• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

mcmmaster

Currently dealing with a crash on the PC version whilst on the loading screen when returning to Prague after mission
13 (g.a.r.m)
, tried lowering my settings but it keeps crashing.

Anyone know of a fix?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
FPS is all over the place in Prague during curfew, especially around the second station (the one in the middle of the map) with lots of people in cages and cops walking around. I've drops to mid 30s there for Christ's sake. Fix this shit Nixxes!

I'm just glad that MSI Afterburner now works in DX12 so I can see this really curious and mysterious "bug" which causes "performance regressions on some high-end cards" (read: gimped on Nvidia because only they sell "high-end cards") for myself.

FPS is all over the place in Prague during curfew, especially around the second station (the one in the middle of the map) with lots of people in cages and cops walking around. I've drops to mid 30s there for Christ's sake. Fix this shit Nixxes!

Uh, you should probably spoiler tag some parts of that.

All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the DX12 computer core, JEN-HSUN WAS LAUGHING

http://techreport.com/review/30639/...x-12-performance-in-deus-ex-mankind-divided/3

The Radeons' lackluster 99th-percentile frame-time numbers in this test are corroborated by our "time-spent-beyond-X" graphs. In total, both of the red teams' cards spend half a second working on frames that take more than 50 ms to render, and that means an unpleasantly rough gameplay experience while DirectX 12 is enabled. If I hadn't been collecting data for this article, I would have immediately unticked the DirectX 12 checkbox in DXMD's options and gone back to the smooth sailing that the game's DX11 mode offers on all of these cards.

Click over to the time-spent-beyond-33.3-ms graph, and we can see that both Radeons spend a full second working on frames that take longer than that to render. Again, that means we're spending quite a bit of time below 30 FPS during our one-minute testing period, a noticeable blot on these cards' smoothness. The Fury X's monster shader array doesn't seem to be much help here—it's only a bit better off than the RX 480.

So far we're 0-for-whatever on DX12 titles actually providing a better experience on anybody's hardware. The DX12 revolution is in full swing y'all

SimplexPL

This is just a beta, I'm sure this will all be fixed in the full version! (not)

4.3.0 Beta 14

Thanks a lot. I have automatic check for updates, check for beta version option enabled, and it still tells me that there is no new version (I am on beta 4). Weird.

Screenshot%202016-09-11%2009.46.46.png

Eh, I got tired of waiting for a real performance patch which probably won't ever come and just finished the game. It's a good game but the technical quality is so lacking. It's actually a very good looking game when the graphics aren't glitching out everywhere. We'll never know if the game could have been technically better as an Nvidia sponsored product but I guess it doesn't matter now.

It's going on the shelf for now, maybe in a few months after some more patches, I'll try another playthrough.

Mechazawa

I don't understand how they have people testing this on m/kb and then ship the game without being able to change walking from toggle to hold :/

You need to walk in, like, 3 sections of this game. It approaches 0 if you have the wireless hacking.

That particular mechanic has been so consistently useless and underutilized in this series(and not to mention poorly explained) that I don't understand why they didn't drop that stuff altogether.

You need to walk in, like, 3 sections of this game. It approaches 0 if you have the wireless hacking.

That particular mechanic has been so consistently useless and underutilized in this series(and not to mention poorly explained) that I don't understand why they didn't drop that stuff altogether.

Huh? It's more about not running around at full speed when navigating small environments and searching for PDAs in closets and stuff. The way Human Revolution handled it was perfect, a lot about the movement and controls just felt much better in that game.

Pagusas

Elden Member

What? I walk 99.9% of the game. I play on a Xbox One controller like I imagine most people do though. I always play no-kill ghost

Mechazawa

Huh? It's more about not running around at full speed when navigating small environments and searching for PDAs in closets and stuff. The way Human Revolution handled it was perfect, a lot about the movement and controls just felt much better in that game.

I guess I could see wanting a little more granularity while rummaging through office junk, but if it wasn't for the rare mine, I don't think barely anyone would even be aware of the existence of the walk key.

What? I walk 99.9% of the game. I play on a Xbox One controller like I imagine most people do though. I always play no-kill ghost

You did not play through 99% of the game at walk speed. We're talking about the literal equivalent of barely pushing your analog stick in.

pa22word

I never used walking once in the entire game. I accidentally turned it on one time and thought the game was bugging out on me, but other than that *shrug*

Pagusas

Elden Member
I guess I could see wanting a little more granularity while rummaging through office junk, but if it wasn't for the rare mine, I don't think barely anyone would even be aware of the existence of the walk key.

