• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 10th Anniversary Thread: You Lose Again, Gravity! [Up: Combo Videos]

gunbo13

Dahbomb said:
Ranking of best weapons to kill in swordmaster
1. Nevan
2. Beowulf
3. Agni and Rudra
4. Cerberus
5. Rebellion

A&R is fairly underpowered in DMD mode, unless you are including the Tempest glitch. Most of it's Swordmaster moves don't do enough damage. With Cerberus you get some nice quick damage out of Million Carats.
Yea, I'm actually just referencing pure killing in the arena. No DT or anything. Basically, how quick I can take down a non-DT target with successive attacks. It's really a from the hip type list.

Gah my new video is now lost in page 9.

*cough*
1400x1050
60fps MU / 30fps UT
CRF25 x264
MU - 1400x1050 - 60fps - 296.93mb
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C1BCY02W

UT - 720p - 30fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teWbbRqKjiI

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29519728&postcount=449

A&R is fairly underpowered in DMD mode, unless you are including the Tempest glitch. Most of it's Swordmaster moves don't do enough damage. With Cerberus you get some nice quick damage out of Million Carats.

Well, to be fair, A&R hardly needs SM for damage output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sw4L3HofEY

Reb and Nevan don't benefit a lot in terms of DPS either, though at least it enables Nevan to be more viable in more situations.

gunbo13

Wolf Akela said:
Well, to be fair, A&R hardly needs SM for damage output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sw4L3HofEY

Reb and Nevan don't benefit a lot in terms of DPS either, though at least it enables Nevan to be more viable in more situations.
That's why I give A&R the nod. Air cross chaining is ridiculous damage. I do a triple at the end of the latest vid I just posted though more is possible, even on enemies who KD (I think my max is 5). It bleeds damage but you need the proper wall setup. It's not an SM attack but it goes together with the air juggles nicely as a finisher.

Beo/A&R is definitely my latest favorite combo. My two favorite GS weapons Reb/Nev are also my current least favorite SM weapons. Though Reb along with Beo have the best high-up launchers. A&R/Nev don't have quick high-up launchers, only standard ingredients, which totally sucks. :(

EDIT:
Multi air cross chains + hammer = godlike damage FYI.

EDIT2:
I now love Nev in SM. ;) Footage is in the stockroom and it is very nice.

gunbo13

Any Vergil technicians out there? I would appreciate a quick run-down on advanced techniques without having to read a mile of stuff. Once I mess around enough with some broad knowledge I'll dig into the texts. The Vergil FAQ leaves much to be desired though.

I basically am interested in moves that you can rebound. Also any buffering, timing, canceling tricks, etc... that are part of the main toolkit for Vergil. I'm only going to be styling so no need to talk about SP.

Thanks

Sword hangers are a bit tricky... it's hitting the opponent with a Summon Sword at precise moments complementary to melee attacks to keep them airborn, since SS spam can't keep them. The most basic one involves Starfall down to an airborne enemy while shooting a single sword. Both hits will keep the enemy airborne long enough so you can quickly follow up with a Lunar Phase then proceed with other combos.

My favorite Vergil combo goes like this:
First 4 FE hits -> First 2 Yamato hits -> Upper Slash + begin Spiral Sword charge -> Lunar Phase -> cancel to JC Aerial Rave + Spiral Sword appearance -> cancel to loop of JC Trick up Helm Breaker->Rave->Starfall accompanied with Blister or Sword Storm.

Ramada is prolly the godliest Vergil juggler I've seen. He juggled DT Sloths so effectively which is so hard since you gotta keep counting every single hit you do and time your knockbacks/launchers. :S It was his entry for TST4 I think. He even did a JC Trick Up Helm Breaker->Aerial Rave loop on an airborne DT Sloth through the use of Spiral Swords.

gunbo13

HD Combo Video - Vergil - "Nice to Meet You"
jCMEQ.jpg

1400x1050
60fps MU / 30fps UT
CRF25 x264
MU - 1400x1050 - 60fps - 141.07mb
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JFDM1TNM

UT - 720p - 30fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_JnivC-8g

The dude just got resurrected so how can I not? Shout out to Dahbomb if he is following the thread still. I'm a Vergil newbie but I do my best to give tribute. ;)

I've never played Vergil before yesterday. I read Wolf Akela's post and skimmed the not-so-great FAQ. I've played Vergil now for a total whopping 6 hours. So take that as you may when you take a gander at the footage.

