• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 10th Anniversary Thread: You Lose Again, Gravity! [Up: Combo Videos]

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GuardianE said:
They specifically said that it would be for a currently unannounced, secret game.

It can't be DmC since DmC has been announced for a long time now.
Oh, I didn't know that. Good news then.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
They specifically said that it would be for a currently unannounced, secret game.

It can't be DmC since DmC has been announced for a long time now.
Yea, I forgot to mention that. lol That's why we are following the art contest time-line.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm thinking the unreleased PSP DMC now for PSVita, anyone else?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chamber said:
Oh, I didn't know that. Good news then.

Yeah, that's why everyone's remained pretty hopeful. I really just want them to announce it already so I can pre-order copies for everyone I know.

SMT said:

You just made me vomit in my mouth. Please don't crush my dreams.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chamber said:
I nearly bought a PSP when they announced DMC for it. Glad I held off on THAT purchase.

On the one hand, a DMC for Vita in the same vein as previous DMC titles would instill faith that they may go back to that format for future titles... so I'd be okay with that. On the other hand, I'd much rather have an HD collection than an outsourced Vita DMC.

Teknoman

SMT said:

NO. Its going to be DMC HD collection with DMC 1-4 and lots of special bonus videos, beta footage, and artwork + steelbook case. :mad:

:p

gunbo13

Teknoman said:
NO. Its going to be DMC HD collection with DMC 1-4 and lots of special bonus videos, beta footage, and artwork + steelbook case. :mad:
Just because of that optimism you are going to get DMC2 HD, DMC4 re-pack, and the anime box set sold in a paper bag.

XUuu8.jpg

Don't forget to put your name on it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
gunbo13 said:
Just because of that optimism you are going to get DMC2 HD, DMC4 re-pack, and the anime box set sold in a paper bag.

XUuu8.jpg

Don't forget to put your name on it.
Needs an autographed picture of Tameem to be complete.

gunbo13

Chamber said:
Needs an autographed picture of Tameem to be complete.
It's in the bag.
I didn't want to spoil the surprise. There's also a coupon for $15 off at Seaworld. Though I fail to see the connection...

ezekial45 said:
They did say it was going with an unannounced game.

"The winners of the competition will receive a place in history when their artwork is featured in a new, to be announced Capcom game! (plus a copy of said secret game when upon its release!)"

http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/07/13/devil_may_cry_10th_anniversary_art_contest

TGS seems like the likely place to announce it.

After reading this, I believe that it would be a DMC game for the PSVita, or...

PJX

GuardianE said:
Yeah, that's why everyone's remained pretty hopeful. I really just want them to announce it already so I can pre-order copies for everyone I know.

Unless its a digital release like RE HD Collection.

Teknoman

What sucks is the winners of the contest wont be announced until as late as November...but I guess TGS reveal would keep me going looking for a decent copy of DMC 1 / replaying DMC 3.

Nemesis_

It will probably be announced at TGS, this rumour has been lingering for way too long now.

If it's not TGS then I really doubt it's coming =/

Raonak

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
It will probably be announced at TGS, this rumour has been lingering for way too long now.

If it's not TGS then I really doubt it's coming =/

It might release after DmC reboot; as to not take away any steam from it.

gunbo13

Himself said:
I feel like it would build up steam for it. Or maybe I'm delusional.
It is already industry practice for many with GoW and Team Ico collections. So I assume they are releasing them before-hand for this exact reasoning.

gunbo13

Dahbomb said:
DMC PS Vita to release with DMC PSP and DMC Series HD Remix simultaneously.

Yes this is a troll folks.
Could you imagine a DMC collection though on Vita/PS3? Oh my god, if I could take DMC3 with me wherever I go, I would buy a Vita day 1; no joke. I wouldn't care if I had to push weapon switching to the d-pad just as long as custom configs stayed. Weapon charging on GS though would require dual thumbing face buttons (/\ O) but I'd survive.

DMC3 really begs for redundant button settings though. I would be overjoyed to allow multiple mappings to spread out buffering when switching tactics. This would get around my problem with doing a Reb charge and doing rebound SM aerial cancels on drop. I can't find anything comfortable except using a back trigger for melee which is doable though annoying.

Dahbomb

Redundant button swaps would be overpowered in DMC and would take away from the skill aspect of the game. Like with Vergil you will always be tossing out swords with attacks or always be charging guns with Nero/Dante and other stuff like DT Flux.

gunbo13

Dahbomb said:
Redundant button swaps would be overpowered in DMC and would take away from the skill aspect of the game. Like with Vergil you will always be tossing out swords with attacks or always be charging guns with Nero/Dante and other stuff like DT Flux.
True, but it is just frustrating that certain combo inputs are a bitch to do since you run out of viable buttons. I don't think adding a single "open" button on the d-pad though would ruin the balance. Fighting games like SF4 allow such custom additions. But it is also very silly for me to request such a thing for a few combo strings out of a shit-ton. So yea, overall better without.

