• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 10th Anniversary Thread: You Lose Again, Gravity! [Up: Combo Videos]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
Here's a bit of encouragement for people trying to get DMC3SE up and running on PC since that's about all I can do.

The following video shows what DMC3SE on PC "can" do
1440x1050 0xAA
CRF25 @ x264
~60fps (minor fraps dips)
254.4mb

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4C36KFV5

Any dips below 60fps are caused by fraps. I play the game with SLI48xQ and AA was turned off for recording. The video is highly compressed but still looks quite good IMO. It's the same capture as one of my ut videos but uses the OST.

This is worth watching for any DMC fan. More improved videos will follow in the future.

Looks ridiculously good. I'd love to max it out as well. Would you mind listing the specs for your PC? I'm almost certain I'm gonna get it. The number of times I've bought DMC3 has almost rivaled RE4 at this point.

Valnen

gunbo13 said:
Here's a bit of encouragement for people trying to get DMC3SE up and running on PC since that's about all I can do.

The following video shows what DMC3SE on PC "can" do
1440x1050 0xAA
CRF25 @ x264
~60fps (minor fraps dips)
254.4mb

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4C36KFV5

Any dips below 60fps are caused by fraps. I play the game with SLI48xQ and AA was turned off for recording. The video is highly compressed but still looks quite good IMO. It's the same capture as one of my ut videos but uses the OST.

This is worth watching for any DMC fan. More improved videos will follow in the future.
The huge problem with DMC3 on PC is the majority of performance issues are caused by the sound engine, if I remember right. Such a shame that it was so badly ported.

I also seem to remember it having graphical issues with particle effects.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Valnen said:
The huge problem with DMC3 on PC is the majority of performance issues are caused by the sound engine, if I remember right. Such a shame that it was so badly ported.

I also seem to remember it having graphical issues with particle effects.

Did the patch fix the sound issues? I know it was a resource hog back in 2006, but I would hope that most machines can run it pretty well now. That video looks amazing, so if it's possible to get it looking like that with a little work, it's worth it to me.

Valnen

GuardianE said:
Did the patch fix the sound issues? I know it was a resource hog back in 2006, but I would hope that most machines can run it pretty well now. That video looks amazing, so if it's possible to get it looking like that with a little work, it's worth it to me.
I have the steam version of DMC3:SE, it still has the same sound engine issues for me as recent as December of last year.

Was there a fan patch since then or something?

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
Would you mind listing the specs for your PC? I'm almost certain I'm gonna get it. The number of times I've bought DMC3 has almost rivaled RE4 at this point.
i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
tri-sli GTX285
6gb ram
win7

DMC3SE - 1400x1050 - SLI 48xQ (AA)
w8QEM.jpg

ky5P7.jpg

0zv2c

WyEpx.jpg

I finally found a decent 100% 98% save. It was off a Spanish youtube link. Yet for some reason the dude didn't get the last two secret missions and is 1/4 on frags... Talk about annoying.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Valnen said:
I have the steam version of DMC3:SE, it still has the same sound engine issues for me as recent as December of last year.

Was there a fan patch since then or something?

No, I don't think so. What's the deal with the sound engine?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Valnen said:
For some reason, it severely impacts the overall performance of the game. On my PC (which is admittedly ancient but still within the system requirements for the game) the game gets bad framerates, but if you disable the sound the game runs quite smooth.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/931852-devil-may-cry-3-special-edition/45888598

Hm, I'm guessing not. They did a terribad job with the port, so it's a resource hog for no reason whatsoever. I'm just hoping that my more modern computer can simply strongarm the game into working properly regardless of the inefficiencies.

gunbo13

I'm working on my swordmaster technology in DMC3SE now.

Melee - Beowulf / Agni Rudra
Fire - Ebony & Ivory / Shotgun

I have gone through a bunch of swordmaster combinations before. However, this one just kicks total ass. Your firepower is mainly meant for stun and knock-back. If I was playing 1P I would use the Kalina Ann instead of the shotgun. Since I'm styling, I'm using the shotgun.

Abuse - Killer Bee, Hammer, Volcano, Jet Stream, Cross Swords, Sky Dance, Twister

The tech is crazy good combining these two weapons. You want to mix up your launches between Beowulf and A&R. You can sky dance + hammer without issue. You then can cancel straight into a killer bee + buffered twister with tempest. Godly! Use the volcano and cross swords for crowd control.

I can perfect through very hard runs but DMD will be very tough. This build requires juggles and open stun. So DMD might kick my ass for some time. I'll probably have to adjust my tech to compensate.

