• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut [Up: Off-Screen play confirmed]

JoeFu

Banned
huh... I really loved this game and I beat it on the PC and reading that post with all the improvements makes me want to play it again. Maybe I will double dip?

Wow the salt all over their Facebook over this haha.

Why are only the PC guys bitching about this? I've heard maybe one suggestion of a 360/PS3 upgrade.

People need to get over it and maybe even be, Iunno, happy for the Wii U getting an upgrade to a good game?

StuBurns

Banned
Sounds like they're putting real, appreciable effort into this, that's very nice to see. I still don't really see the logic of doing the port, but it's great they appear to be doing a respectful job of it.

So to add to the OP:
  • Boss fights have been revamped with new AI, new level layouts, and the possibility of beating the bosses without ever firing a bullet.
  • New Game+ with all augmentations carrying over
  • New augmentation that gives you an enhanced first-person view on the GamePad
  • Rebalanced energy system that includes the second battery refilling rather than just the first (except on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty)
  • Toss back grenades by swiping the touchscreen
  • Hacking, looting, sniping, and menus on the GamePad
  • Record notes with text, drawing, screenshots, or audio, and share them on Miiverse
  • Map notes
  • Off-TV Play
  • Tong's Rescue and Missing Link DLC included and integrated smoothly into the game (Missing Link originally had to be launched separately from Main Menu despite taking place during the main plot)
  • Preorder bonus weapons included
  • Official in-game strategy guide included in the menus, can be accessed at any time
  • ~8 hours of Director's Cut commentary included throughout the world
  • 45 minute "Making Of" documentary
  • Achievements from base game, Missing Link, and new Director's Cut achievements
  • Left-handed control schemes (four control schemes in total)
  • Multilingual support with English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish voice and subtitles enabled (can be mixed and matched)
  • Enhanced graphics from the Missing Link, including smoother shadows, improvements to lighting and fog, and antialiasing
  • Upgraded enemy AI

TheNatural

My Member!
Wow the salt all over their Facebook over this haha.

Why are only the PC guys bitching about this? I've heard maybe one suggestion of a 360/PS3 upgrade.

People need to get over it and maybe even be, Iunno, happy for the Wii U getting an upgrade to a good game?

It's only an upgrade until it comes out, and bombs. Then you'll have three dozen Wii U owners making excuses saying it was a horrible port and bombed because everyone knew it didn't have a green alternative costume option that was in the 360 version or something. You know, like every other third party game that comes out.

Richie

So to add to the OP:
  • Boss fights have be revamped with new AI, new level layouts, and the possibility of beating the bosses without ever firing a bullet.
  • New Game+ with all augmentations carrying over
  • New augmentation that gives you an enhanced first-person view on the GamePad
  • Rebalanced energy system that includes the second battery refilling rather than just the first (except on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty)
  • Toss back grenades by swiping the touchscreen
  • Hacking, looting, sniping, and menus on the GamePad
  • Record notes with text, drawing, screenshots, or audio, and share them on Miiverse
  • Map notes
  • Off-TV Play
  • Tong's Rescue and Missing Link DLC included and integrated smoothly into the game (Missing Link had to be launched separately from Main Menu despite taking place during the main plot)
  • Preorder bonus weapons included
  • Achievements from base game, Missing Link, and new Director's Cut achievements
  • Left-handed control schemes (four control schemes in total)
  • Multilingual support with English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish voice and subtitles enabled (can be mixed and matched)
  • Enhanced graphics from the Missing Link, including smoother shadows, improvements to lighting and fog, and antialiasing
  • Upgraded enemy AI
Official strategy guide included in-game, can be accessed at any time.

Really glad they fixed the boss battles, i was going stealth/hacker and hated them. Will probably buy again when it's cheap. Already got the pc version

It's only an upgrade until it comes out, and bombs. Then you'll have three dozen Wii U owners making excuses saying it was a horrible port and bombed because everyone knew it didn't have a green alternative costume option that was in the 360 version or something. You know, like every other third party game that comes out.

I don't give a flying shit if it bombs. It's like when people tell me I'm a complete retard for getting an MS Surface -- who cares if it sells well? I bought it, obviously I like it.

If it sells well or not is not indicative of if it's an upgrade or not. These are two separate concepts.

There's honestly quite a few games that I would buy on Wii U right now if I wasn't dirt poor. Sadly, I don't have the money to support these devs, but I should have some for this.

DrWong

You should avoid these kind of post. I mean, at least for "tactical" reasons, in your console crusade.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Missing Link's rendering improvements spread across the main game is great. It's no ENB, but it's mostly better than vanilla (stuff like tessellation excluded).

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't give a flying shit if it bombs. It's like when people tell me I'm a complete retard for getting an MS Surface -- who cares if it sells well? I bought it, obviously I like it.

If it sells well or not is not indicative of if it's an upgrade or not. These are two separate concepts.

