• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEVASTATION 2011 | Gaming tournament & convention | October 6-9

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Spiderjericho said:
Wong can probably beat Poongko and Mago. Maybe Uryo. Tokido probably not. And if Momochi uses Yun forget about it.

Poongko can get hot and guess right. It depends on which Mago. 2D God or 2D Fraud.

The main entertainment during SB will be seeing Poongko and Uryo play against our favorite SF players.

Marvel is going to be pretty much more of the same.
Don't forget Momochi's daigo is best daigo.

El Sloth

Banned
Rice-Eater said:
1st: EG|Justin Wong (Rufus).
2nd: Brokentier|Latif (C. Viper).
3rd: cc.coL|Combofiend (Oni/Abel/Makoto).
4th: cc.coL|Mike Ross (E. Honda).
5th: EG|fLoE (Yang).
5th: cc.coL|Filipino Champ (Dhalsim).
7th: EG|Ricky Ortiz (Rufus).
7th: WolfKrone (C. Viper).
Thanks!

Damn, looks like I missed some pretty good matches. Nice to see Mike placing decently.
Rice-Eater said:
All but one sponsored player in the top 8, as long as the sponsored players come I guess that's what we can expect in the future of Majors. Next week at Season's Beatings, you should probably expect several of foreigners in the top 8 for SSF4AE though.
It's a damn crime that Wolfkrone isn't sponsored yet. I cannot remember the last tournament he's attended where he didn't place in the top 8.

Spiderjericho said:
Wong can probably beat Poongko and Mago. Maybe Uryo. Tokido probably not. And if Momochi uses Yun forget about it.

Wong can't even beat OnlineTony, he lost so badly that he called AE not a Street Fighter game. What hope does he have against Poongko?

El Sloth said:
Thanks!

Damn, looks like I missed some pretty good matches. Nice to see Mike placing decently.

It's a damn crime that Wolfkrone isn't sponsored yet. I cannot remember the last tournament he's attended where he didn't place in the top 8.

Wasn't he apart of TFA with BananaKen?

scytheavatar said:
Wong can't even beat OnlineTony, he lost so badly that he called AE not a Street Fighter game. What hope does he have against Poongko?

I hate to say it but yeah, I don't think Wong has much of a chance against Poongko unless he has really been putting time into AE. Poongko came over here during EVO and pretty much steam rolled every top American player in long set casuals with the exception of Combofiend. And even then he was finally adjusting and gaining the upper hand before they stopped playing. Poongko's biggest concern will probably be Latif and Wolfkrone. I don't think he likes that match up(or facing the character in general).

Conceited said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe TFA is just a group and not an actual sponsor.

Wasn't expecting to be like a EG or Complexity but thats interesting to hear. I guess the few times their acronym was in front of those guys names was just for show.

zlatko

Banned
Has Krone ever said why he left TFA or is he still in it?

Not a big diss to them, but he's a step above and it's probably in his best interests to stay solo so a bigger named sponsor comes and scoops him up. The majority of TFA guys I've fought online(yeah I know online doesn't mean MUCH,but) I was able to body. The truth is I'm pretty ass at AE, but the games I've had against TFA guys were not laggy and just horrible.

So for him to be associated with sort of shitty players doesn't look too good on him. He definitely deserves a big ups sponsor, and I think he'll get one if he can stay just as consistent as he has been this last year once the Viper nerfs hit. It'd also help if he picked up another game so he can give his sponsor more exposure on streams.

Parallax Scroll said:
justin wong is the best player at fighting games

He is indeed the best U.S. fighting game player. He won the official MK Tourney, UFGT 7 MVC3 and SSFIV, Winterbrawl MVC3 and Devastation AE and MVC3.

But the comp is definitely pretty fierce ie Combofiend (MVC3 and AE), Viscant (MVC3), PR Balrog (AE and MVC3), Floe (AE and MVC3), Latif (AE) and Wolfkrone (AE).

The sad part in all of this is the fall of Sanford Kelly, who used to be a huge rival.

entremet

Spiderjericho said:
He is indeed the best U.S. fighting game player. He won the official MK Tourney, UFGT 7 MVC3 and SSFIV, Winterbrawl MVC3 and Devastation AE and MVC3.

But the comp is definitely pretty fierce ie Combofiend (MVC3 and AE), Viscant (MVC3), PR Balrog (AE and MVC3), Floe (AE and MVC3), Latif (AE) and Wolfkrone (AE).

The sad part in all of this is the fall of Sanford Kelly, who used to be a huge rival.
Well. He did lose his sparring partner when Justin moved to LA. I'm a big Sanford fan, and I'm sad that he's fallen off as well. Still placing decently, though.

entrement said:
Well. He did lose his sparring partner when Justin moved to LA. I'm a big Sanford fan, and I'm sad that he's fallen off as well. Still placing decently, though.

