• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided | SPOILER Thread | "I never asked for this"

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I just want to know are how many hubs/environments there are. MOst plays I saw never got out of Prague even 6 hours in.

Mifec

Poor Edward
68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6d2f64657374696e7967672f776562736974652f6d61737465722f736372697074732f656d6f7465732f656d6f7469636f6e732f44614665656c732e706e67

PC/ps4 it is. I can't wait. I even upgraded my dumpy old 580 lightning XE to a 970 for this. Was going to go 1080 but got talked off that ledge.

packy34

If he bought the game legally and didn't sign any NDA, what basis does Eidos have to claim a stream? I guess it doesn't really matter since Twitch and YouTube are going to play ball with the big publishers to keep them happy regardless...

Mifec

They can copyright claim a stream? I don't understand copyright laws...

People abuse the DMCA on YT all the time, but I guess it's like twitch where devs can rightfully block streaming of a game before the game is out.

If he bought the game legally and didn't sign any NDA, what basis does Eidos have to claim a stream? I guess it doesn't really matter since Twitch and YouTube are going to play ball with the big publishers to keep them happy regardless...

Well on twitch, twitch just blocks you because it's against their rules unless you have written permission from the dev so whatever, idk how it works on YT.

packy34

People abuse the DMCA on YT all the time, but I guess it's like twitch where devs can rightfully block streaming of a game before the game is out.

Rightfully? If someone didn't sign an NDA or an embargo agreement (they just walked into a store and paid for their own copy, early or otherwise), what possible legal ground do they have to stand on for DMCA-ing videos, impressions or streams?

Simo

Oh they finally shut him down? Surprised it took them that long. I think he streamed like almost 7 hours worth. lol I quit a couple of hours ago because it became frustrating watching him play.

Mifec

Rightfully? If someone didn't sign an NDA or an embargo agreement (they just walked into a store and paid for their own copy, early or otherwise), what possible legal ground do they have to stand on for DMCA-ing videos, impressions or streams?

Yes rightfully. Twitch offers you a platform that you can stream on, to stream on it you have to follow their rules, streaming games before the release date, without express rules from the dev is against their rules. So Twitch as a platform you stream on has every right to close your stream.

I don't agree with it either but it's been there since forever.

packy34

Yes rightfully. Twitch offers you a platform that you can stream on, to stream on it you have to follow their rules, streaming games before the release date, without express rules from the dev is against their rules. So Twitch as a platform you stream on has every right to close your stream.

I don't agree with it either but it's been there since forever.

That's just twitch, though. I'm talking about from an actual legal standpoint. We saw that Eidos claimed the videos that came from this stream, and I really don't think they have a legal/contractual justification to do so... unless we're going to submit that publishers can justly remove ANY gameplay from YouTube whenever they want (a la Nintendo), making all Let's Plays copyright infringement.

Dunan

Long-shot request here, but if any Londoners out there would like something Japan-exclusive that I could go buy for them in exchange for sending me DXHR -- or would just be willing to pick the game up for me and I'll Paypal you the cost, plus airmail to where I am, plus a small bonus, drop me a line. Amazon won't have my copy in my hands until September 19, they claim.

Retsudo

Can anyone tell me where in london is that store Simo talked about? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Simo has come through! Gonna go to the store tomorrow!

Simo

Is the Jensen's Stories a section where we'll be able to access the Season Pass Narrative DLC?

Possibly. Right now it's where you access the extra mission, Desperate Measures, that comes in the Day One content.

Also, per tradition lol, the game has been leaked/released in the UAE markets..
13652093_935244239921261_1454354733_n.jpg

14027255_174056066349634_530460206_n.jpg

Furyous

Can we talk about the gameplay ramifications of this playthrough?

At the end they mention Task Force 29 could be under attack if the hack is not stopped. I see the task force coming under attack if Jensen doesn't do anything and them fighting against another force. If Jensen stops the hack then he may come under suspicion as they discover his alliance with the JC.

The whole forgery situation reinforces the narrative that the developer outlined in the E3 walkthrough. I wonder what happens if you give the police officer the kidnapping statement instead of the forgery one. Do they capture the guy instead of killing him?

