• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

SimplexPL

Depends on your definition of broken. It's definitely better than on release, it's easily completable, although there are still some lingering problems. I don't remember if blurring of faces was fixed, or those specific spots where framerate tanks even on powerful rigs (cpu bound maybe?).
Maybe people that completed the game can provide more valuable information.

Nixxes released a patch on Nov 3 with this snippet:
Improved overall performance for DirectX 11 and 12.

I didn't find any updated benchmarks so I decided to check it out:

980Ti + 4770K.

DX12:
COl9ivT.jpg

DX11:
WDDPWBB.jpg

Overall seems like DX12 is in a much better state now, at least based on the benchmark. Would be cool to see if AMD GPUs have better gains than before.

DemWalls

What are your specs?

Definitely disable Contact Hardening Shadows and MSAA and go from here. Screen Space Reflection are usually taxing, so you may reduce those. You can also cap to 30fps (see OP).

Sorry, I hadn't realized the OP had all that fancy articles :p
I'll play a bit with the settings, and if I have any doubts I'll return here. In any case, thanks.

dr_rus

Overall seems like DX12 is in a much better state now, at least based on the benchmark. Would be cool to see if AMD GPUs have better gains than before.

It always was in a "pretty good state" in the built-in benchmark. Gameplay was where it crapped itself.

It always was in a "pretty good state" in the built-in benchmark. Gameplay was where it crapped itself.

I wouldn't say that. There was always a performance regression of up to 10% in minimums and average, at least in my particular setup. Now it's on par or slightly better.

In any case, the benchmark is easily a 'worst case scenario' for GPU performance, so I decided to do a 5 minute walk-around of Prague and end it with a firefight. Recorded stats with MSI Afterburner.

DX11
avg: 62.1
min: 47.8

DX12
avg: 61.6
min: 45.4

Frametimes were slightly less spiky in DX12. I didn't observe any significant drops or stutter. Take that as you will, but to me, in this game, it looks like DX12 isn't any worse than DX11 anymore.

SimplexPL

It's not worse - great. But if it's not any better, than what's the point of it even existing? Wasn't that the whole point of DX12?

SimplexPL

So those CPU bound locations in Prague no longer cause stutter/framedrop?
Very High shadows are no longer pixellated in Jensen's room?
TAA+tesselation no longer blurs faces?
Sharpening no longer oversharpens the image causing ringing artifacts?
DX12 no longer works worse than DX11?

I am only aware that the CHS bug was fixed, if all other issues were fixed too, then great, I can finally start playing it.

dr_rus

Hi everyone!

Today we are officially releasing Multi-GPU support for DirectX 12 for NVIDIA GeForce users. This will mean that the dx12_mgpu_preview Beta branch will be removed. We strongly advise players with NVIDIA GeForce Multi-GPU capable systems to make sure that you have the latest driver installed and confirm that your SLI is active in your NVIDIA Control Panel.

NVIDIA’s latest driver (375.86) will focus on fixing stability issues for Multi-GPU support for DirectX 12.

Don't hesitate to share your feedback on your experience with Multi-GPU on the forums!
http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/127619582119221509

SimplexPL

HardOCP tested DX12 after all the patches and driver releases - shocker, it's still shit:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/11/18/deus_ex_mankind_divided_dx12_performance_review/8

The simple answer is DX12 provides no performance advantage in this game from top-to-bottom, from high-end to low-end, from high resolution to low resolution. In fact, DX12 can be detrimental to performance, depending on your GPU.
(...)
look past DX12 for now. DX12 provides no performance benefit at this time according to our testing. DX12 also offers no visual differences. DX12 also consumes more VRAM. The only potential benefit would have been performance, but apparently DX12 cannot provide that in this game. Whether you are running AMD, or NVIDIA, stick with DX11 in this game and you’ll be a happy camper.

They tested the actual GAME, not the benchmark, which is know to misleadingly show that DX12 performance is better than DX11.

Thinking of buying the game today but reading snippets of this thread is giving me doubt. I don't want another ROTR situation.

How will i be able to run this? 6600k, 1060 6gb, 16gb ram and ssd.

Thanks all :)

Vex_

Banned
Ok im confused. This is the next game im tackling on my list after xcom2 and Im hearing dx12 is worse? How?

My specs:
Gtx980
i5 4690
8gb ram
Win10 latest

Dx12
I ran the benchmark and my lowest fps was 7 (there were 2 points where it paused for a second Im guessing why). My average was 57fps. My highest was 63fps.

I have everything on "high" and all else "on" except msaa and chromatic aberration. Exclusive fullscreen is on.

Should I go back to dx 11? Im hearing of this "prague" area being bad? I just want to have a decent first experience.

Ok im confused. This is the next game im tackling on my list after xcom2 and Im hearing dx12 is worse? How?

