• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct Weekly #159: PS5 Pro Ultra Boost Mode, Ghost of Tsushima PC Specs, Kingdom Come 2

onQ123

My random guesses about Ultra Boost is some type of multiplier for PS4/PS4 Pro Games , maybe 1080p "Up-rendered © " to 4K & 1440p - 4K games "Up-rendered © " to 6k - 8K .
Or PS5 games getting a driver level boost using the Dual Issue Compute or ML .

Not sure why none of this crossed DF's minds

Did I mention Up-render ? 😂

YCoCg

And for the non-hate boner audience, they stated that Ultra Boost mode wont be of help to games that have already locked settings like resolution or framerate, but it WILL be a benefit for games that use Dynamic Res Scaling or have unlocked framerates. If a game has a locked framerate and/or resolution in place then Ultra Boost wont do much and it'd be up to the developers to patch the games to take advantage of the extra hardware power offered by the PS5 Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

They're probably drawing from the last time Boost Mode was used on PS4 Pro.

It didn't really account for much other than a small GPU related boost in some games with fluctuating frame rates.

My random guesses about Ultra Boost is some type of multiplier for PS4/PS4 Pro Games , maybe 1080p "Up-rendered © " to 4K & 1440p - 4K games "Up-rendered © " to 6k - 8K .

Did I mention Up-render ? 😂

I'd be very surprised, albeit pleasantly if this mode applies to PS4 titles.

DF is currently walking a fine balance from their previous hate and disdain for the PS5 Pro to know acknowledging that it could be pretty good due to the reality that it's probably going to be pretty good. They hope people remember their more recent commentary rather than their original commentary. Especially when half their videos are going to be PS5 Pro vs PS5 comparison videos.

They're still somewhat downplaying it, but it'll becoming less and less the closer we get to it and the further we get from launch.

Even developers that they mentioned that don't plan on going back to patch games will probably end up patching games after the fact if games end up getting a nominal boost in sales from simple patches.

The other thing to remember is that a lot of these games already have higher res textures available from PC so it's not entirely unrealistic that they would put out a texture patch for some games for Pro modes. Same with with RTX. They've already done the work in some cases and they only have to patch it for one SKU and optimize around that one SKU. Some of the biggest expense will probably be QA work around ensuring there aren't bugs introduced.

They're also still peddling this idea that a number of games are CPU limited. Please name them...

Last edited:

onQ123

It didn't really account for much other than a small GPU related boost in some games with fluctuating frame rates.
And you think they will call it Ultra Boost this time around while running at a slightly lower clockrate vs the higher clockrate for PS4 Pro?

Lol clearly this isn't the same situation it's either about PS4 games getting a big boost or they will be using the upgrades on the hardware to boost PS5 games this can't be about using the higher clockrate like last time because there isn't a boost to the clockrate besides the small bump to the CPU.

DF: We don't know what Ultra Boost is but it's not going to do much

Lol
phil-spencer-digitalfoundry.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Boost mode for the PS4 was pretty cool. It helped several uncapped games run at a locked 60 fps thanks to the higher clocks for both CPU and GPU.

This time around, you are getting 10% higher clocks on the CPU instead of 30% so chance of something like dragons dogma 2 hitting 60 fps is unlikely. Maybe slightly more stable framerates for games that are currently CPU bound and struggle to hit 60 fps. No GPU clock boost is mentioned and its said that the clocks will now drop to 2.18 ghz from 2.23 ghz so a 1% performance hit is to be expected.

Again this is straight from Sony.

Boost Mode was not like this on the PS4 Pro. Why would this cross anyone's mind?

Sony themselves stated in the leaked docs that the devs would have to manually implement PSSR to the old PS5 games. No one said anything about PS4 pro or base PS4 games getting upgraded to 8k. The only thing they said was that you wont need to rebuild the game on the PS5 Pro sdk to get access to PSSR. but that would still require a patch from devs. It is not something the OS can do on its own.

your random guesses are a pipe dream. Their guess is at least an educated guess. Its possible that they are wrong but your guess is far more outlandish than theirs and far more mock worthy.

They made a good point about FSR3.1. It's going to improve the IQ, but at what performance cost? The main problem of FSR on consoles is that the quality setting is too expensive and devs have to use the worst settings (usually performance) in their games.

Boost mode for the PS4 was pretty cool. It helped several uncapped games run at a locked 60 fps thanks to the higher clocks for both CPU and GPU.

