• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers really need to start having DS4 support on their PC games

deoee

The Xbox Elite controller exists.

No need for DS4 support now.

Worst post I've read in a loooong time. Congratz.

For most of the games it does not work I use DS4Windows - works flawless.
Only problem is that some games still miss correct button icons :-/

Nabs

I'd like it if they just give us the option to switch between button prompts. X1, PS4... and 360. Fuck modern back/start buttons.

But yeah, I prefer to just use inputmapper/ds4windows over native support. I get much more control over my experience, and the touchpads are cool as shit.

?? what

What's the point of people coming in to troll the thread with their XBox controller gushings? The man obviously has his mind made up as to his preferred method, so no need to turn it into a controller warz discussion.

I now see why port begging is banned; derails of all kinds don't help anyone.

You seem unnecessarily upset.

Took me an extra 5 minutes for our game, if that. The button and D-Pad axis share the same values, they are just ordered differently.

Once you finish that - tighten up the dead zones. The DS4 has a much smaller dead zone than all of my Xbox controllers.

Literally minutes and I roll my own input solution from scratch. Not hard.

Reads like a troll post but is entirely accurate. The Elite makes the DS4 look like an overpriced plastic piece of crap. Comparing the triggers alone is a joke. No contest. I love the shape, layout and features of the DS4, but the build quality is absolute ass and Sony has had plenty of time to fix it and yet they've done nothing bu change its colors.

I still support DS4 support in PC games, though. Sorry for the rant lol

Arklite

Took me an extra 5 minutes for our game, if that. The button and D-Pad axis share the same values, they are just ordered differently.

Once you finish that - tighten up the dead zones. The DS4 has a much smaller dead zone than all of my Xbox controllers.

Literally minutes and I roll my own input solution from scratch. Not hard.

Great to here it isn't too difficult, maybe it's just the relative nonpresence of Sony pads that causes devs to forget it completely.

Reads like a troll post but is entirely accurate. The Elite makes the DS4 look like an overpriced plastic piece of crap. Comparing the triggers alone is a joke. No contest. I love the shape, layout and features of the DS4, but the build quality is absolute ass and Sony has had plenty of time to fix it and yet they've done nothing bu change its colors.

most controllers make the DS4 look like an overpriced plastic piece of crap.

how sony can go from designing a piece of hardware as solid and satisfying as the vita to the dualshock 4 is mindboggling

Head.spawn

I think we should just be more vocal with said publishers. I think if enough people complained about it, they'd just make it a thing.

I would think that Sony releasing proper driver support should be the first step.
most controllers make the DS4 look like an overpriced plastic piece of crap.

how sony can go from designing a piece of hardware as solid and satisfying as the vita to the dualshock 4 is mindboggling

It reminds me off that janky slim PS3 as far as build quality goes.

Great to here it isn't too difficult, maybe it's just the relative nonpresence of Sony pads that causes devs to forget it completely.
I'm unsure, personally. That was one of the first things I did simply because my game is best played on a D-Pad and I prefer the DS4. Just me, though.

On Demand

Banned

Shit post on top of shit post.

You people excel at these things. Nothing what the two of you said has anything to do with what the thread is about.

KorrZ

It would be nice if the button prompts would show up correctly, but ultimately as long as the DS4 works then I don't really care.

I've had pretty good success lately with the last few PC games I've played. Witcher 3, MGSV and Fallout 4 have all worked out of the box with DS4.

me0wish

one dude advocating it =/= people shilling for it

ds4 does have better support, but it ultimately falls on sony to help spread native support with proper prompts. they're doing a lot better than last gen but hopefully with remote play coming to PC they step their game up

Yup we need better official driver support, I wonder if Sony updated drivers will allow us to close the lights.

Justinh

They're all good :p

I agree with this, and I understand that people have a preference. I'm just not sure this is the place.

Shit post on top of shit post.

You people excel at these things. Nothing what the two of you said has anything to do with what the thread is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIU6UNgO_Y#t=3.7

Back on topic: has anyone played the latest CoDs on PC? Seems like the high-end multiplats are the ones with support and icons.

Bootsy

DS4 is just a worse 360 pad so there's probably not a huge demand, if there is there'll be a mod to switch the icons around if it's that confusing for folk.

Would be more interested in devs tuning a good steam controller config, not because there's a bigger demand for it yet, but because it may legitimately provide a better experience and is relatively untested.

Ecto311

I have an Xbox controller and I'd rather not use it.

Shit man doing most of my PC gaming outside of Starcraft during the commander keen days and that dumb ass joy pad with the screw in joystick in the middle the xbox controller being native to windows is fantastic when/if I do want to play something. I remember trying to play MK3 or budokan with the keyboard and it was a complete joke.

One of these:
gravcon1.jpg

Was all we had back then (or others that were not for sale local) and it was garbage.

oRuin

I'm with ya op. Really like using my ds4 and it annoys me when games lack proper support. I have noticed the odd game here and there that do fully support it, including buttons. Hope more devs take the extra time to include more support in the future. Sorry to see you had so many dumb posts on your topic. Kids eh?

thelastword

Banned
Yes, more support is needed, but kudos to those devs already doing it like the Witcher 3 guys, Mad Max guys etc... I'm thinking when SF5/Shenmue and other games like this drops, we will see even more support being steamrolled in as a result.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather use the DS4, but I recently picked up an Xbox One controller to replace my old 360 controller, so I'm good for now.

