• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Sub native 1080p on ps4 base is unacceptable. Poor programming/optimization and no buy.

Skyzard

Banned
What wizardry is this. Teach me.

AFAIK you have to have a vita with firmware 3.60. And it's using a program called moonlight which you can ftp transfer over after doing the online henkaku exploit (involving pressing a single button). Pretty easy to do, but your streaming results could vary depending on your connection/router situation.

It also uses Nvidia's shield process, so you'll need geforce experience with a suitable nvidia gpu.

There is also has a free app for Android, iOS, Mac, PC. You'll need a controller that works with them though. I think there is a workaround if you want to control it with your PC controller that involves renaming two files.
http://moonlight-stream.com/

X1 controller can plug into a mac and work using free software.

On vita, you can customise bitrate, framerate (30/60), have access to fullscreen Steam (and any shortcuts you have in the geforce experience library). Set custom controls, change the layout of the rearpad to add deadzones to the top, bottom and sides, plus make the L2/R2 larger.
And it's really fast from as soon as you press to launch the app.

Kilau

Gold Member
Considering this appears to be a demanding game (probably just poorly optmized, but still), it's encouraging to see a quick Switch port doing so well.

Both the switch and PS4 having crap resolutions doesn't really mean the switch is doing well.

datamage

What they say is really subjective.

I prefer an aliased 720p native game to a clean smooth and blurry 475p on Switch.
Why ? Cause the 720p feels like it's the screen talking, while the other one feels like i'm watching a video of something. That direct connection to the screen is lost. It's like you're playing through something streamed.

And 475p really ? Come on...

I love how you worded that, because it's true. When I first loaded up the game, I was pretty disappointed. From a graphical standpoint, the game looks nice, but the visual fidelity isn't there. Once I got used to the blur, and the controls clicked, I quickly started enjoying the game.

Now despite having a PS4 Pro and a capable PC, I still opted to get this for the Switch. Simply because I will actually play the game versus it just sitting in an endless list of games. I'd still get the Switch version if I had to do it all over again.

Both the switch and PS4 having crap resolutions doesn't really mean the switch is doing well.

In comparison to the PS4 version it absolutely is. It's pushing ~60% of the pixels with ~25% of the raw power. That's a very, very favorable comparison.

I love how you worded that, because it's true. When I first loaded up the game, I was pretty disappointed. From a graphical standpoint, the game looks nice, but the visual fidelity isn't there. Once I got used to the blur, and the controls clicked, I quickly started enjoying the game.

Now despite having a PS4 Pro and a capable PC, I still opted to get this for the Switch. Simply because I will actually play the game versus it just sitting in an endless list of games. I'd still get the Switch version if I had to do it all over again.

You just nailed the best reason to own a Switch (and my main reason too).

orioto

Good Art™

Yeah maybe people should stop calling it a nice port when the game runs at 65% of the resolution of the machine.

Actually that's the fastest shit you can do. Don't change anything to your game, assets nor anything and drop the resolution to PS2 low until it runs.. lol Why bother. People are happy with anything anyway..

There are more differences than just the res

And according to Digital Foundry (and most people who have played this) those are incredibly minor. The video clearly shows how close these games match up despite the power gap. That's nothing but a favorable comparison for the Switch's performance.

Now handheld mode seems to be a bigger problem but that's another story.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Is it something you can get used to given like a half hour? I'm thinking about getting this but I primarily play in handheld mode too.
Definitely by the 2nd level I forgot about it, my rant was just about the crisp comment from Eurogamer. Maybe wait for the rumble patch, as its stands it's broken to the point you will deactivate it, which is a pity.

Banned
Can some of the tech savvy people explain to me why frame pacing happens and why it's not so simple to fix or never is fixed?

Don't devs write code that sets frame timers and refresh rates and stuff?

Definitely by the 2nd level I forgot about it, my rant was just about the crisp comment from Eurogamer. Maybe wait for the rumble patch, as its stands it's broken to the point you will deactivate it, which is a pity.

I already deactivated it due to how loud it gets in Binding of Isaac. It kept waking my wife up, she assumed her phone was buzzing.