Fun

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Mechazawa said:
Picked this up last night after gunbo confirmed that DMC3 runs fine on Win7. I can't speak for the performance for the game as a whole. But, at the very least, the starting tutorial area runs at 60. As I would at least expect from a 5 year old game(although I am afraid my rig won't be able to make up for the lack of quality in the port given how beast gunbo's GPU set up is)

Now, the important part. While the gamepad config doesn't work for 360 controllers, the game does recognize it. So if I were to go into the "gamepad" setting in the ingame options, I would be capable of reassigning the buttons. Problem is, the sticks are reversed. Right stick is move and left stick pans the camera. So the trick is to go into the ini editor and plug in some new stuff. Gunbo updated the OP with an ini file and, while I'm sure it works, it doesn't work for Windows 7. I found that exact ini on the Steam forums from a 3 year old thread so my assumption is that that ini specifically is for Windows XP. So the trick was to search in the start menu and type "game controllers" and figure out what Win7 was classifying the 360 pad as.

Here's what anyone interested in giving the PC port with the 360 pad on Win7 will need to plug in:

And it has to be put in perfectly. I was missing a space between "Windows" and the parenthesis. I assume this also applies to any other gamepad anyone attempts to use.

(Also, highest setting is 1440x1050, not 1440x1080. That was kind of a confusing slip up.)

This is rather infuriating. I'm doing what you said, and typing you quoted into the .ini file (using notepad... should I use a program of some kind?), but the sticks are still reversed. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I have Windows 7.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
This is rather infuriating. I'm doing what you said, and typing you quoted into the .ini file (using notepad... should I use a program of some kind?), but the sticks are still reversed. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I have Windows 7.
I just use the GUI, L<->R reverse

qxrup.jpg

My .ini looks like this.

[Twin USB Vibration Gamepad]
START = 9
SELECT = 8
CIRCLE = 1
TRIANGLE = 0
SQUARE = 3
CROSS = 2
L1 = 6
R1 = 7
L2 = 4
R2 = 5
L3 = 10
R3 = 11
L<->R = 1

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
I just use the GUI, L<->R reverse

qxrup.jpg

My .ini looks like this.

[Twin USB Vibration Gamepad]
START = 9
SELECT = 8
CIRCLE = 1
TRIANGLE = 0
SQUARE = 3
CROSS = 2
L1 = 6
R1 = 7
L2 = 4
R2 = 5
L3 = 10
R3 = 11
L<->R = 1

Unfortunately, The GPadConfig doesn't work with the 360 controller. I got it working now. I actually had the to use the other name for the gamepad controller in the .ini:
[Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)]
Mechzawa's didn't work for me, despite us both having Windows 7. Weird.

Is there a way to change any visual settings whatsoever? I can only change resolution.

The other thing is, you can't assign mutliple actions to a single button, or disable any buttons from what I can tell. Every action needs to have a button, which sucks since I was going to switch the d-pad to function as change weapon/change gun (since the triggers don't work).

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
Unfortunately, The GPadConfig doesn't work with the 360 controller. I got it working now. I actually had the to use the other name for the gamepad controller in the .ini:
Mechzawa's didn't work for me, despite us both having Windows 7. Weird.

Is there a way to change any visual settings whatsoever? I can only change resolution.

The other thing is, you can't assign mutliple actions to a single button, or disable any buttons from what I can tell. Every action needs to have a button, which sucks since I was going to switch the d-pad to function as change weapon/change gun (since the triggers don't work).
There's no way to get the triggers working? I only did light research and saw people trying joy2key as one option. I would think there has to be a way. There are some threads on gamefaqs that may help as well.

EDIT:
You only change the resolution. Force AA via drivers.

Mechazawa

I figured out how to get the triggers working. Gunbo's right about using a key mapper.

Guardian, you want this in your ini:
START = 7
SELECT = 6
CIRCLE = 1
TRIANGLE = 3
SQUARE = 2
CROSS = 0
L1 = 11
R1 = 12
L2 = 4
R2 = 5
L3 = 8
R3 = 9
L<->R = 1

I swapped L1/R1's functions with L2/R2's. That way you get the weapon/gun changes on the bumpers. You can then presumably use any program like Joy2Key or Xpadder to take spacebar and and "N"(which are lock on and devil trigger on the keyboard) and map them to the triggers. I'm personally using ControlMK and the triggers in that program are represented as "Z-Axis -"(right trigger) and "Z-Axis +"(left trigger)

It's weird that controller line at the top was different for you. Fucking Windows man.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
There's no way to get the triggers working? I only did light research and saw people trying joy2key as one option. I would think there has to be a way. There are some threads on gamefaqs that may help as well.

