• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

ezekial45

Banned
I wish they had taken one note from the Silent Hill HD Collection and redid the voices for the original 2 games with Reuben Langdon as Dante.

Do they let you customize the controls in DMC1? Is Triangle (or Y) still the jump button? 'cause I played DMC3 before DMC1, and going to DMC1's control scheme after that was really awkward.

And for those with a 360 who would like to use a Dual Shock 2 for these games, I'd suggest looking into getting an Xtokki 360 converter. I bought one to use a DS2 for fighting games, and I'd imagine it'd work wonders for the DMC collection as well.

DMC1 has been revamped to play like the other games. So it's much better now.

Also, I don't agree about redubbing the first two games. The thing about these three games is they're each different interpretations for DMC. It just wouldn't work, really. Especially considering the personality from DMC1 Dante to the other ones are very different.

How hard are the trophies in this one? I platinumed bayonetta, will I be able to do so with these games?

I already ordered, but I'm just curious.

How hard are the trophies in this one? I platinumed bayonetta, will I be able to do so with these games?

Even the trophies/cheevos for beating the games (except 2 maybe) on all the difficulties will be controller-smashing for some folks. I definitely salute anyone who can 1000/1000 or platinum this.

Even the trophies/cheevos for beating the games (except 2 maybe) on all the difficulties will be controller-smashing for some folks. I definitely salute anyone who can 1000/1000 or platinum this.

Ouch. I've beaten all three games when they came out, but never touched the harder difficulties. I guess I will see if i can do it.

gunbo13

I have taken the DMC3:SE Combo Guide and create a google doc as suggested. I believe it is very readable.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rUZEPvk_1-YM_QZSzaEWcKy3nizQy9Nnl3LIf3dHzM/edit

Notes
  • Poorly mislabeled, this is not a copy/paste from other guides. I wrote every word.
  • This is not an intro guide.
  • This is not a DMD guide which has also been suggested. This is a very advanced guide regarding combat. Some of it applies to single player but most is conceptual. It is a "combo" guide after-all.
  • I don't believe this spoils anything. I don't make any references to single player. And I think many of these concepts would not be attempted by most players without it in writing. That was the purpose.
  • Most concepts are covered in the videos.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whaaa? It's available at Gamestop now?! Picking it up this afternoon then. I wonder why they ditched the street date.

Hopefully there are digital versions soon. I only want DMC3SE...my favourite action game of all time. I could play it forever and have been dying to have it on my PS3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hopefully there are digital versions soon. I only want DMC3SE...my favourite action game of all time. I could play it forever and have been dying to have it on my PS3.

I implore people to pick this up whenever they get a chance, DD or not. After the fiasco of NG3 and DmC, this is really one of the few deep combat actions games being (re)released. I fear for the future of the genre.

Endo Punk

I implore people to pick this up whenever they get a chance, DD or not. After the fiasco of NG3 and DmC, this is really one of the few deep combat actions games being (re)released. I fear for the future of the genre.

The genre will come back with Revengeance.

vg260

I'm probably picking this up, but if it's like most other HD re-releases I probably will end up not touching it because I won't feel like grinding through some of it. (orb collecting and some annoying secret missions).

I hate the fact that I put so much time into these games before, but don' want to/can't do that again. I really just wanna play through it once more in HD w/ everything unlocked already.

They need to put an option to allow everything unlocked, but disable achievements for these types of re-releases. (this RE4, etc) Why don't they do this? People might be more inclined to pick it up. That's why I never bought RE4HD.

Carbonox

The genre will come back with Revengeance.

Eh...it's more Platinum Games maintaining the genre rather than it coming back, cos no one else can deliver. :p

But yes, Revengeance is our next godsend. Then it's pretty much tunnel of the unknown unless there's a Bayonetta 2, Metal Gear Rising 2 or something brand new that takes the world by storm.

last gen, my favorite genre was on the ropes (fighters), then they came back and now my other favorite genre is on the ropes :\

I hope Revengeance sparks interest in the genre again.

Tobe

having played bayonetta extensively and being one of my all time favorite games, what can i expect in dmc? (i havent played any of the 4)

how is the combo system different in dmc compared to bayo?
how are weapon changes handled?

ill edit this post later cause i have to go now but i would really like to get into this game since well it inspired bayo afaik.

