• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Curufinwe

DMC3:HD has infinite checkpoints though. Making run through on DMD more doable.

Oh, that would help a lot. I gave up on trying to get any further on DMD because I knew I would need a ton of items to compensate for my limited skills and the item prices had gotten crazy expensive.

But in 2005 I did enjoy the difficulty of the original US version of DMC3. Every mission past the first two felt like a war. But nowadays I'll happily take every checkpoint a developer wants to give me.

Kayo-kun

It comes out on the 3rd over here :(

I am so hyped for this collection, since it's been so long since I played the first 3 DMC games. I barely remember DMC2 though. I know that I played it at a friends house back when it came out, but was it really that bad?

Dahbomb

Re-posting lists for new page:

Top 10 things that DMC3 improved from DMC1 (I can explain all of these and why I picked them)

10) Control system optimized and fully customizable
9) Checkpoint system corrected for modern expectations
8) 2nd unlockable character
7) More weapon classes added
6) Style ranking system revamped
5) Cutscenes have more action choreography
4) Move properties greatly expanded
3) Introduction of Styles
2) Aerial moves can be cancelled with Enemy Step
1) Real-time weapon swap for both firearms and devil arms

Top 10 things that DMC1 still does better than DMC3

10) Dante Must Die is well balanced in that both enemies and bosses are equally increased in difficulties with the DT mechanic actually making sense.
9) The best effects for the Devil Triggers.
8) Artistic design of menus, enemy files and weapon arts best in the series.
7) Game had fatality kills on Dante RE style. It was a nice touch.
6) Better overall selection of Secret Missions with the final one giving you a nice reward.
5) Soundtrack is easier on the ears for most people and has more creepy tracks to keep with the mood of the environments.
4) Devil Trigger management was much more important and useful in DMC1. DT exclusive moves were rightfully powerful.
3) Dante's personality was a good balance of serious demon hunter and cocky, stylish bad ass.
2) Gothic atmosphere and environment design still the best in the series.
1) Impeccable attention to detail on the enemy designs both from a game play and aesthetic point of view.

Aside from #1, most things that DMC1 does better are in the aesthetics and most things that DMC3 does better than DMC1 are in the game play/mechanics.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Bayonetta was super easy to get all the achivements in for me, because you could use things like the Evil Harvest Rosary on Infinite Climax mode. There's still a lot more to the game like getting all platinums on that difficulty they didn't mandate.

Similarly, the DMC collection would be time consuming but not THAT difficult, though I'd say it'll be a lot harder than Bayonetta. You still don't have to S rank everything, just beat DMD. Bloody Palace needs cleared though, which I'd say raise it a lot.

Endo Punk

Aside from #1, most things that DMC1 does better are in the aesthetics and most things that DMC3 does better than DMC1 are in the game play/mechanics.

Great list! DMC3 aesthetics are frankly shit whereas as DMC1 is still a very stylish and exciting game to play despite DMC3 being on another level. Overal DMC1 is my favourite and I wish for the series to one day return to the survival horror and gothic vibe.

Bayonetta was super easy to get all the achivements in for me, because you could use things like the Evil Harvest Rosary on Infinite Climax mode. There's still a lot more to the game like getting all platinums on that difficulty they didn't mandate.

Similarly, the DMC collection would be time consuming but not THAT difficult, though I'd say it'll be a lot harder than Bayonetta. You still don't have to S rank everything, just beat DMD. Bloody Palace needs cleared though, which I'd say raise it a lot.

I agree, they are more time consuming than difficult.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So the PS3 version holds up? Any frame drops/missing effects/crappy audio to be concerned about? I'm hoving over the place order button atm.

OMG, those fucking angels that go through the walls in DMC3. I still don't have a full-proof strategy for those things besides A&R spam.

I loved using royal guard. It built your stylish meter pretty well even though you were mostly just standing waiting for them to strike.

sn00zer

I remember DMC actually being pretty creepy.... really wish that aesthetic would come back....kind interesting that a horror game started the stylish action genre as it seems counter intuitive to the horror genre

Going through the hell segments in DMC1 in HD was a blast. Loved the music in the background too.