Itd be interesting if you could record a video showing some of vergils moves in singular, than doing some combos with them. A few people are asking how vergil plays for umvc3, so having a rundown vid would be great.

gunbo13

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Itd be interesting if you could record a video showing some of vergils moves in singular, than doing some combos with them. A few people are asking how vergil plays for umvc3, so having a rundown vid would be great.
I used everything except round trip in the video. I haven't gotten to styling by dropping below where it would be usable.

Are you looking for simple combos? A lot of the stuff in the videos are cancels meaning broken frames. So they won't show how he would play in umvc3. It's possible but I don't have video editing software installed to put up move names. If somebody wants to do some editing for a "How Vergil would play in UMvC3" and I provide the footage...I'm fine with that.

EDIT:
You can start by linking the Vergil post to the umvc3 thread. It is HD footage so people can make out the moves. I can jump in and help illustrate.

I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen.

Technically speaking - DMC1 came out in Japan August of 2001. Making this month it's official 10 year mark. The series had always done solid in Japan, despite various trends over there (handheld games, aversion to hardcore titles etc.). to ignore 'their' 10 year anniversary seems a bit odd.

For reference DMC1 came out in the States October of 2001

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lowhighkang_LHK said:
I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen.

Technically speaking - DMC1 came out in Japan August of 2001. Making this month it's official 10 year mark. The series had always done solid in Japan, despite various trends over there (handheld games, aversion to hardcore titles etc.). to ignore 'their' 10 year anniversary seems a bit odd.

For reference DMC1 came out in the States October of 2001

I could possibly do a very basic video showcasing Vergil's moveset. When I have FRAPs running, I can't really even do any jump cancels or anything because of the framerate (that coupled with the other inherent issues of the PC port), but it records fine. At least for the purposes of illustrating his moveset.

I'm not losing hope yet on the Anniversary collection:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/07/13/devil_may_cry_10th_anniversary_art_contest

"The winners of the competition will receive a place in history when their artwork is featured in a new, to be announced Capcom game! (plus a copy of said secret game when upon its release!)"

It would be trolltastic if this wasn't an HD collection.

gunbo13

GuardianE said:
I'm not losing hope yet on the Anniversary collection:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/07/13/devil_may_cry_10th_anniversary_art_contest

"The winners of the competition will receive a place in history when their artwork is featured in a new, to be announced Capcom game! (plus a copy of said secret game when upon its release!)"

It would be trolltastic if this wasn't an HD collection.
Yea, like putting it in another game that we puke at the sight of...

There is still a few weeks until the actual anniversary date. HD collections are the latest rage. I will say that giving the DMC games a facelift has to be one of the harder jobs. The pre-rendered textures basically just need to be re-built. I wouldn't want to take on such a task unless they had quick swaps in the vault; those textures are crazy detailed in DMC1.

Synless

I have not looked at or even played DMC3 in years, yet last night I dreamed I was playing an HD version of the game. I think it is a sign that and HD collection is coming.

gunbo13

Synless said:
I have not looked at or even played DMC3 in years, yet last night I dreamed I was playing an HD version of the game.
You sure it was a dream? I was doing that this past weekend. ;)

Let's take bets on how Capcom trolls DMC fans next. My bet's on the unannounced game being a Iphone port of the reboot (Which will also double as the 10th anniversary "celebration").

Come on, you know they'd stoop that low.

gunbo13

I found a way to quell the wait and my boredom. I was in a thread talking about how DMC devs give you the tools to play, yet the players are the ones who flesh out the combat system. So I thought of all the combat mechanics in DMC that are not mentioning in the documentation.

