• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yea but it is oddly so low res on base PS4 that Switchs low res looks good in comparison.Is this game also $10 extra on Switch? Because if it is then basically from consumers point of view "dat portable version tax".

Nintendo parity moneyhat?/s
No its not 10 dollars extra, we know this game was ported to the switch in a matter of weeks and so its not exactly taking advantage of the system either

shiyrley

Banned
Yea but it is oddly so low res on base PS4 that Switchs low res looks good in comparison.Is this game also $10 extra on Switch? Because if it is then basically from consumers point of view "dat portable version tax".

Nintendo parity moneyhat?/s
I don't understand posts like this.

Is *thing I can easily google* true? Because if so, *insert criticism here*.

Can't you...search if what you are wondering is true or not? The price of a game takes two seconds to search: less time than what you took to write that sentence.

No, the game is not more expensive on Switch. It was also ported to Switch in, literally, 2-3 months.

orioto

Good Art™
Yes, subnative isnt good, but I dont know who you are mad at here. At Nintendo for failing to deliver a handheld that can run at 720p a game that fails to reach 900p on the PS4? At Nintendo for not going 540p? At Sumo digital for making such a demanding game?

I was at team 540p for the switch, but I get that all the "lol, 720p in 2017!" comments would have been magnified with a 540p screen...

I was in the 540p camp to but with a 5" screen. Now with a bigger screen, to have a nice ppi, 720p was necessary.

I'm mad at Sumo, not for doing a demanding game, but rather for prioritizing the dock mode. I'll quote what i said in the other thread about the X1:

The problem is, in that case, a dev not prioritizing what should be. Which is a big problem if they can all do that, cause the Switch concept is to have a certain kind of parity. And that parity means you make sure your game runs as it should in portable mode, then you upgrade it the more you can for tv.

From the very point where devs can think 'hey let's make it run a descent rez on tv ok, then we'll see for the portable mode after that" this is the beginning of the end, cause then the portable switch is not a console in itself, but some kind of second hand gaming device. That's not what Nintendo wants. The portable side of the Switch will sell it. Being a WiiU+ on a tv won't

You do realise the port wouldn't be possible unless they dropped the resolution right? I'd rather have ports at 480p on a 6" screen than no ports at all personally. If you don't like it don't buy it, no big deal.

Why exactly ? You seem to act like a port is just changing the rez and the frame rate. They could have changed the models, some effects. I know some people will tell me "it's better to have the same game at a lower rez" but at that rez it's just not acceptable.. I mean why are people accepting that with a Switch ?
If i don't know, for example.. A big pc game is ported on PS4 and it runs at 720p, it will be a friggin' drama on the net. But for Switch it's super ok.

An otehr thing with a portable is that. You're buying the screen. Nobody thinks about that. You're buying the screen with the console. it adds to the price, you don't have a choice. Every Switch owner bought a 720 screen with it, a pretty fiine screen. So yeah, games for the device should be worthy of that screen. And certainly not 35% smaller.

Donnie

Jesus that undocked is brutal.

Its a third of the PS4 resolution, on a handheld. So you've got a 6 inch screen sporting 1/3 the resolution of something that's going to be displayed on a screen 7+ times the size, which one is more brutal?

I just got done playing an entire level in portable mode, and while it is definitely blurry as a result of being lower resolution, I do think that this is a case where the TAA does a lot to help boost the overall IQ to give it a surprisingly pleasant look. One of the biggest issues with sub-native Vita games was that they frequently did nothing to clean up after themselves, which resulted in really rough presentations that could feel like something was wrong with the system's output (that games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed also run poorly on top of that exacerbated the matter even further). Native resolution on handhelds will always, always, always be preferable, but the solution Sumo Digital came up with here is about as good as it gets in this scenario.

I really don't think its blurry as a result of being lower resolution. The pixels per inch are still higher than anyone will view the PS4 version on a TV. So obviously something with the AA is causing that blur.

"Resolution doesn't matter" reeks of the first months of this generation when the new consoles came out and the XB1 owners kept saying that in Digital Foundry threads (and what PS4 owners will say when the Scorpio comes out).

You're in a thread about performance and graphics, of course it matters. If you don't want to buy the most powerful console, fine, but downplaying resolution, framerate, frametime and etc is just misleading.

Donnie

"Resolution doesn't matter" reeks of the first months of this generation when the new consoles came out and the XB1 owners kept saying that in Digital Foundry threads (and what PS4 owners will say when the Scorpio comes out).

You're in a thread about performance and graphics, of course it matters. If you don't want to buy the most powerful console, fine.

Who are you even talking to?