I'm probably picking this up, but if it's like most other HD re-releases I probably will end up not touching it because I won't feel like grinding through some of it. (orb collecting and some annoying secret missions).

I hate the fact that I put so much time into these games before, but don' want to/can't do that again. I really just wanna play through it once more in HD w/ everything unlocked already.

They need to put an option to allow everything unlocked, but disable achievements for these types of re-releases. (this RE4, etc) Why don't they do this? People might be more inclined to pick it up. That's why I never bought RE4HD.

Didn't dmc3 have a code to unlock everything? Is it still in there? I got sidetracked today I haven't been able to pick up a copy.

having played bayonetta extensively and being one of my all time favorite games, what can i expect in dmc? (i havent played any of the 4)

ill edit this post later cause i have to go now but i would really like to get into this game since well it inspired bayo afaik.

To put it succinctly

Dmc1 is like Bayo lite but better encounters, story and progression
Dmc3 is Bayo maxi but with really generic encounters and the style and weapon system require a lot more grinding.

But neither have dodge offset, so you gonna have to get used to playing without that.

Oh man, I don't recall. I wonder if they'd block it due to achievements though :/

Just checked what the code is, you would still need to buy your skills/ earn style upgrades but if it isn't blocked, you could level up pretty quickly in bloody palace mode with super Dante/ corrupt Vergil. That's what I did when I lost my memory card.

Got the 360 version but I'm hesitant to open it before I get some impressions on how well it plays on 360. Both performance and well, the controller.

Just checked what the code is, you would still need to buy your skills/ earn style upgrades but if it isn't blocked, you could level up pretty quickly in bloody palace mode with super Dante/ corrupt Vergil. That's what I did when I lost my memory card.

good call, didn't think to do that. love the game, but I really don't want to grind from scratch.

randomwab

Just had a friend from Norway confirm that his 360 copy is having the same issue as Nemesis556 was having; it loads to the start menu and press start is shown, but doing so does nothing.

Anyone tried their 360 copy yet? Is it working?

Dahbomb

DMC1 is a simpler action game but still has tight controls and game play. The atmosphere and enemy designs are still some of the best there are as well as the general gothic feel to the game is quite unparalleled in the genre. It's less about doing combos and more about applying fundamental action gaming skills. Dodging is going to be difficult in DMC games as compared to Bayonetta as it's not just a single button, you have to do R1 + Left or Right + X to roll which is essential for survival. Weapon changing in DMC1 is all done by the menu but you can swap between Ifrit and Alastor using R3 although there is a delay.

DMC3SE takes the fundamentals of DMC1 and kicks everything up to 11. More weapons, more moves, more options, more mechanics and especially a combo system that remains untouched even by Bayonetta. The enemies aren't as expertly designed as in DMC1 but the bosses and story is still fun plus you get to play as Dante's brother Vergil as well. It's a type of game where the more you put in the more you get out of it. The weapon swaps are mapped to the R2/L2, one is for devil arms and one is for firearms. At one time you get to equip 2 Devil arms and 2 Firearms so you can freely swap among them. You have to go to a time statue to change your load out if you want to play with a different set up or style. This customizable aspect is what Bayonetta took from DMC3 along with the real time weapon swap mechanic.

If I could compare the 2 games to fighting games, DMC1 is Super Turbo and DMC3SE is UMVC3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh man, I don't recall. I wonder if they'd block it due to achievements though :/

If I remember correctly, the code works, but blocks achievements. Best of both worlds!

To put it succinctly

Dmc1 is like Bayo lite but better encounters, story and progression
Dmc3 is Bayo maxi but with really generic encounters and the style and weapon system require a lot more grinding.

But neither have dodge offset, so you gonna have to get used to playing without that.

Maybe by "encounters", you meant just regular enemies, but DMC3 has the best bosses that gaming has to offer

Got the 360 version but I'm hesitant to open it before I get some impressions on how well it plays on 360. Both performance and well, the controller.

Performance of the 360 version is fantastic. I'm on mission 19 with DMC1 and no problems.

The controller...ummm, as somebody who played maybe over 300 hours of the previous DMC games on dual shock, I certainly had to get used to it. And I did. And it's as functional and capable as you'd expect. So, yes - the performance and the controller on xbox 360 are suited for DMC1, especially after some adaptation with it.