I only found 6 secret missions for DMC1. Completed them all. The secret missions in DMC1 are pretty easy when compared to DMC4. I wonder where the other 6 are?

Dahbomb

Great list! DMC3 aesthetics are frankly shit whereas as DMC1 is still a very stylish and exciting game to play despite DMC3 being on another level.
I wouldn't call the aesthetics in DMC3 shit, it has some legitimately nice areas and actual gothic locations. The top of Temen-Ni-Gru and the entrance to hell are easily top 5 most impressive locations in a DMC game yet. It's just overall it's not as good as DMC1. Shit aesthetics belong to DMC2.

So are both versions nearly identical then? No issues? The PS3 Sillent Hill HD collection has me skittish about these things anymore.

burgerdog

Managed to snag a 360 copy before GameStop ran out since they didn't get that many. I'm kind of tempted to play dmc2 at some point because I've never played it before.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Bought it, popped it in, and immediately started DMC3. Fits like a glove. It's perfect. I'm so happy I get to play this again.

One thing I noticed... you can't slash and shoot the loading screen anymore. :( But who the hell cares? :p

Himself

So are both versions nearly identical then? No issues? The PS3 Sillent Hill HD collection has me skittish about these things anymore.

I'm waiting for the answer to this, too.

Slightly OT, but was either version of DMC 4 considered superior? I never played it and I figure I might as well barrel through all 4.

I love DMC 3's style... except for Dante's gun strap/training bra.
Original Dante design is the best forever

Bought it, popped it in, and immediately started DMC3. Fits like a glove. It's perfect. I'm so happy I get to play this again.

One thing I noticed... you can't slash and shoot the loading screen anymore. :( But who the hell cares? :p

:[ I care! I loved seeing how many times I could break it while it loaded. Speaking of, how're the loading times?

Beth Cyra

I'm waiting for the answer to this, too.

Slightly OT, but was either version of DMC 4 considered superior? I never played it and I figure I might as well barrel through all 4.

4 ran amazing on both PS3 and 360 as far as I remember. A big thing when it launched however was that the PS3 had a crazy long install (45 mins) but it came with the fact that while the areas where huge and beautiful it had almost no load times.

Since then they have added Install to 360 so you can likely get that on both versions.

Gameplay and the amount of variations between Dante and Nero is fucking amazing and some of the best combat in any game period. Bloody Palace with all skills is one of the best experinces this gen.

I love DMC 3's style... except for Dante's gun strap/training bra.
Original Dante design is the best forever

:[ I care! I loved seeing how many times I could break it while it loaded. Speaking of, how're the loading times?

I have it installed on my 360. So it's pretty fast. Faster than how they were on PS2. Probably less than a second for each new area.

So, I've been playing some DMC2, and I made a post on page 1 about a few basic things, and I'm going to do it for DMC2:

Quick DMC2 tips

1) DMC2 combos do not work on timing intervals between button presses ala DMC1/DMC3, instead, it works on a neutral versus direction input system. So basically, [Y, Y, Y, Y] is one combo. [Analog Direction (any direction) + Y, Y, Y] is another. Then you have, [Y, Y, Analog in any direction, Y, Y, Y, Y, Y] So and so forth.

Shotgun is massively nerfed from DMC1. However, it does do solid damage against large objects and bosses (because the buck spread is hitting the entire body) and it's got great power up close. Remeber DMC2 introduced instant gun switching, so use Ebony and Ivory to stun enemies, then quick switch to shotgun via L.Trigger (or L2) and pop them with it. The shotgun also has great stopping power against the Goatling based enemies, keep that in mind.

There is an offense heart gem in the level with those tanks. It's early in the game, I think mission 5 or something. Anyway, Upon seeing the first tank, go the other direction back and jump over the rubble. You'll see an item protected by a barrier. Keep note of that. Continue back and kill the first tank. But don't keep forward, instead take a right up toward the bridge. Kill the other tank. Keep going forward and grab the blue orb. Fall down in the gap and the barrier blocking the offense heart gem will be unsealed. Grab it. NOTE: Do not keep going forward after seeing the first tank (thereby ignoring the bridge path) because a cutscene will ensue and you can't go back.