As for Snake Pass I might give it a few days to see if they're planning on issuing any other sort of patch, rumble or not. I have plenty to play in the meantime anyway.

Kilau

Gold Member
In comparison to the PS4 version it absolutely is. It's pushing ~60% of the pixels with ~25% of the raw power. That's a very, very favorable comparison.

It's also one of lowest resolutions of any PS4 game at only 30fps.

I think that it's more that this game just doesn't perform well and with sub HD (docked) and sub vita (portable) mode, I hope this isn't how UE4 games are going to be on the switch

tebunker

Banned
well wow...

SnakeCOmpare.jpg

i mean shit... (in before, "#itsthecompression and #youcan'tjudgeonacomputerscreen)

The real problem here, is that i think the spirit is "as long as it runs at acceptable rez docked, it's ok. Portable is a bonus"

But it's a massive mistake. The portable aspect of the Switch is its main appeal, not the reverse. IF some devs treat it like shit, it's gonna be a problem.

Have you played it? I mean have you loaded it up? Cause I just played stage two completely portable, and yeah it's fuzzier but it looks fine and plays fine. I would like them to come back and clean it up some if possible, but ultimately I think it's okay.

This isn't shit. It's solid in practice. I wonder what it would have been if they could have coded for Switch from day 1

guek

Banned
Yeah maybe people should stop calling it a nice port when the game runs at 65% of the resolution of the machine.

Actually that's the fastest shit you can do. Don't change anything to your game, assets nor anything and drop the resolution to PS2 low until it runs.. lol Why bother. People are happy with anything anyway..

You sound so bitter

It's also one of lowest resolutions of any PS4 game at only 30fps.

I think that it's more that this game just doesn't perform well and with sub HD (docked) and sub vita (portable) mode, I hope this isn't how UE4 games are going to be on the switch

But we're comparing apples to apples here. This game, regardless of how optimized it is, runs like X on PS4 and runs like Y on Switch. Comparing Y to X, Y seems to hold up next to X a lot better than the raw numbers would tell you it should.

If this game is highly unoptimized on PS4 then why should anyone believe it's maxing out the Switch? The opposite is also true, if this is somehow highly optimized on the Switch then why is it not getting past 900p on the PS4?

That's why the reference point for comparison is between these two versions, not just with the raw numbers themselves.

Skyzard

Banned
This post explains why the PS4 non-pro might not be performing as well as you'd expect compared to switch and ps4 pro:

I wouldn't say that. fp16 basically means that you use differently sized variables (16 bit instead of 32 bit floating points) at certain points, which come at a loss of accuracy. For plenty of processes this loss is not problematic, and in those instances using fp16 is an almost free way to get extra power out of systems that support double speed fp16 processing (like the Switch and PS4 Pro, and unlike the PS4 OG and Xbox One). I wouldn't call that having PS4 Pro as the lead platform, just that it happens to be one of the systems that benefits most from the choice of fp16 programming.

Is it something you can get used to given like a half hour? I'm thinking about getting this but I primarily play in handheld mode too.
Definitely. It really is similar to how games looked streamed to the Wii U game pad, albeit with a much better initial image quality and not as washed out.

But we're comparing apples to apples here. This game, regardless of how optimized it is, runs like X on PS4 and runs like Y on Switch. Comparing Y to X, Y seems to hold up next to X a lot better than the raw numbers would tell you it should.

If this game is highly unoptimized on PS4 then why should anyone believe it's maxing out the Switch? The opposite is also true, if this is somehow highly optimized on the Switch then why is it not getting past 900p on the PS4?

That's why the reference point for comparison is between these two versions, not just with the raw numbers themselves.

When it's totally unoptimized, we have no way of really knowing how much of each it is doing. It could be using 60% of PS4 capability due to X reason, and 80% of Switch capability due to Y reason, or vice versa. When a game is this much of a head scratcher on performance on every platform, I would really hesitate to use it as a comparison of the overall capability of each platform.

Kilau

Gold Member

Because we know what the PS4 is capable of and that's a whole heck of a lot more than this. The switch is still new with a small number of references so far.