I need more info about factions and hope that desert sub plot leads to gameplay...

More walkthroughs and streams should hit the net before the week is out since people have the game.

DixieNormus

Neo Member
...well a few asked for this. Since copies are getting out there and someone is streaming this right now it's probably for the best to have a spoiler thread so we, or I anyway, aren't clogging up the other threads with black bars.

So have at it.

Quote to reveal stream link.

thanks buddy~!!

Vic_Viper

Yeah, at this point, do we know if there are any hubs besides Prague and Golem City?

Sounds like Prague is the only real Hub in the game but it's split up into 4 or 5 different areas separated by a train ride. Huge disappoint imo since the hubs with different styles were my favorite parts of HR.

Anyone know if they mention a sequel at all after the ending or is it just implied? They really should have either marketed this game as part 1 of 2 or trilogy, or created a story that gets wrapped up for each separate part. This just sounds like more adventures of Adam Jensen. Really was looking forward to having another great story like HR had. It might not have been the best story ever but atleast it kept me wanting to keep playing to find out what was going to happen next. The whole globe trotting in HR was awesome as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying day 1 but I'm just alil disappointed that they dropped the ball this time. Hope the sequel or DLC brings more to the table. Sounds like the first DLC is just something called Adam Jensen Adventures and takes place somewhere in the middle of MD.

nOoblet16

Ok so I've been trying to access the safes and vaults in the Palisade bank and so far I've managed to get key cards for Executive Safe B, the Picus vault, The vault belonging to the security company and I know where to find the card to access Tai Yong Medical's card (so basically all the vaults that are underneath the garage in front of the bank. I also have the keycode to Miller's safe and a few others but I assume those are in Executive Safe A and I don't have any key card for that...anyone know anything about that?

But more importantly, has anyone figured out how to access the corporate vaults in the bank? I've searched around everywhere in the daytime section of Prague and didn't find shit, perhaps a way pops up in the later in the night and curfew version of Prague? I did find an email where some guy got an appointment to go to the Corporate vault but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Also I accidentally knocked out Tomas Romanek, who is the bank manager with who the appointment was suppose to take place with. I then dragged his body to the lobby so that the guards can see him in hopes that someone wakes him up but they just ignore him lol.

Unless the corporate vaults are the same as the vaults underneath the garage belonging to Picus, Tai Yong and all...but they do seem to be two different locations.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just finished it. 28 hours total. Found and completed side missions 00 through 13, not sure if there are more then that.

Managed to stop both the poisoning and bomb detonation and stopped the bad guy by using his kill switch (love the DX1 callback with that).

Overall absolutely fantastic game.

shiba5

I thought the ending was fine as it sets up the next game - which I hope we get because this one was awesome.
I knew that psychiatrist was dirty.

Finished it last night too... sort of have mixed feelings myself...

First, Deus Ex is my favorite game and HR is probably close to the Top 5. That said, a lot of why I like those games is subjective... the settings and a lot of art choices are a big reason.

And for some reason... Mankind Divided just never interested me as much.

The game is really really great. By far the best world detail in the series... maybe in a game. At least on par with Novigrad in Witcher 3, and actually maybe better because in truth it just has far more hidden areas (apartments and sewers, especially)... which is to be expected since DXMD is basically just that city whereas W3 has many others. But really, it's probably the best detailed city in a game. At least in terms of 'content' ... Novigrad in W3 may be relative to the game (meaning, it's more impressive considering W3 has so many other areas PLUS Novigrad) and Los Santos in GTA5 probably still has the best overall 'shell' design. But DXMD is probably the best in terms of just how much hidden stuff you can have in one area.

The gameplay is a nice improvement... cover is super slick. Guns feel great.

That said, I play mostly HUD-less and No Alarm/Non Lethal so I never got to enjoy it all that much haha I just mostly scurry around between cover and vents while using invisibility camo lol.

