• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

sfried

Grabbing this tomorrow. Never played the original Devil Survivor. Glad I am now, since I liked Strange Jounrey (but never finished it...yet).

Next up Nich, I want Etrian Odyssey 3D or Clash of Heroes 3D.

Volcynika

sfried said:
Grabbing this tomorrow. Never played the original Devil Survivor. Glad I am now, since I liked Strange Jounrey (but never finished it...yet).

Next up Nich, I want Etrian Odyssey 3D or Clash of Heroes 3D.

Class of Heroes! (Funny since Clash of Heroes is a completely different game) :p

Ricker

Gamestop where I went to pick up Deus Ex had 2 copies so I grabbed one,never played the original so i`m looking forward to it....going to start on easy and see how it goes.

Ricker

Besides the opening cinema,there is nothing in 3D,after the first 30 minutes anyway, so far...looks like it will be great though on the bottom screen,graphics are nice and crisp and the voice acting is quite good also.

Cheska

Yay picked up my copy! They barely had any in, so I'm really thinking this is going to be another Radiant Historia.

depward

NichM said:
Well, as you may have read, even Nintendo is considering 3DS games that don't employ 3D graphics. We're just ahead of the curve.

I get your point, but if you investigate Iwata's comment further:

"Instead, other features of the Nintendo 3DS should be focused on. It might be a communication feature, or other functions (such as the gyro sensor or the motion sensor). The important thing is that each respective software title has its own characteristics, and appeals to the consumers in a way that fits the software."

Is there StreetPass functionality? SpotPass DLC? Any AR or gyro sensor functionality?

I love Atlus to death - been a supporter for many years - but I don't find much compelling to pick this title up if there is hardly any 3D in it. Yeah, I get an extra chapter... and some more voice acting... but why shouldn't I pick up the DS version for $10 less?

bryehn

My local store had at least 10 copies, I was surprised. Only played the first day of the original. Gave it up when this version was announced. Don't particularly care bout 3D, but it'd have suited this game well.

NichM

Banned
depward said:
I love Atlus to death - been a supporter for many years - but I don't find much compelling to pick this title up if there is hardly any 3D in it. Yeah, I get an extra chapter... and some more voice acting... but why shouldn't I pick up the DS version for $10 less?

-Actually 3 extra chapters, since there are 3 separate 8th Days on different routes, so this is a not insignificant amount of new content
-Added demons
-New Demon Compendium
-Not just "some more" voice acting, but new VA for every story sequence in the game
-Crisper graphics
-New achievement-style Titles and Reward system for NG+ bonuses
-Gameplay enhancements like sped-up movement during battles

Speaking purely for myself, weighing all that against "no 3D" still puts this one pretty far ahead. YMMV of course.

NichM said:
-Actually 3 extra chapters, since there are 3 separate 8th Days on different routes, so this is a not insignificant amount of new content
-Added demons
-New Demon Compendium
-Not just "some more" voice acting, but new VA for every story sequence in the game
-Crisper graphics

Speaking purely for myself, weighing all that against "no 3D" still puts this one pretty far ahead. YMMV of course.

Hmm. As usual with SMT games, I'm worried that I won't be able to find it in a few weeks. Although I did find Strange journey for $20 without any problem.

7Th

NichM said:

Which ones are the routes that get the 8th Day?

7Th said:
Huh? Those are really weird choices...

Not really
Those are the only ones I think that have something worth watching due to their effects. A day after being the messiah sure, a day after raging against god sure and a day after running away? ok

Also I love the 3DS start up screen for this game <3 Atlus.

NichM said:
-Added demons
-New Demon Compendium
-Crisper graphics

I would also add more save slots to that list.

Also, aren't there new skills as well, or I am remembering wrong.

Aeana

NichM said:
-Added demons
-New Demon Compendium
-Crisper graphics

Wait, what? Really? omg
With the ability to register/summon and stuff too?

NichM

Banned
Aeana said:
Wait, what? Really? omg
With the ability to register/summon and stuff too?