Warxard

Banned
Don't really have much of a similarly priced choice when it comes to modern good controllers. Either I use a DS4 or pay 3x the money for a superior one. That's something I'm not really willing to do.

You're not trying hard enough to look then. Hori, Madcatz, and even Logitech make completely serviceable to good quality controllers that have PC support.

Only way that happens is if MS opens how controller are seen in the OS and let devs or companies like sony/nintendo have an input.

Are you sure about that? Because game controllers have their own control panel thing already, and sim games with support for steering wheels already have unique icons and bindings for different wheels.

BShadowJ

I agree, after playing Rocket League and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 with out of the box DS4 support, I'd absolutely LOVE for more games to support it natively.

Speaking of getting icon packs though, I recently played Cook, Serve, Delicious! and while it unfortunately doesn't have native DS4 support, it does have the option to choose the controller you're using (and thus the icons on the game). You can even choose the Wii U Pro Controller! I thought that was a brilliant little touch, and more games should include that IMO.

Nabs

I agree, after playing Rocket League and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 with out of the box DS4 support, I'd absolutely LOVE for more games to support it natively.

Speaking of getting icon packs though, I recently played Cook, Serve, Delicious! and while it unfortunately doesn't have native DS4 support, it does have the option to choose the controller you're using (and thus the icons on the game). You can even choose the Wii U Pro Controller! I thought that was a brilliant little touch, and more games should include that IMO.

It also has Steam Controller support with icons and all. I don't get why more devs can't at least provide that much support.

On Demand

Banned
I think the main reason why it's not supported as much is because the 360 controller has been the standard for awhile now, naturally the XB1 controller would continue this. XB controllers are just seen as the default for PC. But with the DS4 being better designed than the DS3, and now being more recognized as a great controller, PC support should continue to get better.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Are you sure about that? Because game controllers have their own control panel thing already, and sim games with support for steering wheels already have unique icons and bindings for different wheels.

I want Os support for something like dead zones doesn't exist. If you mean the crap thing MS gives us in control panel it still doesn't even windows10 makes games properly adjust to what you calibrate. external 3rd party programs cannot fix issues like that and if MS fixed it from the spot that matters most I would need less of them.

Same applies here. DS4 didn't exist for other version of win10 to deal with natively and while it's nice to have native support it's lackluster at times in games. Certain issues are deeper than native support and would remove this issue completely. To the users wondering about my native support comment, GTA5 pc and a few other titles I have say hi. My point is MS could make that easier and remove the need for rockstar or sony to a job they could've done on the OS ages ago. We should be yelling at everyone but the devs but MS and Sony share blame in different ways.

I will make it easy with a real world example. I can use a 360 or X1 with xim and have an easier time using anything I want after that point than to try and get the same input diversity in windows. What makes this sad is MS has the means to make it so that this issue doesn't exist and they are only one with the fix for it.

SRTtoZ

Mad Max has it surprisingly. Was very happy when I saw the DS4 prompts.

So you're saying a controller that is 3x the price of another one is better quality? Very interesting and well noted.

I'd like native support too but DS4Windows is decent enough right now.

DS4 is by far my favorite PC controller so far. Had to retire my trust 360 one in favor of it, despite the relative lack of support.

If there were a lot of support for it I would have considered getting one to replace my wired 360 controller. But its too late. Got an Xbox One controller, wireless adapter, and batteries/charger a few days ago. It would be nice to have some decent competition out there. It would have saved me a good bit of money too. I already have a Bluetooth adapter for my PC.

Crayon

The elite controller evangelists. Like a whole new species discovered in our very own sewers.

I'd like support for the ps button prompts. I prefer the ds3 for 2d gaming.

Elitist1945

okay, first off, the vita is nowhere near $300
secondly, the plastic used to make it doesn't cost anything compared to the hardware internals, so that argument is kind of moot

Yeah not the best argument I've made, but I was just trying to say they're both different devices so you can't compare build quality.

$150 controllers?
that require a wired connection?
over something that has already been supported by developers but doesn't have widespread adoption?

what drugs are people on in this thread?

still using my 360 wireless for PC since i comfy couch game and don't feel like dealing with workarounds for the DS4. official support for it would be awesome.

Shawsie64

Banned
I can understand the OP that not having those icons is annoying. Its beyond me why anyone would use a Ds4 instead of an XBox controller though. Also, the steam controller blows both out of the water after you got used to it.

It really does.. It shits on both the DS4 or Xbox One controller. My DS4 thumb sticks disintegrated after a few months and battery life was appalling. Xbox One pad felt better but Steam controller is the best input device other than KB/M available on PC.

npa189

The elite controller evangelists. Like a whole new species discovered in our very own sewers.

I'd like support for the ps button prompts. I prefer the ds3 for 2d gaming.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Combined with MS putting out the wireless dongle with audio support its no different than playing games on a console.

I don't see the DS4 getting proper support because of Directinput sadly. The 360 was the torchbearer for PC gamepads for 10 years and it only makes sense for the one to carry on its role. I'm going back to the sewer to play with my elite now.

Top Bottom