Which leads me to the first thing that kinda bothered me.... feel like the game has a big issue with ... ludonarrative dissonance, I guess. I don't like to use that term if possible because I don't things it's bad per se.... games are meant to be fun after all.

But for all of DXMD's freedom and fun gameplay, I felt the story basically makes most of the stuff in the game unrealistic. Almost everything I did in the game outside of the core story missions felt at odds with the story and Adam. A lot of the side quests made no sense to do in the content of the story's urgency.

One of the things that really stuck with me throughout the game was I kept feeling like I was taking a break from the story and basically doing stuff that made no sense -- it was just fun. Super fun. Like I said, the city exploration was incredible. But ever since GTA V a few years ago, for some reason I'm more sensitive to ludonarrative dissonance.... Sleeping Dogs, too. Maybe because I liked how the wedding mission in SD made me play different, or how I found myself playing differently as Michael or Trevor finally mad 'GTA gameplay' fit the 'GTA story.'

It never really bothered me in DX before even... not even in DX HR. But for some reason, maybe because the game rewards it even more (or it just has even more, so if you don't do it you feel like you're missing out)...

I think that's it, actually... the game in a way almost has too much optional hidden areas because maybe the reason the game basically only has 1 story hub is precisely because they spent so much time trying to add apartments to vandalize they never had the time left over for another city. It almost makes me thing, I would have been fine with a downgraded city... fewer non-story related hidden details, fewer unrelated bases in the sewers -- if it meant we got another story hub, maybe in San Fran (since it kept getting referred) or pre-London.

The other reason I guess I feel that way is because for some reason, I just didn't really feel all that intrigued by the story or the city.

Subjectively, I mean. Objectively, the story is good albeit rather incomplete and ultimately does nothing with all its themes. And I cannot stress how impressive the world design is.

But for some reason, I just didn't personally like its 'flavour'...

If DX HR was... Neuromancer....then DX MD felt like Children of Men.

It really never felt all that cyberpunk to me. I've a pretty narrow definition, I admit. And it's not a BAD thing (just my personal preference). But I didn't like how the story, city, and themes were actually a big step down from HR in terms of 'high tech' and instead of being very cyber, very punk, it felt more... dystopian, class warfare, reminded me a lot of Half Life 2 or Children of Men. Plus, there was very little corporate presence thing time... I really miss the corporate espionage of DXHR... the whole spy vs spy thing of this one, Vega and Janus, Miller and the whole TF division... just didn't really do anything for me.

Still kinda sorting out my impressions from the game, and I stress that it's really good. The 'game' itself is easily 9/10... the world design is incredible and gameplay really slick. Love the amount of options you have. The story... maybe a 6/10 or 7/10 just because it sets up an awesome plot, but just doesn't really do anything with it -- felt like the first 2-3 episodes in an 8 episode drama series.

All that aside though, there are some creative and subjective elements that for some reason just didn't click with me: the city and story just sort of never interested me all that much and never felt very cyberpunk, and most of the content of the game struggles with ludonarrative dissonance even more than other DX games. I sort of feel like...awesome game but I just didn't like the choice of Prague... the choice of 'spy vs spy' in lieu of more corporations.. and the choice to go more 'dystopian' than 'cyberpunk' with basically all the themes and art of the game.

(Long rant haha cuz I'm still sorting out my impressions... like I said. Awesome game. The rest is just me trying to decide of I like the 'flavour' of the game... the dish itself is obviously great quality)

Trago

Story felt like there was something missing in the beginning. Side characters weren't as memorable either.

I do like the apartheid angle they went with. Just wished fir a bit more.

"The Harvester" side mission is definitely my favorite part of the game.

Did you like how it concluded during the martial law?

Am I the only one that absolutely hated that they had 'side quests' in a city while you had stealth around lol...

I gave up on my Foxiest of Hounds-esque playthrough (don't care about trophies just my headcanon... pretty sure the only 3 alarms I got all game were bumrushing through martial law to get to my apartment and I guess maybe the final boss fight? dunno if it would count as an alarm though even that I probably could have easily done since I did it non-lethally) because after the 3rd time of having to stealth from the north part of the city to my apartment I got so tired of it.

