• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

Evo X

I wish they didn't even offer MSAA in this game.

It would have reduced a ton of the complaining and the TAA is amazing anyway.

Vuze

I wish they didn't even offer MSAA in this game.

It would have reduced a ton of the complaining and the TAA is amazing anyway.
I think the main problem is that they enabled MSAA in the presets. A lot of people seem to be illiterate on how specific settings impact performance and as such immediately complain about performance problems without further investigation.

Is it just me or does this game have a ton of aliasing on hard edges even at high res?

Running at 1440p with 2XMSAA right now, plus temporal AA, and the game is definitely not as clean as I would expect. Bumped it up to 4K, which usually kills all AA issues to my eye, and there was still a bunch of shimmering on fences and brick walls in Prague.

Is there something I can do in Nvidia CP to combat this? Or is it the nature of this game?
Game looks very clean to me at 1440p with only TAA, I really can't say I've seen any irritating shimmering in 19h.

nOoblet16

I think the main problem is that they enabled MSAA in the presets. A lot of people seem to be illiterate on how specific settings impact performance and as such immediately complain about performance problems without further investigation.
Yea this is the issue, presets should not touch AA settings. That's like changing resolution with presets.

Because there will be some people who will feel pissed thst they have to "turn off" a setting after they picked ultra...and then they'll make a comment here about how the game doesn't even look that good to be that demanding :p

You still can't use Ubersampling in Wither 2 to get stable FPS even today and that setting if I remember it correctly was not part of the preset.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Is it just me or does this game have a ton of aliasing on hard edges even at high res?

Running at 1440p with 2XMSAA right now, plus temporal AA, and the game is definitely not as clean as I would expect. Bumped it up to 4K, which usually kills all AA issues to my eye, and there was still a bunch of shimmering on fences and brick walls in Prague.

Is there something I can do in Nvidia CP to combat this? Or is it the nature of this game?

bee

anyone playing in 3d vision? don't have the game but was wondering on the performance in 3d, from what i've read on the nvidia forums it has the possibly the best implementation of 3d on pc (without mods), even going as far to include offset 3d (dominant eye) when aiming! probably pick it up if performance is decent

Can anyone tell me whats the most cpu intensive thing I can turn down? I'm getting bottlenecked by my i5 3570, and i'm dropping to 55fps in outdoor areas.

BigTnaples

Anyone get an odd drop in Performence in Jensens apartment compared to the rest of the game? Even just a video call where there isn't much going on on screen, drops my frames in half. Thought maybe it was the volumetric lighting, but it isn't.(turning off had no effect) As soon asI get back out into Prague, the Framerate is back to normal.

Anyone get an odd drop in Performence in Jensens apartment compared to the rest of the game? Even just a video call where there isn't much going on on screen, drops my frames in half. Thought maybe it was the volumetric lighting, but it isn't.(turning off had no effect) As soon asI get back out into Prague, the Framerate is back to normal.

No, nothing like that at all in my hours of play so far.

But given the weird problems you have been reporting in this thread, is everything alright with your rig? It seems to be something is off with your rig and less so the game based upon all the things you have posted.

BigTnaples

No, nothing lik ehtat at all in my hours of play so far.

But given the weird problems you have been reporting in this thread, is everything alright with your rig? It seems to be something is off with your rig and less so the game based upon all the things you have posted.

Something was off with my rig, over heating CPU was causing my 3770k to down clock to 800mhz in game. Took out the heatsink and applied some new thermal paste. Temps went from 104c under load to 65c under load. Now I am getting great performence in the game overall at very high/ultra 1440p with 2xMSAA and temporal AA.

Just noticed a weird drop when inside Jensens apartment. (Even looking out the bathroom window made the Framerate go back up to normal).

Not a big deal since I won't be in there too often, and when I am, the Framerate isn't a big deal. Just an observation.

Axial

Anyone get an odd drop in Performence in Jensens apartment compared to the rest of the game?
Only frame drop i get is when panning the camera across the windows with half open shades in the main living room of Jensens apartment. Surprisingly enough these slowdowns/hitches occur only with v-sync in exclusive fullscreen mode(without v-sync this game tears like a mofo), borderless is generally alot smoother in that area with no drops but the overall fps are a bit lower in borderless fullscreen :/

One more thing I noticed when running the game without v-sync is that borderless mode still had some form of syncing applied, is this a normal thing in Windows 10?

Nzyme32

Fix for 16:10 (or other ratios) users where the aspect ratio is not respected in exclusive fullscreen:

- Run Regedit
- Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Eidos Montreal > Deus Ex: MD > Graphics
- Edit the AspectRatio setting. Switch it to decimal and calculate the value from the aspect ratio you will use. For example for a 16:10 resolution, divide 16 by 10 = 1.6 then multiply by 1000 for the value you need - so in this case 1600.

w0s

Anyone getting an error saying the content server is unavailable and it won't launch ?