DMC2 Dante seems a little slugging compared to DMC1 Dante. So I feel the quickest and safest string against bosses is the following: Y, Y, Y (hightime). This allows you to strike four times and gives you safe defense because the hightime effectively lifted you up in the air. While you are safely in the air and the boss is doing his attack down below, you can control your rate of descent by shooting your firearms which are really floaty in DMC2. Then proceed with an honest to goodness helm breaker.

Hightime is performed - as always, RB+Direction Back+Y *press and hold Y*

There are a lot of secret rooms via doors. But instead of checking every useless door to see if it leads to a secret mission, I'd just check a quick FAQ or some youtube video showing DMC2's secret missions.

Already having nightmares of having to face Nightmare's 3rd and final battle on DMD mode once again. That battle took everything inside of me and then some in order to come out with the victory.

Chemo

Can someone post a photograph of an American PS3 copy? I have a hard time believing that the fucking European HD Classics box art made it over here. If it did, that's completely disgusting.

impact

Banned
Can someone post a photograph of an American PS3 copy? I have a hard time believing that the fucking European HD Classics box art made it over here. If it did, that's completely disgusting.

sorry for shit quality

X7igE.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It's true. Capcom got really lazy for this one. No reversible art either :/
Still shaking my head over this one.

Chemo

Thanks, everyone.

And holy shit, no thanks for the lazy work, Capcom. Totally getting this ASAP but damn Capcom can't get anything right anymore.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't think the box art is that bad. I've seen worse for the collections.

It's definitely up there with some of the worst, mainly for the fact that the 'Classics HD' brand doesn't even exist in America. That's something SCE Europe does.

burgerdog

It's definitely up there with some of the worst, mainly for the fact that the 'Classics HD' brand doesn't even exist in America. That's something SCE Europe does.

Yea, what's up with that? The 360 version is simply dmc hd collection with the same set of art.

MechaX

Advance tactics for DMC2:

Spam SMG and E&I.

When low on health turn on DDT.

I had to train myself to not use Stinger. Seriously, what in the hell did they do to that move?

Anyway, any more impressions on how DMC1 and 3 run HD wise? *crossing fingers for not another Silent Hill Collection*

Whaaaaat. The Kazuma Kaneko Devil Trigger in 3 was awesome.

He might be talking more special DT abilities. DMC3's Nevan DT had the ability to kinda fly and... that was it. DMC1's DT had additional effects and moves (like Kick 13 I think).

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. Dahbomb clarified.

impact

Banned
I had to train myself to not use Stinger. Seriously, what in the hell did they do to that move?

Anyway, any more impressions on how DMC1 and 3 run HD wise? *crossing fingers for not another Silent Hill Collection*

I'm like an hour into the PS3 version and it runs great, and looks surprisingly decent for such an old game.

e: talking about DMC1

Dahbomb

Best effects, not best design.

The lightning and fire effects in DMC1 were amazing for it's time. The actual design itself was analogous to an amorphous statue but it's the effects of the DT that really sold the design. The way Dante flashed when he struck the opponents during DT was extremely bad ass. Sound effects were top notch as well.

burgerdog

Man, I didn't realize that the office opening scene in dmc3 is a 480i/p video so my initial impression was: this looks like terrible. As soon as I was given control of Dante, the IQ shot up and it looks like a proper HD port.

edit
Oh, fuck, inverted X axis. Crap.

Got my 360 copy today. Played about 2 hours of DMC. Basically just still trying to get readjusted to playing, double because of the 360 controller.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
@Tobe1: Bayonetta might have dodge offset and parry, but DMC3 has Royal Guard and DT flux. DMC3 bosses are a fair bit harder though. DMD Vergil > Inf. Climax Jeanne in terms of difficulty, imo. She's fair and he's complete Marvel Cheap Status. But yea, you'll love this shit. You get to mash a lot of buttons.

Top Bottom