Yeah, and demon profile blurbs.

RPG_Fanatic said:
I would also add more save slots to that list.

Also, aren't there new skills as well, or I am remembering wrong.

I figured I would probably forget some things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That voice acting is... well, very Atlus US-ey. I guess you just have to accept that girls in Tokyo are American valley girls or something.

Volcynika

About half an hour till I can go get my copy. Will be alternating between that, 3rd Strike Online, and watching that Rock of Ages dealy tonight.

EDIT: Gonna look for more reviews tonight, hopefully some are out by now.

Volcynika said:
About half an hour till I can go get my copy. Will be alternating between that, 3rd Strike Online, and watching that Rock of Ages dealy tonight.

EDIT: Gonna look for more reviews tonight, hopefully some are out by now.

just read up ds reviews. It is the same base game with more features.

graywolf323

my copy got delivered :-D

now to find time to play it with college having started and Deus Ex: Human Revolution having come out as well

kiryogi

Banned
Loading up now. Cute little Jack Frost sound when you put it into the system. Intro is super nice in 3D. A damn shame the rest of the game isn't. It's clean though :eek:

Volcynika

No Deus Ex for me today :( But I got my copy!

wGyIy.jpg

I got the last copy at the GameStop down the street. Didn't ask how many they got in so I'm not sure how big a deal that is. Unfortunately that means I got the gutted store display copy, which sort of sucks, but at least it just came out today so it's not like the box has been sitting out for days and the employees have taken the game home.

I've kind of of two minds about whether I'm going to look at this thread anymore while playing the game. I typically go for a high strength and defense tank type with my main character in RPGs if I have the choice, so I'm kind of glad that I read that doing that would have screwed me, but on the other hand it kind of sucks not playing the way I want to.

And now I'm reading that you aren't guaranteed the extra content at the end, which I had no idea of. I really don't want to have to play the game with a FAQ to make sure I get to see the Eighth Day.

It is cool that there's three different versions of the Eighth Day, which I also didn't know (although I'm guessing that that means that they're each pretty shorty), but it would have been nice if you were guaranteed one. Granted, having not played the game I have no idea what the story is like and it sounds like it makes sense that only some choices give you the end-game content. Still, it's going to suck playing through the game making the choices I would normally and hoping that I get lucky.

NichM

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Still, it's going to suck playing through the game making the choices I would normally and hoping that I get lucky.

It's not as bad as you'd think. (Mechanics spoilers past here, no plot ones.)
There is a NG+ mode that helps subsequent playthroughs go really quick in case you get one of the endings that has no 8th day, or even if you get one that does and want to see the other paths through the endgame.

First 10 minutes impressions: Is it just me, but the music playing during custscenes is so low and tinny, I can barely hear anything playing in the background, even when accessing the COMPS' menus. So weird. On the upside, the VA is pretty loud and audible, and not half bad. Yuzu's voice actress is so faimiliar too.

UberTag

DoctorWho said:
Hmm. As usual with SMT games, I'm worried that I won't be able to find it in a few weeks. Although I did find Strange journey for $20 without any problem.
Given the low install base for the 3DS, I suspect this title will become scarce QUICK. I neglected to preorder and dashed off to my local Gamestop tonight after hearing they had copies in already (was not expecting them to have it available until Thursday or Friday). Picked up their last copy. Sold out in less than a day.

I suspect Gamestop.com and Amazon will carry stock for a bit but if you're looking at local brick & mortar don't expect it to last long at all.

Ricker

SpaceBridge said:
First 10 minutes impressions: Is it just me, but the music playing during custscenes is so low and tinny, I can barely hear anything playing in the background, even when accessing the COMPS' menus. So weird. On the upside, the VA is pretty loud and audible, and not half bad. Yuzu's voice actress is so faimiliar too.