Won't launch in offline mode.
Checked to see if there was a proxy set on my internet.
Reset my internet options.
Tried running steam as administrator.
Changed my server location several times.
Tried verifying integrity of deus ex but it just hangs.

Pretty much everything the Internet said. any help would be gear. I also noticed that it has never uploaded my cloud saves. Wtf.

BigTnaples

Anyone getting an error saying the content server is unavailable and it won't launch ?

Won't launch in offline mode.
Checked to see if there was a proxy set on my internet.
Reset my internet options.
Tried running steam as administrator.
Changed my server location several times.
Tried verifying integrity of deus ex but it just hangs.

Pretty much everything the Internet said. any help would be gear. I also noticed that it has never uploaded my cloud saves. Wtf.

Did you change your server specifically to Vietnam? Changing it to some regions does nothing.

This message is now stuck for me ... I thought they fixed this?
337000_20160827tpuuarvyfh.jpg

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
GTX 970 + 2500k stock and I can't get the game to run without stuttering. I'm not even talking 60fps here.

I think I'm going to wait a bit for a patch hopefully, and if that doesn't happen I'll put up with it I guess. .-.

Diancecht

GTX 970 + 2500k stock and I can't get the game to run without stuttering. I'm not even talking 60fps here.

I think I'm going to wait a bit for a patch hopefully, and if that doesn't happen I'll put up with it I guess. .-.

Ultra setting for the textures kills my 980ti with stuttering. Make sure you set textures to High with 970.

heringer

Yeah, I coudn't get rid of stuttering either. Gave up on trying.

Any place outside of Prague is fine, but in Prague is kind of terrible, specially the moments after using the subway.

Wag

Currently doom is a pinnacle of optimization on PC, (almost) nothing compares favorably to Doom. Maybe BF4 and Division.

Does Doom support SLI yet? MGS V does.

Mad Max is well optimized as well, and runs like a dream @ 4k on my 3x 980Ti setup.

jorimt

Now I am getting great performence in the game overall at very high/ultra 1440p with 2xMSAA and temporal AA..

I have a hard time running the game above 35 fps in some areas on an overclocked i7-4770k/980 Ti at Ultra settings with 2x MSAA. Disable 2x MSAA and keep TAA on. TAA actually handles more forms of aliasing by itself than MSAA in this game anyway.

jorimt

Ultra setting for the textures kills my 980ti with stuttering. Make sure you set textures to High with 970.

Yeah, I coudn't get rid of stuttering either. Gave up on trying.

Any place outside of Prague is fine, but in Prague is kind of terrible, specially the moments after using the subway.

Ultra also makes my 980 Ti stutter
I think it uses more than 6GB of VRAM

980 Ti here as well. I'm running at 1440p w/Ultra textures, and mine isn't going over 6GB of VRAM of usage at any point. It is however, getting pretty close at times. I believe the game caches as many textures as your VRAM capacity can handle, thus the higher VRAM usage, no matter the setting.

I also don't think the occasional stutter we're experiencing is due to VRAM, it's simply stutter due to streaming assets, which I've only had outdoors in the Prague hub so far. That, and I've lowered my texture quality before, and it did nothing to correct the stutter in affected areas.

Machina

Banned
I don't know what's going on, but right now I can't download the latest patch on Steam. The download just doesn't even start

jorimt

Just saw this after replying to another post of yours. I don't think MSAA is supposed to be enabled with TAA to begin with. You may be breaking TAA coverage with MSAA on; I get none of what your describing with TAA on only, and you shouldn't be either. You're frames are also going to increase significantly with MSAA off.

Arkanius

I have 980Ti and can run Ultra textures without any stutters @ 1080p.

i have an EVGA SC 980ti and i OCd a little and its no issue for me to be honest

980 Ti here as well. I'm running at 1440p w/Ultra textures, and mine isn't going over 6GB of VRAM of usage at any point. It is however, getting pretty close at times. I believe the game caches as many textures as your VRAM capacity can handle, thus the higher VRAM usage, no matter the setting.

I also don't think the occasional stutter we're experiencing is due to VRAM, it's simply stutter due to streaming assets, which I've only had outdoors in the Prague hub so far. That, and I've lowered my texture quality before, and it did nothing to correct the stutter in affected areas.

I remember trying the Ultra textures and getting a lot of stuttering outside in Prague.
I'll raise them to Ultra and give it a go.

Tovarisc

I remember trying the Ultra textures and getting a lot of stuttering outside in Prague.
I'll raise them to Ultra and give it a go.

Full disclosure; I dropped from Ultra to Very High to save VRAM and I notice literally no difference between those two settings. Most likely Ultra textures pay off only at resolutions like 4k.