Arrive back in Prague, and Doria says I need to save her... cuz the killer is actually AT her apartment. Absolutely no time to waste so before going to TF, I rush back and stealth all the way from the heliport to my apartment and finish Harvester... OK. Then, I head back to TF.

Soon as I get inside... Sarif says, call him from my apartment -_-

OK... stealth back to my apartment a second time. Then stealth back north to the Georgians. Do that.. Vega calls me... meet her in my apartment ........ -_-

maybe it's fine for combat haha you could probably take out the cops and just run around the city as normal, but that seemed crazy in terms of the story

but at least in a stealth playthrough where not randomly killing cops makes story sense haha god did it become annoying

game should have had max one core story reason to go back to your apartment during martial law. sarif could have easily been talked to from some other random terminal (e.g. where you call Janus) and likewise for meeting Vega.

either that or the apartment should have probably just been in the north part of the city anyhow since being in the south (and the horrible PS4 loading times) basically means using your apartment storage is a pain anyhow

not a big deal just super annoying, like the martial law is an awesome idea (and was cool at first) but does not fit 'questing' around a city hub lol i must have wasted 2 hours last night stealth around the city to do annoying little tasks and and watching Jensen walk up and down that subway loading screen lol

nOoblet16

I thought so at first but then I realised there really aren't that many police out there, the alleys are completely safe and these guys don't really roam around much so outside of makeshift "checkpoints" you don't really see them much.

But yes it was kind of obvious what they were trying to do by making you go back to your apartment, the game never asks you to do that this frequently before.

Moff

so what was so special about orchid?

I understand it only works on augs that need that medication jensen does not need, hence why he was not killed in switzerland, and it's part of his ex's research to make augs not need that medication anymore.

but still, in the context of the game, what's the big deal? it's still just a poison like millions others. and I don't understand what the downside of going to the bank and getting the antidote was either, the bombs were never used.
is there even a way to let the bombs detonate in london? I got the achievement for saving both the delegates and disarm the bombs, don't know if I did anything special.
were the delegates not naturals anyway? I thought orchid works only on augs? apparently I mixed something up there.

anyway, I was very glat I got warned by reviews, I would have been immensely disappointed otherwise by the story of this game. really nothing interesting happened, next to no interaction with the men behind the curtain, no interesting reveals for the big picture, it feels like a sidestoy.
not even viktro was well portrayed, what were his motivations anyway? he obviously has "masters", meaning the illuminati, but they want augs eradicated, why is he following their orders?

still, gameplay wise it was steller, peak deus ex in my opinion, fantastic level design and abilities. sadly the locations were not very memorable, just like the characters and the story.
I mean why was NOTHING in switzerland? no new reveleatons, no characters you can talk to, just nothing.
and that NSN section, damn they could have done something so cool with that, first I thought you could interact with illuminati there, talk to them, look at them, but no, a terrible puzzle section.

I just don't understand why eidos montreal obviously stubbornly refuses to do anything interesting storywise.

world building was great, though. in HR already, it feels like they think a lot about the world and the factions and it feels real. but they miss memorable and epic story moments, cool stuff, it's just not there. it's even worse in MD now. bummer.
still enjoyed my 37 with this game a lot, I might to an NG+ playthrough where I kill just everyone, now that I got the achievements for no kills and no alarms.

Moff

going through the secret achievements I just realized there is a killswitch, I even found it but my inventory was full and I thought it was just a multitool, gnrrr

and Lucius Debeers looks exactly like charles dance, especially in the post credits scene, maybe they'll cast him as a voice actor if they expand his role in the sequel.

but who am I trying to feel, the cool characters will have next to no screen time at all in the sequel as usual

Awful ending to a game whose story wasn't ever anything to write home about. There is little to no resolution and there is no impact to the conclusion. A 'dark middle chapter' without any compelling reason to care about what happens next.

Mostly everything else is top notch and fun but the main story writing is abysmal.

Yeah the game sets up a great -- well, interesting with potential -- plot and setting but it just runs nowhere with it.