EDIT:
You only change the resolution. Force AA via drivers.

I'll look into joy2key. Right now I'm kinda sad that my computer isn't running the game too hot. Framerate is all over the place. I kinda figured that my computer would be alright, but anything beyond Mission 2 is kinda chugging. Playable, but hugely variable.

My computer is an i7 quad core 2.1Ghz, 6 GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 6770 1GB. Maybe I can try closing stuff while running it. It's also running in windowed mode, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Mechazawa said:
I figured out how to get the triggers working. Gunbo's right about using a key mapper.

Guardian, you want this in your ini:

I swapped L1/R1's functions with L2/R2's. That way you get the weapon/gun changes on the bumpers. You can then presumably use any program like Joy2Key or Xpadder to take spacebar and and "N"(which are lock on and devil trigger on the keyboard) and map them to the triggers. I'm personally using ControlMK and the triggers in that program are represented as "Z-Axis -"(right trigger) and "Z-Axis +"(left trigger)

It's weird that controller line at the top was different for you. Fucking Windows man.

Hah, I know. I was like, why the hell isn't this working?!

I'm glad there are some possible solutions to the triggers.

gunbo13

Mechazawa said:

Awesome. Added to OP with credits.

GuardianE said:
I'll look into joy2key. Right now I'm kinda sad that my computer isn't running the game too hot. Framerate is all over the place. I kinda figured that my computer would be alright, but anything beyond Mission 2 is kinda chugging. Playable, but hugely variable.

My computer is an i7 quad core 2.1Ghz, 6 GB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 6770 1GB. Maybe I can try closing stuff while running it. It's also running in windowed mode, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.
This game could be CPU limited, which sucks horribly. I doubt your Radeon is holding it back. Remember, I'm only using a "single" GTX285 to render the game. My other card(s) are only on AA duty (or something along those lines). So your 6770 is pretty damn good.

Either that or it comes down to the sound issues. It could having nothing to do with your system and everything to do with what Valnen was saying. People I think delete or rename the music files to fix it. For reference, I'm using Realtek HD via SPDIF.

So it is either the CPU or the music engine. Sigh...so lame.

gunbo13

Early Swordmaster Tech - LQ
1400x1050 0xAA
CRF30 @ x264
~60fps (rare fraps dips)
40.63mb

http://www.mediafire.com/?ity2e7msfxj37x7

I compressed to CRF30 because I already have an HQ video posted. The colors really get stripped but it's OK IMO. I put in about 4-5 hours so far bringing out some swordmaster tech. It is quite rough right now with limited user combos but not bad for a start.

Type - Swordmaster, No Damage, No DT, No T-Flux, Very Hard
Melee - Beowulf / Agni Rudra
Fire - Ebony & Ivory / Shotgun
Abuse - Killer Bee, Hammer, Volcano, Jet Stream, Cross Swords, Sky Dance, Twister

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
This game could be CPU limited, which sucks horribly. I doubt your Radeon is holding it back. Remember, I'm only using a "single" GTX285 to render the game. My other card(s) are only on AA duty (or something along those lines). So your 6770 is pretty damn good.

Either that or it comes down to the sound issues. It could having nothing to do with your system and everything to do with what Valnen was saying. People I think delete or rename the music files to fix it. For reference, I'm using Realtek HD via SPDIF.

Well, at first I figured that it was the CPU as well. I opened up my Task Manager along with the game, though, and noticed that my CPU Usage never went above 10% throughout. How could I tell if it was the sound issue? I'll look into it.

Wish this port had gotten a little more care. :(

Valnen

It's probably a combination of the two. My CPU is the weakest part in my PC. By far. Stupid socket 939...
GuardianE said:
Well, at first I figured that it was the CPU as well. I opened up my Task Manager along with the game, though, and noticed that my CPU Usage never went above 10% throughout. How could I tell if it was the sound issue? I'll look into it.

Yeah...=(. It's one of the reasons I really want an HD collection. At least that would run well.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:

Try renaming the sound folder "Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition\sound" to something else. See if that fixes your FPS.

Yes, this port is shit. Yet it is godlike at the same time. You have to REALLY like DMC3 to even fathom working with this thing. I spent plenty of extra effort to get it working.

Valnen said:
It's probably a combination of the two. My CPU is the weakest part in my PC. By far. Stupid socket 939...

