• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Zelda Breath of the Wild uses dynamic resolution scaling

big_erk

Which shouldn't be a problem while docked. I mean, it's a dock they're selling for 90 bucks. If they weren't so greedy, maybe they could've come up with a decent cooling solution with the dock instead of a plastic piece which does nothing that a USB C hub would do. It's true that the GPU speed would bring the heat further up, but I doubt it's something that would've been unsustainable with proper cooling, especially considering the device isnt fanless.
The dock itself is only $59 and from what I've seen that's the ballpark price for a USB-C hub.

Replacement Dock

The game may freeze sometimes when killing a Moblin but for some reason it only seem to be tied with those enemies.

Maker Island which is outside of the Lost Woods has shit tons of Stalfos and would carry special arrows as well as fighting the big ones. There haven't been any noticeable slow down with physics involved and went through it twice.

Another example is running to
Zora Domain
in the rain with lighting arrows being shot everywhere, still nothing bad

But then I go to a shrine surrounded by spikes and having to navigate around it and the fps going to low teens and input being affected even when playing in portable mode. It was just rendering grass and spikes with nothing going on.

bachikarn

We've been through this in multiple threads. USB-C products are really expensive. $90 also includes a USB-C charger and a HDMI cable.

$60 for the dock is in line with other similar products out there.

Docks are typically high margin products. Just because other products are $60, doesn't mean Nintendo has to charge that much for it. Do you really think an HDMI cable and USB C charger is worth $30 bucks?

The point of dynamic resolution scaling is to maintain frame rate, yet that's still a problem. Hope they can improve performance.

Docks are typically high margin products. Just because other products are $60, doesn't mean Nintendo has to charge that much for it. Do you really think an HDMI cable and USB C charger is worth $30 bucks?

USB C chargers, in general, are pretty high priced for a reason I think..maybe something to do with licensing?

Or simply, how many ports are better looking than a game built natively on that hardware?
My point wasn't that a port will look as good as a ground-up game. My point was, if Shin'en are so accomplished and the Switch so powerful, why does their port not run near its intended target?

Are you comparing Wii U version to Switch or just looking at Switch version and asking why the game isn't 1080p 60fps 100% of the time, while pushing more effects, a new lighting engine and handling 4 player split screen.
Both. Your claim was that the game shows us the power Switch has on paper: 4-5x WiiU. If that were the case, then 4x the resolution alongside new effects (single player only) should be well doable. Especially given that the developer is widely viewed as the most technically adroit third-party working on Nintendo hardware.

But that's not all that we see. Yes, Switch does occasionally hit this level. But it's below that most of the time. As I said, this suggests bottlenecks to achieving the paper performance.

This is not a radical idea; real-world performance rarely matches spec sheet promises across the board.

...it's possible that the reason the target resolution exists is for this mode and when aggressively dynamic rendering, it can jump to that much lower resolution for a frame or two to avoid a drop in frame rate.
This is entirely my point. Why would the game have to reduce res by nearly an order of magnitude to maintain framerate?

That depends on how you define "temporal upscaling" the technique used on Wii U is most certainly *NOT* used in Fast RMX (which is what Shin'en refers to as "temporal upscaling") ...I feel pretty certain that Shin'en is just using adaptive resolution....
Fair enough, I trust your eyes. I'm just wary about developer claims, given multiple instances of other studios lying about the technical details of their games.

Teletraan1

Banned
What's interesting is that the dynamic resolution is so well implemented that very few people noticed. Too bad that they couldn't fix the framerate more in the docked mode.

It is easier to notice on native resolution displays. The game for me was already upscaling on a 1080p TV it is unlikely that I was going to notice that it is upscaling a bit more.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
yes but it runs a 1920x1080p image and dynamic scales to 900p, while Wii U uses a 640x720p image and dynamically scales that (instead of a 1280x720p image and has massive graphical improvements, there is a digital foundry video on it from last week, really interesting video
FRN does not scale anything - it uses a reprojection technique and constantly renders at 640x720. The end result is somewhat similar to 720 interlaced, but the interlace pattern is not scanline-based but more sophisticated, to a better reprojection effect.