Did you know DMC3
-Nevan can generate standard projectiles faster then all the firearms in the game except Ebony and Ivory.
-Rebellion's swordmaster skill drive can be executed to cancel out the red lightning glow on the weapon. You animation cancel the glow so the attack executes without it.
-You can travel faster in single player using stingers and/or low height star dashing.
-You can sword pierce Rebellion into walls. You can also recall it faster with an additional execution of the move.
-Artemis multi-lock can be canceled out with a normal [] firearm shot to avoid losing the charge on animation cancels.
-Rebellion combos can hit behind Dante.
-You can avoid the Nevan air pause on air play by executing the move so you land right after the last bat is released.
-You can cancel out taunt inputs with buffering.
-Free rides can be chained by timing your double jump on the fallen enemy.

I tried to think of little tidbits that are not only in the files but not mentioned in many FAQs.

- Glide (R1 + X while Rebellion DT) and Roundhouse Kick (Triangle with your back on enemy) aren't really well-known moves. There's also Ultimate Tempest (mash Triangle during Tempest).

- If you activate Time Lag while performing Roundhouse Kick, Dante will spin on the spot many times.

- Likewise, you can also freeze Beowulf with Time Lag. (vid)

- Jump Cancels will not reset Air Raid. You can only perform it once before landing, no matter what you do.

- There's a super flashy Wild Stomp glitch that only works in Temperance Wagon. (vid)

- You can also cancel dash moves like Stinger into Wild Stomp... provided you can mash the hell out of Square.

- Spiral has no style decay, which is why guard-canceled Spiral is considered cheap by some.

gunbo13

Shit, I haven't done anything with Vergil except that initial posted footage. I'm completely hung up on gunslinger. It's crazy but the dynamics of gunslinger change considerably based on your weapon sets.

Basically you choose artemis + [E&I, shotgun, spiral]. That's 3 combinations to start. However, you can go ditch artemis for very selected type play-styles. Even kalina can be brought in for the utility moves. However, artemis is the bread and butter here.

For your melee, you need to choose cancelable weapons. Beowulf and cerberus are your main choices. And it is really hard not to put both of them with Nevan; like painful. Rebellion and A&R only have uses as linkers. Million slash gives you basically a finisher and A&R has some combo starters. Reb can give you the stinger to go with the shotgun version and has drive for a finish. However, these weapons really don't do well compared to the others.

God tier for gunslinger
[art]+[E&I][shot] - [cerb][nev]
[art]+[E&I][shot] - [beo][nev]

Awesome shit there. I'm now doubting whether I can get Vergil up to speed anytime soon also. I have like 23 seconds of usable footage with him. :(

EDIT:
Also
[art]+[E&I][shot] - [cerb][beo]

I totally forgot I put in a lot of time with that combo. It actually totally kicks ass.

gunbo13

I just did the hardest combo of my life; no joke. It took me 3 hours to do. lol

Swordmaster - Cerb + Beo (everything below is one combo)
Duration (11 seconds)
EJC = early jump cancel, JC = jump cancel, WS = weapon switch

Opener(cerb) = [O + /\ + /\]
Aerial cancel chain = [Forward + /\ + R1(EJC)] + [/\ + R1(JC)] +[/\ + R1(JC)] + [O + R1 (JC)] + R2(WS)
Killer bee cancel string = [DELAY] + [Forward + /\ + R1(j-canc)] +[Forward + /\ + R1(j-canc)] + O
Ground = /\ + /\ + [Back + /\ (short charge, rapid tap)] + O + [Forward + /\ + R1(j-canc)] + [Forward + /\ + R1(j-canc)] + [Forward + O]

HOLY SHIT that was hard to do. And it looks so easy looking at it again. The biggest issues are that aerial cancel chain because that is a total of 6 jump cancels (of 3 varieties) on a string before you touch the ground again. You also have to time your inputs to not miss the hit confirm. Even worse is that the killer bee cancel has to be perfect on a delay so that the second hit connects on the enemy's lower legs. Otherwise, you can't bounce for the hammer on the KD. The double jump cancel to volcano is no easy task either.

Dahbomb

Ultimate Tempest is a glitch though.

*There is an entire system of mechanics put in place to allow you to combo DT enemies. And it's different for different enemies with different moves changing the properties of DT'd enemy states at different intervals.