This time around, you are getting 10% higher clocks on the CPU instead of 30% so chance of something like dragons dogma 2 hitting 60 fps is unlikely. Maybe slightly more stable framerates for games that are currently CPU bound and struggle to hit 60 fps. No GPU clock boost is mentioned and its said that the clocks will now drop to 2.18 ghz from 2.23 ghz so a 1% performance hit is to be expected.

Boost Mode was not like this on the PS4 Pro. Why would this cross anyone's mind?

Sony themselves stated in the leaked docs that the devs would have to manually implement PSSR to the old PS5 games. No one said anything about PS4 pro or base PS4 games getting upgraded to 8k. The only thing they said was that you wont need to rebuild the game on the PS5 Pro sdk to get access to PSSR. but that would still require a patch from devs. It is not something the OS can do on its own.

your random guesses are a pipe dream. Their guess is at least an educated guess. Its possible that they are wrong but your guess is far more outlandish than theirs and far more mock worthy.
We don't know what this ultra boost mode means. With only 36CUs to power they could end up boosting the clocks (both CPU and GPU) similarly to the PS4 Pro boost. I think here the limit will be what the silicon can sustain. On native PS5 Pro mode they have to power 60CUs, but with only 36CUs the clocks could be significantly boosted. And do not forget the ~30% bandwidth boost that could also help many games.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see forced VRR mode + ultra boost.

Also they conflate so much. It's one thing for console fanboys on a forum to confuse causation and correlation, but for so-called experts to do it is beyond the pale.

Helldivers 2 being successful day and date doesn't mean say Rift Apart would have been. Single player games just aren't inherently as popular on PC and I do think you run some risk of crossover if you decide to put EVERY single player title on PS5 on PC on Day 1.

Comparing the success of Horizon and Rift apart is particularly misleading. Yes, there was some element of novelty, but the games are in entirely different classes. There was over 3 years between the release of Horizon on PS4 and on PC. God of War was also really successful on PC as was Spider-Man. Does anyone think Rift Apart or Sackboy Adventure was going to have the same level of success.

Then you also have to look at who actually did the port. All the ports Alex complains about weren't done by Nixxes.

I fully expect any multiplayer titles from Sony to release on PC day 1. It makes sense to do so.

A remake like Until Dawn also makes sense to release on PC day 1, especially since Horror has an audience on PC. Dragon's Dogma 2 is more of an RPG than say Horizon. That has an audience on PC. Certainly more so than Rise of the Ronin or Stellar Blade.

A lot of people thought Returnal would sell well on PC and it didn't, part of that was probably the price. The lowest it has been is 40 dollars officially. So maybe Returnal will have its own run at a price of 5-10 dollars. Maybe they'll do a movie starring Sigourney Weaver or Jennifer Lawrence or Amy Adams as Selene and if they plan that, they'll keep the price up so it's not a Fallout situation if it performs well. Sony is experimenting right now to get datapoints to form a strategy.

onQ123

And what happened every time my post were mocked?

onQ123

None of us know anything at this point.

The damn console hasn't even been officially announced yet ..
Lol

But do you think they will call it Ultra Boost while doing the same thing they did with PS4 Pro while having a slightly lower clocked GPU?

adamsapple

Answer the question man lol

I already told you none of us know what it actually does, there's no answer to your question right now.

This is what Verge said in the article the ultra boost thing came from:

The PS5 Pro will also have an ‘ultra-boost’ mode for games that don’t get enhancements.​

PS5 Pro will have an “ultra-boost” mode that will help VRR modes run at a higher frame rate, and games with a variable resolution may render at higher resolutions. Overall frame rates may be more stable in certain games, too.

Sounds almost exactly like PS4 Pro's Boost Mode, which was there for little to moderate improvements in games that didn't get native PS4 Pro support.

Last edited:

Zathalus

And for the non-hate boner audience, they stated that Ultra Boost mode wont be of help to games that have already locked settings like resolution or framerate, but it WILL be a benefit for games that use Dynamic Res Scaling or have unlocked framerates. If a game has a locked framerate and/or resolution in place then Ultra Boost wont do much and it'd be up to the developers to patch the games to take advantage of the extra hardware power offered by the PS5 Pro.
Yeah, not sure how anyone here can have an issue with what they said. They literally just claimed that games with dropped performance or dynamic resolution should see a good boost but games that are resolution or FPS locked should see no boost without developer intervention. That is apparently controversial now?

