• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Spanish Wrath said:
So, there is not a single chance that us (eurogaf) will be getting this?

I think there is a chance. Recent Persona titles have made it, Catherine is coming, we are seeing more Atlus titles in PAL-land. I'm just happy I have a US console, because there will be some games that end up like Trauma Team and never make it.

This is bullshit. I live in the UK, and as soon as I heard they were remaking this, I decided not to import the DS version in the hope that this might make it over here. But it looks like we won't get this either.

I hope somebody figures out how to crack the fucking stupid region locking bullshit on the 3DS soon.

I don't know why Atlus can't just set up a European branch already.

Cheska said:
Owned the original but never got around to playing it. How's the story in the game? Is it even a story driven game or is it's shining point gameplay?

Yes it's a story driven game. The gameplay is good too though. And the music.

Volcynika

Pureauthor said:
I just wanted to chime in and say that that is some awful cover art.

We are totally not friends! :(

Also, fun fact, Devil Survivor's original release had no pre-order bonus either. Par for the course! D:

And Europe does have a chance of seeing it, it's just no one's said anything about it. Ghostlight has said they've seen people wanting it, but that's about it.

MechaX

charlequin said:
Devil Survivor is harder overall than Strange Journey, but nothing in DevSur comes even remotely close to the cavalcade of bullshit that is SJ's final boss.

It's super-great and totally worth it though! Plus it has an easy mode or whatevs now.

I felt that Strange Journey had the harder bosses on average than Devil Survivor, especially once you realized that a magic protagonist build + elemental dance spells can essentially break a vast majority of the game. But I would say that the last three bosses in the Neutral Route in Strange Journey by far eclipse anything in Devil Survivor (and I think they are pretty badly designed bosses, but that's a discussion for another day).

I'm also hoping that this 8th Day is pretty substantial, but my gut feeling that it's just a short "Buy the sequel, coming soon!" kind of scenario.

cj_iwakura

I think SJ is harder, but with a smoother difficulty curve. DS goes from easy to absolute insane then back to easy.

SJ has better atmosphere, DS has a better(re: more focused) story. SJ has a good core plot, but it flounders way too much, and I'm more than a little sick of
Lucifer
being used as a random cameo with no real impact to the plot.

And I had no idea Growlanser staff were involved, color me surprised.

That explains why the SRPG format is so well done. :p

MechaX said:
I felt that Strange Journey had the harder bosses on average than Devil Survivor, especially once you realized that a magic protagonist build + elemental dance spells can essentially break a vast majority of the game. But I would say that the last three bosses in the Neutral Route in Strange Journey by far eclipse anything in Devil Survivor (and I think they are pretty badly designed bosses, but that's a discussion for another day).

I'm also hoping that this 8th Day is pretty substantial, but my gut feeling that it's just a short "Buy the sequel, coming soon!" kind of scenario.

Iirc a large percentage of the voice clips are for the 8th day. It should be massive.

I never got the original, but I have this preordered. Cannot decide whether to keep my copy since I don't get to play my 3DS much, but videos of this game look great. I'll probably keep it since I really like JRPGs.

MooMoo

I never got the original and I see people commenting on how hard this game is. Is it really that hard? The only other Atlus game I've ever played are the EO series, which to be honest I never beat a single one of them (got to the last stratum in each game but I just couldn't push myself to the finish line). So if someone could compare the difficulty to the EO games that would be great.

Kevtones

SpaceBridge said:
Really? So its true then. Will check out my local GS tomorrow.

Yeah, Bixby Knolls location in Long Beach had it. Behind the counter and gutted on the shelf. I usually get a text message when my pre-order is in so I was a little confused to see it on the shelf...

sfried

SpaceBridge said:
So, anyone get this early. Some posters on Gamespot forums are reporting that some Gamestops have this out early.
My GameSpot said on the 23rd, so I'm going to pick it up before I leave abroad.

Obsessed said:
Iirc a large percentage of the voice clips are for the 8th day. It should be massive.

Bloody... Game doesn't come out here(Japan) till the 1st for some reason! I can gather 1% of the anger that my European breathens possess.

I was under the impression the entire game was being fully voiced? Is this not the case?

Cheska

Strange, I recall when I worked at Gamestop years ago that the computer would not let us sell a game this early.

Volcynika

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Bloody... Game doesn't come out here(Japan) till the 1st for some reason! I can gather 1% of the anger that my European breathens possess.

I was under the impression the entire game was being fully voiced? Is this not the case?

They've advertised it as being fully voiced, I think.

Even in the announcement PR, at least

"voice acting for the entirety of the game's lengthy, unconventional narrative"

Might actually give 'easy mode' a try. Not really the biggest expert at srpg stuff but I enjoy the occasional game here or there.

I do hope it doesn't 'lock' too much stuff out.

Busy with school and life and what not and would like a frustration free game.

