• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 10th Anniversary Thread: You Lose Again, Gravity! [Up: Combo Videos]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aurarian said:
Nope, I just beat him and it finally activated. What a pain this one is as well. Is it wrong if I grind spiderboy a bit so I don't get wrecked so easily?

AND ON THAT BOMBSHELL: I DID IT.

Hooray!

As a side note, I just beat DMC3:SE again on PC despite all the slowdowns and other headaches involved. Good God, I love this game. I've been playing a lot of DMC4 lately and going back to DMC3, it was surprising to me just how differently Dante handles in each. Besides the obvious style switching changes, weapon differences, and removal of crazy combos, there are a number of more subtle changes that add up to make him feel completely different.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aurarian said:
Is round trip or vortex worth getting? I know air hike is probably worth it but round trip doesn't seem that great.

I don't remember Round Trip being all that useful. Vortex was pretty powerful and has some mobility applications, but you may want to use the orbs to upgrade health/DT or save them for another weapon instead.

Aurarian

GuardianE said:
I don't remember Round Trip being all that useful. Vortex was pretty powerful and has some mobility applications, but you may want to use the orbs to upgrade health/DT or save them for another weapon instead.

There's only a limited number of those you can buy from the store just like in DMC3? I almost have one complete bar and five DT's.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
Hooray!

As a side note, I just beat DMC3:SE again on PC despite all the slowdowns and other headaches involved. Good God, I love this game. I've been playing a lot of DMC4 lately and going back to DMC3, it was surprising to me just how differently Dante handles in each. Besides the obvious style switching changes, weapon differences, and removal of crazy combos, there are a number of more subtle changes that add up to make him feel completely different.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's cool that everyone is ripping up some DMC1. I enjoyed it a lot last week.

I'll add some anniversary info to the OP in the next few days. I just moved and have no internet. I don't have the ability at work though I at least have two minutes to write this. ;) I'll also do a write-up on the emulation. Hardware specs, tweaks, hud issues, and some slowdown. Yes, on non-native settings you can get pick slowdown parts from particle effects. Fortunately, it isn't a big deal with the slower pace of DMC1.

Also, force edge + g-launcher is all you need in DMC1 to destroy the game. Abuse air raid, DT, and air hiking. The only real tough enemies in the game have the off-screen scythe attacks. Those are annoying.

Aurarian

Anyone know how to get that blue orb that's next to the entrance to the bridge. I keep DT'ing and Air Raiding but never quite manage to make it on top of the chunk. Trying to look on youtube for a video of someone doing it but no luck so far.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Aurarian said:
There's only a limited number of those you can buy from the store just like in DMC3? I almost have one complete bar and five DT's.

I believe so, yes. The others have to be obtained via Secret Missions or found inside missions themselves, like DMC3.

Aurarian

Ugh, I've stopped for today. I get to Nelo and I could beat him if it wasn't for this cheap shots when you climb up. Of course, running out of DT doesn't help since I try to use it to get an early lead. He basically can't do shit against DT if you have it from what it seems. Taunting doesn't seem to regain DT with Nelo though. Don't really wanna waste orbs on a Devil Star since the more you buy items, the more expensive they get and I have a feeling I'm gonna need them later on in the game.

gunbo13

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Wall jump on the higher ledges. Dont use the set wall jump animations.
Yep but I think you can also jump quick. The way you described is better though.

He indeed can't do shit about DT. If you use the normal melee string, you always hit on the last shot. To build meter use your firearms. When he starts his projective, use a stringer to interrupt with some damage. Just avoid his teleport melee attacks by jumping away and then stinger again. Dodge the swords fully and shoot at him before they come at you.

He is pretty much a push-over if you follow that.

Aurarian

gunbo13 said:
Yep but I think you can also jump quick. The way you described is better though.

He indeed can't do shit about DT. If you use the normal melee string, you always hit on the last shot. To build meter use your firearms. When he starts his projective, use a stringer to interrupt with some damage. Just avoid his teleport melee attacks by jumping away and then stinger again. Dodge the swords fully and shoot at him before they come at you.

He is pretty much a push-over if you follow that.

OK, I'll try that out. Do you guys have some tips for the shadows secret mission as well? It's hard as hell just to kill one let alone three of those.