Dahbomb

What I didn't like was not having the ability to map Rev to a face button or L1/R1.

Now people are going to come in and tell me that it would be overpowered and too easy on a face button and I would be like LOL NO because on the PC version you can map it to any button you want. It doesn't change the easiness of performing the just revs at all but I prefer to have that on L1 makes it easier FOR ME.

What are you guys' thoughts about allowing Dante to equip two weapons at once in DMC1.

Recall that one primary face button in DMC wasn't being used. Two face buttons had the same purpose, both shot E&I.

/\ = alastor
O = Ifrit
Square = shoot
X = jump
R1=target lock
L1=trigger
L2=did this even have a function in DMC1? was it the map menu?
R2=taunt...I think

Anyway, you could really expand DMC's combo strings by allowing Alastor and Ifrit to work together in strings. A lot like how Rebellion and Beowulf work in strings due to weapon changing in DMC3.

As for balance, in regards to making DMC1 easier. Look, everyone here can rape DMC1 on DmD with their eyes closed anyway. And for casual gamers, they won't know the complexity to actual make the game easier. But it would make it more stylish...for everyone.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, you could use L2 or R2 to be gun change for Dante, going from E and I to Nightmare Beta etc. In fact, in general DMC1 could just use an upgrade to DMC3's control mechanics.

Anyway, I hope they use this opportunity to adjust the fight mechanics almost as if it were a street fighter re-release.

And a youtube record upload feature please. Makes recording combo and tutorial vids for the community that much easier. Somebody on capcom unity posted the youtube idea and I think it'd be a good implemenation.

Dahbomb

That would be pretty cool but if they are going to implement that drastic of changes on older games... why not just add in new weapons and enemies too? Hell why not add Styles and other features.

And if that's the case, why not buff up DMC3 too with on the fly style switch mapped to the D-pad (your choice of 4 among 6 to keep with the customization aspect of DMC3)?

That just opens the gates too much for newer content in older games. Everyone has a laundry list of stuff they would want in older games that are freed from RAM issues and don't even get me started on DMC4.

The only thing that I can REASONABLY hope for is customizable controls in DMC1. Fuck having to jump with Triangle and this is coming from someone who has put in over a thousand hours in the original DMC.

Youtube upload was my idea that I posted in the DmC thread by the way. In fact, I have been asking for that before DMC4 came out. That and customizable training mode where you can pick enemies, set their health and properties while picking your weapon/area and let loose. And possibly a Mission mode type thing where you are restricted to your weapon set/move set against particular enemies to be creative in trying to overcome the opposition (like having to beat Cerberus with Nevan/Cerberus on Doppelganger while also dealing with Enigmas).

Dahbomb said:
That would be pretty cool but if they are going to implement that drastic of changes on older games... why not just add in new weapons and enemies too? Hell why not add Styles and other features.

And if that's the case, why not buff up DMC3 too with on the fly style switch mapped to the D-pad (your choice of 4 among 6 to keep with the customization aspect of DMC3)?

That just opens the gates too much for newer content in older games. Everyone has a laundry list of stuff they would want in older games that are freed from RAM issues and don't even get me started on DMC4.

Allowing Dante to use Alastor and Ifrit in one control scheme takes next to no development time. Which means not expensive. Which means easy to do.

You're just adjusting the function of a button. You may also have to add in extra menu and user interface ala "weapon equip page" but thats it. Technically, DMC1 did allow you to switch weapons on the fly, by clicking in R3 I think. But Dante would do this stupid volocano like animation which made it impossible to mix combos up. It's like, it was already in there...but wasn't.

As for adding in new enemies, that takes a lot of money. Each enemy probably takes months to design. Front to end. From art concept to programming, to visual design, to game design, to balancing, and then testing, bug testing and then quality assurance.

I'm for it. But, altering control scheme to allow Dante to use both weapons at once, especially when one of the face buttons doens't have a purpose, is easy. In fact, give me a PC version and I'll do it myself LOL.

As for DMC3. Couple problems.

First off, the d-pad in DMC3 already as a function. In DMC1, that extra face button just repeats a function of another face button exactly. You don't need two buttons that fire E and I the same way.

Granted, the shortcut functions in DMC3, aren't important.

But how would it work? Remember, DMC3's weapon swapping was better than DMC4's. In DMC4, you had to cycle between weapons. In DMC3, you just swapped between two, back and forth. It was a pain in DMC4.

So you're saying you have two melee mapped to R2, and two guns mapped to L2. And then via D-pad, you can switch full sets?