My specs:
Gtx980
i5 4690
8gb ram
Win10 latest

Dx12
I ran the benchmark and my lowest fps was 7 (there were 2 points where it paused for a second Im guessing why). My average was 57fps. My highest was 63fps.

I have everything on "high" and all else "on" except msaa and chromatic aberration. Exclusive fullscreen is on.

Should I go back to dx 11? Im hearing of this "prague" area being bad? I just want to have a decent first experience.

No one should use dx12 in this game with your cpu. The benchmark also doesnt accurately represent in game performance

Vex_

Banned
No one should use dx12 in this game with your cpu. The benchmark also doesnt accurately represent in game performance

Just wanted to report back that at the settings I posted, the game runs pretty smoothly. Im surprised actually.

Dx 12 also ran well in rottr as well for me. So I guess that makes sense.

Im wondering if I should change it to dx11 to see an even greater boost? Afraid to touch it now. Lol.

Just wanted to report back that at the settings I posted, the game runs pretty smoothly. Im surprised actually.

Dx 12 also ran well in rottr as well for me. So I guess that makes sense.

Im wondering if I should change it to dx11 to see an even greater boost? Afraid to touch it now. Lol.

it will run faster under dx11

Melubas

Got this yesterday and have been tweaking the settings abit. My rig is:

I7-4770K 3,5ghz
Windforce R9 390X 8 GB, factory overclocked.
16gb DDR3 Ram @ 1600 mhz
SSD

Putting everything at max except shadows (high), contact hardening shadows (off) and volumetric lighting (on), no MSAA, the benchmark gets me:

Min: 47 fps
Max: 63 fps
Average: 55 fps

in DirectX 12 mode at 1080p.

I'm happy with that performance to be honest. Most likely getting a bit more out of it in-game since the benchmark seems pretty demanding. There is no tearing on my screen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Have they fixed the ambient occlusion issues yet?

SimplexPL

What where the issues with AO?

I asked earlier and got no answer.
It never was.
A few specific settings (none of which even exist on consoles IIRC) were not working correctly for a week or so.
So those CPU bound locations in Prague no longer cause stutter/framedrop?
Very High shadows are no longer pixellated in Jensen's room?
TAA+tesselation no longer blurs faces?
Sharpening no longer oversharpens the image causing ringing artifacts?

Trickster

Just started playing this a noticing the framerate dropping certain places. Wondering if there are any options i could change that would give a decent framerate increase with minimal visual impact?

dr_rus

The DX12 renderer is best avoided. Even AMD cards perform better under DX11, which is interesting as I imagine it was AMD that insisted upon DX12 support due to the game being a part of its Gaming Evolved program (see: Watch Dogs 2). Talk about a misfire.

Tbh the whole DX12 is a total misfire for now. Which isn't exactly surprising for those who knew how it will go beforehand. Two games where DX12 does provide a nice boost are both PC exclusive strategy game (AOTS and TWW) and in case of one of them the boost is limited to AMD h/w only (TWW). Rest of DX12 renderers which we are able to compare to DX11 are nothing short of pointless as even when there's a gain it's usually hangs below 10%.

Tbh the whole DX12 is a total misfire for now. Which isn't exactly surprising for those who knew how it will go beforehand. Two games where DX12 does provide a nice boost are both PC exclusive strategy game (AOTS and TWW) and in case of one of them the boost is limited to AMD h/w only (TWW). Rest of DX12 renderers which we are able to compare to DX11 are nothing short of pointless as even when there's a gain it's usually hangs below 10%.

What about ROTTR, didn't that receive a boost?

Dimorphic

hmm yeah i got 16 gigs. Actually is that the 3 gig vram 1060 or 6 gig. That would probably make a huge difference.. If so you might need to turn some shit down i bet.

6GB DDR5 Turbo Asus 1060.

I get the same frame drops when I'm on medium/low.

Nail

6GB DDR5 Turbo Asus 1060.

I get the same frame drops when I'm on medium/low.

well.. i will say the minimum recommended ram is 8 gigs so maybe upgrading to 16 would maybe help.. I in fact also had 8 gb ram before going to 16 gb and the game ran like shit. But also upgraded from a 750 to a 1060 so I can't say for sure my experience would be directly applicable to yours.

SimplexPL

SimplexPL

Yeah, it was on my side. I previously removed the game from SSD without uninstalling it and steam got confused then the patch came.

Bl@de

Hi,

any tipps for the best settings to get 1440p and 60fps (at least 95% of the time)?

My system: Xeon E3-1230 v3 | GTX 980 Ti @ 1.403/3.815 MHz | 16GB DDR3 | Crucial MX100 SSD

DX11 obviously...

Found my perfect settings for solid min. 60fps (in Outdoor Praha) up to 90fps (in Buildings). Game still looks fantastic

ysj0ntekef.jpg

Top Bottom