• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

CrisKre

The switch version compares VERY favorably all things considered. That with just 3 months in the oven to boot.

Bodes well for future portd to the system.

So due to the PS4 version being sub 1080 can we stop shitting on the Switch version and chalk it up to Sumo not making the most optimized product?

I thought the ps4 version was sub 900p not sub 1080p?
I think both versions,despite their resolutions, look great but i think it might just be the game being badly optimised.
The fact that the switch is so close to the ps4 is good news i guess considering it was ported quickly in the last few months.

patientx

On the main ot of the game someone said that they are not getting full 60fps with rx480 at 1080p ... Well I have a 480 on my PC and these numbers -fps and resolution- are good if the game is that taxing on a modern PC. So guys cut some slack for the consoles here.

Wait you mean to say that when people over obsess about some technical "standard" they may be missing the whole picture, shocked! I am shocked! Okay not really shocked.

I get that for some reason the # of Ps a game has & and all the frames they can cram on to a screen is way important. There are times where I agree, but the obsessive slavering over specs and technical stuff is over bearing and ultimately not nearly important as if a game is good, has good mechanics that are engaging and interesting. I get that folks want the technical floor raised over and over, but honestly we start to hit a point of diminishing returns, and barring some major changes in compute power for cpus and gpus, I think we should focus on rewarding and encouraging devs to squeeze every ounce of power out of the tech we have.

It will make them better and more proficient, and when we do get that next technical leap it will be by larger margins than what we are seeing today. I mean look what Guerrilla did on standard PS4 with Horizon, we should push that way.

Sorry for the random rant.

Good rant, and I agree. Honestly, I question how many average Gaffers can tell the difference between native 1080p and 900p from a youtube video. I'd guess maybe 5-10%? I know for sure I can't.

I thought the ps4 version was sub 900p not 1080p?
I think both versions,despite their resolutions, look great but i think it might just be the game being badly optimised.
The fact that the switch is so close to the ps4 is good news i guess considering it was ported quickly in the last few months.

Sub 900p is sub 1080p :p

On the main ot of the game someone said that they are not getting full 60fps with rx480 at 1080p ... Well I have a 480 on my PC and these numbers -fps and resolution- are good if the game is that taxing on a modern PC. So guys cut some slack for the consoles here.

So it's just a poorly optimized mess on all platforms. That's basically what I have been saying, I'm not ragging on any particular platform. I just would expect better from a game like this.

PetrCobra

All this Snake Pass talk is actually making me (kinda) want to buy the game, even though I never had any intention to do that.

So it's just a poorly optimized mess on all platforms. That's basically what I have been saying, I'm not ragging on any particular platform. I just would expect better from a game like this.

No it isn't. It looks and runs perfectly fine on Switch, which is the worst performing platform.

Very interesting results from Df. Playing on Switch in docked mode and I'm not noticing much blur. Frame pacing has cropped up a couple of times usually when falling off of things but it hasn't affected gameplay.

Unreal Engine 4 has had an interesting console life so far. I look forward to seeing it evolve further on Switch.

Sonic All Star Racing Transformed also provided interesting digital foundry results. Weird resolutions and framerate differences on each platform. So Sumo have previous for trying to maximise their games on each platform even if the metrics seem strange.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I feel like you didn't listen the video. Digital Foundry said that lower resolutions with good AA solutions can produce a higher image qualiy than high resolutions without but all people are focusing on is "It's not 1080p!". Snake Pass looks great on the Switch in both docked and undocked modes and the video this thread is about is very positive about the visuals.

This an over the top interpretation of what it's said in the video. Like 1200 x 675 with good AA looks better than 720p without AA, but 475p will never look better than native 720p on the tablet for example.

And no AA will make 1200 x 675 look anything close to native 1080p.

This an over the top interpretation of what it's said in the video. Like 1200 x 675 with good AA looks better than 720p without AA, but 475p will never look better than native 720p on the tablet for example.

And no AA will make 1200 x 675 look anything close to native 1080p.

Or, I dunno, 1080p with AA? Why is that out of the question?

Digital Foundry literally spent multiple minutes explaining why the resolution didn't matter.

AA of all forms blurs an image, and makes a lower res less noticeable. That is not a new revelation, and it has never been an acceptable excuse for low resolution for any game I have seen discussed on this forum. Why is it different now?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sad that peoples are just seeing X resolution and then extrapolate a shitload of things out of it. Temporal AA is a huge improvement in overall visuals over just numbers, as DF mentionned.

Oh it uses TAA? No wonder it looks so smooth

Dremorak

Banned
Seriously guys? Are we that obsessed with the number itself that we can't celebrate the fact that NO ONE on here could tell ps4 wasn't 1080 and switch wasnt 720? Does the number REALLY matter at the end of the day? IMO the game running looks amazing.