Dahbomb

You would be surprised as to how lazy Capcom is with stuff like this. They will probably make up some excuse like "but adding in weapon swap to the original DMC leads to bugs/balance/RAM issues that take time and resources to dedicate so we decided against putting OTF weapon swap in DMC1".

I mean let's be honest here... how hard is it to add Bloody Palace to DMC1? Not that hard at all, it's just one room with randomly spawning enemies over and over again. But they aren't going to do it and cite those reasons.

They didn't even BALANCE 3rd Strike Online so this is totally out of the question. And 3rd Strike is going to be sold standalone unlike DMC1 which is just going to be packaged into a DMC HD AT THE VERY BEST.

DMC3's D-Pad shortcuts are as redundant/unimportant as the DMC1 firing button. I don't think I have ever used them because I can't be bothered to remember what direction goes to what part of the menu. Way easier to just press Start and select it yourself.

jett

D-Member
How is the PC version of DMC3? I've heard it's kind of a crap port, but can it be patched or something?

Dahbomb said:
You would be surprised as to how lazy Capcom is with stuff like this. They will probably make up some excuse like "but adding in weapon swap to the original DMC leads to bugs/balance/RAM issues that take time and resources to dedicate so we decided against putting OTF weapon swap in DMC1".

I mean let's be honest here... how hard is it to add Bloody Palace to DMC1? Not that hard at all, it's just one room with randomly spawning enemies over and over again. But they aren't going to do it and cite those reasons.

They didn't even BALANCE 3rd Strike Online so this is totally out of the question. And 3rd Strike is going to be sold standalone unlike DMC1 which is just going to be packaged into a DMC HD AT THE VERY BEST.

I agree.

But like I said - in DMC1, the function was already there. Dante was able to switch between Alastor and Ifrit on the fly by pressing in R3. But for some reason, Dante did this volcano like animation. The technology is there. Both moves were stored in the game's RAM, or active memory or whatever. I.e, there was no load screen between weapon switching.

And they shouldn't have technical limitations, I mean - think about it, you're putting a PS2 game on PS3? I think the PS3 can handle it just fine LOL.

The face button is there, the technology is already there. They just have to implement the function of the CIRCLE button, to allow for the usage of Ifrit. It's elementary control scheme application programming. As I said, if there was a DMC1 PC version - the modders would have already done this eons ago, in a matter of hours.

Dahbomb

It has a control patch which is a must. Other than that it's decent though. There are probably mods out there for it that make it better but don't know. It's good enough for me but you need a decent rig to make it run at 60FPS, it's poorly optimized. The DMC4 PC port is GODLIKE compared to this (well the DMC4 PC port is godlike compared to many ports out there so it's really an unfair comparison).

If you want to argue technology being there then I can argue that the technology is there for OTF Style switch in DMC3. The reason why there is a "lame" volcano like animation between Ifrit and Alastor because it loads up the moves for both of the weapons when he does that. That's why you can't cancel the animation like that. So when you press R3, you are not doing an OTF weapon switch.. you are loading in the moves for that weapon which doesn't make it OTF. Hence technically the technology isn't there on the PS2 but it should easily be possible on the PS3. And that's also why DMC3 Styles should be possible since that RAM limitation is gone. Pretty sure Itsuno said that if he had RAM he would've incorporated OTF styles in DMC3, game was already pushing the PS2 to it's limits as far as what Dante can do in 1 set up.

jett said:
How is the PC version of DMC3? I've heard it's kind of a crap port, but can it be patched or something?

Talk to Gunbo13, Ubisoft fucked up it up. It's not god-like the PC version of DMC4.

The optimization is bad, meaning you need a surprisingly strong rig to run it 60 fps. And the controls via game pad are weird. You have to download a patch for the button assignment to work.

gunbo13

Dahbomb said:
The only thing that I can REASONABLY hope for is customizable controls in DMC1. Fuck having to jump with Triangle and this is coming from someone who has put in over a thousand hours in the original DMC.
First thing I did on my DMC1 emu run was remap to X. Fuck triangle always. ;)

Dahbomb said:
Youtube upload was my idea that I posted in the DmC thread by the way. In fact, I have been asking for that before DMC4 came out. That and customizable training mode where you can pick enemies, set their health and properties while picking your weapon/area and let loose. And possibly a Mission mode type thing where you are restricted to your weapon set/move set against particular enemies to be creative in trying to overcome the opposition (like having to beat Cerberus with Nevan/Cerberus on Doppelganger while also dealing with Enigmas).
I will have sweat dreams tonight after reading this. This is Capcom for God's sake who make fighting games with elaborate setups. The mechanics in DMC are obviously channeling every fightin game Capcom has made. How in this world all of these games don't have similar training modes is insanity. Just set a max enemy limit, pick an arena, and allow us to tweak with the pause menu. We will run handicaps on the enemies. No more running through stages to get to specific areas to do combos please.

