game. This approach allowed the team at Eidos to focus on higher-level and player-facing areas such as gameplay, artificial intelligence and user interfaces. Snowed In Studios worked towards making sure the title was as bug-free as possible and console-certifiable by completing tasks on the title’s Technical Requirements Checklist (TRC) on the PS3 and Technical Certification Requirements (TCR) on the Xbox 360. The title successfully passed certifications on its first submission.

They did work on it, but it wasn't strictly their work, it sounds like.

Eusis

so its like its $45

against the $30 from ps3/xbox versions
For those who got all the PC stuff it's really tough to beat $5, so I'm definitely going to day one this on PC and maybe day whenever-sub-$30 on Wii U. 360's out of the question and PS3's only going to be considered if they do similar there on PSN as they did on PC, and only because of the free PS+ copy.

D-e-f-

Banned
Wow, really? So you're telling me that DC for PC uses no code written by Nixxes?

EDIT: Looks like they only did the 360/PS3 versions (http://snowedin.ca/projects/eidos-montreal/)
They did work on it, but it wasn't strictly their work, it sounds like.

I was strictly going off of what a dev working at Snowed In posted after adding some info about their work to the wiki on Giant Bomb:

• Codicier Fixed developer credits for different releases.
  • Codicier Added text to the overview to clarify division of port work between developers.
  • Codicier Added Snowed In Studios as a developer. I'm a developer at Snowed In and we did all versions of the Director's Cut except for the Wii U version. I don't know how to mark different developers for different releases though.
http://www.giantbomb.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut/3030-42021/wiki-history/

He added the platform bit himself and included the PC version. So not sure if that was just an oversight or if their own website has incomplete info?

Wow, really? So you're telling me that DC for PC uses no code written by Nixxes?

EDIT: Looks like they only did the 360/PS3 versions (http://snowedin.ca/projects/eidos-montreal/)

^ What you are reading there is about their work on the original (non-DC) release. They did some work on the PS360 versions.

Now they did the DC. Presumably EM is busy with DX4 to do it themselves.

I am not sure if Nixxes didn't work at all on the PC DC, but their code would be used as the base anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Has there been any word on how the "upgrade" will work for users who already own the base game and DLC? Will Steam just see that I have those and list the Director's Cut as $5?

D-e-f-

Banned
Has there been any word on how the "upgrade" will work for users who already own the base game and DLC? Will Steam just see that I have those and list the Director's Cut as $5?

Yes, that's how things work on steam with other games that have reduced prices attached to promotions like this. ("X only costs Y if you already own Z"

I loved this game when I played it early last year. Still awaiting a squeal. Now if the Director's cut has it's own set of trophies apart from the original and the dlc than I'm jumping the F in! :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is the dev commentary in every version? Because I'm totally going to get this if that's the case. That's amazing.

No idea, but it looks pretty bloody thorough. Some of it seems to be a bit fiddly, like looking at the right thing to bring up the trigger pop-up, but the actual discussions are damn interesting. There was at least three in the police station, for example. One of them actually taught me something new (end game spoilers):
throughout the police station you'll see pictures of missing girls, and case emails talking about specific girls who've disappeared. This is an early hint to the abductions for Panchaea, with the same girls named dropped at the end game
. Such a lovely little detail I never picked up on.

EDIT: Whoops! I read your post as "is the dev commentary in every area?". It's every copy of the game, yes; PC, Wii U, 360, and PS3.

That was my main problem too. If you go around and put everyone to sleep... every mission takes forever.

At one point I snapped and just started gunning everyone. It's weirdly easy to just run and gun everything. I'm thinking of upgrading and playing on "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty. I'm hoping that discourages me from gunning.

On my first ever playthrough, I was trying to get the achievement for beating the game without killing a single person. I go through the entire game perfectly, not killing a single person the whole way. I put everyone to sleep like a master.

Only to find out that the tutorial counts as killing people. I didn't get the achievement.

That shit pissed me the fuck off.

So when I play this, I'm just going to go apeshit and kill a bunch of motherfuckers.

Top Bottom