• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Doom - Every Console Port Tested!

barit

Damn I owned an N64 and not once came it into my mind to check out Doom 64 on it because I had the PC version already. Who would've known that this was a complete new game on its own lol

nkarafo

I remember hating DOOM 64 the first time because of the monster redesigns and the lack of reload animations in the shotguns. Especially the latter. These animations were the coolest thing for me in the OG DOOM 1 and 2. And i'm pretty sure they did it not to save space (it's just 2 or 3 tiny frames) but to make it look more like Quake 1 which was more "trendy" at the time. Too bad it had the ugliest looking weapons though.

I still got the game and finished it though. But it still bothers me a bit. Is there a way to add them in any of the PC homebrew ports?

Another fine feature.

I'd love another video about Doom with exactly what was teased at the end. A few years ago I finished ZDoom in 16:9 with a controller and it looked beautiful. I never played Brutal Doom at the time but I'm sure it's great now.

orava

I'm still salty because Atari stopped developing computers after the Falcon030 and put all their focus on that damned console.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder, what the story behind Doom 64? I'm sure Nintendo was actually desperate to get one of the biggest of all time on their console. But after the story of Saturn's version. I think that the PSX's pseudo triangle-based 3D was more suitable for a direct port than the N64. Would a direct ported deviated much from Id's vision, so a new game was crafted?

I wonder, what the story behind Doom 64? I'm sure Nintendo was actually desperate to get one of the biggest of all time on their console. But after the story of Saturn's version. I think that the PSX's pseudo triangle-based 3D was more suitable for a direct port than the N64. Would a direct ported deviated much from Id's vision, so a new game was crafted?

Maybe, although regardless, Doom 64 looks much better than Doom on Playstation.

FyreWulff

The N64 was relatively so much more powerful and interesting that Carmack (even though it's officially a Midway dev project) worked on it to make it the first hardware-accelerated Doom.

I mean, the PSX (and Saturn) didn't even have a goddamn Z-Buffer. The N64 was the first home console with that. That alone allows much more scene complexity since you don't have to do a weird brute-force method of rendering the scene.

For a very small window of time, the N64 even had features you couldn't get on consumer level PC graphics hardware. If the damn thing hadn't had it's stupid texture resolution limitation due to a 'feature' on the hardware and was CD-based, the gap between it and the PSX would be even more apparent. Hell, it shipped with twice the RAM of the PSX standard.. and then they released the Expansion Pak that doubled the total RAM on top of that.

Renekton

The N64 was relatively so much more powerful and interesting that Carmack (even though it's officially a Midway dev project) worked on it to make it the first hardware-accelerated Doom.

I mean, the PSX (and Saturn) didn't even have a goddamn Z-Buffer. The N64 was the first home console with that. That alone allows much more scene complexity since you don't have to do a weird brute-force method of rendering the scene.

For a very small window of time, the N64 even had features you couldn't get on consumer level PC graphics hardware.
I thought Carmack would have been infuriated by N64's idiosyncracies like small texture cache and needing custom microcode.

FyreWulff

I thought Carmack would have been infuriated by N64's idiosyncracies like small texture cache and needing custom microcode.

mentioned that in the edit

but yeah, N64 was some nice hardware at the time ultimately held back by Nintendo not being a software middleware company :(

KORNdoggy

i kinda want them to do a new port on PS4/Xbone but with switch-out audio so you can play it like the playstation version. it will always be my preferred version, but i would love to have it with good controls and the best framerate it can have like the PS3/360 ports.

Gattsu25

Banned
Great video. Very informative as I've always wondered about the other ports of Doom. Loved the props given to the N64 version as that is a lovely game that is absolutely worth playing.

Good Video, but not showing of 1 minute of Brutal Doom as a honorable mention, just like N64 Doom is a miss.

Brutal Doom is Doom on steroids. It's insane and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc
He mentions source ports and mods and even shows footage from Brutal Doom with the mention that they may be the focus of a future video.

Shame about the BD dev being a piece of shit (hiding racist comments in the code, then there's when he didn't give the people who worked on his mod proper credit, and proudly detailing how he snuck in actual images of gore into the gibs).

I misread this the other day and thought it was a regular DF about all 2016 Dooms, including the upcoming Switch one.

But now I just realized it's the long-awaited DF Retro. Sweet! Gonna watch the minute I get home from work.

Only thing wrong with Doom 64 was how bloody dark it was. You had to go into the game's options and turn the brightness all the way up to see anything. And then you had to turn the brightness up on the tv as well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I could never get into Doom 64, simply because I found it hard to tell what was going on a lot of the time. The video footage shown quickly reminded me of that. The game was a blurry, dark mess.

Damn I owned an N64 and not once came it into my mind to check out Doom 64 on it because I had the PC version already. Who would've known that this was a complete new game on its own lol

Anyone who followed game news/previews/reviews at the time knew :p

KORNdoggy

Only thing wrong with Doom 64 was how bloody dark it was. You had to go into the game's options and turn the brightness all the way up to see anything. And then you had to turn the brightness up on the tv as well.

i don't particularly like the fudgey plasticine looking enemies either. i realize that's exactly how the original sprites were created back in the day, but they had such low res sprite work you couldn't really pick out details. N64 looks so comparatively clean it just looks a bit comedic.

This is probably my favourite episode of the series thus far, but I'm wondering if chronological ordering of the ports (versus playability) would've been better to underline how important that Atari Jaguar port was to everything that came after it.

Daffy Duck

Amazing video, thank you for that!

