• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 10th Anniversary Thread: You Lose Again, Gravity! [Up: Combo Videos]

All this discussion is making me want to get into the more advanced aspects of the combat. I was never very good at getting the timing just right on a lot of moves. The fact that there's this whole other level that you can engage the game in is a good feeling, though. It gives it greater legs in terms of replay and as an experience as opposed to, say, God of War (not that I don't like GoW).

It's like Street Fighter or other fighting games- you can play a lot and get real good at just the basic stuff and survive hard mode. But then you can also go in depth and really master the game. Someone claimed DMC (as a series) was a button masher and I couldn't express my bafflement. It hurt my head.

Aurarian

Anyone got a good way of getting a blue orb fragment in Mission 3 of DMC4. It's where the plank is and you have to far jump to the opposite side. I've been sitting here for half an hour trying to get to that ledge by stinger + roulette spin + air hike. Also, I think I figured out how to charge while in battle. If I start the charge and then grab, it seems to let off right after the grab.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
First Name said:
All this discussion is making me want to get into the more advanced aspects of the combat. I was never very good at getting the timing just right on a lot of moves. The fact that there's this whole other level that you can engage the game in is a good feeling, though. It gives it greater legs in terms of replay and as an experience as opposed to, say, God of War (not that I don't like GoW).

It's like Street Fighter or other fighting games- you can play a lot and get real good at just the basic stuff and survive hard mode. But then you can also go in depth and really master the game. Someone claimed DMC (as a series) was a button masher and I couldn't express my bafflement. It hurt my head.

It always surprises me when people say things like this. I've heard the same statement before from people that Stinger'd their way through the games and abused health items. It's those same people that play Ninja Gaiden and simply Flying Swallow and abuse health items. Just because they don't bother accessing the depth of the combat system doesn't mean it isn't there... Usually it just takes a simple combo video to make it clear why these aren't simple button mashers... but other times those people simply can't understand the intricacies of what's being shown.

Aurarian said:
Anyone got a good way of getting a blue orb fragment in Mission 3 of DMC4. It's where the plank is and you have to far jump to the opposite side. I've been sitting here for half an hour trying to get to that ledge by stinger + roulette spin + air hike. Also, I think I figured out how to charge while in battle. If I start the charge and then grab, it seems to let off right after the grab.

Are you sure you're talking about Mission 3? That's Fortuna Castle, right? I don't remember any planks.

If you're talking about the blue item that's sitting high up on the ledge on the right side of the lobby area, that's not a blue orb fragment. It's a Holy Water. You won't be able to reach it until you have Exceed lvl 3.

Aurarian

GuardianE said:
Are you sure you're talking about Mission 3? That's Fortuna Castle, right? I don't remember any planks.

If you're talking about the blue item that's sitting high up on the ledge on the right side of the lobby area, that's not a blue orb fragment. It's a Holy Water. You won't be able to reach it until you have Exceed lvl 3.

Yeah, it's right at the beginning when you're in the mineshaft.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aurarian said:
Yeah, it's right at the beginning when you're in the mineshaft.

Oh, right. That one's annoying. I think what you've already tried- Streak->Roulette Spin-> Air Hike is really the best way to get it early on. Make sure you're facing the right way when you Streak by looking at the little mini-map in the lower right corner of the HUD, do the Roulette Spin kinda slow while pressing in the direction of the secret area, and Hike at the end of the Roulette Spin. It's a little tricky.

When you say "Charge in battle", are you talking about the Exceed or the Guns? For Exceed, you just need to time the Exceed button press along with the sword slashes. For Charge Shots, there's no way to instantly get charge.

EDIT: I think I know what you mean about charge in battle now. You mean charging the guns without changing the button layout. I actually used to do it by holding down the Gun button with the edge of my thumb and tapping the Attack button with the other edge of my thumb. For Buster or Snatch, I'd have to get creative. It's recommended to change your button layout if you want to implement Charge Shots into your play. You don't have to do it, but it makes life easier since Charge Shot 3 is overpowered + gives free Style points.

Aurarian

GuardianE said:
Oh, right. That one's annoying. I think what you've already tried- Streak->Roulette Spin-> Air Hike is really the best way to get it early on. Make sure you're facing the right way when you Streak by looking at the little mini-map in the lower right corner of the HUD, do the Roulette Spin kinda slow while pressing in the direction of the secret area, and Hike at the end of the Roulette Spin. It's a little tricky.

