• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

Rarutos

Nice OT! :)

I gave away my own DS Devil Survivor to a friend of mine just so I could justify picking this one up! Can't wait for the delicious voiced scenes.

fallagin

I'm just now playing through DS and the story is amazing. I'm actually hating myself right now because I forgot to
help miss mari defeat the vampire on the 5th day.
:(

I had it pre-ordered for $37.99 at amazon but cancelled it because the price is a bit too high for an enhanced port. Was hoping for some credit or pre-order bonus but none came. Will definitely buy during the fall buy one get two sale though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
God, I would buy this if it was $30. Never played the original, but $40 is a steep price for this game.

Looks like I'll be waiting a month or so.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Fantastical said:
God, I would buy this if it was $30. Never played the original, but $40 is a steep price for this game.

Looks like I'll be waiting a month or so.
Your loss man. One of the best RPGs of the generation.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is the only retail game I could find that I'm interested in playing for the 3DS anytime soon so I'm completely hyped for this game. Pre-ordered before I even heard about the fully voiced thing so even more hyped.

I think ill play easy mode first time through too.

Want to buy this to play at some point and support Atlus now, but I have a downright colossal backlog of handheld RPGs (including Tactics Ogre, which I haven't even started yet) and not so much money, so I may end up having to pass on this one.

Easy mode is for babies. Just get Drain on all your demons and the game becomes piss easy.

Ok maybe not piss easy since bosses will still wreck your shit. And those fucking starfish demons. THOSE FUCKING STARFISH DEMONS.

But thankfully New Game+ mode is easy as fuck once you have all the broken endgame demons.

IF any stores here finally stock a SMT game for once, I'll try to sacrifice as many games as I can to get trade-in credit to buy this. The only "SMT" game I've ever seen them stock is Persona. Not 3, 4, or 3P, just Persona =/

The fact it was listed in their magazine thing gives me hope, but I'm not gonna hold my breath...

Gentleman Jack said:
Besides saying you did, is there any benefit to playing it on normal/harder difficulties?

Yeah, a challenge.

I like a challenge in my RPG.

Actually, I dont think the extra Macca and XP will make that big a difference honestly. The bosses will still fuck your shit up if you don't take advantage of their weaknesses, and cover your own weaknesses.

Figure out how to get extra turns and deprive your enemy of extra turns (or prevent them from getting extra turns in the first place). That is basically the secret of the battle system. Until New Game+ that is and then you can just brute force everything including the final boss.
But the bonus boss can't be brute forced...

Also: DO NOT INVEST IN STR AT ALL AS THE MC. DO NOT INVEST IN STR.

Magic is plentiful and powerful. Physical attacks are scarce and shitty especially towards the endgame.

shadyspace said:
So the bottom screen that's the same resolution as the DS bottom screen? That blows.

Huh? Is this for real? I thought both screens had better resolutions than the original DS screens?

graywolf323

$40 feels a bit steep to me as well but it's the only game I really want on 3DS so I'm buying it

also Atlus has earned my hard earned cash

SpaceBridge said:
Huh? Is this for real? I thought both screens had better resolutions than the original DS screens?
Yeah, my bad. The DS touchscreen was 256 x 192 and the 3DS touchscreen is 320×240. Still, sucks that it's not on the way better top screen.

Obsessed said:
But thankfully New Game+ mode is easy as fuck once you have all the broken endgame demons.

This is my biggest sadness about this game. I'd actually be willing to pay for this game again to see the eighth day content, but I don't want to slog through the main game again without my overpowered NG+ party. :(

charlequin said:
This is my biggest sadness about this game. I'd actually be willing to pay for this game again to see the eighth day content, but I don't want to slog through the main game again without my overpowered NG+ party. :(

Spoilers about NG+ parties:

Did you manage to get Metatron with All Resist (or some variant)? I did and whatever he didn't nullify or reflect, he resisted. Made bosses a piece of cake by ensuring they'd never get an extra turn. Also Ameterasu was a god tier healer. Oh and Asura was amazing.

And I look forward to the challenge again. If you really don't want to deal with the challenge (or as much of a challenge) just do
Yuzu's route, the easiest route.
since after you clear the game once you remove the anti-grinding features.

cj_iwakura

It's a good story assigned to Atlus' second string devs, sadly. Mediocre artwork and decent-bad music. Would've been a masterpiece if Kaneko and Meguro had been involved, but it's just really good as it stands.

Obsessed said:
And I look forward to the challenge again. If you really don't want to deal with the challenge (or as much of a challenge) just do
Yuzu's route, the easiest route.
since after you clear the game once you remove the anti-grinding features.

It's not really the challenge, it's more the time. I spent a pretty long time on it and unlike most of the RPGs I enjoy replaying I don't honestly think I would approach my party build or most of the boss fights any differently a second time around.

I honestly don't remember what my final party was like in the DS version, just that I had some really stupid overpowered demons, lol. I'm sure I could (and occasionally still consider) go back and get the other endings very quickly.

cj_iwakura said:
It's a good story assigned to Atlus' second string devs, sadly. Mediocre artwork and decent-bad music. Would've been a masterpiece if Kaneko and Meguro had been involved, but it's just really good as it stands.

The music wasn't anything special, but I don't remember listening to anything I would mark as bad.

charlequin said:
It's not really the challenge, it's more the time. I spent a pretty long time on it and unlike most of the RPGs I enjoy replaying I don't honestly think I would approach my party build or most of the boss fights any differently a second time around.