Edit: Didn't drop because it was causing issues, just that... no obvious difference so why to "waste" resources?

jorimt

Uh I know what it all does. Mankind Divided uses tessellation too but it chooses to use POM for surface instead and while ROTR uses tessellation for surface and snow deformation to provide depth the application is not as liberal as the POM you see in MD...if it did then that would cause performance issues. It's like apples to oranges here. I get that POM is an illusion and tessellation isn't but that's a different story, I am instead talking about one high end shader feature used everywhere vs one high end geometry modifying feature used (comparatively) less liberally.

ROTR also has a broken PBR and it does not use volumetric lights as much as MD. There's also the fact about geometric density and moveable objects... ROTR simply does not compare here. And then you have pure hair, which again while not as advanced as the hair solution in ROTR is atleast used liberally again on everyone whereas only Lara had the special hair treatment.

I'd also say the SSR seen in MD is the best I've seen in any game...and that includes ROTR ofcourse.

After re-reading your last reply to me (^above^), I realized I may have been hasty in my response to you yesterday, and am going to try to amend it; while I sometimes attempt to correct others, I don't mind correcting myself when possible.

So, let's try this again (warning: minor wall of text incoming)...

Point #1: Yes, MD uses tessellation for character models only. It also currently creates smearing and unintended transparency on certain NPC face models. When compared to RotTR's use of tessellation, it is not technically impressive, as it doesn't function as intended (although it can and hopefully will be amended in a future patch).

Point #2: Yes, MD uses POM for surfaces in place of tessellation. This is not technically impressive, no matter how many surfaces it is applied to, or how good it looks, since it is virtually free performance-wise in this game. RotTR uses physically-based tessellation for every surface that is deformed (EDIT: or more clearly, uses tessellation to geometrically deform surfaces), and thus is technically impressive. This is not "like apples to oranges here"; POM is the cheaper alternative to tessellation in this case, and thus directly compares to it at a technical level, tessellation being the more technically impressive.

Point #3: Ive seen nothing about RotTR having "broken PBR." Please provide a source when making claims like that.

Point #4: Volumetric lighting is used just as much, if not more frequently in RotTR when directly compared to MD, and at the very least, matches the quality.

Point #5: This is where I realized where we were miscommunicating. When you say "There's also the fact about geometric density and moveable objects...ROTR simply does not compare here," you're getting "technical" mixed up with "design." First of all, when you're referring to "geometric density," I can only assume you mean the amount of detail in the MD's objects strewn throughout the environment, and I can only agree; I've never seen so much detail in every single pedestrian object I've come across in any other game when directly compared to MD. It is impressive, just not on a technical level. Any decent engine can do this if it prioritizes object detail within small, condensed areas, as opposed to RotTR, with it's priority on larger environments in a 3rd person perspective. That is comparing apples and oranges; It doesn't take more geometry to achieve this, just a shift in priority. Thus, it isn't, you guessed it, technically impressive, but instead, an excellent design choice for this specific game.

Point #6: Your point on moveable objects, is again, a design feature, not a technical one. MD, RotTR, and The Witcher 3 all have physics system. And I don't know if you've actually played RotTR, but several of the tombs have puzzles where you have to move crates, or break them open with your ice pick for parts. Just because MD uses its physics system in a creative way (Half-Life 2 did this over a decade ago), does not make it more technically impressive than the physics systems featured in RotTR or The Witcher 3.

Point #7: Yes, the PureHair in RotTR is used only on Lara. I don't know the name of the hair tech being used in MD, and I don't know for a fact it is being used on every single character model. I think we can both agree, while it's more than adequate in MD, it isn't as technically impressive as RotTR's PureHair.

Point #8: While MD's SSR is arguably used on more surfaces, I don't yet see how it's better than RotTR's. Without further investigation, I'd call it a wash.

Finally, to wrap up what you didn't address, MD's AO solution simply doesn't compare to RotTR's HBAO+ and VXAO solutions, nor does its cheaper DoF when compared to RotTR's bokeh effect. That, and MD's CHS, Very High Shadows, and Very High AO settings aren't functioning as intended, currently (in many, but not all scenarios) making the game look worse than on lower settings. And I'm not even going to get into MD's animations issues during conversations, since RotTR comes nowhere close to using that format in-game. On the flipside, RotTR has very poor post-processing AA solutions when directly compared to MD's TAA, MD arguably has above average texture work, and I'll admit it, paired with TAA, MD's PBR does look very nice.

I'm not even saying RotTR is a great looking game, it doesn't even have to be in order to be technically impressive. Heck, I don't really even like it personally. My point is, when it comes to future-proofed, proprietary effects that function impressively on a behind-the-scenes, number-crunching technical level, RotTR simply wins.

That said, sans the inferior AO and DoF, I find MD every bit as visually attractive, if not more so than RotTR. And, personally, on a story/gameplay/design front, there is no comparison here; MD wins.

Clearer?

Newboi

Anyone else having trouble getting the new patch to download? I can't load the game up on steam because it's queued to have a patch downloaded, but won't. Why not let me play the un-patched version while the new patch is downloading then apply the patch after I quit the game?

Top Bottom