You did not play through 99% of the game at walk speed. We're talking about the literal equivalent of barely pushing your analog stick in.

wait there is more than walk/run? I mean I know its a gradual change in speed, but I never ran anywhere except in the very last objective to get the best ending.

How much RAM-usage are people seeing?

I thought 32GB could help with the stuttering, but it most certainly doesn't. It's still hovering around 7GB.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I thought my 2GB card (960 GTX) was holding my performance back, but I just upgraded my CPU from an i3-2100 to an i5-6500, and what a difference!

Even with a 2GB card I'm playing the game pretty much locked at 60fps with the following settings, with dips no lower than 45fps in certain hot spots, like the middle of TF29 and a couple of areas in Prague.

Fullscreen: On
Exclusive Fullscreen: On
Resolution: 1680x1050
MSAA: Off
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
VSync: Triple Buffering
Stereoscopic 3D: Off
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: 16x Anisotropic
Shadow Quality: Medium
Ambient Occlusion: On
Contact Hardening Shadows: Off
Parallax Occlusion Mapping: On
Depth of Field: Off
Level of Detail: High
Volumetric Lighting: Off
Screenspace Reflections: On
Temporal Anti-Aliasing: On
Motion Blur: Off
Sharpen: On
Bloom: On
Cloth Physics: On
Subsurface Scattering: On
Chromatic Aberration: Off
Tessellation: Off

Very happy about this. My 960 still fighting hard!

TheBear

Just tested this on my current system with everything turned up and settings on Ultra @ 1080p and got a whopping 9.8fps! The only thing I turned off was motion blur because fuck motion blur.

My system:

Nvidia Driver: 372.70
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
CPU: i5 4570
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX780
RAM: 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 @1600MHz

Just bought a 1070 and another 8GB of RAM. Will I be able to max this game out and achieve a solid 60fps? If not, what's a recommended setting?

Just tested this on my current system with everything turned up and settings on Ultra @ 1080p and got a whopping 9.8fps! The only thing I turned off was motion blur because fuck motion blur.

My system:

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX780
RAM: 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 @1600MHz

Just bought a 1070 and another 8GB of RAM. Will I be able to max this game out and achieve a solid 60fps? If not, what's a recommended setting?

Turn off Contact Hardening Shadows and MSAA, Volumetric lighting on High instead of Ultra.

TheTrain

I7 6700K
32GB
144Hz Gsync

80 FPS average maxed out with 2x MSAA enabled (Necessary to avoid the shimmering with Very High AO) and no Contact Hardening cuz they are bugged as far as I know. Without MSAA i'm hovering around 100 FPS. No hitching, stuttering or something similar

Another patch is out. This one focuses on DX12 performance.

Nixxes said:
We have just released another PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.4 build 545.5_P6. This patch focusses on critical issues that were reported by users during the last week after the awaited DirectX 12 Graphics API release.

• Fixed a DirectX 12 crash at start-up.
  • Reduced DirectX 12 CPU usage for better performance.
  • Slightly reduced system memory usage.

SimplexPL

Well, yeah, but why even bother with DX12 support if you are not going to utilize it's biggest benefit. Especially since there is absolutely no visual difference between DX11 and DX12 (which is also curious, as far I remember there always were some visual benefit in new DX version - Far Cry 4, Bioshock, Company of Heroes, Deus Ex Human Revolution, etc).

We have to start somewhere, don't we? Nixxes, as well as many other developers, are still learning the rope of DX12. They now have to deal with a lot more heavy lifting stuff that drivers used to do for them. As far as I remember, DX11 early games were kind of the same. Not every dev is as proficient as ID Software.

Regarding visual improvements, I think now that we are in a phase in which technical advancements, despite being more and more complicated, are not as easy to wow us as they were before, plus the difficulty to make everything work, it makes sense that they will focus more on the performance side of things.

Things will pick up, in terms of visual and performance, obviously. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Regarding this patch, specifically, it messes up my shadows, making it flicker in a lot of places.

Back to DX11 it is.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
DX11 early games were kind of the same.
Well yes, but not all of them. DiRT 2 (the best DiRT game in my opinion) for example at a time did run very well on my PC back then with DX11 enabled.

So um.... do we still need to use beta build to use DX12 or it's not necessary anymore?

Well yes, but not all of them. DiRT 2 (the best DiRT game in my opinion) for example at a time did run very well on my PC back then with DX11 enabled.

So um.... do we still need to use beta build to use DX12 or it's not necessary anymore?
Obviously, I am not saying all early DX11 games were like that.

We have DOOM, albeit with Vulkan, has a very good implementation.
Then we have Rise of the Tomb Raider, which as far as I read, is now performing better than DX11.

