• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

dEvAnGeL

im holding out until the game gets fixed, it has a serious streaming issue, even with all the settings set to the lowest i still get drops to 50s on places that aren't even graphically intensive and it goes right back up, definitely did not expect this kind of mess after the solid port ROTTR was from nixxes

Well this is great news for me if true as i'm running a 780Ti SLI Rig, so i need every ounce out of it.

They did not change the SLI bits, or if they did you still want the Overwatch profile. How Nvidia can provide such a bad choice in the default bits is clearly a way to shoot performance in the ass and sell more cards. I get 20-30 more fps and a hell of a lot less stuttering with the Overwatch profile.

Sanctuary

Any idea what's up with the faces of most NPCs when they animate, especially while moving their heads from side to side or up and down? The world looks really nice, and most everything is pretty detailed, but whenever a non essential, or quest NPC talks, they end up doing what looks like a really bad case of old school ghosting and almost transparent. I haven't seen anything like this in over a decade.

edit: I guess it's a tessellation issue. Does having it off have any appreciable impact otherwise?

They did not change the SLI bits, or if they did you still want the Overwatch profile. How Nvidia can provide such a bad choice in the default bits is clearly a way to shoot performance in the ass and sell more cards. I get 20-30 more fps and a hell of a lot less stuttering with the Overwatch profile.

I had no idea about this.

Is the Overwatch profile the best one to use?

Why people aren't reading the OP? Sigh.

Because in the OP it says "change the SLI compatibility bit in the game's driver profile to 0x2C0120F5" and honestly, im not even sure how to easily find that number in the giant list. It's not as easy as searching for the game name (After the number in brackets in my Inspector version).

Having a nice fellow gaffer explain that it was in fact the overwatch profile gave me the extra info i needed to change that in about 3 seconds.

I skimmed over it in the OP because there was also no context as to how much better it made it, were there any downsides or issues introduced etc...

Perhaps don't assume people are just stupid and actually just want the valuable first hand information of others who have already tried something,

On the plus side, i just changed the bits to the Overwatch profile, ran the in-game benchmark and there was a drastic decrease in stuttering and it ran about 10fps faster.

Vira

Neo Member
Has anybody else on PC seen a weird shadows/ambient occlusion bug where when opening a menu, like the main menu, and returning to the game the shadows are bugged out smudgy black blobs that dissapate once you move the camera?

Nvidia hardware, latest drivers. Trying to identify if my 1080 is fucked.

I get the exact same thing, and for a moment I was worried my 1070 is kicking the bucket, but it would seem it's the game, not the card. If I put AO to off the problem goes away, but the trouble is the game looks very flat without any form of AO.
Hopefully this gets sorted soon.

demon326

I upgrade my 2500k@4.3 to a 6700k@4.5 and 16GB memory instead of 8GB, games is very smooth now, no more cpu bottleneck and fps is 99% of the time 60 with a drop to 57 at max :)

Dalibor68

Banned
980GTX 4GB
16gb RAM

getting 55-60fps on High Preset @1080p, but activating MSAA 2x makes performance drop to 30s lol. What the hell? So I guess now it's either blurry vs jaggies. This pisses me off so much, there has to be a better AA method.

ISee

980GTX 4GB
16gb RAM

getting 55-60fps on High Preset @1080p, but activating MSAA 2x makes performance drop to 30s lol. What the hell? So I guess now it's either blurry vs jaggies. This pisses me off so much, there has to be a better AA method.

Try to deactivate cloth physics to give your CPU a bit more breathing room. Also TAA + Lumasharpen (if not set too aggressive) via reshade did the trick for me to improve the bluriness issue . Can't post a picture for you (at work atm) but there are some if you go back a couple of pages.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because in the OP it says "change the SLI compatibility bit in the game's driver profile to 0x2C0120F5" and honestly, im not even sure how to easily find that number in the giant list. It's not as easy as searching for the game name (After the number in brackets in my Inspector version).

Having a nice fellow gaffer explain that it was in fact the overwatch profile gave me the extra info i needed to change that in about 3 seconds.

Ah, I didn't realise you have to select the bits from pre-determined options.

Edit: Oh, wait, you don't.

SimplexPL

980GTX 4GB
16gb RAM

You're not really missing much without MSAA 2x, the coverage is really poor as evidenced here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016...divided_performance_iq_preview/7#.V8f8p3V95t8

Go for TAA + Lumasharpen, as per previous suggestions. Also downsample from higher res if your hardware can handle it.