*Normally, the Doppelganger style mimics your moves instantly. By pressing the button again, the timing of your clone changes so he mimics the move about 0.5 second later. Pressing the button again and his moves will come out with an entire second delay. This is the basis for Doppelganger style videos as the delay combined with weapon swaps gives the illusion of two different players playing when it's in fact just one person playing and buffering his commands during moves (like he could be charging an attack with Beowulf but also doing other stuff that the clone will be doing on screen who won't be equipped with Beowulf).

*Dante is completely invulnerable during the activation and de-activation frame of Quicksilver.

*Nevan's projectiles cancel out/destroy many weaker projectiles in the game (most notably Enigma's arrows) and build style if you do it for this purpose.

*It has been known for quite some time that particular weapons are stronger against particular enemies due to weapon elements (Arachne weak against A&R, Nevan weak against Beowulf etc.). Yamato also has a particular weapon element of darkness and is strong against demons that are light based (Beowulf and Fallen).

*Vergil builds meter if he holds his taunt with Yamato. This is particularly powerful for BP runs as after every fight you can just keep taunting + regaining health. This is one of the reasons why they added a timer in BP for DMC4.

*Wild Stomp can be buffered from many moves, Rainstorm/Charged shots is a very popular choice for many combo videos.

gunbo13

-You can cause Dante to do a moonwalk with weapon switching. I don't know the properties but I have done it numerous times. He will slowly glitch his feet backwards.

-Juggle properties on non-DT enemies corresponds with previous damage. Basically, you can at times have an enemy who does low -> high juggle and other times the enemy is stuck in high juggle. This means a shredder juggle can be impossible at times.

-Sniper ricochet can cause wall bounce.

-You can maintain the rebellion drive charge even when executing sword pierce. The sword leaves Dante but you hit circle to return. You can then execute drive.

-Helm breaker can be jump canceled even on enemies who crumble.

-People might not realize but jump canceling has speed properties. You can control the canceling combo speed by timing your inputs. This allows you to not drop below the cancel line where you would lose your ability.

-Dance macabre can be canceled during a few animation frames with drive. Letting go of your drive charge will cancel out the macabre even if you keep hitting the style button to continue the move.

-You can achieve ~max game height by doing a high launch, jump canceling off the enemy, and doing an air hike (or do a rising dragon lvl3 cancel).

-Cerberus revolver can be aerial jump cancel chained indefinitely (damn hard to do though)

-Cerberus has by far the most versatile jump canceling ability. Revolver, swing, and flicker can all be jump cancel chained.

-Windmill is one of the best moves to cancel out lag. Use it when you see a cool-down and chances are it will execute to keep the string going.

-Air cross can hit downed enemies. You can also even jump cancel and perform multiple strikes; very powerful.

-Nevan tune up causes actual hit stun

-Rainstorm can be extended in length by mashing the style button

--------------------------------------

I should organize these. DMC gaf is serious business. ;)

EDIT:
It's killing me not sharing footage. :(

gunbo13

How about today? ;)

I think I'm going to release something today to cheer up the DmC thread and bring some light back here. I'll likely then store anything else I do until they actually announce something come this late fall.

Dante swordmaster/gunslinger video coming in a few hours. :)

Dahbomb

Gunbo I knew about all those tips but this one confused me:

Cerberus revolver can be aerial jump cancel chained indefinitely (damn hard to do though)
Isn't this just Revolver, jump cancel, air Swing, land Revolver? It's not hard at all unless there is something else going on here.

gunbo13

Dahbomb said:
Gunbo I knew about all those tips but this one confused me:

Isn't this just Revolver, jump cancel, air Swing, land Revolver? It's not hard at all unless there is something else going on here.
Ah, my bad. I meant to say indefinite air swings. I think it is like 20+ or something with jump cancels while adjusting to the enemy knock-back. I haven't been able to go all the way through for a kill but honestly I didn't try that hard.