EDIT: After a couple of fits, I managed to beat him and the secret mission with an A ranking no less. :O Fuck shadows.

gunbo13

I'm still doing swordmaster styling but now I'm doing pure combos. That's what everyone has already seen on youtube and I can't kill much more efficiently then in the gunslinger videos I posted. So yea, I'm trying to put my own spin on complex user combos.

Best combos thus far are A&R / Beo and A&R / Cerb. The only crazy thing is that it is crazy crazy crazy hard to pull off perfect frame links on A&R air combos. I have currently maybe a 10% success rate on perfect links with no animation breaks. Animation break jump cancel links though in general aren't as bad. The damn perfect links since there is no weapon swap animation though are brutal. Beo is fun for jump canceling killer bees in chain. It is a murderous chain. I also can't get enough of the awesome launcher. Cerb is what I was using at the end of the night. This is a very easy link melee. It only requires a lot of TLC when doing swing jump cancels. I can pull off about 6 at the moment but I didn't practice much. Rebellion still hasn't found a proper home in my mix and Nevan doesn't do much on SM.

I think Dahbomb is probably the only one who will understand my nonsense. lol The result is pretty cool and now I'm working on uniqueness. I'm trying to work Beo power moves and more ground work on Cerb to differentiate my combos. I also try to set up mission 16 so I'm fighting two ghouls and I can work through them in succession. It allows some cool mix-ups. I just hate how slow A&R moves on its stinger and that Beo's causes KD. It makes it tough to traverse and keep proper flow. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
I'm still doing swordmaster styling but now I'm doing pure combos. That's what everyone has already seen on youtube and I can't kill much more efficiently then in the gunslinger videos I posted. So yea, I'm trying to put my own spin on complex user combos.

Best combos thus far are A&R / Beo and A&R / Cerb. The only crazy thing is that it is crazy crazy crazy hard to pull off perfect frame links on A&R air combos. I have currently maybe a 10% success rate on perfect links with no animation breaks. Animation break jump cancel links though in general aren't as bad. The damn perfect links since there is no weapon swap animation though are brutal. Beo is fun for jump canceling killer bees in chain. It is a murderous chain. I also can't get enough of the awesome launcher. Cerb is what I was using at the end of the night. This is a very easy link melee. It only requires a lot of TLC when doing swing jump cancels. I can pull off about 6 at the moment but I didn't practice much. Rebellion still hasn't found a proper home in my mix and Nevan doesn't do much on SM.

I think Dahbomb is probably the only one who will understand my nonsense. lol The result is pretty cool and now I'm working on uniqueness. I'm trying to work Beo power moves and more ground work on Cerb to differentiate my combos. I also try to set up mission 16 so I'm fighting two ghouls and I can work through them in succession. It allows some cool mix-ups. I just hate how slow A&R moves on its stinger and that Beo's causes KD. It makes it tough to traverse and keep proper flow. :(

You don't give the rest of us enough credit. ;)

Nevan is awesome in Swordmaster. Especially with Agni and Rudra. You can't really jump cancel much of what Nevan does (except maybe the air rift on a KD enemy), but that's not the point. Nevan is more about supplementing your other melee weapon anyway. With this melee combination in Swordmaster, you have a lot of options for electric bats and fire flying everywhere... and Nevan's "stinger" is quick for approach options/auto launches.

Rebellion probably has the least potential in Swordmaster, but you can still get creative. You can jump cancel Helm Breakers on a downed opponent with Rebellion (actually maybe that's just Vergil... I don't remember... it's been a while). Sword Pierce is a nice option and can let you Killer Bee cancel without Beowulf just to troll enemies. Drive is a great combo finisher for style.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
You don't give the rest of us enough credit. ;)

Nevan is awesome in Swordmaster. Especially with Agni and Rudra. You can't really jump cancel much of what Nevan does (except maybe the air rift on a KD enemy), but that's not the point. Nevan is more about supplementing your other melee weapon anyway. With this melee combination in Swordmaster, you have a lot of options for electric bats and fire flying everywhere... and Nevan's "stinger" is quick for approach options/auto launches.