And most of the main story was kinda shown in the trailer. Train station bombing. Adam investigates. Goes to Aug Ghetto, their leader dies, and the musclehead looks like the main bad guy. Other that that, only thing even 'new' was that they hatched a terrorist plot and we stop it =p for all the plot, and controversy over Mechanical Apartheid, the story actually does very little with it.

The setting and theme are absolutely full of it, so the foundation is there. But the story never really runs with it, or try to say anything. It just sort of sits there, overwhelming, smothering the player with the 'theme' but never with any story development.

So much that the game is almost a bit too depressing... Or oppressive. The constant vilifying of police AND augs... the dystopian art of the city... even the hospital-esque white-and-blue light colour palette before the city goes dark...

The last two days something has been nagging me and I haven't been able to quite sum it up, but I think what is it is, is that Deus Ex MD is kinda.... demoralizing.

Deus Ex HR was a rather exciting game. A human revolution. Sort of inspiring in a creative sense... I used to replay Deus Ex HR just to see the art, the cool optimistic augs, etc. The awesome cyberpunk cities and a lot of embracing of technological innovation.

In contrast, Deus Ex MD is kinda depressing and regressive. I mean, that's the point, right? And it sets up an intriguing plot with a lot of potential. But after I beat the game, I kinda felt like.... Do I really even want to replay it and just get more demoralized by all the dystopia, oppression, and depression -- both in terms of animation and colour.

It'd be worth it if the story had payoff but it doesn't -- so you're basically just left with the setting and atmosphere of the theme. I'm not sure it's a fault because I think it does result in a hell of a game, and it at least gave the potential for the story to a lot -- less the fault of the setting and more the fault of the writers. But it's one of the first games I can think of where I felt like, damn, do I even want to replay just because it's so... clinical and dystopian?

It's an interesting thing because Prague is probably one of the best detailed cities in the game. It probably even surpasses Novigrad from Witcher 3 in terms of actual content and detail, and Los Santos in GTA V at least in terms of content. But unlike those where I was excited, motivated, even inspired to revisit and even sort of 'endgame' in -- replay over and over -- I'm oddly demoralized about returning to the awesome quality but otherwise demoralizing shit hole that is Prague.

It's a powerful thing during the story and certainly what little strength the subpar story has comes entirely from the awesome city design. But sort of like a slow, depressing but powerful drama, it can be a tiring and disinteresting thing to revisit.

xVodevil

Well I'm kinda disappointed, story wise this game barely adds anything... Even the post credits cutscene wasn't that big of a shocking surprise. It' s gonna be so much fun waiting on a follow up, for a couple of years...

SkylineRKR

I think Human Revolution was originally planned to lead into DX1. But then they started to branch off with the sequel, in order to create their own saga. Prague is good, but its the only hub. Golem City is a one time action stage, though it has a small hub with vendors. Golem City was an excellent part though. HR had Hengsha and Detroit as hubs, but Prague in MD is probably as big as both combined.

Prague under martial law was a nice change. The side questing was tedious but going from K to Dvali Theater went rather seamless.

What I missed in MD was character. Like Malik in HR who would fly you around and you actually got into trouble with her, which left you with the choice to save her or not. I also liked Sarif industries and its employees. I felt this was less in MD, though Jim, Koller and Vega were good.

Moff

golem city is an incredible level, probably the best in the deus ex franchise. massive, with a mini hub, a jumpnrun passage and 2 giant areas filled with enemies, then an important story section with interesting dialogue and then another final enemy section. all of it seamless without any loading, I'd like to see a 3d map of this layout.

but still it feels very warehousy, a problem the franchise always had. I understand that warehouse like levels provide many opportunities for deus ex gameplay, but still it gets old fast. which is why I loved the mob safehouse level as well and of course the bank.

SkylineRKR

Just beat the DLC chapter. Feels cheap (it was free), 'what did you find?' 'he's the culprit' The End. But it was a good level, took me perhaps 20 minutes. Doesn't seem to spoil much if you play it early though, you find out who did it but not the actual plot and Marchenko's unfluence etc.

Top Bottom