• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Also, how come the cutscene blur is missing? I figured the original games had it to mask some of the muddy textures in closeups, but it's totally weird seeing Phantom without the blur/heat haze/whatever in that scene.

That would be a good incentive to buy from gamestop for future games.

So whats the consensus, PS3 version or 360 version?

Seems pretty even thus far, save for some folks preferring one controller or another. PS3 one seems more suited though, considering the games PS2 roots.

So I had a chance to play DMC3 before in HD, but today is the first time I put in some time with DMC1. And man it is gorgeous. The cutscenes can seem kind of forced because you really notice those PS2 poly's, but in-game gameplay is great. Really impressed with the visuals.

Make sure your sharpness setting isn't blasted overly high though, I could see how that could hamper the visual look.

I forgot how weird Dante's movement was in DMC1. It's not bad, but it's funny how he speeds up/slows down with each step, as opposed to traveling in a straight line at a constant speed. It's a neat detail.

I'd like to see how they play on 360 before I commit to a platform. I'm so used to DualShock for DMC, but needless to say I'm relatively wary of getting multiplatform games on PS3 here lately.

Bayonetta and other fast paced action games play fine on the 360 pad, but I'd still like to know that feel for these.

I think DMC2 should have even less presence in the OT. Like just a note at the bottom that is like

*oh yeah there is some game called DMC2 - wouldn't recommend.

Tizoc

Will go see if some shops have the collection, I was not considering gettnig them but after reading these impressions I'll pick it up~

Need more PS3 vs 360 impressions.

Also, is the lock-on button mapped to the trigger or bumper on the 360?

lock-on is on the bumper in DMC1 (all i've played so far)

port seems perfectly fine so far (um, one chapter in...) But the camera angle change still gets me every. single. time even after playing the series many times i know, i know, you're just supposed to hold the direction you're running in.

I need more port impressions. Any good?

It's good. People have had the asian version for some days now.

The PS3 version is ace too from what I've seen and impressions from others.

Granted, I've been playing the 360 version - and it took me like 3 hours to get accustomed to the 360 controller. Before, then - my forearm would cramp and I would feel uncomfortable adapting to the RB. But I did adapt. And it's fine now.

So, if you're a DMC dual shock player, know that the 360 controller will feel like an obstacle, but you'll get used to it and realize that at the end of the day, their analogous controllers anyway.

Can you change it?

No, but you can change to control type B, which makes it much easier to press RB + B for melee, and RB+ X for firearms. And then of course RB+X for evasive rolls and stuff.

RB only becomes an annoyance (although an adaptable one) due to the Y button. So you can actually avoid reliance on the Y button by choosing Type B controls for DMC1.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I need more port impressions. Any good?

Me two. I'm still wary since it's Capcom and all. I would love to pick this up though. DMC3 was my second favorite game last gen and I put around a couple hundred hours into it.

No, but you can change to control type B, which makes it much easier to press RB + B for melee, and RB+ X for firearms. And then of course RB+X for evasive rolls and stuff.

RB only becomes an annoyance (although an adaptable one) due to the Y button. So you can actually avoid reliance on the Y button by choosing Type B controls for DMC1.

i'll try out the type B controls tomorrow for sure. Sounds a bit easier.

I wish there were sound balance options (not that they had them in the original.) Just feels like the music is a bit too loud to hear off screen projectiles.

ezekial45

Banned
There was a lot of DMC1 art that I've never seen before. I was actually impressed with some of the old stuff they got. You really could see some designs that dated back to RE4 - Kamiya's version.
That's good to hear. It would've been cool to see what the series would've been like under Kamiya. His sequels were supposed to have Dante's children and grandchildren taking over.

me too

sweatergod

Lol. I just thought about it for a minute, usually when this happens in my area most Gamestops just stick with the original street date for whatever reason. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and call first just to be safe, although the thought of me telling GS to check their email is weird to me.

Lol. I just thought about it for a minute, usually when this happens in my area most Gamestops just stick with the original street date for whatever reason. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and call first just to be safe, although the thought of me telling GS to check their email is weird to me.

At first the guy said April 3rd. And I gave him one of those, "that's odd, a friend of mine got from the store across town, said that there was an email to change release date."

And the guy took it from there, said hold let me check - read email. And bam, said I could pick it up. So...here I am, playing DMC1, shooting grim reapers in da face with my shotgun. Real talk.

At first the guy said April 3rd. And I gave him one of those, "that's odd, a friend of mine got from the store across town, said that there was an email to change release date."

And the guy took it from there, said hold let me check - read email. And bam, said I could pick it up. So...here I am, playing DMC1, shooting grim reapers in da face with my shotgun. Real talk.

I'm definitely going to give that a shot. If I get the green light I'm making magic! And by magic I mean I'm going to turn Ninja Gaiden 3 into DMC HD Collection :)

Cels

Seems fine so far, sans the fact that you can't exit back to the main collection menu out of the individual games and the ugly untouched menus.

That's true for some other HD collections too, God of War being one of them. Definitely an annoyance.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
People who bought that SH collection deserve what they got for even thinking about giving that company money after not including SH 1/4.

You should all be ashamed of your selves and I feel nothing for you.

Alfredo

I wish they had taken one note from the Silent Hill HD Collection and redid the voices for the original 2 games with Reuben Langdon as Dante.

Do they let you customize the controls in DMC1? Is Triangle (or Y) still the jump button? 'cause I played DMC3 before DMC1, and going to DMC1's control scheme after that was really awkward.

And for those with a 360 who would like to use a Dual Shock 2 for these games, I'd suggest looking into getting an Xtokki 360 converter. I bought one to use a DS2 for fighting games, and I'd imagine it'd work wonders for the DMC collection as well.

Top Bottom