My point is we just need to wait for it.
Is DX12 released into the main build yet?

You guys still need the beta branch.

can anyone with NVidia (980ti' sli) chime in on their dx12 performance?

I never had better fps using dx12 in hitman and tomb raider.

at this point in time I don't think I should even bother.

cilonen

Did they ever fix the buggy 21:9 support? Misaligned icons, black bars, etc.

21:9 was largely OK for me with icon placement during the fist play through (i7 2600k; GTX 1080) aside from a few cutscenes where Jensen is clearly supposed to be off the 16:9 viewable area but his disembodied floating eyeballs, gums and teeth are clearly still in the 21:9 frame

I did get a few annoying glitches when messing around up high in Prague, most noticeably leaving and entering Jensen's apartment or other top floor spaces where I'd get a couple of completely white frames if I made the inside / outside transition rapidly. Probably something to do with the lighting.

TheBear

Turn off Contact Hardening Shadows and MSAA, Volumetric lighting on High instead of Ultra.

I've now updated my machine and with everything cranked up I now get 15fps! Hooray! (see below)

I turned off a few of the settings as per above and managed to get a steady 49.1 fps.

Is this benchmark accurate in terms of in game performance? What do I turn off to hit 60fps? Volumetric lighting only had 3 options (off, on & Ultra)

Also, I can't select the DX12 box for some reason?

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX1070
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 @1600MHz

EDIT: Turned on 'exclusive fullscreen' and got it upto 58.1fps! (avg)
what do I need to get it to stay above 60fps?

I've now updated my machine and with everything cranked up I now get 15fps! Hooray! (see below)

I turned off a few of the settings as per above and managed to get a steady 49.1 fps.

Is this benchmark accurate in terms of in game performance? What do I turn off to hit 60fps? Volumetric lighting only had 3 options (off, on & Ultra)

Also, I can't select the DX12 box for some reason?

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX1070
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 @1600MHz

EDIT: Turned on 'exclusive fullscreen' and got it upto 58.1fps! (avg)
what do I need to get it to stay above 60fps?
The benchmark is more heavy than the actual game so just play the game instead.

You need to opt in the dx12 beta branch on Steam to enable dx12.

TheBear

The benchmark is more heavy than the actual game so just play the game instead.

You need to opt in the dx12 beta branch on Steam to enable dx12.

Ok so I probably don't need to adjust my settings then?

Judging from the comments sounds like DX12 isn't worth it, is that accurate?

ss_lemonade

Well, yeah, but why even bother with DX12 support if you are not going to utilize it's biggest benefit. Especially since there is absolutely no visual difference between DX11 and DX12 (which is also curious, as far I remember there always were some visual benefit in new DX version - Far Cry 4, Bioshock, Company of Heroes, Deus Ex Human Revolution, etc).
Crysis 1 had no difference between dx9 and dx10 right? I think dx10 was heavier to run too.

Crysis 1 had no difference between dx9 and dx10 right? I think dx10 was heavier to run too.

DX10 in Crysis 1 was used to improve graphical effects, not performance.

Up until DX12, all successive DX versions were to improve graphics capability. DX12 is the first version of DX ever which is focused on changing the underlying API design and offers no graphical improvements nor is it meant to.

The problem is that high-level APIs exist for a reason, no one thinks that switching to low-level APIs which represent more work for devs and which require considerably more optimization and careful programming to be done will magically double performance in games.

On consoles with a fixed hardware target in the hands of developers with extensive experience on this single piece of hardware, it's possible to squeeze out performance improvements that wouldn't otherwise be possible with low-level APIs. On PCs with their nearly infinite number of configurations? Sure maybe if you're Id Software. Everyone else is probably going to be getting what we're seeing with DX12 titles so far, which is almost nothing when gains are had and sometimes performance loss, not gain.

Perhaps a more cynical take is that developers have to start using DX12 in a production environment and while you might not see a benefit in early games, the knowledge gained will be used later to a more obvious benefit.

No one's going to come out and say "Don't use this mode," because the expense has to be justified to a publisher.

Ok so I probably don't need to adjust my settings then?

Judging from the comments sounds like DX12 isn't worth it, is that accurate?

Well, not for most at the moment. Not sure how your rig will fare so just test it if you want.

If I were you, I would play normally one or two times with DX11 first, to get the feel of performance and visuals, then switch to DX12, see if anything changes.

As mentioned in OP, there is one more settings that you should take a look at that is Tessellation, which when in used together with TAA will introduce smearing in faces. Tessellation is more CPU heavy and sometimes can introduce weird visual bugs so it can be the next thing to turn off in your case.

Top Bottom