DF coverage here has basically devolved to the following:

DaX-FvXUQAA54aS.jpg

It's basically everyone jumping in front out of each other to make up any ol bullshit to farm likes.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why do they seemingly hate PlayStation and dismiss any and all advancements they seem to do, sometimes without even *seeing* it yet?

Has anyone directly called them out on their bias with receipts? I assume they don't acknowledge it or pull a Ree and block people.
The problem is those who have those receipts can't out them openly because the receipts contain names of people you don't want to burn

Some have shown receipts to the powers that be to show a confirmed (purchased) bias but many feel "everyone does it" but haven't heard of anyone having receipts that show Sony actively does it (buying "positive affinity")

So people can believe sites like DF are totally unbiased or they can believe some companies like Xbox actively recruited them to be pro Xbox

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

That's mainly because last gen the PS4 had more locked resolutions and frame rates.

The silver living with the XBO being weaker was it used alot more DRS.

It's one of the main reasons BC games on Xbox saw a bigger jump with the Series consoles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
We don't know what this ultra boost mode means. With only 36CUs to power they could end up boosting the clocks (both CPU and GPU) similarly to the PS4 Pro boost. I think here the limit will be what the silicon can sustain. On native PS5 Pro mode they have to power 60CUs, but with only 36CUs the clocks could be significantly boosted. And do not forget the ~30% bandwidth boost that could also help many games.
but we do?

Sony does warn developers that many unpatched games won’t show improvements in this ultra-boost mode, though. Games that run at a fixed resolution and graphical settings for fixed rendering resolutions won’t show improvements. Even if developers remain on older versions of Sony’s SDK, they can still utilize PSSR to upscale titles and get access to the additional system memory that Sony is offering game developers.

I understand that the PS5 Pro will have an “ultra-boost” mode that will help VRR modes run at a higher frame rate, and games with a variable resolution may render at higher resolutions. Overall frame rates may be more stable in certain games, too.

It's bizarre to get on DF's case about stuff they are literally repeating based on Sony's own leaks.

If the boost mode ends up doing 8k for PS4 pro games then great, but right now, what we know lines up more with DF's skepticism than guys calling for 8k upgrades.

onQ123

I already told you none of us know what it actually does, there's no answer to your question right now.

This is what Verge said in the article the ultra boost thing came from:

Sounds almost exactly like PS4 Pro's Boost Mode, which was there for little to moderate improvements in games that didn't get native PS4 Pro support.
PS4 Pro boost mood didn't take advantage of the bigger GPU only the higher clocks.

This time they have to be taking advantage of the new hardware because the clockrate is lower instead of higher.

Salty Pickle

Neo Member
I'd be very surprised, albeit pleasantly if this mode applies to PS4 titles.

DF is currently walking a fine balance from their previous hate and disdain for the PS5 Pro to know acknowledging that it could be pretty good due to the reality that it's probably going to be pretty good. They hope people remember their more recent commentary rather than their original commentary. Especially when half their videos are going to be PS5 Pro vs PS5 comparison videos.

They're still somewhat downplaying it, but it'll becoming less and less the closer we get to it and the further we get from launch.

Even developers that they mentioned that don't plan on going back to patch games will probably end up patching games after the fact if games end up getting a nominal boost in sales from simple patches.

The other thing to remember is that a lot of these games already have higher res textures available from PC so it's not entirely unrealistic that they would put out a texture patch for some games for Pro modes. Same with with RTX. They've already done the work in some cases and they only have to patch it for one SKU and optimize around that one SKU. Some of the biggest expense will probably be QA work around ensuring there aren't bugs introduced.

They're also still peddling this idea that a number of games are CPU limited. Please name them...
Agreed, and writing your game with single-threaded potato code is not an excuse or ”CPU-limited” more like ”code-limited”.

adamsapple

but we do?

It's bizarre to get on DF's case about stuff they are literally repeating based on Sony's own leaks.

If the boost mode ends up doing 8k for PS4 pro games then great, but right now, what we know lines up more with DF's skepticism than guys calling for 8k upgrades.

It's fucking bizarre, innit? They're literally reporting on the 3 lines from The Verge's article, which *does* sound almost exactly like how PS4 Pro's Boost Mode worked, the article clearly says that it's supposed to give benefits to games that don't get native PS5 Pro support but have variable frame rates or resolutions. That is literally all anyone has to go on about this at the moment.

