• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

DrAndonuts said:
Picked this up at Gamestop today. There's barely any 3D, except the opening video, and during the story sequences, the top screen is just black. The voice acting is surprisingly decent so far, though.

is it really every single line of dialogue though?

When was the last jrpg that did that?

Also would love for someone to check out 'easy mode'. I do hope it ain't dumb easy like Bayonetta or something.

something that 'average kids' can enjoy ;P

DrAndonuts said:
Picked this up at Gamestop today. There's barely any 3D, except the opening video, and during the story sequences, the top screen is just black. The voice acting is surprisingly decent so far, though.

How are updated graphics and sound?

Also, during the battles is the stats screen on the top screen in 3D?

chickdigger802 said:

Also would love for someone to check out 'easy mode'. I do hope it ain't dumb easy like Bayonetta or something.

All of the lines I've seen have had VO, except when the demons speak. I was surprised.

I'm actually trying out easy mode - leveling up happens much quicker. I'm not far enough into it to give a solid opinion on it, though.

SpaceBridge said:
How are updated graphics and sound?

Also, during the battles is the stats screen on the top screen in 3D?

Battle sprites look cleaner - a nice upgrade. The portraits during story sequences look great, very high-res.

Battle stats are 2D :(

DrAndonuts said:
All of the lines I've seen have had VO, except when the demons speak. I was surprised.

I'm actually trying out easy mode - leveling up happens much quicker. I'm not far enough into it to give a solid opinion on it, though.

Battle sprites look cleaner - a nice upgrade. The portraits during story sequences look great, very high-res.

Battle stats are 2D :(

How about the backgrounds of the battle maps?
Argh @ no 3D stats screen. What about the overworld city map?

Thanks for the early impressions though.

SpaceBridge said:
How about the backgrounds of the battle maps?
Argh @ no 3D stats screen. What about the overworld city map?

Thanks for the early impressions though.

Battle maps look solid, too. Nothing mindblowing, but the higher resolution is a nice improvement over the DS version.

Overworld city map is in 2D, too.

DrAndonuts said:
Battle maps look solid, too. Nothing mindblowing, but the higher resolution is a nice improvement over the DS version.

Overworld city map is in 2D, too.

I assume you've played the original? Would you say this was worth $40?

DrAndonuts said:

Is the opening video the same as the original? Or is it at least the same song? I really liked it for some reason.

SpaceBridge said:
I assume you've played the original? Would you say this was worth $40?

I mean, I only played through the original once, and that was back in 2009. I wanted to play through it again anyway before DS2 comes out, so I think it was worth it for me. If you played the first to death, I'd pick this up for $30 - the voice acting is the main selling point, and it's been pretty solid so far. I was really surprised to see that every line of dialogue has a VO.

SolarKnight said:
Is the opening video the same as the original? Or is it at least the same song? I really liked it for some reason.

To be honest, I don't remember the opening video in the original. The new one looks pretty spiffy in 3D, though.

DrAndonuts said:
I mean, I only played through the original once, and that was back in 2009. I wanted to play through it again anyway before DS2 comes out, so I think it was worth it for me. If you played the first to death, I'd pick this up for $30 - the voice acting is the main selling point, and it's been pretty solid so far. I was really surprised to see that every line of dialogue has a VO.

Well I never finished the DS version, cuz I hit a wall, and then the 3ds version was announced. But now with the new 8th day, Im sold already. But since you confirmed that the graphics look alot better and crisper, and that the VA is really good, then that makes my preorder justified.

phillax

Banned
DrAndonuts said:
Can you please show some picks show some picks of the box and instruction guide?

cj_iwakura

chickdigger802 said:

It's not 'every single line', since demon chatter isn't voiced after fusion.

Can anyone confirm if the story event demons are voiced, such as Wendigo, Jack Frost, and Pixie? That should be interesting.

ShockingAlberto said:
Just ordered from Amazon, I am weak-willed. First time I basically own two versions of a game I never even really finished the first time around.
I'm in the same boat. I have the original but only played a few hours, succumbing to a huge DS backlog that I quickly amassed buying every game I could because I was playing catch up. Picking up games before they became hard to find, a trait Atlus games definitely share with other Nintendo/DS titles.

But because this is Atlus, I have to buy this game. I just have to.

edit: The first game's manual was huge too, also being printed in English and French. It was in color, so this one will likely be as well.

cj_iwakura

I would if I owned a 3DS, but fortunately, I don't.

Here's hoping they can get back to licensing some new titles after Innocent Sin drops.

phillax said:
Is it in color?
He said it was in the post you quoted, so...

I'm pretty excited for this. Just hope the Target across the street has it, if not I'll probably just wait until Bit.Trip.Saga comes out and order them both off Amazon.

phillax

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
He said it was in the post you quoted, so...