Dahbomb

I don't get the controller issues.... this isn't pre-DMC4 anymore when we didn't know what a DMC game would feel on a 360 controller.

I put in over 400 hours on DMC4 with 360 controller and then some with a DS3 when the PC version came out. It's good on both and while I prefer the DS3/DS2 because I have been playing DMC games for over 10 years on it the 360 controller gets the job done. You can do all the fancy combos and stuff on any controller.

DMC3 does have some excellent boss fights (some of the best ever) but it does have some really average/mediocre enemy encounters. Compared to DMC1 where every new enemy encounter is a treat and puzzle in of itself. Nothing in DMC3 enemy wise compares to Shadows, Frosts, Blades, Fetishes, Nobodies, Death Scythe/Scissors etc. I would even put the enemies in DMC4 over the ones in DMC3, at least every enemy in DMC4 was fully comboable.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC3 does have some excellent boss fights (some of the best ever) but it does have some really average/mediocre enemy encounters. Compared to DMC1 where every new enemy encounter is a treat and puzzle in of itself. Nothing in DMC3 enemy wise compares to Shadows, Frosts, Blades, Fetishes, Nobodies, Death Scythe/Scissors etc. I would even put the enemies in DMC4 over the ones in DMC3, at least every enemy in DMC4 was fully comboable.

I agree to an extent. The enemies fit into a particular theme (the sins, for example), that I rather liked, but I do understand that the encounters may be a bit lackluster compared to DMC1's.

Performance of the 360 version is fantastic. I'm on mission 19 with DMC1 and no problems.

The controller...ummm, as somebody who played maybe over 300 hours of the previous DMC games on dual shock, I certainly had to get used to it. And I did. And it's as functional and capable as you'd expect. So, yes - the performance and the controller on xbox 360 are suited for DMC1, especially after some adaptation with it.

Thanks! I'm sure it's fine, was just looking for a bit of testimony before opening it.

If I remember correctly, the code works, but blocks achievements. Best of both worlds!

Maybe by "encounters", you meant just regular enemies, but DMC3 has the best bosses that gaming has to offer

Compared to Bayo?

I'm not one usually for "spectacle" but I personally think Bayo's bosses generally outstrip DMC3 by far, at least in terms of epicness. Let us not forget that in Bayo
you have a battle on a missile, have a skyscraper dropped on you and punch God into the sun.

Who has the best boss fights out of Vergil and Jeanne are harder to pin down though.

I don't think DMC1 has more epic boss fights either, but everything feels so fresh, tight and in keeping with the overall theme and progression of the game. Someof DMC3's bosses are more throwaway and could have been in any game.

ezekial45

Banned
I don't get the controller issues.... this isn't pre-DMC4 anymore when we didn't know what a DMC game would feel on a 360 controller.

I put in over 400 hours on DMC4 with 360 controller and then some with a DS3 when the PC version came out. It's good on both and while I prefer the DS3/DS2 because I have been playing DMC games for over 10 years on it the 360 controller gets the job done. You can do all the fancy combos and stuff on any controller.

You have my respect for investing so much time in DMC4. As refined as the combat engine was, the game just got boring really quickly on subsequent playthroughs. I put in about 60 hours, but I just got bored with it during the Hell and Hell mode and stopped.

You have my respect for investing so much time in DMC4. As refined as the combat engine was, the game just got boring really quickly on subsequent playthroughs. I put in about 60 hours, but I just got bored with it during the Hell and Hell mode and stopped.

Bloody palace is where it's at.

MechaX

Personally, I think you're being too generous to most of DMC3's enemies by just calling them average/mediocre. Most people only really remember the Sloths because they have so much HP that they are combo-fodder. And then you have some extremely terrible encounters like the Dullahans and the angels that go through walls, neither of them combo-able. I mean, DMC4 Frosts are a far cry from how they were in DMC1, but I would still put them above a vast majority of DMC3's enemy selection. And DMC4 did introduce the Blitz, probably one of the better enemies seen in the series IMO.

OMG, those fucking angels that go through the walls in DMC3. I still don't have a full-proof strategy for those things besides A&R spam.