I start a lot of combos with dual air swings and then links. It's tough to keep it going until the kill though.

gunbo13

HD Combo Video - Dante - Gunslinger/Swordmaster
uHxLP.jpg

1400x1050
60fps MU / 30fps UT
CRF25 x264
MU - 1400x1050 - 60fps - 351.26mb (60fps version = get)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P1CBZ7FY

UT - 720p - 30fps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p31mEV1W7D8

In the past month I have been exploring the DMC3SE combo system extensively. While I have not completely developed by mechanics, I can at least say that I have given proper respect to my favorite character Dante. I enjoy Vergil but the versatility of Dante's gameplay IMO put him on top. I'm releasing this now because frankly I just want it out there (and gone). That way I can reset and aim for something more come NA anniversary later in the fall.

No more ranting about how hard this shit is and all that. lol Enjoy it for what it is worth I guess. I used two OST tracks from the anime and the game to avoid music selection issues.

Teknoman

I've been wanting to replay DMC 1 for awhile now (cant find a decent copy of it anywhere)...but exactly how good are the chances of that DMC HD collection coming true? Even if its just a digital download like the RE revival...i'd still go for it.

Slim chance. There was a DMC fanart contest held last month but still no result. Capcom described it as some sort of commemoration.

gunbo13

Wolf Akela said:
Slim chance. There was a DMC fanart contest held last month but still no result. Capcom described it as some sort of commemoration.
It will just feel more doubtful over time...

I think I'm going to fire up some DMC4 now. I think I'm done with DMC3SE. I'm at a point where I only have to spend countless hours on perfecting very specific combos . So now I can move on to DMC4 where I spend countless hours on perfecting very specific combos! Oh wait...

Time to study up on unique DMC4 mechanics.

EDIT:
Dahbomb, where is your 10 mile long DMC4 faq? ;) The faqs I'm seeing don't even delve into the advanced mechanics at all! :(

sn00zer said:
DMC4 and DMC1 are the best DMCs...and I'm out...although seriously DMC1 has some of the best atmosphere in a game, where did it go?

Production Studio 4 left. That's what happened.

Most of them are at Platinum Games. A few others are at Ignition/UTV games.

gunbo13

Am I crazy or are advanced Nero combos basically built off of aerial rebounds, some corresponding melee mix-ups, arm canceling, and using DT as juggle/finish? It also appears like most of the ground game is ditched for both players as well.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any subtle mechanics that I'm not seeing. The only surprise I saw thus far is more gun rebounds on Dante, which was not a practice in DMC3SE really. Other then that, I'm not seeing anything but maybe I will have to dig into google for some past write-ups.

I also have to peg down these styling areas, the missions, and how to quickly get to them. Dante's is that ballroom that you get to quickly when playing as him. I remember that. I think Nero's is another sort of backtracking through the castle where you fight the frosts in the dining room. I have to find these missions...

EDIT:
Mission 12 - Ascension Chamber
Secret Mission 3 for Nero??? (lol no, that's the one you fail for attacking)

EDIT2:
Mission 4 - Gallery (maybe)

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Production Studio 4 left. That's what happened.

Most of them are at Platinum Games. A few others are at Ignition/UTV games.
Itsuno really just needs to go join Kamiya's dream team already.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb, where is your 10 mile long DMC4 faq? ;) The faqs I'm seeing don't even delve into the advanced mechanics at all! :(
Never made one. When I started making mine another one was posted on Gamefaqs already and it covered most of the stuff I had discovered by then anyway. Besides I never played DMC4 THAT much so I never bothered putting up FAQs and stuff for it.

DMC4 has way more just frame stuff than DMC3. Stuff like Table Hopper, Max Act revs, Royal Guard, Gilgamesh Just Charges and Distortion. Probably a few more. One of the most important things with Nero as far as high level combo goes are his Summoned Swords in DT, the DT explosion that launches enemy even more, charging gun for relaunches, Aegis Shield tricks and Calibur rebounds. One of the pimpest things with Nero is combo string into Shuffle, cancel Shuffle's back dash into jump and then instant Calibur into enemy step -> combo of choice. It doesn't do much in raising style but damn does it look bad ass when you pull it off.

gunbo13

Dahbomb said:
Never made one. When I started making mine another one was posted on Gamefaqs already and it covered most of the stuff I had discovered by then anyway. Besides I never played DMC4 THAT much so I never bothered putting up FAQs and stuff for it.

