• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I forgot how much of a hand breaker these games were... not that I'm super amazing at them or anything.

I'm going in order of release.

1, 2 and 3.

2 serves a purpose, as it's a calm lull (borderline boring) between the intensity of 1 and the crazyness of 3.

Yeah, that 360 controller. You'll get what I'm saying with how you have to get used to it, but then again - anyone who has played DMC4 on 360 knows the importance of RB and you'll get back into the groove eventually. Don't fret.

If you feel rusty in DMC1, remember to check back on the mechanics in the menu screen. Press start (duh) to go the menu, and click over to the sub-menu "ACTION" It'll give you the basic control concepts for DMC1.

Setero

Neo Member
Aside from #1, most things that DMC1 does better are in the aesthetics and most things that DMC3 does better than DMC1 are in the game play/mechanics.

I'd argue that DMC3 does story better than DMC1 as well, despite some overly campy moments in DMC3 it also had some moments of genuine moments of emotion, whereas when DMC1 went for anything serious it was usually cringe worthy. Also I don't know if I would agree that DMC3 Dante isn't a mix of serious demon hunter and cocky, stylish bad ass, maybe less than DMC1 Dante but he still did get serious at times.

I forgot how much of a hand breaker these games were... not that I'm super amazing at them or anything.

Hmm, I figured my forearm was getting cramped because of the 360 controller. The Dual Shock is pretty DMC friendly if my memory serves correct.

Either way, my hand got acclimated to the 360 controller with DMC1 about an hour or so in. I'm sure you'll adjust to the Dual Shock even faster. Remember it's been a long ass time since DMC4's 2008. So it's been awhile since people were pressing shoulder buttons with face buttons whilst dodging and pulling off combos n' shit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmm, I figured my forearm was getting cramped because of the 360 controller. The Dual Shock is pretty DMC friendly if my memory serves correct.

Either way, my hand got acclimated to the 360 controller with DMC1 about an hour or so in. I'm sure you'll adjust to the Dual Shock even faster. Remember it's been a long ass time since DMC4's 2008. So it's been awhile since people were pressing shoulder buttons with face buttons whilst dodging and pulling off combos n' shit.

Long ass time since I wasted $90 on an import of that game lol

I'm going in order of release.

1, 2 and 3.

2 serves a purpose, as it's a calm lull (borderline boring) between the intensity of 1 and the crazyness of 3.

Yeah, that 360 controller. You'll get what I'm saying with how you have to get used to it, but then again - anyone who has played DMC4 on 360 knows the importance of RB and you'll get back into the groove eventually. Don't fret.

If you feel rusty in DMC1, remember to check back on the mechanics in the menu screen. Press start (duh) to go the menu, and click over to the sub-menu "ACTION" It'll give you the basic control concepts for DMC1.

Im rolling with the Type B setup. Even coming from DMC4 on the 360 I'm still adjusting but I'm managing so far. Yeah that RB is vital!

Jarmel

Banned
Is there technical reasons as to why I should get the PS3 version compared to the 360 version? I prefer the 360 controller.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vergil <3
Capcom should just full on remake these... they're so dated :( Or at least give me a game where I can play as Vergil again... and no, UMvC3 doesn't count.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I considered it, but I want to save the best for last. I KNOW I'm not going to want to go from 3,1, to 2.

Hah, that's what I'm doing (3, 1, 2).

I just had to dive right into 3. Marathoned through and beat it in one sitting, no items, no breaks, just finished. That alone was worth the $40 to me. Damn, I love these games. Now I'm deciding whether to begin a new game on a harder difficulty or go into DMC1.

I'm gonna miss this series. :(

Is there technical reasons as to why I should get the PS3 version compared to the 360 version? I prefer the 360 controller.

Not really. 360 controller is perfectly fine, and there doesn't appear to be any differences between the two versions.

ezekial45

Banned
Interesting, I didn't know Double Helix/Foundation 9 did work on this collection.

Anyway, I'm about to start it up. I'm gonna go in order. It should be fun. :)

EDIT: Also, one piece of DmC fan art did make it in. It's the one with the split Dante.

Oh stop it. It's not gone.

Hah, that's what I'm doing (3, 1, 2).

I just had to dive right into 3. Marathoned through and beat it in one sitting, no items, no breaks, just finished. That alone was worth the $40 to me. Damn, I love these games. Now I'm deciding whether to begin a new game on a harder difficulty or go into DMC1.

For me, DMC3 was where everything peaked. I want to relive that feeling when I first got the game, that means slugging through DMC1 (which I enjoyed) and DMC2 (which I didn't hate as much as others).

Man, everyone who hasn't:

Go to the Soundtrack and put something badass on. Then go to the art vault and look at some of the shit from DMC1.

I've been a huge DMC fan since it's release and I have never seen many of these.

The one with Dante and Vergil as infants laying in a fetal position on top of the Umbrella symbol look interesting. I'd love if Kamiya could comment on that one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Best buys are able to sell them early too.

Oh sweet, really? I should tell my friend who pre-ordered a copy at Best Buy.