My point wasn't that a port will look as good as a ground-up game. My point was, if Shin'en are so accomplished and the Switch so powerful, why does their port not run near its intended target?

I never said the switch was powerful. I said Shinen are tech wizards given their size and if they built a ground up game they could target 1080p.

And second. They are limited by time, budget and other ambitions. Maybe their priority was not 1080p no matter what given they made a bunch of graphical improvements to the game and also increased the resolution to 1080 as a target. Maybe making launch was a priority. Maybe they didnt divert total resources to the game due to another project.

Like I dunno what you are actually getting at. You think if they wanted 1080p they couldnt do it?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Never noticed this, even once, and I've been playing the game nonstop. I do wish Nintendo would patch for performance though. Cmon Nintendo.

Mind you, I ordered this from the Nintendo site and it shipped in plastic shrink wrap, no box or packaging. Quality product from Nintendo.
You ordered a replacement part from Nintendo's replacement parts site and are surprised it shipped as a replacement part would? Cool. It's not a retail product in that configuration.

big_erk

USB C chargers, in general, are pretty high priced for a reason I think..maybe something to do with licensing?

Could be. All of the quality USB-C chargers and hubs that I've seen are not cheap. I bought an extra USB-C charger for my Switch with the added benefit that it can also charge my Chromebook and it was $40.

Did they confirm that it uses double buffering? I hope they could patch in triple buffering or adaptive vsync. Double buffering does not work in open world games.

Nyoro SF

Makes sense. If you go to Hateno Village and then head down the village center, you can see the res drop fairly easily (and the frame drops too lol).

ghibli99

I don't know if this has been answered, but is the Wii U rendering and streaming lower resolution video to the Gamepad (480p~540p)? I could swear it runs better than it does when I'm playing it on my TV. I haven't done any back-to-back tests (I plan on it tonight), but when the game forces me to use the Gamepad for certain puzzles and then I go back outside and run around before decided to switch back to TV, it looks like it's a nice locked 30fps and not the back-and-forth 20-30fps show I'm used to.

balgajo

I called about it the other day with some friends when entering on a village in the wii u version. It's pretty noticeable.

Hermii

Considering this is a launch game originally built for older hardware and it STILL has performance issues despite these concessions, I'm pretty disappointed with Nintendo's choices for speccing out the Switch.

It would be one thing if this was just their handheld ... but it's not.

So four more years of performance issues, especially for multiplats. This on top of how gimped joycons are if portable mode is your main draw.
Considering this is a launch game port from a very different architecture and also the most technically complex Nintendo game ever I don't think it's representative of what games made from the ground up will be like.

I don't expect it to ever be generational leap, we are going from 33 watt to 11 watt docked, but I expect ground up Nintendo games to perform as well as they always have and have a significant graphical leap from Wii U.

They are limited by time, budget and other ambitions. Maybe their priority was not 1080p no matter what given they made a bunch of graphical improvements to the game and also increased the resolution to 1080 as a target. Maybe making launch was a priority. Maybe they didnt divert total resources to the game due to another project.

Like I dunno what you are actually getting at. You think if they wanted 1080p they couldnt do it?
What I'm getting at is that they clearly wanted 1080p60 at a certain fidelity, and they couldn't get all those things at once. I believe they would've set their target based on expert opinion about what should be possible on the promised hardware. That it wasn't met may therefore tell us something about the difference between practical use and paper specs of that hardware.

z0m3le

Banned
Fast RMX does show that Switch is 4 to 5 times as powerful as Wii U, that was my point, yes there are bottlenecks with a port designed around Wii U's strengths, and yes the Switch isn't 100% of the time hitting this performance level in this game, however it's important to note that Wii U's performance drops as well, and the comparison is still going to line up reasonably with these numbers. As for the whole "on paper" comment, we are seeing this performance in game, not just on paper, that takes it out of the theoretical and places it into practice.