You're in a thread about performance and graphics, of course it matters. If you don't want to buy the most powerful console, fine.
We're only saying it because of what Digital Foundry said about the AA solution, if they feel sub 720p with AA would produce a better picture than native 720p then I'm inclined to agree. They know more than me when it comes to this and having played the game it looks great.

orioto

Good Art™
Its a third of the PS4 resolution, on a handheld. So you've got a 6 inch screen sporting 1/3 the resolution of something that's going to be displayed on a screen 7+ times the size, which one is more brutal?

I really don't think its blurry as a result of being lower resolution. The pixels per inch are still higher than anyone will view the PS4 version on a TV. So obviously something with the AA is causing that blur.

Man i'm sorry but you're crazy. In what world resolution doesn't cause blur.. The game is 65% of the switch screen resolution when unlocked. It creates blur.

Cuburt

Hear hear! I couldn't agree more, the reactions in this thread vs the ones in the previous locked thread are ridiculously different, all because people were given a number. Guess what, knowing this number doesn't change how the game actually looks!
It's like someone eating a meal and enjoying it for how it tastes and when finding out that it's something they "don't like" suddenly it was disgusting, rather than re-evaluating that maybe their preconceived notions are wrong and they should actually trust what their senses are telling them.

It's like someone eating a meal and enjoying it for how it tastes and when finding out that it's something they "don't like" suddenly it was disgusting, rather than re-evaluating that maybe their preconceived notions are wrong and they should actually trust what their senses are telling them.

I pulled that thing out of the dock and was immediately disappointed. It very blurry when portable. I'm not disappointed with docked, so it's not like I'm unreasonable, but it just doesn't looked good undocked imo. I hope they fix whatever it is that is causing the blur like they're saying on twitter.

You must be avoiding quite a few games, then. Because sub-native res isn't exactly uncommon on any console. And the AA makes the resolution difference mostly moot anyway.
Subnative resolution, though not extremely rare on PS4, is nowhere near common either. A quick perusal of publicly available data suggests it's under 10%, which I would definitely call "uncommon".

The AA doesn't even come close to making the difference moot. Digital Foundry didn't claim that, and what they did claim--the AA gives results that "really aren't bad"--isn't comparative at all, just a subjective assessment of the AA in and of itself.

PPI and resolution aren't the only things that play into perceptual acuity. Distance from the screen matters a lot, and TV users sit many feet away from their large screens (between 6 and 15 feet is typical). Handheld Switch will never get more than 18 inches from the eyes (arms' length), and will typically be much closer. This can negate much of the pixel density advantage Nintendo's machine has.

Which skirts around the much bigger point: because of the low rendering resolution, Switch effectively doesn't actually use its high PPI for Snake Pass. For every 9-pixel block, there are only 4 pixels of data.

I really don't think its blurry as a result of of being lower resolution. The pixels per inch are still higher than anyone will view the PS4 version in on a TV. So obviously something with the AA is causing that blurr.
Again, PPI is not all that matters and Switch isn't utilizing it anyway. In addition, while I'm not conversant with the details of Unreal Engine 4's TAA implementation, I highly doubt it would soften overall IQ to such an extent. That's just not what modern methods do. On the other hand, the universal, uniform blur of the Switch footage (and the PS4 and Xbox One footage, to a lesser extent) looks exactly like the results of upscaling, familiar from any number of sources.

It would be nice to know where PC ranks among the consoles though, even if it was a 20-3- second spot saying "the PC performs flawlessly at 1080p and 60fps".

For what it's worth, I have it on PC and it runs at 4K/30fps Ultra with these specs:

AMD FX-6300
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM

It tuns at a nice 60fps too if I bump the res down a bit. Unreal Engine 4 games usually do well on PC, so I don't think anyone will have issues.

Paz

I remember a couple weeks back when everyone was using this game as an example of how unity was a piece of shit and everyone should switch to unreal, wonder when people will figure out that games are complicated and we shouldn't boil everything down to such simple comparisons. Sumo digital ain't no slouch either when it comes to technical proficiency.

I'll probably get it for switch as I've got a long flight tomorrow and even a bit blurry it should be a ton of fun :)

I remember a couple weeks back when everyone was using this game as an example of how unity was a piece of shit and everyone should switch to unreal, wonder when people will figure out that games are complicated and we shouldn't boil everything down to such simple comparisons. Sumo digital ain't no slouch either when it comes to technical proficiency.

I'll probably get it for switch as I've got a long flight tomorrow and even a bit blurry it should be a ton of fun :)

Sumo made a pretty gigantic mess out of LBP3. It's not like they have a perfect track record.