980GTX 4GB
16gb RAM

There really isn't. MSAA in deferred renderers is very expensive and usually has poor coverage to the point that I don't think it should be even given as an option to people who still think that's the AA to use. DX already has a solid TAA method, which is the best option outside using supersampling/downsampling which is even more expensive than MSAA. Alternatively you can use something like reshade and use a post process aa + sharpen of your choice, but those will affect HUD and text.

Ah, I didn't realise you have to select the bits from pre-determined options.

Edit: Oh, wait, you don't.

So i could actually just copy and past the number directly in there, and it would work? Assuming the number was correct and had a corresponding SLI bit?

If so, that's really handy to know. The Inspector user interface is pretty horrendous. I never fully understand what i'm doing in it.

980GTX 4GB
16gb RAM

The reason why MSAA halves your fps is because their multisample anti-aliasing is likely a brute force implementation, and thus, very demanding. Eidos themselves suggest MSAA turned off.

JohngPR

I know that you are able to skip the intro screens now but is there a way to specifically skip the AMD one? It's super loud and obnoxious. Also, does everyone elses stay on a black screen for a few secs before it starts showing the intro screens?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So i could actually just copy and past the number directly in there, and it would work? Assuming the number was correct and had a corresponding SLI bit?

If so, that's really handy to know. The Inspector user interface is pretty horrendous. I never fully understand what i'm doing in it.

Yeah. I mean, I haven't used SLI myself since the 670, but if you search Google Images for Nvidia Inspector SLI, you'll see a whole host of screenshots showing only the bits. I'd guess that the description is irrelevant as it doesn't change the hex value.

jorimt

I know that you are able to skip the intro screens now but is there a way to specifically skip the AMD one? It's super loud and obnoxious. Also, does everyone elses stay on a black screen for a few secs before it starts showing the intro screens?

I can't skip the AMD intro either, instead of a single space press on each of the remaining movies, I have to spam the key for them to skip, and yes, upon launch, I get several seconds of black screen before the AMD intro begins.

JohngPR

Mindman

So has anyone else noticed that this game has a grainy look, almost like it uses film grain? A quick Google search reveals others have noticed it, but it may or may not be a film grain filter that's causing it. According to Kaldaein's posts over in this gem on the Steam forums, the grain is a result of the physically-based rendering used in the game. Of course the others refute the claim and say it's traditional film grain, which makes it an entertaining thread to read but it ends without a seemingly solid explanation. It's not caused by the sharpening filter or any other setting either.

So has anyone else noticed that this game has a grainy look, almost like it uses film grain? A quick Google search reveals others have noticed it, but it may or may not be a film grain filter that's causing it. According to Kaldaein's posts over in this gem on the Steam forums, the grain is a result of the physically-based rendering used in the game. Of course the others refute the claim and say it's traditional film grain, which makes it an entertaining thread to read but it ends without a seemingly solid explanation. It's not caused by the sharpening filter or any other setting either.

A 4k display is not ideal for judging stuff like film grain. Of course the grain would be more visible on lower resolution displays

JohngPR

I started to notice the film grain when I added Lumasharpen via SweetFX which intensified it. Needless to say, I can't use lumasharpen because it increases the effect by quite a bit, so I'm sticking to the in-game sharpening option.

KaiserAlucard

Neo Member
Anyone noticed even worse performance since Nvidia's latest drivers in SLI? I managed to be around 70fps before and now it's more like 40...
What's wrong with this game?

i7 4770K
GTX 980 SLI
16Gb Ram

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm playing the game on Ultra in 1080p with my GTX 1080 and I'm actually not stable at 60fps...

If I disable MSAA completely then I'll be at 60 most of the time but it will still dip in the high 40s from time to time... And obviously that also means that I don't have AA.

Is there anything I can do to improve FPS?

So I'm playing the game on Ultra in 1080p with my GTX 1080 and I'm actually not stable at 60fps...

If I disable MSAA completely then I'll be at 60 most of the time but it will still dip in the high 40s from time to time... And obviously that also means that I don't have AA.

Is there anything I can do to improve FPS?

No MSAA, no Contact Hardening Shadows, keep shadows on High, and Ambient Occlusion to On.

That should get you to a pretty-stable 60 (as stable as you can be in this, it still has frame drops when loading stuff). Those settings also use the best settings for Shadows and AO, as the higher values all have bugs, or artifacts.

I'd also recommend using the temporal anti-aliasing, as it does a pretty good job. Just turn off Tessellation, otherwise you'll get blurry, smeared faces.