True, but most don't seem to get that. Look at the first few pages of this thread, lots of third party blaming. We'll see if these people put their money where their mouths are for a change after playing the persecution complex card that all these companies have some Wii U vendetta. I'm guessing they'll find something to nitpick at after the fact to blame poor sales on how bad the game is, instead of the userbase not being there.

You should avoid these kind of post. I mean, at least for "tactical" reasons, in your console crusade.

I'm not in a crusade. I would just like for people when either games like this are announced, or developers commenting they aren't bringing a game over to Wii U, to acknowledge the reason why it's happening and stop pointing the finger at them.

Looks like Criterion put some work into Need For Speed, and the same is happening here. If the game bombs, it bombs, no blame game that it was the developers fault for not doing a good job.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Sir, you can have all the good points in this world, and I actually think you're not totally wrong with parts of what you've been saying for awhile, but seriously: talking with others in this way is just annoying as hell and don't help the discussion at all. Come on, these tones weren't needed in this thread XD

Wow, those enhancements sound sweet. I started this on PC a few years back but due to a game breaking glitch that I ran into taht took them over 6 months to patch, I never finished it despite loving it. I'll double-dip for this.

TheNatural

My Member!
Sir, you can have all the good points in this world, and I actually think you're not totally wrong with parts of what you've been saying for awhile, but seriously: talking with others in this way is just annoying as hell and don't help the discussion at all. Come on, these tones weren't needed in this thread XD

I guess this is a different thread, but you should have seen the Amazon thread earlier this week. Some people need to learn the meaning of the phrase, "you never look a gift horse in the mouth."

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm reversing my thoughts on this... if they cut a cool marketing trailer and put a bit of targeted spend behind it, I could see it being profitable with that kind of upgrade to the base game. Maybe. I mean, Batman AC hit 70k... though they ran TV for it.

Though if it goes the way of ME3U... yikes.

Oh look, preemptive damage control for damage control. And I love the implication that complaints about how ports have been handled on Wii U are just baseless excuses for underwhelming sales. You know, because shit like ME3 at full price as the trilogy releases on other consoles would totally fly on some other platform, and who wouldn't be psyched about a barebones port of other titles at 3 times the price they're available for elsewhere? :p

The game stands to bomb because it's a year and a half old port being released for nearly full price. That's a tough pill to swallow regardless of the platform. And frankly Wii U owners have a right to be pissed about the way publishers have been handling multi-platform releases (late, overpriced, buggy). At least this one looks like more of a good faith effort, but given that the fanbase for the series has probably long since moved on it's not a stretch to assume it'll get a lukewarm reception, especially if it's ultimately headed to other systems, which seems likely based on their PR non-response.

I'm reversing my thoughts on this... if they cut a cool marketing trailer and put a bit of targeted spend behind it, I could see it being profitable with that kind of upgrade to the base game. Maybe. I mean, Batman AC hit 70k... though they ran TV for it.

quite possible as deep down its a good game and they've certainly put in the effort, i think the best chance of success they have is to hope nintendo doesnt drop a new game in may as currently may is just late port month (this, revelaitions, sniper elite, lego batman)

True, but most don't seem to get that. Look at the first few pages of this thread, lots of third party blaming. We'll see if these people put their money where their mouths are for a change after playing the persecution complex card that all these companies have some Wii U vendetta. I'm guessing they'll find something to nitpick at after the fact to blame poor sales on how bad the game is, instead of the userbase not being there.

I should rephrase that, the lack of sales and thus lack of further support would sadden me, but for this game individually I don't care.
I'll take all the support I can get, especially if they are paying attention to it and not just slapping it on the system. But as for sales? Short of it being deemed stupid for publishers to put games on it, I don't care either way. A game that sells 10 million copies can be worse than a game that sells 10.

TheNatural

My Member!
Oh look, preemptive damage control for damage control. And I love the implication that complaints about how ports have been handled on Wii U are just baseless excuses. You know, because shit like ME3 at full price as the trilogy releases on other consoles would totally fly on some other platform. :p

The game stands to bomb because it's a year and a half old port being released for nearly full price. That's a tough pill to swallow regardless of the platform. And frankly Wii U owners have a right to be pissed about the way publishers have been handling multi-platform releases (late, overpriced, buggy). At least this one looks like more of a good faith effort, but given that the fanbase for the series has probably long since moved on it's not a stretch to assume it'll get a lukewarm reception, especially if it's ultimately headed to other systems, which seems likely.

OK if your logic is correct here, that Wii U owners aren't buying because they're all one giant super informed consumer watchdog group that sits on the internet and obsesses about what they're not getting from other versions, then suffice to say come fall no one will buy Wind Waker HD under the same logic?

A game that released a decade ago, and hit the Player's Choice line, even with upgrades Nintendo shouldn't charge full price - correct? And it should bomb as well - correct? Lets apply the same standards here.

thefro

Wow, there's a lot of nice little features detailed in the Ubisoft blog. This sounds like it's probably going to be the best "late port" on the system.