When you say "Charge in battle", are you talking about the Exceed or the Guns? For Exceed, you just need to time the Exceed button press along with the sword slashes. For Charge Shots, there's no way to instantly get charge.

EDIT: I think I know what you mean about charge in battle now. You mean charging the guns without changing the button layout. I actually used to do it by holding down the Gun button with the edge of my thumb and tapping the Attack button with the other edge of my thumb. For Buster or Snatch, I'd have to get creative. It's recommended to change your button layout if you want to implement Charge Shots into your play. You don't have to do it, but it makes life easier since Charge Shot 3 is overpowered + gives free Style points.

Yeah, I meant the guns. I hold L1 down for a sec and then grab +let go. Dunno if that's right.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aurarian said:
Yeah, I meant the guns. I hold L1 down for a sec and then grab +let go. Dunno if that's right.

You've actually assigned it to a shoulder button? There's no trick to it. Just release when you want a charge shot. You don't need to grab to use a charge shot. As long as you're not performing an uncancelable move, you'll use the charge shot as soon as you let go of the button. Do it whenever you feel like it. Nero's arm will glow different colors depending on the level of Charge (Violet for level 2, Red for level 3, I believe). It takes quite a while to charge to level 3 and you can do any attacks while charging (aside from gun attacks, obviously).

gunbo13

First Name said:

It's difficult but rewarding. I'll tell you the secret though. It is all about being creative and adapting on the fly. You can copy+paste from youtube videos but that is boring. So you have to go into the mission 16 lab and start experimenting. Make sure you catalog all your available moves as a checklist and your possible cancels.

For example, recently I went in with Reb/Nev on SM. So you make a quick mental checklist. This is what I thought up before going in today.

Reb:
-Don't abuse stinger
-Rebound off helm breaker but try something new *I went with dual attack / single cancel on drop*
-Million stab is a great intro and finish, not great for the middle due to frame lag
-Combo 1 is boring, use 2
-Drive is cool but use it sparingly and try to come up with unique finishers / middle mix-ups *I'm still working on improving my drive usage*
-Mix pop shredder with high time to avoid static combos
-Check out aerial rave canceling more *Found to be boring*
-Try to fit sword pierce in *Worked out great by canceling into Nevan / kick*
-Find a way to fit dance macabre in without making it seem forced *I went with perfect distancing on an aerial juggle canceled straight into the first attack*
-Mix in surfing *Enemies recover fast on dual attack / single cancel helm :(. I will have to work some more.*

Nev:
-Use reverb instead of stinger
-Use bat rift like I did with vollyball *Yep, did just that but will shy away from it from now on*
-Mix in jam session *Nope, sucks with Reb and always looks forced*
-Mix in air raid *Nothing cooking yet*
-Use airplay to keep projectiles up *I haven't done this right*
-Mix in air slash with aerial rave but watch the KD effect except near walls
-Use feedback as one of your closers but watch crazy roll on KD
-Finish with distortion *I'm overusing it but found a nice mix-up with distortion + sword pierce*

Yea, so this might sound like some crazy information to some but I find fun in breaking this stuff down. As you experiment you start to find links you like. An example would be my distortion + sword pierce + kick link. I latched onto it and then made it a goal to mix it into a nice user combo. You'll find a bunch of other links you like and then you repeat.

The difficulty comes in adapting on the fly. Not only do you have to be quick but the action on screen will never match what is on paper. You also want to be able to work with what you would call mistakes. If you throw out a launcher when you should have kept on ground melee, then adapt. That's how you discover stuff.

There is probably more calculations to maintain then godlike reflexes. Think of speed chess. ;)

gunbo13

I'm going dark on combo vids for now. I showed some rough tech but I'm going to save anything else. Maybe something on 10/17 08/23. ;)

I've never been able to pull Stinger->Wild Stomp very consistently. =( Requires as much mashing as Exteneded Ultimate Tempest.

Plus that old glitch I forgot where you can do instant charges (does not involve hidden buffering).