(Just finished up Trials in the Sky, best classic jrpg of this generation easily, working on xenogears lol).

fallagin

MooMoo said:
I never got the original and I see people commenting on how hard this game is. Is it really that hard? The only other Atlus game I've ever played are the EO series, which to be honest I never beat a single one of them (got to the last stratum in each game but I just couldn't push myself to the finish line). So if someone could compare the difficulty to the EO games that would be great.

I feel that it is much easier than th etrian oddyssey games. There really isn't all that slogging around you have to do in EO, and the enemies are never much trouble as long as you fuse the right demons to use.

MooMoo

fallagin said:
I feel that it is much easier than th etrian oddyssey games. There really isn't all that slogging around you have to do in EO, and the enemies are never much trouble as long as you fuse the right demons to use.
Thanks, sounds good to me! I know the DS version got some pretty good praise so I'm excited for this revision, especially for the extra 8th day. If I could this would be a day one purchase but I'll have to settle for picking up this game when I get the chance. Wonder what else Atlus has in store for the 3DS, if anything at all.

Just ordered from Amazon, I am weak-willed. First time I basically own two versions of a game I never even really finished the first time around.

Though now I'll know to wait for DS2:Overclocked before jumping in on that one.

ShockingAlberto said:
Just ordered from Amazon, I am weak-willed. First time I basically own two versions of a game I never even really finished the first time around.

Excellent....

kiryogi

Banned
Cheska said:
Strange, I recall when I worked at Gamestop years ago that the computer would not let us sell a game this early.
If the game isn't streetdated there's no issue selling it early, which I imagine is most likely the case considering it's an Atlus release. Only major releases get the strict street date. I'll check my Gamestop tommorow as well.

Gvaz

Banned
I loved this game on the DS but, I have no 3DS and no desire to rebuy a remake for a game I've already completed :(

MooMoo said:

It is very hard the first playthrough, or at least boss battles are. Boss battles are outrageously unfair at times. It takes a lot of careful planning because you will not win a Boss battle with brute force. You need to know what kinds of attacks they use and learn how to prevent them from getting extra turns.

After your initial playthrough the game is a cakewalk though. The anti-grinding features are removed, you get to keep all your powerful endgame demons in NG+, and you get to keep the powerful endgame skill you unlock.

If you really are struggling there is a way to get rid of the anti-grinding features early. It will still be a challenge, just much less so from what I hear.

What you would need to do is
do Yuzu's route.
It is considered the easiest route in the game. Once you complete a single ending you should have no trouble on subsequent playthroughs when getting the other endings.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Exactly. The game is fully voiced, and yet the majority (or at least 40% IIRC) of the voice clips are for the 8th day. 8th day should be massive.

Obsessed said:
It is very hard the first playthrough, or at least boss battles are. Boss battles are outrageously unfair at times. It takes a lot of careful planning because you will not win a Boss battle with brute force. You need to know what kinds of attacks they use and learn how to prevent them from getting extra turns.
Strategy in a strategy game is "outrageously unfair". You can't make this stuff up.

Crazetex

The dialogue and teenager art is so annoying, but I loved the original's story and gameplay. The higher resolution looks so great... I'm pretty jealous.

Also, the box art is terrific.

atomsk

Party Pooper
SpaceBridge said:
So, anyone get this early. Some posters on Gamespot forums are reporting that some Gamestops have this out early.

Well shit, I'm waiting on gamefly since I've got extra coupons I need to use, and they're saying it's not shipping till the 25th.

Kazerei

Banned
Devil Survivor is the perfect level of challenge IMO. You can't just grind, you're forced to crack skills and to strengthen and fuse your demons in order to succeed. The extra macca and exp in easy mode will help, but you still can't totally ignore fusion.

Kazerei said:
Devil Survivor is the perfect level of challenge IMO. You can't just grind, you're forced to crack skills and to strengthen and fuse your demons in order to succeed. The extra macca and exp in easy mode will help, but you still can't totally ignore fusion.

I have my reservations on that really. Out of all the SMT games I've played having a fairly balanced MC kept biting my in the rear with this one. I of course visit the forums and I'm told I was playing it wrong? I still found the amount of grinding highly unwelcomed.

graywolf323

ugh why won't Amazon put my copy in shipping soon status already? I have release-date delivery

ShockingAlberto said:

I own three versions of Persona 3 >_<

Kazerei

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I have my reservations on that really. Out of all the SMT games I've played having a fairly balanced MC kept biting my in the rear with this one. I of course visit the forums and I'm told I was playing it wrong? I still found the amount of grinding highly unwelcomed.

I find it better to focus on an RPG archetype (physical attacker, magical attacker, defensive tank, etc.), rather than trying to be balanced. Even though MCs are generally given more stat points than other characters, it's not enough to become great at everything.

Kazerei said:
I find it better to focus on an RPG archetype (physical attacker, magical attacker, defensive tank, etc.), rather than trying to be balanced. Even though MCs are generally given more stat points than other characters, it's not enough to become great at everything.