King_Moc

Banned

As always, the one that is having to upscale the image. Stretching pixels across a screen looks bad.

The IQ I'm seeing here is exactly the same as what you get on upscaled Vita games.

Well someone did say this a couple pages back, take it as you will:
Digital Foundry literally spent multiple minutes explaining why the resolution didn't matter.
A quick note, Jonneh3003 is completely wrong about this. Not only did Digital Foundry never say the resolution doesn't matter, they also didn't spend near that long on the topic. Discussion of TAA and an intentionally soft look ameliorating the low resolution happens between 3:11 and 3:37 of the video--less than 30 seconds, not "multiple minutes".

z0m3le

Banned
Yep, my guess was that the game was probably running at 40-45 fps on the original PS4 and they decided to lock it at 30. PS4's CPU is quiet weak. But I don't get the 900p?? You look at the game and it doesnt look very taxing, except for maybe the Snake. Bizzare. I mean, Uncharted 4 runs at 1080p, and many other AAA demanding titles.

It's not 900p, that is why I don't think the game was running 40-45fps, If it was, they should have been able to hit 900p or greater resolution.

Man i'm sorry but you're crazy. In what world resolution doesn't cause blur.. The game is 65% of the switch screen resolution when unlocked. It creates blur.

Absolutely true, but it's still what? 150dpi+? With good AA on top of that, I mean there are many many people in this thread who have used their gamepad on Wii U, this will look much better than that since it won't be a compressed mess and adds that AA. For a handheld, this is still really good IMO.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Why exactly ? You seem to act like a port is just changing the rez and the frame rate. They could have changed the models, some effects. I know some people will tell me "it's better to have the same game at a lower rez" but at that rez it's just not acceptable.. I mean why are people accepting that with a Switch ?
If i don't know, for example.. A big pc game is ported on PS4 and it runs at 720p, it will be a friggin' drama on the net. But for Switch it's super ok.

You do realise that Switch is a tablet right and PS4 is a giant dedicated console in comparison which creates much more heat and uses far more power?

Developers can't win. They go for parity on graphical fidelity with a lower resolution and people complain. They go for parity on resolution with lower graphical fidelity and people complain. They sacrifice both graphical fidelity and resolution to hit framerate parity and people complain.

Snake Pass is an incredibly impressive looking game for the hardware it's running on. I'd personally like Nintendo to release a standalone console built on the same architecture as Switch which enables those of us who care to run all the games at 1080p or even 4k and who knows they might do just that later on but for now... Switch is what it is (a tablet with an HDTV out). If it really upsets you as much as it seems to then don't buy one or sell it if you think you've made a purchasing error.

bomblord1

Banned
A quick note, Jonneh3003 is completely wrong about this. Not only did Digital Foundry never say the resolution doesn't matter, they also didn't spend near that long on the topic. Discussion of TAA and an intentionally soft look ameliorating the low resolution happens between 3:11 and 3:37 of the video--less than 30 seconds, not "multiple minutes".

And they said

but it works out better than you think (referring to resolution) due to Unreal Engines Excellent Temporal Anti-aliasing combined with the soft materials used in the game

A lower resolution with Anti-Aliasing can often times produce a more pleasing image than a higher resolution with little or no AA

They are literally saying that the result is better than if they had run it a higher resolution with no AA.

shiyrley

Banned
And they said

They are literally saying that the result is better than if they had run it a higher resolution with no AA.
The point is resolution is a thing that matters and AA is a thing that matters, too. Saying the game looks good because of AA is not downplaying the importance of resolution.

IMACOMPUTA

lol stop please...
This is and has always been a lie.
It's like the mozart model pic lol it'll never die.. You see everything on a 6,2" screen, or even a vita screen. You see there is a dead pixel for example. So if you see a dead pixel, or aliasing even at 720p, don't you think you see the difference between seeing the blade of grass and having a blurry mess of grass ? really ? look at the difference.

And your exemple is a lie to. The resized picture has a lower resolution so details are lost. it's not just smaller. People can never understand that.

Um. Pixel density is a thing. Playing Zelda docked on a 127" projection looks a lot worse than playing it on the handheld.

Ridley327

sub 480p nice.. this must burn through the batt life while undocked otherwise

After about a half hour of play, it didn't seem like it was draining it any more than BotW does. I would imagine that the resolution being low as it is has more to do with keeping the framerate stable than any battery life concerns.

Your game runs on Unity, correct? Its titles like Assault Android Cactus and Inside that have made me question this notion from some that Unity sucks on console. Two of the most polished indies I've played and they're both using that engine (unless I've been misinformed about your game, in which case, my apologies!).