Coming from taking like 5tb of data, cutting the fluff, trimming the files, and encoding to h264, yes UT is welcome. A quick editor of segments would be godlike. If you had to upload a 5min video of straight stuff, people will see your slip-ups. Nobody is godlike enough to pull off 100% without playing it safe (well maybe like 1-2 people). You should see the cut reel on the SM Cerb/Beo combo I did. I have an LOTR trilogy length of garbage and I don't think I'm bad at inputs. An option to upload to a private area to manipulate the clip would solve this.

jett said:
Godlike if you can get the delicate setup. Unbelievably awful if you can't.

To maintain 60fps, you need a beast rig. I can run it 1400x1050 with a shit ton of SLI using my GTX285 TRI-SLI. I also have an i7 @ 4.0ghz. I never had the frame-rate drop below 60fps. On slower rigs, you need to work around the shitty frame-rate. You would first drop driver AA. If that doesn't work, then you have to remove certain music files from the game because the sound engine is a piece of shit.

To get any controller working you have to download the 1.30 JPN patch. It only gives you a crappy exe with an ini to work with. To use a 360 controller, you can't use the exe GUI so you have to hardcode the ini. You need the perfect controller name or it won't recognize. Even with that the triggers don't work so you need to use something like joy2key to finalize the scheme. You can also use a DS2 converter that I put in the OP. That's what I use and it works flawlessly.

If you can work around this or power through it? Well, you have the ultimate version of DMC3 no question. You can check out some of my videos (grab the 60fps ones) to see what is achievable. However, only DMC3 nuts will invest this much time into such an endeavor. ;)

Dahbomb said:
It has a control patch which is a must. Other than that it's decent though. There are probably mods out there for it that make it better but don't know. It's good enough for me but you need a decent rig to make it run at 60FPS, it's poorly optimized. The DMC4 PC port is GODLIKE compared to this (well the DMC4 PC port is godlike compared to many ports out there so it's really an unfair comparison).
Unfortunately, I never found any worthwhile mods. And yes, the DMC4 PC port is beyond godlike.
qeuUI.jpg

Can never get enough.

Somebody created a thread for youtube implementation in a DMC anniv over at the ask capcom forums at capcom unity. I guess if there is one avenue to sort of get that idea in it could be over there.

gunbo13

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Somebody created a thread for youtube implementation in a DMC anniv over at the ask capcom forums at capcom unity. I guess if there is one avenue to sort of get that idea in it could be over there.
We should alert them to the dedication of DMCgaf. Tell them to give us EVERYTHING we want plus cookies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The PC shots of DMC4 make me jealous. Going to have to make a run through that game again albeit on the PS3 version. :(

jett

D-Member
Yeah I don't think I will be bothering with DMC3 on PC. :p

DMC4PC really does run fantastic even on modest systems. Framework engine is the best.

Raonak

Banned
I can't really see much difference between the PC and ps3 version (was playing ps3 ver last night) Seems like they're using all same assets?

I think DMC4 holds out extrememly well, it's got great IQ. I usually only recognise ailising and resolution(which often go hand in hand) barely saw ailiasing in DMC4, only in the forest shadows

Imagine if the unnounced game, is just that DmC is getting ported to the vita.
jbfIuauUM.jpg

gunbo13

Raonak said:
I can't really see much difference between the PC and ps3 version (was playing ps3 ver last night) Seems like they're using all same assets?
I have both versions as well.

If you see DMC4 on PC @ 1080p with max AA 60fps locked, there is a huge difference. I'll post up videos soon just to show it off a bit with crf15. I'll have to see how much AA fraps will allow me on capture though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Raonak said:

I think DMC4 holds out extrememly well, it's got great IQ. I usually only recognise ailising and resolution(which often go hand in hand) barely saw ailiasing in DMC4, only in the forest shadows
I just want to get my hands on the LDK mode. God, the chaos...

Kp8jY.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God. I miss Devil May Cry.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
33-Hit-Combo said:
Good lord, what's going on there?
Chaos.

The only thing close on the console version is level 99 of Bloody Palace where you fight 40 Bianco Angelos (and the framerate goes to hell).

Hmmm...I wonder if I'm still good enough to make it through BP.

gunbo13 said:
Good idea. I'll see what I can do on LDK.
My frothing demand for this video increases.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chamber said:
I just want to get my hands on the LDK mode. God, the chaos...

http://i.imgur.com/Kp8jY.jpg

Destroyed this mode. That section is much more enjoyable than on the "regular" difficulties, though essentially fucking impossible on Hell and Hell which I will absolutely never beat and I'm okay with that.

And yes, the PC version is so well-optimized in blows my damn mind. The boss models in particular look delicious.

edit: Here's one of the first (the first?) fights in the game in LDK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_fZi2GBFDg

Top Bottom