Also we do know that the game was running at 40-50fps on PS4 before it was locked to 30fps. So it's probably not maxing out base PS4.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Definitely. It really is similar to how games looked streamed to the Wii U game pad, albeit with a much better initial image quality and not as washed out.
This is my first Switch game that gave this impression. I'm at level 3 now and it's a nice little game, I'm afraid it won't last long but I'm glad I picked it.

I haven't shown it to my girls yet and I'm 100% they'll love it.

Really surprised the game can't run 1080p 60fps on base-level PS4. I really doubt the game is graphically or technically demanding to the point it can't run at that point on the base PS4 platform, especially since pre-release demos of the game on the PS4 ran at an uncapped performance. Polygon in particular posted footage of the game running on the PS4 at a higher framerate and resolution only three weeks ago.

That's not to say the final result looks bad (the game still looks splendid in spite of this), but given their sketchy track record with ports as it is (LBP3 on PS3 was reportedly even more buggier than the already-buggy PS4 version, and ASRT on Wii U was plagued with several glitches before later patches fixed the game up), I can't help but feel Sumo Digital fell a bit short on optimizing the game for the PS4 come the final release.

With that said, not surprised at all about the compromises that had made for the Switch version though, even given the Switch version still puts up a respectable performance nonetheless. I presume this will be par the course for later Switch ports of other games.

orioto

Good Art™
You sound so bitter

Yes cause Switch is in its childhood and people being happy with this kind of thing makes it acceptable, and fine then, let's have 5-6 years of 480p port on Switch, why not.

The Switch is meant to be a 720p portable that outputs at better resolutions on tv. That's the thing we're buying. But devs can already change the rule and put the portable rez on tv and half less than what the screen output on the portable. That's not acceptable.

icespide

Banned
Yes cause Switch is in its childhood and people being happy with this kind of thing makes it acceptable, and fine then, let's have 5-6 years of 480p port on Switch, why not.

The Switch is meant to be a 720p portable that outputs at better resolutions on tv. That's the thing we're buying. But devs can already change the rule and put the portable rez on tv and half less than what the screen output on the portable. That's not acceptable.

is there actually a "rule" about any of this?

Moff

native resolution is a must on a handheld, I would definitely have bought it just for the crisp colorful graphics

joms5

Surprised at the sub-native res of the PS4. PS4 Pro footage was looking good though, interested to see it with more detail!

That's a lot of platforms and it takes a good amount of time to edit these things together. It's nice that they were able to put this video out now, with a previous comparison posted earlier being flat out wrong. I doubt the full comparison would have come out sooner had this not been posted.

It would be nice to know where PC ranks among the consoles though, even if it was a 20-3- second spot saying "the PC performs flawlessly at 1080p and 60fps".

native resolution is a must on a handheld, I would definitely have bought it just for the crisp colorful graphics

Haha yea, if Vita taught me anything about games, this is it.

So many games looked like trash on that beautiful screen because they were blurry vaseline filled sub-native messes.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, subnative isnt good, but I dont know who you are mad at here. At Nintendo for failing to deliver a handheld that can run at 720p a game that fails to reach 900p on the PS4? At Nintendo for not going 540p? At Sumo digital for making such a demanding game?

I was at team 540p for the switch, but I get that all the "lol, 720p in 2017!" comments would have been magnified with a 540p screen...

BuggyMike

The Xbox One should have been thrown into the comparison for good measure. Still a fascinating watch. Has anyone reported on the Xbox One's resolution?

Ridley327

I just got done playing an entire level in portable mode, and while it is definitely blurry as a result of being lower resolution, I do think that this is a case where the TAA does a lot to help boost the overall IQ to give it a surprisingly pleasant look. One of the biggest issues with sub-native Vita games was that they frequently did nothing to clean up after themselves, which resulted in really rough presentations that could feel like something was wrong with the system's output (that games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed also run poorly on top of that exacerbated the matter even further). Native resolution on handhelds will always, always, always be preferable, but the solution Sumo Digital came up with here is about as good as it gets in this scenario.

shiyrley

Banned
Okay, I fell victim of my impatience and bought the game on Switch.

On portable mode it looks fine. Not in a "holy shit this looks amazing" way, but in a "it's looks fine, I can play it, I notice it's not native res but it's ok". That was at my gf's place.