Rebellion probably has the least potential in Swordmaster, but you can still get creative. You can jump cancel Helm Breakers on a downed opponent with Rebellion (actually maybe that's just Vergil... I don't remember... it's been a while). Sword Pierce is a nice option and can let you Killer Bee cancel without Beowulf just to troll enemies. Drive is a great combo finisher for style.
I wasn't aware of the population of DMC players using jump canceling, perfect frames, etc... It's quite a rarity but I'll give you credit (GuardianE+Dahbomb). ;)

I believe you can cancel on helm. Nevan is fairly beat for SM and Rebellion is slow on mix-ups. When using A&R I launch with either and go with a Reb -> A&R -> A&R link mix-up. It has style if a perfect frame the A&R j-cancel. A&R and Beo though has a much nicer flow though and can cancel into killer bee cancels + surf + shotgun finish. Nevan can through a nice launch but is a lousy replacement for Reb air links with that slow melee. You can feedback + crazy roll but that is standard medicine.

A&R, Beo, and Cerberus are where it's at. My fav user combo thus far is starter (any combo + beo sting if I can) + beo medium launch + A&R sky dance j-cancel link + sky dance + hammer + killer bee + twister + sky dance j cancel link + killer bee j-cancels on fall + finisher.

gunbo13

I can capture in HD on mission 16 with full 60fps as long as I disable the sound engine. It's pretty sweet. Yet, I said **** it to the footage I got since my links are still rough. Now I just have to work through the street fighter type pains of maintaining links from start to finish. Nothing is worse then running 90% through your user combo and you miss a small link causing an errant hop or something. Gah.

EDIT:
I got 1min 10sec of useful footage today...lol

Aurarian

Got to mission 15 yesterday, should be close to finishing or finished with DMC1 later on today after I wake up from sleep. Still not finding it as great as DMC3 was. After those two bosses, the rest seem to fall flat? They just don't seem as hard. Gryphon was nothing before Ifrit DT pistol spam(both fights so far)and Angelo PT 2 still got neutralized by saving up DT and then completely overwhelming him with a regular slash combo. I'm finding the Death Scissors though, the more advanced ones that are I guess minibosses even worse to deal with. My strategy is shotgun for stun and then airhike + helm breaker. Is there a better way to deal with them?

gunbo13

1080p! Nah...but real ******* close!

HD Combo Video - Swordmaster - Agni & Rudra / Beowulf
PzfdQ.gif

1400x1050
60fps MU / 30fps UT
CRF25 x264

Here is an HD combo video using some tech with SM on A&R/Beo. You never get to see much HD combo action in DMC3, if at all, so here is some footage. MU is a much better download since it runs at a crisp 60fps. I'd appreciate any feedback since this takes a lot of effort. (OMG QQ) ;)

Nothing to really explain...enjoy.
(actually there could be A LOT to explain except apparently to da gurus GuardianE / Dahbomb haha)

MU (181.56mb) -> WORTH IT!!!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RBRUE2B9

UT 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kk2tK99Uu8

For those who questioned lag in the PC version, here is your answer. ;)

720p youtube is probably still processing, should be ready soon. Just get the MU though. 60fps > 30fps ALWAYS

EDIT:
720p UT done

Dahbomb

Anyone got any tips for the secret mission on the bridge with the death scythes?
That's one of the easiest ones there is if you have Air Raid.

Yo Gunbo13 I will say that Rebellion + Nevan (SM) is near god tier in this game especially for DMD mode and in areas where you have lots of Enigma floating around. Having Nevan on support guarantees high style ratings if you know how to play it plus great crowd control. The jumping scythe attack beasts a lot of bosses.

There is a lot of tech to Nevan that I discovered when people thought Nevan was ass. Now Nevan is almost mandatory in some areas of DMD mode.

Pro tip: Nevan's Vortex reflects back the fireball of Doppelganger (the boss).

kuYuri

Awesome stuff, channeling Hell Sloth is Dead, huh? We need more of those videos, especially in nice quality 720p or better at 60fps.

Anteater

Phantom is the big spider boss right? I just stinger it in the face when it charges the fireball and it'd blow up, then just devil trigger and slash away til it dies, I think that's how I did it, I'm kind of confused on how to beat some of the enemies tbh :lol

Clocked in a few hours and got to that slime motherfucker, I think I remember that guy and the swimming part the most when I played it about 9 years ago.

Any tips on how to kill those shadows dude? I think they're the dogs that does the counter spike whenever you slash them. I've been mostly shotgunning them til the core comes out, but I don't think I'm doing it quick enough, so it's a pain when I have to face 2-3 of them.