Rendering resolution isn't the be all and end all of how a game looks. Thats the big takeaway here.

orioto

Good Art™
Digital Foundry literally spent multiple minutes explaining why the resolution didn't matter.

What they say is really subjective.

I prefer an aliased 720p native game to a clean smooth and blurry 475p on Switch.
Why ? Cause the 720p feels like it's the screen talking, while the other one feels like i'm watching a video of something. That direct connection to the screen is lost. It's like you're playing through something streamed.

And 475p really ? Come on...

Kikorin

Wow, surprised on how close the two versions looks. Anyway I think developers rushed a bit to have the game out on all platforms together, hope they'll improve with late patches.

Oh even PC has issues? I might go for the Switch version if the PC version doesn't make the most use of a given hardware configuration.

Hybris

Good to see DF's pun game is still strong. This game looks quite interesting. Hadn't heard about it before, but I'll definitely be picking it up later this year.

Seriously guys? Are we that obsessed with the number itself that we can't celebrate the fact that NO ONE on here could tell ps4 wasn't 1080 and switch wasnt 720? Does the number REALLY matter at the end of the day? IMO the game running looks amazing.

Rendering resolution isn't the be all and end all of how a game looks. Thats the big takeaway here.

Hear hear! I couldn't agree more, the reactions in this thread vs the ones in the previous locked thread are ridiculously different, all because people were given a number. Guess what, knowing this number doesn't change how the game actually looks!

Do you really think the below is how this game should run on PC? From the OT as mentioned before:

There is clearly something wrong here that is not the hardware, on every platform. That's all I'm saying.

Or the game is a lot more complex than you're giving it credit for. Visually, computationally, or maybe both.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

And yet you are here in this thread. Funny how this works.

He means why the resolution doesn't matter in this example.

Even in this example matters as I wrote earlier.

Hasney

If resolution wouldn't matter Digital Foundry wouldn't exist. Stop this hyperbole.

Yes they would, because they could explain what else is going on with the game like they are here. The resolution was glossed over in the video because it doesn't seem to have a massive impact.

And yet you are here in this thread. Funny how this works.

And yet that video talked a great deal more than just numbers

Good rant, and I agree. Honestly, I question how many average Gaffers can tell the difference between native 1080p and 900p from a youtube video. I'd guess maybe 5-10%? I know for sure I can't.

Sub 900p is sub 1080p :p

I'd normally agree, but that handheld mode just isn't good looking to me. It looks like somebody rubbed lotion or Vaseline over the screen. I'd definitely like to see some improvement there. I'm fine with the tv mode. It looks much better. I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable here though.

Kilau

Um no, what a dumb thing that would be to celebrate. Also, people were looking at compressed youtube footage, it's hardly the same.

Yeah, from now on everyone will say when they see new hardware:

"But can it run Snake Pass?"

I don't claim to know how complex or how optimized the game is, but that's not something any of us will really know to that much of an extent. The physics and animations might be far more sophisticated than they appear for instance. Or maybe you're right and the game is just terribly unoptimized. Maybe it's a UE4 problem. The problem is none of us can know this just yet, only Sumo will really know.

I'd normally agree, but that handheld mode just isn't good looking to me. It looks like somebody rubbed lotion or Vaseline over the screen. I'd definitely like to see some improvement there.

Yeah from what I've seen of that it does look fairly blurry. I'm more referring to people being up in arms about it being sub 900p on PS4 than anything else to be honest. Especially when the majority of impressions believed it was 1080p.

orioto

Good Art™
well wow...

SnakeCOmpare.jpg

i mean shit... (in before, "#itsthecompression and #youcan'tjudgeonacomputerscreen)

The real problem here, is that i think the spirit is "as long as it runs at acceptable rez docked, it's ok. Portable is a bonus"

But it's a massive mistake. The portable aspect of the Switch is its main appeal, not the reverse. IF some devs treat it like shit, it's gonna be a problem.

EDarkness

well wow...

SnakeCOmpare.jpg

i mean shit... (in before, "#itsthecompression and #youcan'tjudgeonacomputerscreen

The real problem here, is that i think the spirit is "as long as it runs at acceptable rez docked, it's ok. Portable is a bonus"

But it's a massive mistake. The portable aspect of the Switch is its main appeal, not the reverse. IF some devs treat it like shit, it's gonna be a problem.

Speak for yourself. My NS is 100% docked. I want the console part to be good and don't care at all about the portable part. If it's good enough, that's fine by me. Which it is in this case.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks like PS4Pro/PC is the way to go with this one. The few seconds of footage shown in the video of the Pro version was really good looking, and smooth 60FPS.