Anteater

damn dmc on hard is pretty hard, @mission 6 but enemies in mission 5 were kicking my ass: Phantom chase, Shadows in a narrow hallway, Scissor guy then finally Nelo Angelo.

Those normal enemies were giving me trouble :lol, I can't imagine this game on dmd mode. The hardest part so far is how strict the timing is to dodge attacks, and I always roll at the wrong direction when camera changes, then there's the offscreen attacks once I fall out of the view.

gunbo13

Wolf Akela said:
I've never been able to pull Stinger->Wild Stomp very consistently. =( Requires as much mashing as Exteneded Ultimate Tempest.
It's not that bad but I don't think that is that great a link regardless. WS is best used after airborne. Same with the tempest and most mashing attacks of this type.

Wolf Akela said:
Plus that old glitch I forgot where you can do instant charges (does not involve hidden buffering).
You're probably talking about just or perfect frames kicking something off; not sure. A lot of what happens in DMC3 could be considered glitches of sorts.

Anteater said:
damn dmc on hard is pretty hard, @mission 6 but enemies in mission 5 were kicking my ass: Phantom chase, Shadows in a narrow hallway, Scissor guy then finally Nelo Angelo.

Those normal enemies were giving me trouble :lol, I can't imagine this game on dmd mode. The hardest part so far is how strict the timing is to dodge attacks, and I always roll at the wrong direction when camera changes, then there's the offscreen attacks once I fall out of the view.
A big part of dodging in DMC is audio queues. Most enemies make some sort of sound effect to cue you in that you have to dodge. Don't rely on the roll only for dodging. NOTHING is a better escape in DMC titles then to just air hike the hell out of trouble especially if you are good at using projectiles to maintain proper hover.

DMD mode is about not getting hit. There are very few gameplay changes. But yea...just DON'T GET HIT. ;)

gunbo13 said:
You're probably talking about just or perfect frames kicking something off; not sure.
Not exactly. I forgot the exact mechanics. It's on YouTube but I'm gonna have a very difficult time finding it. I do remember the vid showing Vergil performing an Aerial Rave finisher very close to the ground then performed a Judgment Cut as soon as he touched the ground. There definitely wasn't enough time even if you held Triangle starting with the AR finisher.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo, do you have a copy of the 100% DMC3 save? The ones that I've found online are either a) just someone who put in the cheat code and created a save without doing any progress or b) leveled up certain things, but only completed normal mode.

I'm trying to jump right into DMD now that I played through fresh last week. I don't want to bother with Very Hard.

gunbo13

Wolf Akela said:
Not exactly. I forgot the exact mechanics. It's on YouTube but I'm gonna have a very difficult time finding it. I do remember the vid showing Vergil performing an Aerial Rave finisher very close to the ground then performed a Judgment Cut as soon as he touched the ground. There definitely wasn't enough time even if you held Triangle starting with the AR finisher.
Maybe some quick charge stuff going on with perfect frames. If it is Vergil specific then you got me. I don't know shit about Dahbomb's buddy. I do notice different charge speeds at times with Dante's drive if that is an indicator.

GuardianE said:
gunbo, do you have a copy of the 100% DMC3 save? The ones that I've found online are either a) just someone who put in the cheat code and created a save without doing any progress or b) leveled up certain things, but only completed normal mode.

I'm trying to jump right into DMD now that I played through fresh last week. I don't want to bother with Very Hard.
I'll put it up on mediafire tonight. However, the ones I scored have Dante and Vergil split between two saves...not sure why the hell that is. So if you want to switch over you have to swap the saves.

Yea, it was a total pain finding one. I found it off some Spanish youtube video lol. It is missing some blue orb fragments though. Two secret missions weren't done on Dante and a frag is missing. I would run through some stuff on easy to get those frags. After you are done, you can send me back the real deal right? ;)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
I'll put it up on mediafire tonight. However, the ones I scored have Dante and Vergil split between two saves...not sure why the hell that is. So if you want to switch over you have to swap the saves.