Yeah...=(. It's one of the reasons I really want an HD collection. At least that would run well.
It could be both, yes. We need a larger subset of players though to make conclusions. Even if I down-clocked my CPU or something, it isn't a perfect test. I can only verify how it works on my current config.

It sucks people are left in the dust by this port. It "can" be so godlike.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Ahh Good old DMC.

It really feels like yesterday when I first watched the trailer for DMC1 in my local Gamestop a decade ago.

It was gaming love at first sight too. I just knew it was going to be awesome, even though I knew nothing about it aside from the short trailers. I felt that shit in my motherfucking soul! I shit you people not.

Anyways.

DMC3 > DMC1
Vergil > Dante

Now If only there was some way to combine the atmosphere and aesthetic design of DMC1 and mix it with DMC3's gameplay and cutscenes. If only...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Valnen said:
I googled "Fix sound engine DMC3" and this thread is the first result. T_T

It doesn't look like there's any solid answer on this. And there probably aren't enough users with this issue to justify someone overhauling everything. I did find this in my search, though:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/

The problem arises with music that overlays other music. Mostly ambient and battle musics are the real culprits. Doing as listed in this topic, you can remove only the files that cause the problems... leaving cutscene and boss sounds in. All the sound effects are intact too, since those appear to be stored elsewhere. It's better than nothing. Sucks, but it definitely makes it playable. I can always play the soundtrack in the back or something.

When I had all the sounds intact, I could definitely play, but the framerate was somewhere in the realm of 25-60+ and it was distracting.

Oh and thanks, Mechzawa, the MKContoller did the trick. I now have bootleg triggers that function!

Also, my max screen resolution is 1152 X 864... what the heck? Is there a way to change that?

burgerdog said:
Does that 1.30 patch work with the steam version?

Steam seems to auto-update to version 1.30.

Valnen

Hrm. Someone in that thread mentioned that having a certain kind of sound card could fix it. I wonder if that's true...I may consider investing >.>.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
I can always play the soundtrack in the back or something.
Eh, you've heard the soundtrack enough anyways. I only play with the sound if I need audio cues in the fights (wraths and crap). Otherwise, I just play music. You get really sick of the OST after hearing it for 1000 hours. ;) Still lame though and I'm not sure why I don't have an issue.

GuardianE said:
Also, my max screen resolution is 1152 X 864... what the heck? Is there a way to change that?
Max should actually be 1600x1200 but it causes screwed up textures when I set it. Make sure you have the correct resolution profiles set up in your video drivers. I think the exact resolution is 1400x1050, though I have incorrectly stated every other combination possible in this thread.

Valnen said:
Hrm. Someone in that thread mentioned that having a certain kind of sound card could fix it. I wonder if that's true...I may consider investing >.>.
My on-board works correctly. We might be able to figure it out by checking settings.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
Eh, you've heard the soundtrack enough anyways. I only play with the sound if I need audio cues in the fights (wraths and crap). Otherwise, I just play music. You get really sick of the OST after hearing it for 1000 hours. ;) Still lame though and I'm not sure why I don't have an issue.

But I do love the soundtrack! I've heard the tracks countless times, but I guess it just irks me that they're missing from my game. :( Thank God the boss battles are in tact.

Aurarian

Finished DMC3 for the first time yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a bit and it was very challenging for me as well. Trying to play the first game but it's really hard to get used to Triangle as jump/roll. I really hate that and it doesn't seem to run well on PCSX2 for me. No 60 FPS isn't good at all.

Aurarian

Can anyone give me some tips on beating Phantom? He's really giving it to me. I'm so close to putting it in the backburner because of this.

Monocle

ezekial45 said:
Capcom Unity just posted the 10 Anniversary Art Contest on their blog (it's been on the UK blog for a couple weeks).

http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/07/13/devil_may_cry_10th_anniversary_art_contest

It seems really obvious now that it's gonna be the HD Remaster of either DMC1 or the first three games.
This is great news. Nothing rejuvenates my interest in games after a dry spell quite like a good fighting or action title. DMC1 and DMC3 are high on the list of my favorite games of all time, and I'm absolutely down for a good and proper nostalgia trip. (A nice palate cleanser to offset my rising gorge as I watch the trainwreck-on-stilts called DmC gallop toward oblivion.)

I think DMC1 aged really well. The only real problem is the camera (which is only occasionally bad) and the weird controls in the English version.

Aurarian said:
Can anyone give me some tips on beating Phantom? He's really giving it to me. I'm so close to putting it in the backburner because of this.