But somehow this is being turned into a "Why does DF hate playstation?" argument, like almost every other DF thread. It's incredible :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's fucking bizarre, innit? They're literally reporting on the 3 lines from The Verge's article, which *does* sound almost exactly like how PS4 Pro's Boost Mode worked, the article clearly says that it's supposed to give benefits to games that don't get native PS5 Pro support but have variable frame rates or resolutions. That is literally all anyone has to go on about this at the moment.

But somehow this is being turned into a "Why does DF hate playstation?" argument, like almost every other DF thread. It's incredible :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I have to say that I just watched the segment and I don't see the problem with anything that was said. They seem complimentary on the possibilities of what this tech might bring for games that have struggled this gen. Not sure what I'm missing here.

Three

I've seen two people mention that only uncapped framerates will benefit but there are games with capped framerates that don't hit their target. Those will benefit too. One of them is Elden Ring for example.

Also, keep in mind that in the past we didn't really have performance and quality options so Ultra-boost mode now could mean something completely different, like quality settings with performance framerates due to DRS. Uncapped 40fps modes with RT could mean 60fps or more with RT.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol when asked what would 5090 do to improve todays gaming they gag lol "eeeeee"
of course. 50xx cards are a waste of everyone time. 4080 is fine and 4090 even more so.
Outside of extreme resolutions of VR, I don't see any reason for the new cards

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol when asked what would 5090 do to improve todays gaming they gag lol "eeeeee"
of course. 50xx cards are a waste of everyone time. 4080 is fine and 4090 even more so.
Hey, no one sees the reason for the existence of your posts either, but we’re not telling you to stop.

He said there's many CPU limited games, isn't there only a handful?
There are many 30fps capped games on... Xbox Series only (and sadly for them). Recently there have being only 2 CPU limited badly optimized games on PS5 (Baldur's Gate 3 and DD2), both of which actually run even worse on Xbox in those CPU bound scenes (why aren't they doing whole videos / articles about this strange fact BTW?). This is so ironic as they have being predicting the contrary for years. They deserve to be reminded of that for years to come.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don't get the hate for DF. but it's funny anyways
Me either. I like DF. I’m even the person who made that “bespoke” design on their new merch. 😂

Zathalus

Battlefield 2042
Plague Tale
BG3
Dragon's Dogma 2
Gotham Knights
The Quarry
The Medium
Anno 1800

Might be on PS5 one day:
Starfield
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Cities Skyline 2

Those are just off the top of my head that have CPU related drops or 30fps cap due to the CPU. I'm sure there are others, even Spider-Man 2 has the occasional drop due to the CPU.

Bojji

PS4 Pro boost mood didn't take advantage of the bigger GPU only the higher clocks.

This time they have to be taking advantage of the new hardware because the clockrate is lower instead of higher.

Yep, they have to actually use full GPU in this case because there is no clock uplift, like on PC where you plug in bigger GPU and game just uses it. OR they will use only 36CUs and overclock GPU to ~2500MHz or more.

There are UE5 games that drop well below 60fps in native 4k on 4090, there is always need for better GPU. But yeah, for most PC players 4080/90 level of power will be good for next few years.

On PC you can find CPU limits in most games, many people play well above 60FPS and CPUs are the limit in many games when you try to achieve 120/240/-> FPS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No one asked you about your opinions on 50 cards either, yet here you are whining like usual.
Oh but someone asked me. You know who? This thread. The title and topic of this thread.
It's a topic discussing the contents of latest DF video, WHICH I DID.
anyway - 50xx series cards are pointless anyway

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Oh but someone asked me. You know who? This thread. The title and topic of this thread.
It's a topic discussing the contents of latest DF video, WHICH I DID.
anyway - 50xx series cards are pointless anyway
So are your posts, but it won’t stop you from posting them anyway.

Last edited:
The only thing I expect from PS5 pro is that unpatched games always run at their maximum dynamic resolution and with a better framerate.

Battlefield 2042
Plague Tale
BG3
Dragon's Dogma 2
Gotham Knights
The Quarry
The Medium
Anno 1800

Might be on PS5 one day:
Starfield
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Cities Skyline 2

Those are just off the top of my head that have CPU related drops or 30fps cap due to the CPU. I'm sure there are others, even Spider-Man 2 has the occasional drop due to the CPU.
Aren't there 3000 games on PS5 currently? What games haven't got any drops? You think games on PC don't have CPU drops? Try buying a CPU in order to run a stable 60fps in Spider-man 2 on PC...

Last edited:
Top Bottom