Although when I got to the end it got me wanting more about Doom. :(

Any other documentaries about it?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Renekton said:
Hmm I don't remember 2D accelerator was important, had one of those budget S3s
S3s were first gen windows accelerators and already had plenty of bandwidth to run Doom - prior VGA cards for most part - did not. It's been too long ago to remember all the specifics -
but chances were if you used an ISA interface card it was bottle-necked from reaching more than 20fps in full-screen, and even some PCI cards had Ram setup that nerfed performance considerably.

kuYuri

Big shoutout to Doom on XBLA. One of the first XBLA games I purchased for my 360 back then and it was such a great port. Looked crisp, ran well, and had so many multiplayer options which made playing online super simplified.

GulAtiCa

Any chance you think we could see an mini episode dedicated to Doom 64? Such as fascinating game. So wonderful, esp since was basically a brand new game. How it got made would be interesting to hear. That, and maybe uncovering why it was so dark would be neat too. :p

PantsuJo

Big shoutout to Doom on XBLA. One of the first XBLA games I purchased for my 360 back then and it was such a great port. Looked crisp, ran well, and had so many multiplayer options which made playing online super simplified.
I should buy before the 360 store end its service forever.

They literally sold me a 360 for 20€ so I'll grab this version too.

ISee

Well at least that was obvious to you, unlike the point of this video which is to analyze console ports of Doom.

DF retro has a history of talking about new ways to play retro games on modern hardware, aka emulation. But you surely already knew that, because you like to watch their videos and are familiar with their content. Oh wait, no you have no idea about anything. Fine with me, so I'll explain it to you slowly:
ZDomm and co. falls into the enhanced emulation category that has been part of previous DF retro videos. Showing that off, just 30-60 seconds, would have been nice. Just like showing N64 Doom, which wasn't a port either. It was a new game, with an enhanced doom engine. But that's of course something entirely different, obviously. By the way, the last part was sarcasm. Just in case.

definezen

Banned
Thank you for this video!

The lighting in Jaguar DOOM was excellent. If anyone is curious to check it out, a faithful version on PC called Calico:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Calico

CalicoE1M1.png

And yes, DOOM 64 EX is awesome:

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

bionic77

I bet it did not phase him at all.

You probably had to have some wizard blood in you to make high end PC games before Direct X.

kuYuri

I should buy before the 360 store end its service forever.

They literally sold me a 360 for 20€ so I'll grab this version too.

It's also available on PS3 PSN as part of the Doom Classic Complete Collection, but 10 years ago I happened to buy it on 360. Whichever ecosystem/controller is your preference. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DF retro has a history of talking about new ways to play retro games on modern hardware, aka emulation. But you surely already knew that, because you like to watch their videos and are familiar with their content. Oh wait, no you have no idea about anything. Fine with me, so I'll explain it to you slowly:
ZDomm and co. falls into the enhanced emulation category that has been part of previous DF retro videos. Showing that off, just 30-60 seconds, would have been nice. Just like showing N64 Doom, which wasn't a port either. It was a new game, with an enhanced doom engine. But that's of course something entirely different, obviously. By the way, the last part was sarcasm. Just in case.
Well, there is Brutal Doom footage in there at the end where I hinted that a second Doom episode covering that side of things may appear in the future.

Yeah great versions. I never had a PC growing up so my first playthrough of each game was the xbla versions!

ISee

Well, there is Brutal Doom footage in there at the end where I hinted that a second Doom episode covering that side of things may appear in the future.

Don't get me wrong, a second Doom episode would be cool but I don't think there is enough left to make an interesting, long video. But maybe I'm missing something. Also there are so many old games to cover...

Or are you thinking about including Doom 3 and the modern Doom?

I feel there's a lot worth covering w.r.t. Doom fandom, modding and source ports. There's demos, early WADs and multiplayer (i.e. DWANGO, XBand, ZDaemon/Skulltag), the source code release of evolution of ports, followed by how much people have expanded the game through popular modding platforms (mainly (G)ZDoom) + total conversions. Meanwhile, an episode for OG Quake console ports, followed by info on the SP/MP community, would turn out much smaller.

Please don't focus on Brutal Doom if and when you start working on such an episode. It's gotten way too much exposure at the expense of other mods already, and it changes how regular Doom plays enough to give new players a false impression. I feel like this kind of episode fits DF Retro well, but it's definitely not a huge concern since there's some YTers/streamer already doing a good job of introducing people to modern Doom-ing.

I loved this episode to say the very least. I presume it was a long time coming, and it's certainly one I was eagerly awaiting even before it was mentioned. Some games get ported to everything and all the idiosyncrasies of such ports is exactly the kind of nerdy stuff I enjoy.

I also eagerly await the DF Retro the looks at the AvP series, since the first two games in that series (especially) have some really interesting tech powering them.

Keep this stuff coming Dark :) I'm so happy you found work that caters to your skills and interests, since it delivers that kind of contend I get a big kick out of.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I loved this episode to say the very least. I presume it was a long time coming, and it's certainly one I was eagerly awaiting even before it was mentioned. Some games get ported to everything and all the idiosyncrasies of such ports is exactly the kind of nerdy stuff I enjoy.

I also eagerly await the DF Retro the looks at the AvP series, since the first two games in that series (especially) have some really interesting tech powering them.

Keep this stuff coming Dark :) I'm so happy you found work that caters to your skills and interests, since it delivers that kind of contend I get a big kick out of.
Thanks!

Yeah, I've had this one in mind for a while and did a lot of capture a couple months ago even but I didn't plan well enough so it took four intense days of writing, filming and editing to actually get it done! I didn't expect it to come out to a full hour.

BHK3

Banned
John, or anyone really, how different are the versions of Doom for the PS3? That is, other than content, is there anything different in terms of the version included with Doom 3 BFG and the PSN Doom downloadable version? I always wondered...

Don't play the Classic Doom that's on the BFG edition of Doom 3, it has framerate issues but I don't expect DF to have done research on the downloadable doom and the doom that's inside the BFG edition.

Top Bottom