Dahbomb

DMC3 enemies were fine when you realize that certain styles body certain enemies. It was a poor design choice to balance enemies around styles especially when you are first playing the game. Fallens can easily be beaten by Trickster or Royal Guard but against Gunslinger or Swordmaster it's a chore to beat them. Then there were enemies like those Souls who basically were meant to be taken out using Gunslinger and Spiral with the Trick shots. Geryon is a frustrating boss fight until you realize that Quicksilver style negates half of Geryon's options making the boss battle much more manageable along with the fact that Cerberus has elemental strength against Geryon.

Then of course some enemies were balanced so that Yamato would be more effective against certain enemies which is something that Dante doesn't have. Yamato against Fallen makes the fight look like taking candy from a baby because Fallens are intrinsically weak against dark energy. Ditto for Beowulf who is also super weak against Yamato. Every enemy and boss in the game is weak to something whether it be a style or a weapon, it's up to the player to find them. Once you find them you go through enemies fast eliminating the original frustration where you had to figure them out.

Most people still don't know that Nevan's Air Play completely negates Enigma arrow spam and boosts your style rating through the roof. Call it whatever you want but the games enemies were actually balanced around the options of Dante and Vergil excellently it's just that most people go through the game without even trying most of the weapons outside of tinkering with them for 5 minutes. Still though boring enemies are still boring like having to deal with individual chess pieces... yawn.

Top 10 things that DMC3 improved from DMC1 (I can explain all of these and why I picked them)

10) Control system optimized and fully customizable
9) Checkpoint system corrected for modern expectations
8) 2nd unlockable character
7) More weapon classes added
6) Style ranking system revamped
5) Cutscenes have more action choreography
4) Move properties greatly expanded
3) Introduction of Styles
2) Aerial moves can be cancelled with Enemy Step
1) Real-time weapon swap for both firearms and devil arms

Top 10 things that DMC1 still does better than DMC3

10) Dante Must Die is well balanced in that both enemies and bosses are equally increased in difficulties with the DT mechanic actually making sense.
9) The best effects for the Devil Triggers.
8) Artistic design of menus, enemy files and weapon arts best in the series.
7) Game had fatality kills on Dante RE style. It was a nice touch.
6) Better overall selection of Secret Missions with the final one giving you a nice reward.
5) Soundtrack is easier on the ears for most people and has more creepy tracks to keep with the mood of the environments.
4) Devil Trigger management was much more important and useful in DMC1. DT exclusive moves were rightfully powerful.
3) Dante's personality was a good balance of serious demon hunter and cocky, stylish bad ass.
2) Gothic atmosphere and environment design still the best in the series.
1) Impeccable attention to detail on the enemy designs both from a game play and aesthetic point of view.

Aside from #1, most things that DMC1 does better are in the aesthetics and most things that DMC3 does better than DMC1 are in the game play/mechanics.

Curufinwe

I found Bayonetta easier than the original American version of DMC 3, so when I get DMC 3 HD I won't be expecting to platinum it. I only ever managed to beat the first two missions of DMC 3 on DMD.

I found Bayonetta easier than the original American version of DMC 3, so when I get DMC 3 HD I won't be expecting to platinum it. I only ever managed to beat the first two missions of DMC 3 on DMD.

DMC3:HD has infinite checkpoints though. Making run through on DMD more doable.

Endo Punk

last gen, my favorite genre was on the ropes (fighters), then they came back and now my other favorite genre is on the ropes :\

I hope Revengeance sparks interest in the genre again.

On the ropes? Capcom vs SNK 2001, King of Fighters, GG games, Tekken games, DOA games, VF4 Evo, Soul Calibur 2 didn't do it for you? I reckon every genre was taken cared of last gen. This gen Im seeing more of a decline compared to last, at least in terms of quality.

It has infinite checkpoints? Do you mean the Gold Orb mode? (Yellow Orbs fo' life!)

Don't get me wrong. We can rock yellow orb all day, but for most other people...you know.

PS: DMC1 has an achievement for not using any yellow orbs. And I could have gotten that, but I had to use it during that stupid ass secret mission with Kyklops. (the one where you have to let one of them kill the other) All while in a mision where your health is constantly being depleted.

So I had to use a few yellow orbs on that secret mission.

Pissed, I am son.

Endo Punk

I don't wanna play DMC3 ever again. Got SS rank on every stage in DMD mode, nothing more to do. Now Capcom can charge me anything they want if they only make DMC1 DD.

Top Bottom