Edit: dmc1 is still about exactly how I remembers it, the controls and the camera is hard to adjust to, but it's manageable so far. Going to be playing this and then onto dmc3 when I'm done, can't believe it's been almost 10 years.

Anteater

bone_and_sinew said:
I just remember DTing and spamming the fuck out of Stinger when the core came out.

:lol that's what I've been doing, maybe I'll try nuking them with the grenade launcher next time I run into them and see if it's faster, guns seems to be pretty useful in the first dmc1, I was mainly using that for the giant bird while dodging its attacks until it lands.

Aurarian

Finished DMC1 just now(loved it). It was a bit corny at the end with the whole Trish/Dante thing and DMC3 still has the best combat for obvious reasons. Now all I have left is DMC4 since I already have the second game(and since it seems to have such a bad rep, I'm not gonna bother) since I got these as a box set. FEELS GOOD to beat these old and hard games.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Anteater said:
:lol that's what I've been doing, maybe I'll try nuking them with the grenade launcher next time I run into them and see if it's faster, guns seems to be pretty useful in the first dmc1, I was mainly using that for the giant bird while dodging its attacks until it lands.

I can't remember if grenade rolling was useful against them but shotgun twitching when 1 on 1 was a must. I also can't remember if jumping straight up has invinsibility frames like it in DMC3 but if it does, I'd just shoot as soon as I leave ground and use that as a defacto jump-cancelling.

BTW shotgun twitching:

"( shotgun twitch technique ) When Dante wields the shotgun and can
remain stationary while he fires, hold the R1 button down and alternate
between pressing the shoot button and quickly tapping the analog stick
in any direction to release shotgun blasts more rapidly. Like a
compressed version of grenade-rolling, taking this miniscule step to the
side before firing each blast cancels out of the shotgun's normal
recovery time and allows Dante to fire three of them in the time it
would normally take to release two. Using this technique will enable
Dante to juggle launched puppet-enemies until they die when there's no
other interference. It's also great against Nobodies and Mundus 2's
shooting sphere attacks."

Aurarian said:
Finished DMC1 just now(loved it). It was a bit corny at the end with the whole Trish/Dante thing and DMC3 still has the best combat for obvious reasons. Now all I have left is DMC4 since I already have the second game(and since it seems to have such a bad rep, I'm not gonna bother) since I got these as a box set. FEELS GOOD to beat these old and hard games.

2 isnt good by any means but play it, its got some nice weapons in it.

Anteater

bone_and_sinew said:
I can't remember if grenade rolling was useful against them but shotgun twitching when 1 on 1 was a must. I also can't remember if jumping straight up has invinsibility frames like it in DMC3 but if it does, I'd just shoot as soon as I leave ground and use that as a defacto jump-cancelling.

BTW shotgun twitching:

Thanks! Didn't know that, the slash canceling where you twitch to cancel slashes has been pretty useful too.

So far Nelo is kind of the easiest boss in the game since you don't need any gimmicks to beat him :lol
He died without a word though :(, maybe they planned to bring him back originally, he just kind of blew up and disappeared like his other fights.

Dahbomb said:
Best way to kill Shadows... Nightmare Beta.

I am dead serious.

oo I have that, I'll give that a try, haven't ran into any shadows yet >_>

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
My favorite way to fighting Nelo was parrying his sword swings with Sparda swings, I felt like a such boss when I beat him in DMD doing it. I remember it took me like a million tries but I never got frustrated, it was just a matter of pride. I think you can parry them with Ifrit punches as well but I don't remember.

gunbo13

Strider2K99 said:
Awesome stuff, channeling Hell Sloth is Dead, huh? We need more of those videos, especially in nice quality 720p or better at 60fps.
I try to do my own thing. You'll see a pattern where I just go with what I find fun. Either that or you can see how I just like to troll enemies. ;) Megaupload links contain 1400x1050 HD 60fps releases. Youtube runs at 720p @ 30fps. I compress the MU media quite well so you don't have to download a huge file. I'd definitely grab the MU file.

Uh.....
UZVVA.jpg

1400x1050
60fps MU / 30fps UT
CRF25 x264

Yea...I got bored. I like Reb & Nev but I just wasn't in the mood to style beyond a few minutes. So somehow my styling degraded to playing volleyball... It's pretty fun to play at the very least. lol

Enjoy!

