• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Zelda Breath of the Wild uses dynamic resolution scaling

Gitaroo

Not GPU wise, and they can't use that power for more than like 5 minutes straight, so...

isn't ipad pro/ip7 still like the king of SoC? I remember Tegra K1 got close but X1 failed to impress. With proper tweaks and remove all the phone stuffs, iphone 7 can probably be on par battery wise.

BuggyMike

Uhh, FAST RMX also dynamically scales its resolution.

It was stated that single player mode is meant to run at 1080p at all times and will do so after a patch fixes an issue that causes the game to use dynamic resolution. Really dynamic resolution was supposed to be for split screen only.

Every time we hear reports of this kind, with the Switch already struggling with games like this, really makes me wish Nintendo had spent the money they used on HD rumble, IR sensors and the like on beefing up those specs instead.

Yeah...

Really hoping for a "New" Switch later in the life cycle to compensate.

But isn't this type of system supposed to help the game adapt to mediate things like framerate drops?

Why include this feature if it still sees considerable performance issues in other areas?

Rodin

Every time we hear reports of this kind, with the Switch already struggling with games like this, really makes me wish Nintendo had spent the money they used on HD rumble, IR sensors and the like on beefing up those specs instead.
It's unrelated though, unless you're talking about brute forcing being easier a quicker. But no thanks, i'd rather not play with the same inputs as 20 years ago.

Nvidia's Shield?
Same hardware. Higher clocks, but it throttles and has android and shitty APIs that can hamper its performances. Switch has neither of those problems.

isn't ipad pro/ip7 still like the king of SoC? I remember Tegra K1 got close but X1 failed to impress. With proper tweaks and remove all the phone stuffs, iphone 7 can probably be on par battery wise.
X1 was actually better than K1 even for its time iirc.

arhra

Brad Shoemaker of Giant Bomb brought it up in a recent video. He didn't say anything concrete but he noticed a very poor resolution lamp post and was wondering if they used dynamic resolution scaling.

That's not dynamic res, as it's purely a local phenomenon around light sources. The rest of the image is still at full res even when you see those artifacts.

For that, I'm guessing the explanation is that dynamic point lights are being rendered at half resolution. It's extremely noticable on the WiiU version, especially at places like the front desk where it's basically entirely lit by the lanterns there.

Gitaroo

The Nintendo Switch Is 10 Times More Powerful Than an iPad

Can't vouch for the validity of that statement but there it is.

ipad 1 maybe, but not pro

It's unrelated though, unless you're talking about brute forcing being easier a quicker. But no thanks, i'd rather not play with the same inputs as 20 years ago.

Same hardware. Higher clocks, but it throttles and has android and shitty APIs that can hamper its performances. Switch has neither of those problems.

X1 is definitely more powerful than K1, but not Apple A9X, A10 nor upcoming A10x.

saskuatch

I knew the gimped memory bandwidth would be balls for resolution, was hoping they had some sort of architectural magic to over come it but seems like not.

bachikarn

I knew the gimped memory bandwidth would be balls for resolution, was hoping they had some sort of architectural magic to over come it but seems like not.

What was the trade off for doing it? More expensive? Worse battery life?

It is not a great sign when it is struggling with launch titles. Hopefully with more experience with the system, they can make it better but I'm not optimistic.

Rodin

X1 is definitely more powerful than K1, but not Apple A9X, A10 nor upcoming A10x.

Yeah the first two are better in terms of CPU, not GPU/RAM wise. And the iPhone still can't use fully use its hardware because of battery, thermal throttling and the need to use its resources to run a complex OS, nor there are devs willing to fully exploit what it can do by investing big budgets to create a certain kind of experiences on a platform where most of the money comes from pick and play f2p games with in app purchases. So what's the point of this comparison when most iOS games can't even beat the best visuals on the Vita for a number of reasons, despite the old hardware of the Sony machine?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah the first two are better in terms of CPU, not GPU/RAM wise. And the iPhone still can't use fully use its hardware because of battery, thermal throttling and the need to use its resources to run a complex OS, nor there are devs willing to fully exploit what it can do by investing big budgets to create a certain kind of experiences on a platform where most of the money comes from pick and play f2p games with in app purchases. So what's the point of this comparison when most iOS games can't even beat the best visuals on the Vita for a number of reasons, despite the old hardware of the Sony machine?
I think iPhone doesn't do thermal throttling of CPU/gpu. Only screen brightness is thermal throttled (if you keep it high). Agreed on other accounts.

knerl

Point it Switch isn't the most powerful handheld.

Falchion

What was the trade off for doing it? More expensive? Worse battery life?