Yea, it was a total pain finding one. I found it off some Spanish youtube video lol. It is missing some blue orb fragments though. Two secret missions weren't done on Dante and a frag is missing. I would run through some stuff on easy to get those frags. After you are done, you can send me back the real deal right? ;)

Haha, the blue orb fragments aren't a big deal to me since I don't plan on getting hit. ;) J/k

Two secret missions are easy peasy, but there's one lone fragment out there somewhere? That's kind of annoying.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
Haha, the blue orb fragments aren't a big deal to me since I don't plan on getting hit. ;) J/k

Two secret missions are easy peasy, but there's one lone fragment out there somewhere? That's kind of annoying.
I know. That's why I said **** it and didn't bother. You will probably find them doing DMD though right? It's probably an adjudicator or something stupid like that blue orb sitting outside early in the tower climb. I'm just leaving it though since I'm done with play-throughs; same with DMC4. I'm considering a DMC1 DMD though...I need to quick save to style and cap.

EDIT:
Does anyone know if you can cancel helm on a KD enemy and get credit for the damage? I do it a bunch of times in my Reb/Nev video but I can't tell from the frames. I'm either jump canceling, getting one helm at the tail, or I'm getting both helms on hit. I see both damn frame sets. You typically don't helm break on enemies who KD from it so it is quite weird. It looks kinds cool regardless.

FreeMufasa

First Name said:

Quite a few actually. I've gotta admit too, it's comments like this that made me play the series in 2010 as opposed to 2002. I blame myself

Aurarian said:
So I just got to part where they switch Nero out for Dante. He feels fucking weird in this game.

yes and really he is out of place, but also it is a matter of preference.

Dante is overpowered and got gimped in terms of weapons and moves. And he controls more like the traditional set, but got trickster ^^

Some people prefer Nero, but I love Dante.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wolf Akela said:
Dante is ultra nerfed in DMC4 despite on-the-fly style switching. =(

How so? The gameplay is built around Nero's arm, granted. But I find Dante to be just as powerful if not more so (minus Pandora, which sucks shit) in DMC4. IIRC he can switch between Virgil's sword and then gunslinger juggle someone pretty easy. Not to mention the Evasion style/Tablehopper to get up to them.

Dahbomb

Styles are nerfed a lot but Dante is still a major powerhouse in the game. Gilgamesh and Lucifer are just too OP. Dante only lacks in crowd control though but his game against single opponents is just TOO GOOD, bosses and enemies alike.

Dante has a secret God Fist move for Gilgamesh that is just
... well you have to see it to believe it. Fight was on DMD mode BTW.

I can explain the mechanics behind it if you are interested.

Demon Ice

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Styles are nerfed a lot but Dante is still a major powerhouse in the game. Gilgamesh and Lucifer are just too OP. Dante only lacks in crowd control though but his game against single opponents is just TOO GOOD, bosses and enemies alike.

Dante has a secret God Fist move for Gilgamesh that is just
... well you have to see it to believe it. Fight was on DMD mode BTW.

I can explain the mechanics behind it if you are interested.

It's been a year since I played up the game so my memory is rusty, but you pull that off by releasing the charged up attack on the same frame as the steam release right? In other words, as soon as the Gilgamesh hits the 2nd stage of the charge, you release?

How so? The gameplay is built around Nero's arm, granted. But I find Dante to be just as powerful if not more so (minus Pandora, which sucks shit) in DMC4. IIRC he can switch between Virgil's sword and then gunslinger juggle someone pretty easy. Not to mention the Evasion style/Tablehopper to get up to them.

Devil Arms
Rebellion = buffed in general with Quick Drive. Nerfed because you can't buffer Round Trip while using other weapons. SM moves are fine.
Gilgamesh = impractical for regular combat due to lack of speed. Best at certain situations; absolutely DESTROYS bosses if you combine just framed charges and DT cancelling. Its "Killer Bee" doesn't home anymore. SM moves are okay, but I don't like how much you can't do a rising uppercut as instantly as Beowulf. Why bother with Real Impact when DT cancelling is so much better and safer?
Lucifer = Pin Up, Splash and rose throw is all that's useful. SM moves aren't that great.

Guns
E&I = Nerfed. Damage severely drops over distance. GS moves useless as ever, but at least no need to mash Rainstorm.
Shotgun = OMGWTFNERF. Extremely laggy. Outdamaged by E&I at point blank. GS moves even more useless. My favorite gun in DMC3 is now something I don't even want to use.
Pandora = Railgun and either first or third rocket launcher. What else do you use?