Then I arrived home. I have my dock connected to my 1440p monitor (Dell U2515H, 25"), I docked the Switch expecting it to look like ass and...

It looks good, somehow. What the actual fuck. I would NEVER have guessed that this is sub-HD. I mean it. It looks less jaggy than Zelda, but a bit more blurry. If I didn't know the resolution and someone asked me to guess it, I would say 900p, but if someone told me "it's actually 1080p", I would totally believe it. Wow.

I'm not trying to say it looks amazing or anything, it's just that it's sort of incredible that it's running at that low of a resolution, it doesn't look that low res AT ALL. Pretty cool stuff.

Rezbit

Yes this is what it reminds me of too. It still looks okay, but you definitely lose that visual fidelity. A bit blurrier and some details lost because of it. For me it's certainly good enough to play without noticing it too much though. Docked looks great, cleaner and punchier.

I've had a chance to watch the video now, and I can say that Digital Foundry missed multiple differences between these two versions. Besides the higher resolution, better framerate, better shadows, added depth-of-field, and added water caustics and ripples they did mention, PS4 shows even more advantages over Switch. The ripple effect doesn't just distort the water when swimming, the ripples reflect Noodle the snake; no reflections are present on Switch. Plus, PS4 has greater draw distance for grass (though less grass overall). In addition, the non-interactive backgrounds are more detailed on PS4, though because of the DOF it's not possible to tell if that's due to multiplanar art or actual geometry. Some of the textures are better than Switch too, and the lighting for special effects is more intense and accurate. (Oddly, there's also slight differences in the 2D logos for level selection, but I can't say why.)

The gap between the two platforms is wider than anyone has stated.

The Xbox One should have been thrown into the comparison for good measure. Still a fascinating watch. Has anyone reported on the Xbox One's resolution?
The footage is too short to really tell, especially given Youtube compression. I got pixel counts between 720p and 1080p after several attempts. Unless better shots turn up, we'll have to wait until next week and Digital Foundry's Xbox/PC/PS4 Pro comparison.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

You do realise the port wouldn't be possible unless they dropped the resolution right? I'd rather have ports at 480p on a 6" screen than no ports at all personally. If you don't like it don't buy it, no big deal.

mario_O

There's definitely something fishy about this game being 900p and 30fps on PS4. Specially if pro delivers 1080p and 60fps.

Yep, my guess was that the game was probably running at 40-45 fps on the original PS4 and they decided to lock it at 30. PS4's CPU is quiet weak. But I don't get the 900p?? You look at the game and it doesnt look very taxing, except for maybe the Snake. Bizzare. I mean, Uncharted 4 runs at 1080p, and many other AAA demanding titles.

Malus

I wish they broke the "rule" with Zelda so it at least ran at a half-respectable framerate while docked.

You do realise the port wouldn't be possible unless they dropped the resolution right? I'd rather have ports at 480p on a 6" screen than no ports at all personally. If you don't like it don't buy it, no big deal.

I wouldn't. For portable, these games should be able to hit 720 minimum. I'm not a graphics nut, I did not buy this thing to play sub native res, blurry games. That'd be a major disappointment.

BigEmil

Sub native 1080p on ps4 base is unacceptable. Poor programming/optimization and no buy.
I think this resolution was with when PS4 version originally had a unlocked framerate ranging around 50fps. Looks like they locked it down to 30fps now, due to that I'm sure with that extra resources they can up the resolution now can't they

I will get this for the Switch. Having one is already worth it with Zelda, Snipperclips and Snakepass.

Add Pokemon and it's already worth the price of entry and then some.

You must be avoiding quite a few games, then. Because sub-native res isn't exactly uncommon on any console. And the AA makes the resolution difference mostly moot anyway.

The low gap between PS4 and Switch is good news for future UE4 games on Switch that aren't so low res on PS4 to begin with.

Yea but it is oddly so low res on base PS4 that Switchs low res looks good in comparison.Is this game also $10 extra on Switch? Because if it is then basically from consumers point of view "dat portable version tax".

Nintendo parity moneyhat?/s

Top Bottom