Megasoum

Banned
No MSAA, no Contact Hardening Shadows, keep shadows on High, and Ambient Occlusion to On.

That should get you to a pretty-stable 60 (as stable as you can be in this, it still has frame drops when loading stuff). Those settings also use the best settings for Shadows and AO, as the higher values all have bugs, or artifacts.

I'd also recommend using the temporal anti-aliasing, as it does a pretty good job. Just turn off Tessellation, otherwise you'll get blurry, smeared faces.

Cool, thanks for the tips.

I'm seeing a "screen door" type of effect. I also play in 4K.

outsidah

Game keeps dropping to 5 FPS and below for me on a 1080.. this happened a time or two before but now it happens every time I play. Folks on Steam having the same issue - anyone here experiencing this and figure out a workaround?

Game keeps dropping to 5 FPS and below for me on a 1080.. this happened a time or two before but now it happens every time I play. Folks on Steam having the same issue - anyone here experiencing this and figure out a workaround?

Is the game losing "focus"? Are you playing in exclusive fullscreen? If not, give that as a try. Just a hunch.

Also, what are your GPU clocks and GPU utilisation during those moments of 5 fps.?

ISee

Set the power management mode for DXMD.exe (use program settings instead of global settings) to prefer maximum performance.

I had some crashes and weird slowdowns before, but this solved it for me.

adaptive_performancen1shw.jpg

outsidah

Set the power management mode for DXMD.exe (use program settings instead of global settings) to prefer maximum performance.

Tried this, nothing :(

Is the game losing "focus"? Are you playing in exclusive fullscreen? If not, give that as a try. Just a hunch.

Also, what are your GPU clocks and GPU utilisation during those moments of 5 fps.?

Yup, exclusive full screen. GPU is 100% load, 1500 MHz I believe when I looked. Tends to look like that normally.

There are a couple of threads on the Steam forums about this, but no resolution it looks like. Example: http://steamcommunity.com/app/337000/discussions/0/352792037319013297/

pa22word

I had the same thing on my 980ti until I disabled cloth physics.

is there an amd equivalent for this? i've always wanted to force 99% gpu load on some games. sometimes they sit around 70% during busy scenes when i need the fps the most.

ibn Saïd;215860747 said:
is there an amd equivalent for this? i've always wanted to force 99% gpu load on some games. sometimes they sit around 70% during busy scenes when i need the fps the most.

Isn't it just power-saving on/off?

I noticed a lot of throttling and low usage with it on, turned it off and it's working much harder/better.

Edit: I should add, that's based on my experience with Overwatch. Not Deus Ex. But it should have a similar effect.

pa22word

The the stuttering is a result of memory being used up?

I have 16gb and some sections in Prague I will get stuttering. 980ti.
A good time to note that rec specs doesn't mean Max. For all we know the game could need like 32 GBs of ram to seamlessly load the full map due to the streaming tech they use.

Sanctuary

What other games have textures that are as good, or better than what's in this game? I keep reading "the graphics aren't even good enough to warrant the performance issues". Well, maybe it isn't optimized, but I've yet to have any noticeable drops below 60fps, aside from some very infrequent and odd drops, and I'm still stunned at how great the texture work in this game is.

dr_rus

What other games have textures that are as good, or better than what's in this game? I keep reading "the graphics aren't even good enough to warrant the performance issues". Well, maybe it isn't optimized, but I've yet to have any noticeable drops below 60fps, aside from some very infrequent and odd drops, and I'm still stunned at how great the texture work in this game is.

Pretty much any AAA game of the last year or so has better textures than DXMD. There are exceptions, of course.

Sanctuary

Pretty much any AAA game of the last year or so has better textures than DXMD. There are exceptions, of course.

So like what exactly besides Hitman? The only AAA games that I've purchased since last May besides this were The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Haven't actually played Arkham Knight yet, but neither of the other two games had a similar level of detail in the textures.

dr_rus

So like what exactly besides Hitman? The only AAA games that I've purchased since last May besides this were The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Haven't actually played Arkham Knight yet, but neither of the other two games had a similar level of detail in the textures.

You must be doing something wrong with their settings then as all these games have better texture resolutions and variety than that of DXMD. Well, I would probably put RoTTR somewhere in-between DXMD and the rest of them but it's still better in general.

SimplexPL

Depends on how you interpret "we expect to release DX12 support on the week of September 5th". They did not explicitly say 'on September 5th'.

Top Bottom