MU - 1400x1050 - 60fps - 240.23mb
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E3VHUEOC

UT 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoRPksMYmSM

I'll revisit Reb & Nev a bit more seriously at another time. I lost focus after the A&R / Beo vid. This video is a total troll.

Aurarian said:
Might be good to play a few missions just to see how big a leap DMC 2 to DMC 3 was. Enough to get a feel but not enough to sour you.

Worst decision ever was trading in DMC1 as a kid for like $7 at Cash Converters. I was a stupid kid.

But thankfully when DMC3 hit I was a money making machine! Spent soooo many hours playing it.

This thread is fantastic and I love everyone in here, would love to see Capcom giving the series the respect it deserves and do a really nice 10th Anniversary collection.

Dahbomb

Aurarian said:
No DMC experience is complete without beating it on DMD mode.

DMC1 has an excellent DMD mode IMO overall better than DMC3's. It's because they scale particular moves more than others meaning stuff like Inferno which was beastly in Normal/Hard isn't going to be godlike in DMD mode. Air Raid is another one.

Just for the record, when I first played and finished DMC1... I only liked it. I still thought it was one of the better action games out there but I didn't think it was Godlike. It wasn't until I carried over my stuff to Hard and DMD mode did I realize what a masterpiece this game is. Ditto on DMC3, in fact you can't really get a grasp of the depth of DMC3 in one walkthrough... or even 3-4 for that matter.

Aurarian

Dahbomb said:

DMC1 has an excellent DMD mode IMO overall better than DMC3's. It's because they scale particular moves more than others meaning stuff like Inferno which was beastly in Normal/Hard isn't going to be godlike in DMD mode. Air Raid is another one.

Just for the record, when I first played and finished DMC1... I only liked it. I still thought it was one of the better action games out there but I didn't think it was Godlike. It wasn't until I carried over my stuff to Hard and DMD mode did I realize what a masterpiece this game is. Ditto on DMC3, in fact you can't really get a grasp of the depth of DMC3 in one walkthrough... or even 3-4 for that matter.

Hah. I wish I had the patience for beating it on DMD mode. Normal is usually enough to drive me insane some times for these types of games. You know what's funny, I barely used the Ifrit gloves except for certain enemies that required it(e.g. plasma's and frosts). I guess I just preferred using Alastor since I wasn't experienced enough in using the gloves effectively while dodging as well .It was much easier with Alastor for me at least. I'd have to agree how OP Air Raid is/was. Nightmare was nothing before it when all I did was regain DT charges with his slimes and lit up his core. Then when he was down to his last 25%, I'd get caught by him and beat Phantom, Gryphon, or Nelo real quick and there he went. Maybe I'll try the harder difficulties when I clear my backlog up a bit. At least I finished all the secret missions in my normal playthrough. Kinda glad about that since some of the missions were hard as hell. Especially the shadow one, I really hated that. I'm glad that I have played these games though(should have beaten them ages ago). I hope that the new entry doesn't turn out horrible even if I'm not as diehard of a fan as some of you guys.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
gunbo13 said:
1080p! Nah...but real ******* close!

HD Combo Video - Swordmaster - Agni & Rudra / Beowulf
1400x1050
60fps MU / 30fps UT
CRF25 x264

Here is an HD combo video using some tech with SM on A&R/Beo. You never get to see much HD combo action in DMC3, if at all, so here is some footage. MU is a much better download since it runs at a crisp 60fps. I'd appreciate any feedback since this takes a lot of effort. (OMG QQ) ;)

Nothing to really explain...enjoy.
(actually there could be A LOT to explain except apparently to da gurus GuardianE / Dahbomb haha)

MU (181.56mb) -> WORTH IT!!!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RBRUE2B9

UT 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kk2tK99Uu8

Good stuff, man! Makes me want an HD collection even more.