You mean YooHoo lol ;) :p

I wanted to wait a little but I went ahead and bought one. I think I accidentally got the clerk girl interested in it after the clerk dood said "oh he's the guy that comes in for the wierd games"... bastard

SpiderJerusalem said:
I wanted to wait a little but I went ahead and bought one. I think I accidentally got the clerk girl interested in it after the clerk dood said "oh he's the guy that comes in for the wierd games"... bastard

Youre not weird, you have good taste. Next time, you should go in and chat up the girl about all things SMT.

I played up until the First Day.

I'm pretty excited, I knew that you moved around a grid and that when you attacked monsters you went into a normal battle, but I didn't know that you could use magic and heal and stuff on the grid.

I also thought that you could summon demons and have them run around on their own. Maybe that's coming later, but so far I'm stuck having everyone having their demons fighting with them.

The graphics look really clean so far everywhere except in battles. I've only done the first two so maybe some sprites look better than others, but both times I went into battles everything went from looking really nice and high-res to "Wow, these enemies are definitely from a DS game."

The story seems like it'll be alright so far. The Death Clocks are a pretty cool idea, I though it was neat how (spoilers for beginning Day 1)
The army/police guy didn't have a number since they are apparently in on the whole "Demons attack Japan" thing. When the civilian who demands to be let on the train or whatever pops up with a 6, it's pretty creepy.

I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but it'd be cool if you could do missions to raise the number and then had to plan out your actions based on it. For example, you could do a few missions stopping the emails' predictions, get your number up to 3 or 4, and then use a few days to explore or grind or whatever and not have to worry about it. You'd have to find a balance between keeping your Death Clock at a safe number and doing other stuff.

Obviously if the game is only a week there's a limit on how much you can play with it, but I really like the idea, and it'd be cool if they use it more in the sequel or even incorporate it into the next Persona or something.

The sound, the sound. Please, anyone confirm the music levels are odd during cuscenes? I wanna make sure that its not my 3DS or my game.

dr3upmushroom said:
but so far I'm stuck having everyone having their demons fighting with them.

That's how it works and how it'll be for all the game.

I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but it'd be cool if you could do missions to raise the number and then had to plan out your actions based on it. For example, you could do a few missions stopping the emails' predictions, get your number up to 3 or 4, and then use a few days to explore or grind or whatever and not have to worry about it. You'd have to find a balance between keeping your Death Clock at a safe number and doing other stuff.

Grinding doesn't use up your time at all though, so that's unnecessary. As for why you can't "grind" to up your Death Clock...you'll see.

Ricker

SpaceBridge said:
LOL. Yes Yoohoo. Were calling her that during summer school too.

Seriously though, can anyone else confirm that the level of sound for the music is low?

Yeah,it`s definetly a little lower when you have the character portraits and they are talking but it doesn`t bother me that much.

SolarKnight said:
That's how it works and how it'll be for all the game.

Welp, that's a little disappointing.
SolarKnight said:
Grinding doesn't use up your time at all though, so that's unnecessary. As for why you can't "grind" to up your Death Clock...you'll see.
Yeah, I figured that that would be the case, I just think it'd be cool if they let you up the number and allowed you to do some events that would take a full day, so that you'd have to manage your Clock number.

cj_iwakura

Strange Journey had the main reason I preferred it to DS: compendium!

Shame that was probably the end of new core SMT games, since no one bought it.

Huff

Banned
Waiting for my student loan money to clear, then I'm going to pick this up. Not that I have the time to start a new SMT game with my schedule, but I'll try.

BroHuffman said:
Waiting for my student loan money to clear, then I'm going to pick this up. Not that I have the time to start a new SMT game with my schedule, but I'll try.

LOL, to better your education incase of a demon invasion.

cj_iwakura said:
Strange Journey had the main reason I preferred it to DS: compendium!

Shame that was probably the end of new core SMT games, since no one bought it.
Well, that's what they get for not calling it SMTIV.
Oh god, what have I done.

Actually, didn't it do fairly well in Japan? Not Persona "well", of course.

Top Bottom