Yeah, but he's not dominating like he once did on East Coast tournaments. And he can't stand MVC3. Hopefully, UMVC3 will light his fire.

entrement said:
Nice to see Justin not playing character musical chairs.

I don't think he was completely serious about playing or was bored. He really hasn't had any real competition the last two years. He's dominated SFIV (pretty much except for this year) and Marvel in the U.S (this for a decade).

Omega

Banned
Justin needs to come back to the East Coast so we're not so free anymore.

...and for the love of God please get a new/good haircut

We love you too bro.

AAK

Parallax Scroll said:
justin wong is the best player at Capcom fighting games

I haven't seen him do so well in games like Blazblue, Arcana, Virtua Fighter, Tekken.

Tokido and Ryan Hart on the other hand....

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
AAK said:
I haven't seen him do so well in games like Blazblue, Arcana, Virtua Fighter, Tekken.

Justin Wong was good at Tekken when he focused on it.

He placed top 8 in EVO 2007 for Tekken 5. He WON a Final Round Tekken tournament (impossible to do in Atlanta unless you're Korean) for T5DR.

If he focuses on it full time. Bet your bottom dollar that he'll be a threat.

AAK said:

Um he's great at Magical Drop, he casually plays MOTW and won a MK tournament with Perfect Legend, Tom Brady, etc. He's the best fighting game player in the U.S.

Spiderjericho said:

Don't see why anyone should pity him, he picks Sagat then complains about how much work he needs to get a win and how he's going to pick a top tier in AE 2012. He also hates MvC3 and calls it a scrub game, yet he could barely do basic b&bs in that game.

scytheavatar said:
Don't see why anyone should pity him, he picks Sagat then complains about how much work he needs to get a win and how he's going to pick a top tier in AE 2012. He also hates MvC3 and calls it a scrub game, yet he could barely do basic b&bs in that game.

Agreed. He had a good thing going during the vanilla days, but the competition has quickly and easily eclipsed him once Super and AE came around. And it's not the just the fall of Kelly, but also the fall of Empire.

_dementia said:
So I ended up missing all of this. Any good highlights?
F.Champ got kicked out of Marvel by an Arthur player, Floe finally defeated Juicebox in AE, and Justin Wong won both Marvel and AE.

I can't remember anything else.

SmokeMaxX

MarkMan said:
Justin Wong was good at Tekken when he focused on it.

He placed top 8 in EVO 2007 for Tekken 5. He WON a Final Round Tekken tournament (impossible to do in Atlanta unless you're Korean) for T5DR.

If he focuses on it full time. Bet your bottom dollar that he'll be a threat.
But he couldn't even get #1 in Tekken on WCG Ultimate Gamer.

[/troll]

BotoxAgent said:
Agreed. He had a good thing going during the vanilla days, but the competition has quickly and easily eclipsed him once Super and AE came around. And it's not the just the fall of Kelly, but also the fall of Empire.

The Empire players (not the organization) are still on point. Yipes is decent at MVC3 and AE. Remix is decent at MVC3. Former member Chris G wins MVC3 and MK tourneys. Sanford wins NYC SF tournaments along with Dieminion.

But going into this year, right before Super, it just seemed like he wasn't heavily participating in the scene (maybe dealing with life issues, etc).

SmokeMaxX said:
But he couldn't even get #1 in Tekken on WCG Ultimate Gamer.

[/troll]

And J.Wong is a pretty good troll. Whatever games he invests his time, he trolls that game's community by winning tournament. The only reason why he isn't winning Tekken tournaments is because he doesn't play, probably not interested.

He says if a scene develops he'll play KOF XIII. And we've seen him dominate this year in SF, MK and MVC3.

entremet

scytheavatar said:
For lack of interest than anything else. He's an execution machine as evidenced by his SFIV play, which is much more punishing execution wise with the 1 frame links and what not.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hard to say that someone who got top 12 at EVO isn't any good at this game.

Not that most of the stuff he's said about the game isn't eyeroll worthy.

Omega

Banned
scytheavatar said:

He had a point with his MvC3 comment. Plenty of people who were nobodies in MvC2 (most notably Noel Brown) are regarded as top players in 3. Not to mention the whole X-Factor thing which gives ANYONE the ability to make a reverse OCV if they can guess right two or three times.

scytheavatar said:
Well he can barely do bnbs in mvc3 but got 9th place at evo in it. Also when did he say he was gonna pick a top tier in ae2012. If he sticks with sagat, he already is. Sanford kelly might have dropped off a bit, but someone as talented as him can come back to the top with some work.

biosnake20 said:
Well he can barely do bnbs in mvc3 but got 9th place at evo in it. Also when did he say he was gonna pick a top tier in ae2012. If he sticks with sagat, he already is. Sanford kelly might have dropped off a bit, but someone as talented as him can come back to the top with some work.

Why does sanford always get shit for "pick a top tier" when he switched away from Cammy in Super and was one of the few people who stuck with Sagat?

Top Bottom