I'm pretty excited for this. Just hope the Target across the street has it, if not I'll probably just wait until Bit.Trip.Saga comes out and order them both off Amazon.
Sorry didn't notice the sentence above the pic.

Yeah, you have a point there. I didn't feel the need to run out and get Catherine. In fact, I doubt I ever will. Block puzzles don't sound appealing to me at all.

Obsessed said:
Yeah, don't put any STR in the MC at all. STR is borderline useless in the game. Magic gives you magic attack power and magic defense. Vitality gives you physical defense. Agility gives you speed. Strength... just makes your physical attacks hit harder and even by midgame you'll rarely if ever use a physical attack.

I actually made a STR-based MC in this game. It worked out pretty okay since it meant I had a strong physical attacker for the few situations where it's relevant and because you get plenty of awesome magic users in other characters but having a decent physical character pretty much requires a custom stat build.

(But yes, probably not the ideal strategy by any means.)

Kevtones

DidntKnowJack said:
Yeah, you have a point there. I didn't feel the need to run out and get Catherine. In fact, I doubt I ever will. Block puzzles don't sound appealing to me at all.

The logic behind the puzzles is fine but the constraints/design around them is pretty terrible. The aesthetics are lovely but its a really poorly put together game with some lovely allegorical flourishes.

SMT/press-turn-ing games just do it for me.

NichM

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Can anyone confirm if the story event demons are voiced, such as Wendigo, Jack Frost, and Pixie? That should be interesting.

They are not. (And they won't be in the Japanese version either AFAIK.)

NichM

Banned
Probably. I wouldn't have told anyone, "Better jump on Catherine because who knows if you'll be able to find a copy in a month." DSO, though...

Everyone I appreciate your replies to what I said. I still believe its bad game design to give a player a mc build choice which could backfire in their face. It only happened to me towards the end of my first playthrough anyway. After that and the new game plus bonuses it wasn't an issue. Hell I might just play the same way again to see for kicks.

Volcynika

Urban Scholar said:
Everyone I appreciate your replies to what I said. I still believe its bad game design to give a player a mc build choice which could backfire in their face. It only happened to me towards the end of my first playthrough anyway. After that and the new game plus bonuses it wasn't an issue. Hell I might just play the same way again to see for kicks.

Yeah the "free to do what you want.......but you shouldn't go down this path!" can be annoying.

Volcynika

Easy mode is just more macca/experience in battles. So enemies themselves don't become harder/easier (obviously they can be if you're a higher level when you fight them!).

dr3upmushroom said:
How come Andonuts' receipt says $30? Amazon says $40, is it cheaper at some stores or in some territories?

I used a Power Up Rewards coupon I had - $10 off any Gamestop purchase.

GeekyDad

Volcynika said:
Easy mode is just more macca/experience in battles. So enemies themselves don't become harder/easier (obviously they can be if you're a higher level when you fight them!).

That's really all I care about. I really enjoyed the game on DS, but it was very grind-heavy, in my opinion. With that sort of approach to an SRPG/RPG hybrid, it can get very tedious/repetitious, especially when you only have a very small selection of areas to battle in.

Volcynika said:

Never played this game before. Is there multiple difficulties with 'benefits' ie: bonus boss fights, monsters, gear?

charlequin said:
I actually made a STR-based MC in this game. It worked out pretty okay since it meant I had a strong physical attacker for the few situations where it's relevant and because you get plenty of awesome magic users in other characters but having a decent physical character pretty much requires a custom stat build.

(But yes, probably not the ideal strategy by any means.)

It works out ok for the beginning of the game. But at the endgame you're seriously going to have a lot more trouble than if you just went with a MAG build.

With a proper skill set you can work around some of the barriers the game throws at physical users, but even then you are worse off than if you had invested in magic. Magic gives you the dances, holy element skills, and drain.

What they should have done was give certain elemental attacks the ability to do damage based on STR. Instead you are locked into a single element, one that is very often resisted, nullified, or reflected.

There is only one fight that requires you to make use of STR, and even with the lowest STR possible you can still easily win if you know how to approach the situation. Hint: For that battle leave the middle demon standing in each group. You'll understand this when the time comes.

Ricker

Aaargh,forgot to pre-order this and no one will get any copy(Gamestop anyway up here in the Montreal area)because guess what,no one pre-ordered...hopefully Future Shop or Best Buy get a few copies in tomorrow.

Woah, the comment from Atlus in the video mentioned story branches. Does this mean the 8th day is different depending on which 7th day ending you get? If so this game got even better. I wonder if there are also different endings for the 8th day. I may have to do each 7th day ending at least twice.

NichM

Banned
Obsessed said:
Woah, the comment from Atlus in the video mentioned story branches. Does this mean the 8th day is different depending on which 7th day ending you get? If so this game got even better. I wonder if there are also different endings for the 8th day. I may have to do each 7th day ending at least twice.

Yeah, each 8th day is at least as long as a normal game day and has as much story content.

Top Bottom