DMC4 has way more just frame stuff than DMC3. Stuff like Table Hopper, Max Act revs, Royal Guard, Gilgamesh Just Charges and Distortion. Probably a few more. One of the most important things with Nero as far as high level combo goes are his Summoned Swords in DT, the DT explosion that launches enemy even more, charging gun for relaunches, Aegis Shield tricks and Calibur rebounds. One of the pimpest things with Nero is combo string into Shuffle, cancel Shuffle's back dash into jump and then instant Calibur into enemy step -> combo of choice. It doesn't do much in raising style but damn does it look bad ass when you pull it off.
I don't see anything good on gamefaqs. Am I missing something? I just have to dictionary the new mechanics and bleed them in. Those are good tips though and I'll check them out.

Dahbomb said:

Can I see a video of this anywhere?

Dahbomb

badcrumble said:
Can I see a video of this anywhere?
You can see most of this in most DMC4 combo videos on the net. If you are talking about the combo set up that I mentioned, it should be in the videos too.

What you probably will miss out on is Gilgamesh Just Charge stuff which you will see in fast boss runs. Anytime you see someone charge up Gilgamesh and do an obscene amount of damage on hitting it, that's a Just Charge with a possible Distortion added if he DT'd. That's two levels of just frames in one move ie. insanely difficult but with godlike rewards. This stuff isn't seen in combo videos because there is no point, any enemy touched by this will die in one hit.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928376-devil-may-cry-4/faqs/51976 <-- Scroll down to Advanced Techniques for both characters. It's a good place to start when it comes to some mechanics in the game.

The unfortunate part is that the basis of this FAQ was a post made on IGN (where I used to post on the DMC boards, still do) and that post is gone now on IGN. So there isn't much in the FAQ now but it's still good. It explained stuff like Gilgamesh Just Charge on all the available moves on Gilgamesh plus Distortable Gilgamesh moves. Sad to see it no longer there.

DMC4 Combo Mad is still the standard for DMC4 combo videos. God damn so HOT!

I found the combo I was talking about, it's at around 6:07 time frame of Combo Mad video. There is one combo in that video that still to this day blows my mind and it's the LAST combo in the Combo Mad. You probably don't realize it's greatness until you figure out that he keeps the combo going by knocking an enemy away into a random Lucifer sword pair floating in mid air just behind the enemy. The stuff of LEGENDS.

mandas

Neo Member
So no news yet? Why did I think that there is some kind of announcement at the end of November? It seems I read something about CAPCOM announcing something then and I thought it had to do with the contest they ran in different places for DMC artwork.

gunbo13

mandas said:
So no news yet? Why did I think that there is some kind of announcement at the end of November? It seems I read something about CAPCOM announcing something then and I thought it had to do with the contest they ran in different places for DMC artwork.
End of Nov is the deadline to announce the contest winners. DMC1 NA anniversary is 10/17. The Oct/Nov area is where we would expect any sort of announcement. TGS is also Sept so who knows.

gunbo13

Chamber said:
I'm starting to think it's just a 10th anniversary art contest.
Well, it is a common theme now to release remakes before big releases. GoW and Team Ico are two easy examples. So with DmC coming up, the 10th anniversary, and the art contest referencing it?

Those are the pieces anyway. Maybe it is just an art contest but that would certainly suck. I don't care about DMC3, for obvious reasons, but shit do I want DMC1 in proper HD.

EDIT:
Plus all the rumors, Spanish retailer, etc... Some are bunk but whatever.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
God of War and ICO weren't being rebooted by a different developer though. Do they even want a collection out there right before such a drastic change to the series?

I dunno, just seems odd that a 10th anniversary collection won't release anywhere near the actual anniversary date. If it was going to happen, I would have expected news at E3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chamber said:
I'm starting to think it's just a 10th anniversary art contest.

They specifically said that it would be for a currently unannounced, secret game.

It can't be DmC since DmC has been announced for a long time now.

ezekial45

Banned
Top Bottom