We still don't know if Shinen even used fp16 code, which would improve performance further, I do think that bandwidth is going to be an active bottleneck for this console unless there is on die embedded memory, but we aren't really seeing signs of it in the launch games at least.
FRN does not scale anything - it uses a reprojection technique and constantly renders at 640x720. The end result is somewhat similar to 720 interlaced, but the interlace pattern is not scanline-based but more sophisticated, to a better reprojection effect.

Thanks for the correction, I was too engaged with my thought process to catch myself with the technical reasoning behind what Wii U was doing.

The1Ski

Considering this is a launch game originally built for older hardware and it STILL has performance issues despite these concessions, I'm pretty disappointed with Nintendo's choices for speccing out the Switch.

It would be one thing if this was just their handheld ... but it's not.

So four more years of performance issues, especially for multiplats. This on top of how gimped joycons are if portable mode is your main draw.

As someone who's not interested in the mobile aspect I agree.

Unless Nintendo intentionally gimped the switch version (for parity?) I'm not seeing why something like Mario Odyssey couldn't be a Wii U game as well.

It'll be interesting to see what the switch can do going forward

I imagine they won't need this when they make the next open world Zelda from the ground up for Switch. At least they are doing things to keep frame dips from being absolute garbage.

Davide

yes but it runs a 1920x1080p image and dynamic scales to 900p, while Wii U uses a 640x720p image and dynamically scales that (instead of a 1280x720p image and has massive graphical improvements, there is a digital foundry video on it from last week, really interesting video

Well that'd disappointing

Gitaroo

They should just lock the resolution at 720p in dock mode and increase the AF even further and add high quality SMAA. Does the system have no edram? Just LDDR4? The system will always run into massive bandwidth issue if that's the case.

Mudo

Possibly stupid question but does this indicate that BOTW is pushing the Switch to its limits so this could be a standard of the best it's capable of doing?Or is this a byproduct of it basically being a Wiiu game that had to be ported to Switch halfway through development? I think it looks great blemishes and all but was hoping the future could bring better looking games (prob won't be able to beat that art style no matter what for me though)

udivision

As someone who's not interested in the mobile aspect I agree.

Unless Nintendo intentionally gimped the switch version (for parity?) I'm not seeing why something like Mario Odyssey couldn't be a Wii U game as well.

It'll be interesting to see what the switch can do going forward
It could be a Wii U game. Same for Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. It would just look and run worse. That's how it usually is with improved hardware.

geordiemp

That's not how it works. Switch could hardly be more powerful at that price and with that core hardware.

Its bandwidth memory access starved and Switch has very little of it if EG leaked specs are true. Article repeats it here.

You are incorrect, they could of easily upped the memory access specs for more cost obviously.

Rodin

Or is this a byproduct of it basically being a Wiiu game that had to be ported to Switch halfway through development?
Yup. Very late in the cycle actually (last spring) while they were also finishing the wii u version.

I know this is a port, but if the console can't even produce 1080p in this day and age, it really won't be able to shine and will just be a Wii U/ Handheld port machine. I just wish they went the extra mile and incorporated the latest handheld technology into this thing.

Switch became the lead platform for BoTW during development, but it's also a launch title for new hardware and it's Nintendo's first major open world game. The Switch isn't a powerhouse but with these specific caveats contributing to Zelda's performance why are we acting like we can expect this sort of performance moving forward?

n0razi

I thought the game didn't even look HD in some cases on the Wii U - disappointing to say the least. It doesn't fill me with joy that the Switch version isn't even full hd!

Bought the Wii U version and waiting for decent CEMU support before diving in.... I want no less than 1080p at 30fps locked

I know this is a port, but if the console can't even produce 1080p in this day and age, it really won't be able to shine and will just be a Wii U/ Handheld port machine. I just wish they went the extra mile and incorporated the latest handheld technology into this thing.

I can't imagine a $400 Switch selling well at all

ckaneo

This is the latest handheld technology....

What handheld has better specs than the Switch lol

ZOONAMI

I thought the game didn't even look HD in some cases on the Wii U - disappointing to say the least. It doesn't fill me with joy that the Switch version isn't even full hd!

It looks damn good on my tv. Sure horizon looks better on my PS4 Pro 4k set up but I'd rather play Zelda ;)

Top Bottom