It also kinda makes me want to try to capture stuff, but I don't have any capturing software. :(

Aurarian said:
Hah. I wish I had the patience for beating it on DMD mode. Normal is usually enough to drive me insane some times for these types of games. You know what's funny, I barely used the Ifrit gloves except for certain enemies that required it(e.g. plasma's and frosts). I guess I just preferred using Alastor since I wasn't experienced enough in using the gloves effectively while dodging as well .It was much easier with Alastor for me at least. I'd have to agree how OP Air Raid is/was. Nightmare was nothing before it when all I did was regain DT charges with his slimes and lit up his core. Then when he was down to his last 25%, I'd get caught by him and beat Phantom, Gryphon, or Nelo real quick and there he went. Maybe I'll try the harder difficulties when I clear my backlog up a bit. At least I finished all the secret missions in my normal playthrough. Kinda glad about that since some of the missions were hard as hell. Especially the shadow one, I really hated that. I'm glad that I have played these games though(should have beaten them ages ago). I hope that the new entry doesn't turn out horrible even if I'm not as diehard of a fan as some of you guys.

The gauntlet type weapons often feel clunky to people at first because they limit your mobility/range. You're not alone. They're always incredibly powerful, though, and once you become more familiar with the game mechanics, you'll actually appreciate and love how different they are compared to the traditional Alastor.

The missions themselves in DMC1 aren't very long. You could go through the beginning of DMD just to get a feel for it. It's an eye opening experience to try it for the first time. The increased difficulty actually forces you to think differently about the game and your approach.

hamchan

GuardianE said:
You know the trick for the dice roll, right? Whichever number is on top when you Buster will be the number that gets rolled.

Thanks, beat the mission just then :D

I think I had to get used to Nero after owning it up with swordmaster Dante.

EDIT: Yay DMC4 done. "Come on babes, let's rock!" with the pose was hilarious and awesome. DmC better have something that insane or it's a failure.

I'm tempted to play 1 and 3 again but I'm too lazy to pull out the PS2. I'll probably replay Bayonetta lol.

Aurarian

So how exactly do I play Nero since he's a bit different from Dante with the whole "glowing arm" thing? I'm assuming using devil bringer for bringing in enemies close and grabbing them in a middle of a combo for style boost. About the whole Exceed gauge thing, no use in fully charging it before? Is there a way to charge it while in battle? I notice if I tap L2 in the middle of a combo, I get a charge. However, I'm wondering how you would build multiple charges if the next attack seems to take it.

Dahbomb

Aurarian said:
So how exactly do I play Nero since he's a bit different from Dante with the whole "glowing arm" thing? I'm assuming using devil bringer for bringing in enemies close and grabbing them in a middle of a combo for style boost. About the whole Exceed gauge thing, no use in fully charging it before? Is there a way to charge it while in battle? I notice if I tap L2 in the middle of a combo, I get a charge. However, I'm wondering how you would build multiple charges if the next attack seems to take it.
With Nero's arm, the arm is basically to keep the enemies close to you. You only want to use Buster a few times in a combo, usually as a finisher. Stuff like, Stinger -> Grab, slash, high time, slash some more, Helm breaker, Grab, Buster. When this enemy dies, grab again and keep the combo going. This is going to become second nature to you by a few missions.

As far as Exceed charging goes... if you tap the L2 button at about the time an attack is about to end... your next attack will be charged up. It's like a just frame thing. It works for every sword attack of Nero's, even individual sword attacks. You have to find the timings, it's usually at the end recovery frames of each move. This is imperative to mastering Nero as some special attacks of Exceeded will give you a tremendous boost in offense. Just start attacking random air and try finding the spot where it Exceeds.

Later on in the game you will get Max Act, which is like ACTUAL JUST FRAME Exceed. If you hit a Max Act frame, you will get 3 bars instead of one but the timing is WAY STRICT!

Aurarian

Dahbomb said:
With Nero's arm, the arm is basically to keep the enemies close to you. You only want to use Buster a few times in a combo, usually as a finisher. Stuff like, Stinger -> Grab, slash, high time, slash some more, Helm breaker, Grab, Buster. When this enemy dies, grab again and keep the combo going. This is going to become second nature to you by a few missions.

As far as Exceed charging goes... if you tap the L2 button at about the time an attack is about to end... your next attack will be charged up. It's like a just frame thing. It works for every sword attack of Nero's, even individual sword attacks. You have to find the timings, it's usually at the end recovery frames of each move. This is imperative to mastering Nero as some special attacks of Exceeded will give you a tremendous boost in offense. Just start attacking random air and try finding the spot where it Exceeds.