Darknight

Poor optimization on PS4 it seems. Are the physics pushing the CPU? Talking out of my butt but this seems bad. I mean we have games like Battlefront pushing nice visuals and solid frames at 900P on base PS4. A game like this shouldnt be running this way.

Games is $20 but it get this if you have a Pro or on PC. Switch version seems good for the platform but the similarity on output between PS4/Switch shouldnt fool people thinking Switch can run games like on a PS4. (seems bad optimization across the board, least on PS4/switch has made them very comparable)

Looks fun though!

Hubble

Shocked that the game is not 1080 on the PS4. The developers could not take the time to do this? I will pass then.

Skyzard

Banned
giphy.gif

PC to Vita (moonlight+henkaku). 60fps. Using R trigger to move forward and L trigger to grip.

The game rules btw. Really challenging but fun snake platforming with nice atmosphere. Great price on steam £16.

Darknight

giphy.gif

PC to Vita (moonlight+henkaku). 60fps. Using R trigger to move forward and L trigger to grip.

The game rules btw. Really challenging but fun snake platforming with nice atmosphere. Great price on steam £16.

Is there an AMD equivalent to stream games like that?

watershed

Banned
Holy hell, that Switch undocked resolution is awful. Is the game particularly demanding? It looks cool but not graphicaly amazing to me.

Donnie

Holy hell, that Switch undocked resolution is awful. Is the game particularly demanding? It looks cool but not graphicaly amazing to me.

No its not demanding at all, that's why PS4 cant run it anywhere near 1080p at the same framerate as a handheld.

OryoN

Haha, what a plot twist!

The extremely low resolution on Switch in portable mode is surprising, but the overall package is still fairly impressive, especially considering the very brief time frame in which the Switch game was ported. Not a bad debut for an Unreal Engine 4 game on Switch.

z0m3le

Banned
Oh really now?

You'll have to be more specific, sorry but sub 1080p or dynamic resolution games are common this generation already. If the game isn't exclusive to a platform it won't take full advantage of the hardware, but I think people are surprised that a handheld can be this close to the PS4 and that is giving people the impression that the game is poorly optimized for the ps4, with no other basis. The pro looks like the lead platform at 1080p and 60fps with everything else being a compromise to that version of the game.

You'll have to be more specific, sorry but sub 1080p or dynamic resolution games are common this generation already. If the game isn't exclusive to a platform it won't take full advantage of the hardware, but I think people are surprised that a handheld can be this close to the PS4 and that is giving people the impression that the game is poorly optimized for the ps4, with no other basis. The pro looks like the lead platform at 1080p and 60fps with everything else being a compromise to that version of the game.

When the PS4 can pull off Horizon then yes snake pass is poorly optimised, stop trying to pretend that the Switch is anywhere close to the PS4.

Sumo have never shown themselves to be amazing at performance in their games.

z0m3le

Banned
When the PS4 can pull off Horizon then yes snake pass is poorly optimised, stop trying to pretend that the Switch is anywhere close to the PS4.

Sumo have never shown themselves to be amazing at performance in their games.

Nier doesn't look as good as Horizon either and it's 900p, games tap hardware differently. It's quite obvious that snake pass can't look like Horizon, that doesn't make it unoptimized, and with the PS4 Pro pushing about 3times the performance over the base PS4, it's obvious that the extra hardware power is being used.

Believe whatever you want, but I'm hardly twisting reality to fit some frame, I'm talking about the results of this game and how switch and ps4 compare, if you don't want to do that, you should find a thread that isn't 100% about that.

Tagg9

Nier doesn't look as good as Horizon either and it's 900p, games tap hardware differently. It's quite obvious that snake pass can't look like Horizon, that doesn't make it unoptimized, and with the PS4 Pro pushing about 3times the performance over the base PS4, it's obvious that the extra hardware power is being used.

Believe whatever you want, but I'm hardly twisting reality to fit some frame, I'm talking about the results of this game and how switch and ps4 compare, if you don't want to do that, you should find a thread that isn't 100% about that.

Nier runs at 60fps next to Horizon's 30fps, so that's a poor comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wBvsx84Dys

- Solid 30fps on both platforms.
- Some frame-pacing issues on Switch (docked and undocked).
- Sub-native resolutions on both platforms (1536 x 864 on PS4 and 1200 x 675 [docked] ~844x475 [undocked])
- Shadow maps reduced and water caustics and ripple shaders missing on Switch.

- PS4 Pro runs 1080p/60FPS (multiple resolution options).

Constrict me if old.

Dont forget that Grass on Switch was more lush

Top Bottom