Focus on helm breakers on. The back. Jumping triangle.

Use air raid.

Atleast buff your health by one or two blue orbs.

Watc some youtube vids. There are tons im sure.

Aurarian

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Focus on helm breakers on. The back. Jumping triangle.

Use air raid.

Atleast buff your health by one or two blue orbs.

Watc some youtube vids. There are tons im sure.

How would I be able to afford those orbs/air raid without being able to replay the missions?

Dahbomb

Aurarian said:
How would I be able to afford those orbs/air raid without being able to replay the missions?
You can still go to previous rooms in the castles and keep going in and out of rooms to farm.

It's still possible to kill Phantom without Air Raid but having Air Raid makes this battle easy. Devil Trigger and then just slash at his back when it opens up. Dodging and rolling needs to be on point because his attacks will hurt a lot. When out of Devil Trigger, roll and keep Taunting (R2) to build Devil Trigger. And you will want to have the Handguns for this fight for the long ranged chip and increased float time in the air.

The weakness isn't exactly his back, it's more towards his tail. It opens and closes depending on what form he takes (Spider or Scorpion).

Aurarian

But the two doors are closed except the one having to deal with the talisman. Those skull enemies don't offer much either.?

Dahbomb

Aurarian said:
But the two doors are closed except the one having to deal with the talisman. Those skull enemies don't offer much either.?
There are some hidden red orbs on top of the entrance to the bridge. You can only get them once though. If you are locked out then just try to take on the Spider bare bones. Even with Air Raid, you still need to get his pattern down.

There's also a Secret mission in that mission. After defeating the Skulls, if you drop down again you will activate your first Secret mission which is killing an enemy off of a critical hit. You can attempt this mission multiple time for the red orbs if you wish.

As to how to beat the Secret mission... if I spoil that you will miss out on the fun of figuring it out yourself. :D

Aurarian

Dahbomb said:
There are some hidden red orbs on top of the entrance to the bridge. You can only get them once though. If you are locked out then just try to take on the Spider bare bones. Even with Air Raid, you still need to get his pattern down.

There's also a Secret mission in that mission. After defeating the Skulls, if you drop down again you will activate your first Secret mission which is killing an enemy off of a critical hit. You can attempt this mission multiple time for the red orbs if you wish.

As to how to beat the Secret mission... if I spoil that you will miss out on the fun of figuring it out yourself. :D
Is the mission triggered like in DMC3? Or is it different here? Didn't see a passage the first couple of times around.

Dahbomb

Aurarian said:
Is the mission triggered like in DMC3? Or is it different here? Didn't see a passage the first couple of times around.
There is no passage to the secret mission (as in there is no red door). It will activate automatically if you just drop down into the water after defeating the skulls.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You don't need Air Raid against Phantom, though I'm sure it makes it easier. Just get his pattern down and helm breaker like mad. On top of him, towards the back.

Dahbomb

Of course you don't NEED it. Hell to beat the entire game, you don't need anything more than E&I and Force Edge even on DMD mode. Provided that you have the skills of course.

Aurarian

Dahbomb said:
There is no passage to the secret mission (as in there is no red door). It will activate automatically if you just drop down into the water after defeating the skulls.

you sure? I keep dropping down and nothing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dahbomb said:
Of course you don't NEED it. Hell to beat the entire game, you don't need anything more than E&I and Force Edge even on DMD mode. Provided that you have the skills of course.

What I mean is that early orbs are generally better spent on more basic, but useful skills and power ups. Of course, the beauty of DMC is that you can upgrade whatever you want in whatever order you want (within reason), but I'd say he might want to put those orbs into something like Health or Devil Trigger if Phantom's giving him trouble.

TommyManberg said:
Didn't age well :(

I think you're either blind or you're greatly overestimating the graphical fidelity of the PS2.

Dahbomb

Aurarian said:
you sure? I keep dropping down and nothing.
You didn't fulfill the requirements then. You have to first go across, inside the room to make sure that the tablet is re-activated then go back out. Basically, do the mission normally then when you are about to fight Phantom, turn around go outside and drop down.

Aurarian

Dahbomb said:
You didn't fulfill the requirements then. You have to first go across, inside the room to make sure that the tablet is re-activated then go back out. Basically, do the mission normally then when you are about to fight Phantom, turn around go outside and drop down.

Nope, I just beat him and it finally activated. What a pain this one is as well. Is it wrong if I grind spiderboy a bit so I don't get wrecked so easily?

AND ON THAT BOMBSHELL: I DID IT.

Top Bottom