Styles
Trickster = Distances were not adjusted to compensate for the general increase in land area, which makes it less useful than it was in DMC3. No Sky Star hopping. Mustang is useless.
Swordmaster = discussed above
Gunslinger = discussed above
Royalguard = Nerfed beyond belief. Rage meter takes forever to fill up. No more roll guards.
Darkslayer = Could have been so so much better. All people use this for is Aerial Rave V. Ground combo is bad and they decided to use Dimensional Slash twice which isn't even a super great move.

Dante really needs a lot of tweaking to get him back to his DMC3 level. He wasn't exactly the upgrade from DMC3 people expected.

Dahbomb

Demon Ice said:
It's been a year since I played up the game so my memory is rusty, but you pull that off by releasing the charged up attack on the same frame as the steam release right? In other words, as soon as the Gilgamesh hits the 2nd stage of the charge, you release?
That's only half of it.

There are 2 exploits/glitches/mechanics/bugs/tricks at work here (whatever you want to call them there is debate over it so I will call them "mechanics" for now) :

1) Just Devil Trigger "Boost" mechanic - If you activate or de-activate DT at the last impact of a hit (have to time it, just frame possibly) it will boost it's damage tremendously. It's not the regular boost of DT, it's more than that (like doubling or tripling in strength). For mult-hitting attacks like Real Impact, you can activate DT on the first hit and de-activate for the last hit all with precise timing and you can get MASSIVE damage from the move.

2) Just Gilgamesh Charge mechanic - For any move of Gilgamesh that can be charged, if you release the LVL2 charge at the exact frame that it finishes charge you will get a much more powerful version of that move (basically what you described exactly). We are talking a boost of over 2-3 times in damage of a normally LVL2 charged move.

Straight when fully charged does the most damage out of all Gilgamesh moves (it's a single hitter). Real Impact cannot be charged so you can't use Just Charge with it. You can Just Devil Trigger boost Straight too. If you do both at the same time... it's like you hit the opponent with 10 LVL2 Charged Straights at once.

Very strict timing is required to pull this off (and it's two different frame timings at once at work here). But the reward more than makes up for it.

Don't forget the loss of Crazy Combos in DMC4 :'(

I have never, ever found Lucifer remotely appealing to use because there's absolutely no feeling of impact while using it. Can someone persuade me that it's actually sort of neat?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dahbomb said:
That's only half of it.

There are 2 exploits/glitches/mechanics/bugs/tricks at work here (whatever you want to call them there is debate over it so I will call them "mechanics" for now) :

1) Just Devil Trigger "Boost" mechanic - If you activate or de-activate DT at the last impact of a hit (have to time it, just frame possibly) it will boost it's damage tremendously. It's not the regular boost of DT, it's more than that (like doubling or tripling in strength). For mult-hitting attacks like Real Impact, you can activate DT on the first hit and de-activate for the last hit all with precise timing and you can get MASSIVE damage from the move.

2) Just Gilgamesh Charge mechanic - For any move of Gilgamesh that can be charged, if you release the LVL2 charge at the exact frame that it finishes charge you will get a much more powerful version of that move (basically what you described exactly). We are talking a boost of over 2-3 times in damage of a normally LVL2 charged move.

Straight when fully charged does the most damage out of all Gilgamesh moves (it's a single hitter). Real Impact cannot be charged so you can't use Just Charge with it. You can Just Devil Trigger boost Straight too. If you do both at the same time... it's like you hit the opponent with 10 LVL2 Charged Straights at once.

Very strict timing is required to pull this off (and it's two different frame timings at once at work here). But the reward more than makes up for it.

Ah, I knew all about the Devil Trigger Distortion, I never knew about the Just Charge for Gilgamesh. Interesting stuff.

Demon Ice

Banned
Dahbomb said:
That's only half of it.

Ah yes, I remember that now. Doing that for the final strike in Dance Macabre is also quite rewarding.

Raonak

Banned
Damn thread. Made me re-buy DMC4 (had traded it in for bayonetta, but bayo was good, but not the DMC5 i imagined it to be.)

Nero's pretty fun when you get the hang of using the Ex-charge (timed R2 when you're attacking) He still feels to repetitive.

is it me or does performing enemy step seem so much easier in this game?