I honestly don't remember what my final party was like in the DS version, just that I had some really stupid overpowered demons, lol. I'm sure I could (and occasionally still consider) go back and get the other endings very quickly.

Ah that I can understand. I personally don't remember how I tackled the bosses initially so I don't mind the time.

And you never got all the endings? Damn. You do know that
certain demons can only be unlocked by completing certain endings,
right?

Obsessed said:
And you never got all the endings? Damn. You do know that
certain demons can only be unlocked by completing certain endings,
right?

Oh, yeah. I had something else I wanted to play right away when I was done with it and I just never got around to going back. This thread is making me think I should though, hmm....

cj_iwakura said:
You consider your Shinjiro Takada second string? Some Growlanser fan. ;) I wish the Devil Survivor series had a better character designer, though. Soejima would be a better fit for the script than Kaneko. Of course either one would be better than Yasuda.

Just how hard is this game? I don't like slogging through easy RPGs, but all the talk about the difficulty is starting to get me worried. I'm guessing it's just exaggeration, but is really harder than other SMT games? If I got through Strange Journey, I'm guessing/hoping that I'll be able to make it through this, right?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for it, never played the original and I've loved every SMT I've played so far (just Personas 3 &4 and SJ, but still, consider all three some of my favorite games.) A lot of people talk about StarFox being the first title to end the 3DS drought, but this is it for me.

I've said this in other threads, but if I do end up liking this (and I don't have any reason to believe I won't), it's going to suck deciding whether to buy the sequel or see if they do another 3DS remake next year.

SpaceBridge said:
Should I preorder just incase my local stores dont carry copies or incase they sell out.
Related to this, Target and other stores like that will get this, right?

Devil Survivor is not my favorite SMT title but I like it enough to get Overclocked and to support Atlus. <3 you guys!

Erm...well need a 3DS first! :p

dr3upmushroom said:
Just how hard is this game? I don't like slogging through easy RPGs, but all the talk about the difficulty is starting to get me worried. I'm guessing it's just exaggeration, but is really harder than other SMT games? If I got through Strange Journey, I'm guessing/hoping that I'll be able to make it through this, right?
I would put the difficulty a little bit higher than Persona 3 & 4. I didn't play much of Strange Journey, so I can't compare the two. You should be fine.

ninj4junpei said:
I would put the difficulty a little bit higher than Persona 3 & 4. I didn't play much of Strange Journey, so I can't compare the two. You should be fine.

I played Strange Journey, but I found Devil Survivor easier. Then again, I got only as far as 3 or 4th day.

boiled goose

good with gravy
an excellent game.

challenging, decisions and action that HEAVILY impact story, great fun.

and not just that. a GREAT PORTABLE GAME.
The way the game is designed is perfect for on the go and short play sessions. the gameplay is deep yet the modular design is great for a handheld.

if u havent played it. GET IT.

SpaceBridge said:
I played Strange Journey, but I found Devil Survivor easier. Then again, I got only as far as 3 or 4th day.

lets just say the difficulty towards the end ramps up quite exponentially. :p

ninj4junpei said:

SpaceBridge said:
Alright cool. Strange Journey definitely wasn't an easy game, but so long as it's only a little tougher than P3&4 I think I'll really enjoy it.

dr3upmushroom said:
If I got through Strange Journey, I'm guessing/hoping that I'll be able to make it through this, right?

Devil Survivor is harder overall than Strange Journey, but nothing in DevSur comes even remotely close to the cavalcade of bullshit that is SJ's final boss.

It's super-great and totally worth it though! Plus it has an easy mode or whatevs now.

polyh3dron said:
I just preordered, but what the fucking fuck.... Gameplay on the bottom non-3D screen? REALLY ATLUS?
Yeah, this is a really weird decision. Personally I've never seen any big appeal in using the touch screen for RPGs, it's really not that much quicker. Having all the menus and demon-fusing stuff on the touch screen is nice, but they dropped the ball a bit putting the main gameplay down there.

charlequin said:
Devil Survivor is harder overall than Strange Journey, but nothing in DevSur comes even remotely close to the cavalcade of bullshit that is SJ's final boss.

It's super-great and totally worth it though! Plus it has an easy mode or whatevs now.
Well, that sounds pretty darn hard. I'm curious, are the battles themselves hard or is there difficulty in managing the SRPG aspect as well? Like, can you do pretty much whatever when you're moving around the grid as long as you're winning battle, or it there strategy there too?

dr3upmushroom said:
Well, that sounds pretty darn hard. I'm curious, are the battles themselves hard or is there difficulty in managing the SRPG aspect as well? Like, can you do pretty much whatever when you're moving around the grid as long as you're winning battle, or it there strategy there too?

By far the most challenge is in terms of movement on the grid; if you don't make aggressive use of your demons' movement abilities you get in the soup pretty quick.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This game gives me hope that not every game will decide to use the top screen as the main screen no matter what. My biggest worry was the touch screen going to waste after the 3D was announced.

Most non-boss fights are just generic filler where the best strat is to move forward as far as possible and spam your best attacks. if you've set up a decent team you can faceroll through everything except the boss fights. It's a relatively easy and simple game both in customization and combat.

Cheska

Owned the original but never got around to playing it. How's the story in the game? Is it even a story driven game or is it's shining point gameplay?

Top Bottom