Go to the Soundtrack and put something badass on. Then go to the art vault and look at some of the shit from DMC1.

I've been a huge DMC fan since it's release and I have never seen many of these.

The one with Dante and Vergil as infants laying in a fetal position on top of the Umbrella symbol look interesting. I'd love if Kamiya could comment on that one.

I'm really impressed with the gallery. It doesn't feel tacked on and full of images that are already plastered on the internet. It's good stuff.

It's funny because I was looking at that Umbrella Twins picture right before reading your post. It's pretty fascinating to see so much concept art of things that were scrapped from what was originally Biohazard 4.

Teknoman

Possible "Wesker children" before they changed it to DMC?

I forgot how satisfying it felt using Ifrit :)

I remember underestimating the power of a fully charged Ifrit attack back when I played this way back when. But I've been using it more now and you can kill a fetish with two quick shots, finished with two fully charged ones.

And Kick 13 is such a good move.

Teknoman

They were originally the children of Oswell Spencer, and I think their eyes originally glowed red when they used their (presumably virus-given) powers, so probably something like that.

Cool, right on the money then:

The Wesker children, were an advanced race of human beings 'created' by Oswell E. Spencer, head of Umbrella Their creation was an operation known as Wesker Project, named after the director of the project, commonly shortened to Project W. This was one of the most significant viral operations centering around the Progenitor virus.

And Albert does pretty much the same thing (and he even used a DMC style Black coat, so I guess they decided to pay homage in his final appearance). Thinking about this...RE4 might have been even more over the top than alot of it's QTE encounters are already.

HYDE

Banned

Maybe it's a reference of them being born from experimenting with Resident Evil.
Hence Umbrella children.

Mengetsu

God I forgot how great the OST is for DMC1! Im enjoying myself currently on mission 15 right now. It feels so good to play these again.

Aske

I can't wait to replay DMC1. Action gaming perfection. Compared to DMC3 it's the simpler game, but for me it does what it does so well that I'm more compelled to play it again, and trade DMC3's complexity for every other aspect of game design. Balancing the use of Devil Trigger, perfecting Alastor and Ifrit, every single boss battle...I remember the first time I figured out that Ifrit's Rolling Blaze repelled Nightmare's homing missiles, the first time I fought Nelo Angelo, "Flock off featherface!", the goddamn pirate ship, Mundus on DMD, perfectly timed Sin Scissor shotgun instakills; and Shadows! Best enemies in an action game, ever.

I'll play DMC2 for the hell of it, too. I gave a friend's copy a whirl when it came out and was too disappointed to play for long. Never picked it up myself. DMC3:SE I might skip for now. It's a phenomenal game, and I absolutely understand why it's such a fan favourite, but I played it to death twice (regular version, then SE) and despite the masterful combat mechanics and a few memorable moments it's not a game I'm desperate to return to. So much grinding before all options become available, and so many battles/levels felt like a chore by the time I stopped playing it on the PS2. But that's the great thing about a package that includes all three games. I hope we get a DMC5 evolved from the best elements of 1,3, and 4 some day. Hard to believe last gen gave us three DMC games, and this gen will only see one and a sub-60fps spin-off.

I can't wait to replay DMC1. Action gaming perfection. Compared to DMC3 it's the simpler game, but for me it does what it does so well that I'm more compelled to play it again, and trade DMC3's complexity for every other aspect of game design. Balancing the use of Devil Trigger, perfecting Alastor and Ifrit, every single boss battle...I remember the first time I figured out that Ifrit's Rolling Blaze repelled Nightmare's homing missiles, the first time I fought Nelo Angelo, "Flock off featherface!", the goddamn pirate ship, Mundus on DMD, perfectly timed Sin Scissor shotgun instakills; and Shadows! Best enemies in an action game, ever.

I'll play DMC2 for the hell of it, too. I gave a friend's copy a whirl when it came out and was too disappointed to play for long. Never picked it up myself. DMC3:SE I might skip for now. It's a phenomenal game, and I absolutely understand why it's such a fan favourite, but I played it to death twice (regular version, then SE) and despite the masterful combat mechanics and a few memorable moments it's not a game I'm desperate to return to. So much grinding before all options become available, and so many battles/levels felt like a chore by the time I stopped playing it on the PS2. But that's the great thing about a package that includes all three games. I hope we get a DMC5 evolved from the best elements of 1,3, and 4 some day. Hard to believe last gen gave us three DMC games, and this gen will only see one and a sub-60fps spin-off.

Rolling Blaze knocks back's Nightmares missiles? I forgot about that. And here I was wondering why Nightmare Round 3 was pissing me off.

Aske

Rolling Blaze knocks back's Nightmares missiles? I forgot about that. And here I was wondering why Nightmare Round 3 was pissing me off.

Sure does! Time it perfectly, and every missile in the salvo bounces off Dante and flies back into Nightmare. Probably the single most useful thing you can do with Rolling Blaze.

Dahbomb

It deflects the Spikes and Boomerang as well which pretty much stuns Nightmare for a few seconds, enough for you to charge up a Meteor LVL2 for massive damage.