Also, the storyline makes much more sense when I accept that nero is vergil's son. (im assuming dante's around 35 in DMC4, nero being 18, which would have meant vergil got someone knocked up when he was around 17. which is plausible. a bit out of character, but I can see it happening.)

Raonak said:
Damn thread. Made me re-buy DMC4 (had traded it in for bayonetta, but bayo was good, but not the DMC5 i imagined it to be.)

Nero's pretty fun when you get the hang of using the Ex-charge (timed R2 when you're attacking) He still feels to repetitive.

is it me or does performing enemy step seem so much easier in this game?

Also, the storyline makes much more sense when I accept that nero is vergil's son. (im assuming dante's around 35 in DMC4, nero being 18, which would have meant vergil got someone knocked up when he was around 17. which is plausible. a bit out of character, but I can see it happening.)

I do find it easier, which is not surprising because DMC4's focus (and thus introducing Nero) was to orient newcomers...like all Capcom does nowadays

The moves are easier too, and I attribute it to the above and the 3D camera. I found DMC3 to be challenging at times to pull off certain moves

Nero's real fun with the ex-charge, he just doesn't have enough moves and weapons

hamchan

Playing DMC3:SE again. I am so bad at this game and will probably never get into all the advanced combat described in this thread but I still love it. I've realized recently that Action games that focus on combat is one of my favorite genres. Ninja Gaiden, DMC, God of War, Bayonetta, etc, I love them all.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Isnt it common knowledge that nero is vergils son?

Yes.

Anteater

Wolf Akela said:
That's only manga canon.

Every single DMC manga eventually became non-canon the moment the game sequel comes out.

Well I think it probably doesn't really matter with capcom as they seem to always like changing the director and their material a lot, we'll just take whatever they toss at us currently as canon.

Kamiya doesn't even know who Nero and Lady are :lol

gunbo13

OK serious question time (not really). I am doing combo videos, yes that much is true. How do you guys think I should release them? What games, characters first? Save everything to the anniversary or release stuff in-between?

I don't know what sounds best so I'll leave it up to the thread. Taking requests might be easiest because I don't care what order.

EDIT:
I prefer DMC3SE at this very moment.

Aurarian

Anyone got some tips on Secret Mission 9 in DMC4? It's the one with the chimera seeds and lizards where you can't get hit at all or captured by the plants that come from the ground. It's so annoying to get really close and get a dumb projectile or stupid hit that comes as you're getting ready to jump back in the air.

I am replaying DMC4 thanks to this thread. I didn't finish it the first time I played it, although I like to think I saw all that was on offer. I got up to controlling Dante then quit since I thought it was basically just the same game all over again, but this time i'm determined to finish it.

I must admit that I do like this a bit more than DMC1 (the only other game in the series that I fully played). I think the devil bringer and charging the sword are really neat mechanics which spice up the action quite a bit. It's not quite Bayonetta levels, but I think it's definitely some of the more technical gameplay that the genre has to offer. Nero is also a pretty decent character imo, certainly a lot better than shit Dante in the new DmC - Nere's not quite old Dante levels of cool, but you do get to play as him too for half the game, and I love their on-screen chemistry together. I also like how he's a bit more driven because of Kyrie.

The game still looks stunning today on PC in 1080p too. I like the soundtrack as well.

Raonak

Banned
lowhighkang_LHK said:
Isnt it common knowledge that nero is vergils son?

You should have seen the official forums when the novel first came out... so much denial.

I always thought that the ghost thing nero has behind him when he DT'd was Nelo Angelo, and that Vergil was trying to possess Nero via the demon hand, sorta like Ocelot and Liquid.
Not the only similarities.
4 numbered games...
Twins, one good, one evil
Legendary father
3rd game a prequel
Mother's name is eva (well, surrogate in MGS)
And a character has a screwed up hand that the evil twin is trying to possess from the dead :O

gunbo13

Ranking of best weapons to style in swordmaster
1. Cerberus
2. Agni and Rudra
3. Beowulf
4. Rebellion
5. Nevan

Ranking of best weapons to kill in swordmaster
1. Nevan
2. Beowulf
3. Agni and Rudra
4. Cerberus
5. Rebellion

Always interesting stuff in DMC3SE

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Raonak said:
You should have seen the official forums when the novel first came out... so much denial.