Later on in the game you will get Max Act, which is like ACTUAL JUST FRAME Exceed. If you hit a Max Act frame, you will get 3 bars instead of one but the timing is WAY STRICT!

I see what you're saying. I noticed there were a ton of skills to go for with the guns, sword, and the buster. What would be most optimal since you can't use red orbs for skills anymore?

Curufinwe

Dahbomb said:

I only beat the first two missions of DMC 3 on DMD. I kept getting hit too much on mission 3 because I wasn't good enough, so I gave up.

Dahbomb

Aurarian said:
I see what you're saying. I noticed there were a ton of skills to go for with the guns, sword, and the buster. What would be most optimal since you can't use red orbs for skills anymore?
These skills are essential you want them as soon as possible:

Streak
Split
Sprint (obviously you wanna get around fast)
Roulette Spin
Air Hike
EX LVL2
EX LVL3
Max Act (NEVER BUY MAX ACT BEFORE BUYING LVL3!)
Gun Charge (LVL2 is ok but LVL3 is sort of godlike in this game, if you learn to charge your gun during combat, you will beast through anything in the game)
Atleast one additional sword combo for Red Queen for variety in combos

Getting Streak and Split if obviously very essential, those are the first 2 moves you should purchase. Roulette Spin is very useful for Nero especially for boss fights and generally comboing. Air Hike as you know already... is a staple of the series.

Moves that are nice to have but aren't essential:

Shuffle
Calibur
The other Red Queen sword combos
The Devil Trigger moves (will be unlocked when you get them)
Devil Trigger time uprade
Snatch Range upgrade
Enemy Step
Table Hopper

These moves are the more advanced Nero moves especially stuff like Calibur and Shuffle which require a motion new to the series (R1+ Back, Forward + /\). You can save these for later when you are more used to Nero's combat.

There might be a few moves I missed, this was off the top of my head. This is certainly the formula I used for DMC4.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think the Snatch range upgrade is pretty useful early on, but otherwise DahBomb's list is obviously right on the money.

Dahbomb

The thing about the DMC4 system is that prices hike up when you buy moves. You can also refund moves (full money back) and try out moves and experiment. It was a great system IMO and I hope it continues for future DMC games.

Thing about the Snatch upgrades is that they all count as one move each so you are buying them 2 times to get those incremental ranges. That hikes up the prices of basic moves by a lot. Snatch range is definitely very useful but you can easily get by with the default range for quite some time.

Aurarian

Dahbomb said:
These skills are essential you want them as soon as possible:

Streak [x]
Split [x]
Sprint (obviously you wanna get around fast)[x]
Roulette Spin[x]
Air Hike
EX LVL2[x]
EX LVL3
Max Act (NEVER BUY MAX ACT BEFORE BUYING LVL3!)
Gun Charge (LVL2[x] is ok but LVL3 is sort of godlike in this game, if you learn to charge your gun during combat, you will beast through anything in the game)
Atleast one additional sword combo for Red Queen for variety in combos[x]

Getting Streak and Split if obviously very essential, those are the first 2 moves you should purchase. Roulette Spin is very useful for Nero especially for boss fights and generally comboing. Air Hike as you know already... is a staple of the series.

Moves that are nice to have but aren't essential:

Shuffle
Calibur
The other Red Queen sword combos
The Devil Trigger moves (will be unlocked when you get them)
Devil Trigger time uprade
Snatch Range upgrade
Enemy Step
Table Hopper

These moves are the more advanced Nero moves especially stuff like Calibur and Shuffle which require a motion new to the series (R1+ Back, Forward + /\). You can save these for later when you are more used to Nero's combat.

There might be a few moves I missed, this was off the top of my head. This is certainly the formula I used for DMC4.

Alright. There's one more question I have. Is it better to map the gun to another button for easy charging? It's hard to get the timing right with Exceed as well with the L2 button. I feel like my finger slips on the trigger.

Nix

Banned
Why is everyone shitting all over Swordmaster: Rebellion/Cerberus?

That right there was my only combination needed. Although second was Nevan/Beo- didn't really play with A&R.

Seriously, Rebellion and Cerberus pretty much took care of all my needs, during the game, and was especially fluid when switching combos. Plus, they were great solo, with their individual uses.

I can understand why people like the other weapons better, to chain and such, but for me, Rebellion/Cerberus was the highlight of Swordmaster.

Top Bottom