I understand that but if a player is given the option to put stats wherever they want why is my balance build a negative? Again it was just this game(DS) I found that to be a knock against. I still was able to complete it but it was much harder.

Kazerei

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
I understand that but if a player is given the option to put stats wherever they want why is my balance build a negative? Again it was just this game(DS) I found that to be a knock against. I still was able to complete it but it was much harder.

Because the balance build is not a good strategy? :\

I think in most RPGs you'll find it better to focus your build, rather than have no focus at all.

Cheska

:sigh: Called my Gamestop but they can't sell it to me until Tuesday :( This is just another sign I should finish Zelda before starting this.

Cheska said:
:sigh: Called my Gamestop but they can't sell it to me until Tuesday :( This is just another sign I should finish Zelda before starting this.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Went back to the counter today with the FOR SALE copy of Overclocked and they refused to sell it to me...

So like mentioned before it's street dated then

Cheska

Urban Scholar said:
So like mentioned before it's street dated then

Yeah, I really didn't think it would allow them to sell it. I tried buying stuff before when I worked there, and you couldn't really bypass it unless you lied about the count numbers or something, which is not ethical so no one did it.

Oh well, only two days.

MooMoo

Obsessed said:

After your initial playthrough the game is a cakewalk though. The anti-grinding features are removed, you get to keep all your powerful endgame demons in NG+, and you get to keep the powerful endgame skill you unlock.

If you really are struggling there is a way to get rid of the anti-grinding features early. It will still be a challenge, just much less so from what I hear.

What you would need to do is
do Yuzu's route.
It is considered the easiest route in the game. Once you complete a single ending you should have no trouble on subsequent playthroughs when getting the other endings.

Exactly. The game is fully voiced, and yet the majority (or at least 40% IIRC) of the voice clips are for the 8th day. 8th day should be massive.
Ah, gotcha. Not sure how accurate it is, but your description sounds similar to the EO games in that if you want the end/post-game to be relatively easy you have to start abusing the system. It's not the perfect analogy, but based on your description I think I should hold fine playing this game. Really interested to see what exactly is in the 8th day.

GeekyDad

ShockingAlberto said:

You've basically set in motion a chain of events that will never end. It only gets worse from here.

But it's a good game to invest in. I played the DS version, too, and I guess I'll Gamefly this, since there's still not a whole hell of lot to choose from. Fool with it a bit before trading it in for Star Fox.

mjemirzian said:
Strategy in a strategy game is "outrageously unfair". You can't make this stuff up.

Yeah perhaps I should have clarified. If you don't develop a strategy for each boss you will be outright massacred. If you do develop a strategy you will still find a significant challenge.

Urban Scholar said:

Yeah, don't put any STR in the MC at all. STR is borderline useless in the game. Magic gives you magic attack power and magic defense. Vitality gives you physical defense. Agility gives you speed. Strength... just makes your physical attacks hit harder and even by midgame you'll rarely if ever use a physical attack.

You get 4 characters in the party. 3 of them should be magic users, with one physical attacker. The physical attacker is generally only in the party because there aren't enough magic skills to split between 4 characters unless you want to overspecialize everyone in a single element.

Key things to keep in mind:

Dances are broken. Seriously USE THEM.
Status effects aren't useless... initially. It may be worth gambling with them in the beginning.
Drain is broken. Get the skill on as many demons as possible.
Physical attacks/skills generally suck ass.

Obsessed said:
Yeah perhaps I should have clarified. If you don't develop a strategy for each boss you will be outright massacred. If you do develop a strategy you will still find a significant challenge.

Yeah, don't put any STR in the MC at all. STR is borderline useless in the game. Magic gives you magic attack power and magic defense. Vitality gives you physical defense. Agility gives you speed. Strength... just makes your physical attacks hit harder and even by midgame you'll rarely if ever use a physical attack.

You get 4 characters in the party. 3 of them should be magic users, with one physical attacker. The physical attacker is generally only in the party because there aren't enough magic skills to split between 4 characters unless you want to overspecialize everyone in a single element.

Key things to keep in mind:

Dances are broken. Seriously USE THEM.
Status effects aren't useless... initially. It may be worth gambling with them in the beginning.
Drain is broken. Get the skill on as many demons as possible.
Physical attacks/skills generally suck ass.

Thanks for the tips Obsessed. You'll be my go to guy to beat this.

SpaceBridge said:
Thanks for the tips Obsessed. You'll be my go to guy to beat this.

By the way, getting drain on all your demons is hard/annoying to accomplish. This is because the game stupidly doesn't give you any indication of some invisible progress bar that fills up and lets you copy a skill from a human character on to a demon. Save often though and you'll be able to plan for it.

Picked this up at Gamestop today. There's barely any 3D, except the opening video, and during the story sequences, the top screen is just black. The voice acting is surprisingly decent so far, though.

Top Bottom