Skyzard

Banned
PC takes the cake (as it should always), even for handheld gaming, which is actually why I bought it:

Max settings, 2560x1440, 60fps or near enough for the Vita. Streaming at 60 and without a hitch with my extra lan router I set up yesterday for streaming from pc.

It's pretty demanding on PC though. Like, For Honor at almost max runs better at the same resolution :)

It is very pretty though.

The most interesting aspect about this to me really isn't the comparison between the two versions (even though that's what the thread is about) but instead the fact that Sumo was able to port this so quickly to Switch and have it perform as well as it does. It sounds as if devs had significantly less time to get games ready than prior to Wii U launch yet so far the few examples we have of 3rd party games are looking better than I expected at this point and it doesn't seem as if we're hearing any of the kind of complaints that we heard about Wii U development hell and lack of support from NCL.

It's still to early to make a real judgement about how well bigger 3rd party games are going to fare on this platform in terms of performance but I'm cautiously optimistic compared to how I felt a few weeks into owning a Wii U.

well wow...

SnakeCOmpare.jpg

i mean shit... (in before, "#itsthecompression and #youcan'tjudgeonacomputerscreen)

One thing to take into consideration is that you are blowing up the image of the game in that screenshot. When you play on a smaller screen it doesnt look like that, they even note that the smaller screen in portable mode makes the experience much better than the blown up image of it.

Example... When the image is much smaller as it is above in my quoted post you cant tell much of a difference.

orioto

Good Art™
One thing to take into consideration is that you are blowing up the image of the game in that screenshot. When you play on a smaller screen it doesnt look like that, they even note that the smaller screen makes the experience much better than the blown up image.

Example... When the image is much smaller as it is above in my repost you cant tell much of a difference.

lol stop please...
This is and has always been a lie.
It's like the mozart model pic lol it'll never die.. You see everything on a 6,2" screen, or even a vita screen. You see there is a dead pixel for example. So if you see a dead pixel, or aliasing even at 720p, don't you think you see the difference between seeing the blade of grass and having a blurry mess of grass ? really ? look at the difference.

And your exemple is a lie to. The resized picture has a lower resolution so details are lost. it's not just smaller. People can never understand that.

Interfectum

PC takes the cake (as it should always), even for handheld gaming, which is actually why I bought it:

Max settings, 2560x1440, 60fps or near enough for the Vita. Streaming at 60 and without a hitch with my extra lan router I set up yesterday for streaming from pc.

It's pretty demanding on PC though. Like, For Honor at almost max runs better at the same resolution :)

It is very pretty though.

What wizardry is this. Teach me.

lol stop please...
This is and has always been a lie.
It's like the mozart model pic lol it'll never die.. You see everything on a 6,2" screen, or even a vita screen. You see there is a dead pixel for example. So if you see a dead pixel, or aliasing even at 720p, don't you think you see the difference between seeing the blade of grass and having a blurry mess of grass ? really ? look at the difference.

And your example is a lie to. The resized picture has a lower resolution so details are lost. it's not just smaller. People can never understand that.

I understand that completely.. I am just reiterating what the DF guys said essentially, which is when you play it on the switches smaller screen is isnt as glaring as it seems.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So I bought it and tried it few minutes. I agree with Orioto and others who regretted the subnative blurriness in handeld mode. It's very noticeable, like a Wii U game streamed on the GamePad, nothing like Spla2oon which was really crisp to me. I don't know what Eurogamer was thinking, this is not crisp.

Still looks impressive on a handheld but they should keep optimizing and updating it, before moving to their next game.

orioto

Good Art™
I understand that completely.. I am just reiterating what the DF guys said essentially, which is when you play it on the switches smaller screen is isnt as glaring as it seems.

Try to see that df video on switch (i know youtube is not there yet lol) and you'll see the difference i can tell you. Except if you're playing your switch with 5 feet arms of course.

For some cases graphical fidelity over resolution matter more. If you guys want switch to have better parity with ps4 and xbone games in graphical fidelity(lighting, textures, polygons, shadow) then resolution has to be sacrificed. 720p for docked and 480-540p for handheld is fine for AAA multiplat port on switch imp.. Especially if they are demanding.

So I bought it and tried it few minutes. I agree with Orioto and others who regretted the subnative blurriness in handeld mode. It's very noticeable, like a Wii U game streamed on the GamePad, nothing like Spla2oon which was really crisp to me. I don't know what Eurogamer was thinking, this is not crisp.

Still looks impressive on a handheld but they should keep optimizing and updating it, before moving to their next game.

Is it something you can get used to given like a half hour? I'm thinking about getting this but I primarily play in handheld mode too.

heringer

Considering this appears to be a demanding game (probably just poorly optmized, but still), it's encouraging to see a quick Switch port doing so well.

Top Bottom