I always thought that the ghost thing nero has behind him when he DT'd was Nelo Angelo, and that Vergil was trying to possess Nero via the demon hand, sorta like Ocelot and Liquid.
Not the only similarities.
4 numbered games...
Twins, one good, one evil
Legendary father
3rd game a prequel
Mother's name is eva (well, surrogate in MGS)
And a character has a screwed up hand that the evil twin is trying to possess from the dead :O

Ew, please don't make comparisons to MGS lore. :p

There are a number of allusions to Nero's relationship to Vergil. The fact that he could harness the power of Yamato when others couldn't... and it actually prompted his Devil Trigger. Dante giving the sword to Nero despite saying earlier that it should "stay in the family." Dante "had his own reasons for helping." It's never explicitly stated, though. How old is Nero officially in DMC4? And how old is Dante?

In DMC3, I believe that both Dante and Vergil were supposed to be 19?

Aurarian

Finished the game last night. I had eight missions left and decided to plow through it since my internet was down. Once I got used to playing as Dante, it was pretty sweet. He is definitely overpowered in this game. The only enemies I had trouble with when using him were the mephistos/fausts because I was so used to snatching with Nero till they reverted to bug form. Bosses were pitifully easy as Dante. The only thing I really hated in this game was the switching out between Dante and Nero and of course most of characters cause frankly who gives a shit about anyone but Dante in this game(OK OK, maybe Trish, Lady, and Nero as well?) I loved one particular cutscene in Mission 17 where
Agnus and Dante do a performance/parody of a play together

My favorite game is still DMC3 out of the entire series. That was the one that got me interested in playing the others. I would say that for me specifically it would 3 > 4/1(vying for second place) > 2(played a little just to see how it was like).

gunbo13

OK I've decided I will be releasing a swordmaster combo video in the next few weeks for DMC3SE. It will cover almost all combinations of SM and will show a variety of play-styles. I would actually look forward to it since I got some nice stuff already cooking. ;)

I will likely follow with a gunslinger/trickster video for DMC3. RG/dopple are unlikely but still not ruled out. Then I'm moving to Vergil. I hope to have Vergil tech out by the JPN anniversary. DMC1/DMC4 come next but I'm not sure which to attack first. I then will target those titles for the before NA anniversary. On the NA date I'll release compilations to celebrate our original date.

Hmmmm...thinking...

A lot of DMC in my future. I'm going to end up with arthritis after this shit.

gunbo13

Wolf Akela said:
Arthritis, psh... everyone know DMC3 is carpal tunnel syndrome simulator.
I was just in the lab for a few hours and I can't friggin type. The inventor of IcyHot must have come up with jump canceling.

gunbo13

HD Combo Video - Swordmaster - Compilation 1 - "Nevan Sucks"
zXFjQ.gif

I don't like you ^^^^
I still would

1400x1050
60fps MU / 30fps UT
CRF25 x264
MU - 1400x1050 - 60fps - 296.93mb
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C1BCY02W

UT - 720p - 30fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teWbbRqKjiI

Nevan is annoying to work with in SM. Oh I'm sure you expert youtube viewers out there are saying I'm full of shit cause you can post link
HTML:
vid
. Well screw you! Watch closely and see that the majority of the SM footage with Nevan is air raids. Nevan has suck lag and you can only use the SM moves as finishers. Otherwise, you look like your pants fell down or a total scrub when you use your firearms to bail out your crappy combos. Nevan = gunslinger, end of story.

/rant

Wow, I feel better now. I recycled a small bit of the A&R/Beo vid to keep it moving a bit better. This is still workprint stuff remember. I made the decision to share when a lot of this that will get cut when I do more flashy videos on the anniversary. It's the somewhat garbage reel! Rejoice DMC combo fans!

PS: This is a very very very techie type video.

Dahbomb

Ranking of best weapons to kill in swordmaster
1. Nevan
2. Beowulf
3. Agni and Rudra
4. Cerberus
5. Rebellion

A&R is fairly underpowered in DMD mode, unless you are including the Tempest glitch. Most of it's Swordmaster moves don't do enough damage. With Cerberus you get some nice quick damage out of Million Carats.

Top Bottom