Really the only thing missing is an extra mission or two (maybe the Montreal hub they had originally planned), but with the DLC the game is plenty long enough as it is.

sfried

At least this one looks like more of a good faith effort, but given that the fanbase for the series has probably long since moved on it's not a stretch to assume it'll get a lukewarm reception, especially if it's ultimately headed to other systems, which seems likely based on their PR non-response.

So, in essence, are you insinuating Wii U owners shouldn't get this on the basis that anybody who has a PS3/XBox360/good enough PC should have this game already? I happen to own a version already (OnLive), and I don't mind the double dip for the significantly redesigned aspects of the game and WiiU GamePad features.

I guess it helps it's cheaper than most other WiiU games at the moment. Same reason I got NFS:MWU from the sale.

OK if your logic is correct here, that Wii U owners aren't buying because they're all one giant super informed consumer watchdog group that sits on the internet and obsesses about what they're not getting from other versions, then suffice to say come fall no one will buy Wind Waker HD under the same logic?

A game that released a decade ago, and hit the Player's Choice line, even with upgrades Nintendo shouldn't charge full price - correct? And it should bomb as well - correct? Lets apply the same standards here.
Not sure I have a rebuttal for such an airtight argument. As a bare bones port available on other platforms for 1/3 the price I guess I fully expect WW to bomb. I mean, logically.
So, in essence, are you insinuating Wii U owners shouldn't get this on the basis that anybody who has a PS3/XBox360/good enough PC should have this game already? I happen to own a version already (OnLive), and I don't mind the double dip for the significantly redesigned aspects of the game and WiiU GamePad features.

I guess it helps it's cheaper than most other WiiU games at the moment. Same reason I got NFS:MWU from the sale.
Not at all. People should get whatever they want. I'm just saying there's legitimite reasons for discontent with the porting situation on Wii U thus far, and that mitigating factors could legitimately affect potential sales without it meaning the great unwashed masses of Nintendo fans don't care about real games (tm).

majik13

I dont think it will do good numbers compared to the original. Considering it is an old port on a small userbase.

But I wonder how high or little the budget will be for this game considering it is just a port. And hopefully they will make a decent profit to further invest in the system.

sfried

Not sure I have a rebuttal for such an airtight argument. As a bare bones port available on other platforms for 1/3 the price I guess I fully expect WW to bomb. I mean, logically.
Would they make a barebones port though? I mean, already from the shots, it looks like they will be changing stuff...

TheNatural

My Member!

Your point was old games shouldn't be full price, that's basically what you were saying. Apply the same standards.

Listen, Wind Waker is one of my favorite games ever. If I had a Wii U, I would get that? Probably. Would I get Deus Ex? Fuck no.

But if I did, I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up people's asses as if why third party games not selling is one big game of operant conditioning by a super informed user base that is nitpicking apart any small difference they can find on another platform; and not the fact that the userbase bought the system to play Nintendo games and little else.

Frodo

Well, if you are talking about WW, I do expect Nintendo does not release it at full price. Even if it is a complete remake on the visual front, and not just some upgrade.

Weng

Why is nobody complaining that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is just an expanded port of a 3 (4 if you go by the japanese release date) year old game?

Frodo

Why is nobody complaining that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is just an expanded port of a 3 (4 if you go buy the japanese release date) year old game?

Maybe because everyone already expects MoHun to be ported to death to every single platform (but Vita). Or maybe because it was announced a hundred years ago. Dunno.

TheNatural

My Member!
Why is nobody complaining that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is just an expanded port of a 3 (4 if you go buy the japanese release date) year old game?

Because it's a game more in line with Nintendo owners taste than this type of game. But if they admitted that, and admitted that they really only own a Nintendo platform to play Nintendo games, they wouldn't be able to bitch when yet another developer says they're not bringing a game over that they may want to play - such as a Grand Theft Auto or what have you.

Why is nobody complaining that Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is just an expanded port of a 3 (4 if you go by the japanese release date) year old game?

Perhaps because this is a thread on Deus Ex and not Monster Hunter...

I am getting this game, it is freaking amazing and I am looking forward to the revamped stuff.

A remake isn't the same as an enhanced port. That's a stupid comparison. Not to mention, you don't know what they're charging for WW, and can't just discredit the fact that Zelda is more popular than DE. In fact, there are a wealth of reasons that make that comparison nonsense.

Also, I would say that the type of people to buy consoles at launch usually are well informed...

Wallach

The more I think about the way they describe some of these features, the more I consider buying a Wii U. It actually makes the pad sound pretty neat.

DrWong

A remake isn't the same as an enhanced port. That's a stupid comparison. Not to mention, you don't know what they're charging for WW, and can't just discredit the fact that Zelda is more popular than DE. In fact, there are a wealth of reasons that make that comparison nonsense.

Also, I would say that the type of people to buy consoles at launch usually are well informed...

BUT ADMIT IT! ADMIT YOU'RE SOMEONE WHO'S WRONG ON THE INTERNET!

While Batman was an older port, it works as a stand-alone product much better than Mass Effect 3. Coupled with the announcement of Mass Effect Trilogy...why would any Wii U owner consider ME3?

Top Bottom