Rolling Blaze negates most small, low durability projectiles in the game and most physical attacks as well.

Wesker: "They said I could be anything I wanted... so I become a Sparda!"

Probably the single most useful thing you can do with Rolling Blaze.
Rolling Blaze does a lot more stuff than that. It shatters Nelo Angelo's Summoned Swords and if you time against Nelo Angelo's physical attacks the Rolling Blaze will parry his attacks leaving him vulnerable for counter attacks. Against Nightmare I already listed that you can deflect his Spike and Boomerang attacks negating them completely and stunning Nightmare for a few crucial seconds.

There is more mind blowing stuff where that came from.

Carbonox

Oh stop it. It's not gone.

Yes it is. The series is being replaced with a reboot called DmC: Devil May Cry which could well spawn its own new series.

The series as we know it is gone. That's a fact.

Holy shit at the Rolling Blaze info. I had no idea. D:

Dahbomb

There is a link in the OT which takes you to a sort of mini guide I made for the game in honor of the release of the collection. It has a lot of information like this.

Aske

Rolling Blaze does a lot more stuff than that. It shatters Nelo Angelo's Summoned Swords and if you time against Nelo Angelo's physical attacks the Rolling Blaze will parry his attacks leaving him vulnerable for counter attacks. Against Nightmare I already listed that you can deflect his Spike and Boomerang attacks negating them completely and stunning Nightmare for a few crucial seconds.

There is more mind blowing stuff where that came from.

I remember using Rolling Blaze for a long while simply because it looked cool as hell...and then I started spotting what it could do. I doubt I found everything in your list, but I remember knocking back Nightmarangs and spikes with it. The reason I said countering the homing missiles was the single most useful thing about RB is because it turns what may be Nightmare's most irritating attack into something that actually damages it. I think dodging with a roll never quite gets you clear of the last missile; they were super hard to avoid. That's why the memory is one of my all-time gaming highlights - Rolling Blaze missile counters were a game changer!

Yes it is. The series is being replaced with a reboot called DmC: Devil May Cry which could well spawn its own new series.

The series as we know it is gone. That's a fact.

Nah. Capcom's not that stupid. DmC is like Resident Evil Outbreak - a terrible, experimental spinoff/cash-in that no one will buy, but which will not effect the main series.

ScOULaris

How are these ports? Silent Hill, or better?

Other than 2 HD sets, most have been bad.

There have been more good ones than bad ones.

Gold Tier:
Ico/SotC Collection
MGS Collection
GoW: Origins Collection

Silver Tier:
GoW Collection
BG&E HD
Sly Collection
Jak & Daxter Collection
DMC Collection (I'm assuming from impressions/vids)

Shit Tier:
PoP Collection
Splinter Cell Collection

Abortion Tier:
Silent Hill Collection

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How are these ports? Silent Hill, or better?

Other than 2 HD sets, most have been bad.
That's not true at all. Most HD ports have been great, actually.

MGS HD, ICO & SotC, both God of War Collections (especially Origins), Beyond Good & Evil, Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Overkill, Oddworld Strangers Wrath (60 fps), Tekken Tag, Sly Collection, etc.

All of these were of excellent quality with smooth, consistent framerates and properly implemented visual effects. Most of them smoothed out all of the annoying performance issues present in the original games as well. Even ports that were slammed a bit (like RE4) are still actual improvements over the originals (they simply failed to add anything else to the package).

The B-tier ports would include things like Splinter Cell, Price of Persia, and perhaps Jak and Daxter. Jak isn't bad at all but runs at sub-720p, which is unfortunate, but it's still a huge improvement over the originals. PoP is smooth enough, but not as polished as it should be, and Splinter Cell is uneven. Chaos Theory is a great port which looks and runs much smoother than the XBOX version while the first two SC games are somewhat unstable and poor by comparison.

Silent Hill is truly the first and only "remaster disaster" to date. It is, without a doubt, a complete mess of a port. Even the worst ports mentioned above (Splinter Cell 1, for instance) are light years beyond this in that they only really suffer from an unstable framerate while leaving everything else in tact.

Chances are high that DMC will be at least a reasonably solid port. I'd say the games themselves won't hold up that well, however, as they had a lot of poor textures and uneven models. At 60 fps on an SDTV it was easier to hide these flaws, but I think viewing them in HD will more easily reveal those issues. I don't think they stand up as well as some of the other games that were re-released.

ScOULaris

Silent Hill is truly the first and only "remaster disaster" to date. It is, without a doubt, a complete mess of a port. Even the worst ports mentioned above (Splinter Cell 1, for instance) are light years beyond this in that they only really suffer from an unstable framerate while leaving everything else in tact.

I don't think it will ever be topped in terms of sheer awfulness. I think Konami and Hijinks should be jailed for such a crime against humanity.

RPGCrazied

PoP is pretty bad too. Sounds are fucked, lighting is gone. Of course I've only played the first one. I haven't tried the other 2 though.

Top Bottom