It is not a great sign when it is struggling with launch titles. Hopefully with more experience with the system, they can make it better but I'm not optimistic.

My thoughts too. If a game that was originally being developed for the previous generation console is having to make these kinds of compromises just to run acceptably most of the time, that's not good.

Maybe if they didnt go stupid on the ammount of grass the effin game has it would run decently. They knew their tech, yet they went ahead and said put more grass, we need lots of it everywhere!!! Seriously they need to tone that shit down.

Rodin

I think iPhone doesn't do thermal throttling of CPU/gpu. Only screen brightness is thermal throttled (if you keep it high). Agreed on other accounts.
It does, although it's not as severe as on other mobile devices. It's actually pretty impressive when you think of how small and thin the device is.

Yes it is. Just not CPU wise.

Caelus

I wonder how much of Zelda's performance issues are related to poor optimization - they supposedly only had a year to port it from Wii U hardware, and it's a big game.

Could you imagine Zelda running on a PS4 Pro? Or a Zelda game built for hardware that powerful?

Its truly boggles the mind.

geordiemp

Their memory bandwidth theory is a bit concerning for docked mode

Its the first thing allot of posters, including myself, yelped at when Eurogamer leaked the specs along time ago well before launch, but most posters were swooning over the possible CPU etc

25.6 GB/s was a glaring stand out which many tried to argue the tiled based tech etc, but its still ps3 / 360 bandwidth. Faster memory or bigger bus (or both !) would of been better than HD rumble and the like IMO. No point in having good CPU / GPU if you cant feed it data fast enough

Games rarely run at 60fps during all stages of development, the problem with Zelda is that it is extremely open ended, so testing a game in all the different situations that might arise is problematic to say the least. However freeze frames are certainly an issue that should have been caught and they lead me to believe it is actually a bandwidth problem, but a bottleneck somewhere along the way is certainly causing it, and it being dense areas with lots of physics and large characters, does strengthen the idea to me at least that it is bandwidth intensive, and certainly shouldn't be a CPU issue as the portable and docked CPU is the same and both faster than Wii U's CPU by a large amount. GPU of Switch when docked should also be more than enough for the resolution bump.

If it a bandwidth problem then wouldn't it be consistent rather then being random? It sounds more like a bug and it goes from freezing to a minor hitch. The bug happens when the moblin ragdoll rather than killing them.

RootCause

It does, although it's not as severe as on other mobile devices. It's actually pretty impressive when you think of how small and thin the device is.

Yes it is. Just not CPU wise.
Well it's the only handheld gaming device. 😛 Truth be told. I'd take the A9X chip over the X1 if given the choice. It's the better chip, even if it's not being used to its fullest on the iPad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
so is it as we suspected in that the bandwidth is the most likely issue with the FPS drops?

Could you imagine Zelda running on a PS4 Pro? Or a Zelda game built for hardware that powerful?

Its truly boggles the mind.

Forget pro, just having Zelda on base PS4 would allow it to run 1080p and maybe even 60fps.

Crazyorloco

This is a good point, the memory bandwidth has to be shared with the CPU too, so in moments where the CPU might take a large chunk out of the bandwidth, could cause freeze frames for moments like some have recorded. That actually seems to be the most likely cause of this, the espresso CPU might be maxing out and the Switch CPU might be taking up too much bandwidth to push those extra pixels (from the GPU) in docked mode.

Those videos make me appreciate Zelda a little more.

Yeah it's really handling a lot behind the scenes. Things that gamers don't think about. I think a lot of people don't notice it because graphically it isn't like other games. The physics, gameplay, and artificial intelligence in this game are pretty good.

I don't understand what this has to do with Zelda's performance on its own platform? Horizon has nothing to do with how Zelda runs.

If Nintendo puts this stuff in their game, it's on them to make it actually perform well isn't it?

To handle physics, AI, and all the gameplay features the system will have to use the CPU more. People may not like the comparison, mainly because it exposes things that game just doesn't do. It doesn't mean it's a bad game or anything just that there's less going on behind the scenes. Less taxing on the system.

btrboyev

Actually, there is some evidence to suggest that FAST RMX on Switch is also using temporal upscaling, and is not native 1920x1080. Not certain by any means, but suggestive.

Well if the developers are to be believed, they said there were no tricks to getting to 1080p 60fps on switch. And according to DF, it's a firmware bug causing the dips on resolution output.

So who knows

Gitaroo

Switch X1 isn't running at full speed neither keep in mind. ipad pro has how amazing it can hold the performance with very little throttling. People were blown away on the other thread here irc. Ipad Pro widen the gap much further between apple vs every other devices when it was launch. Then there is also the smaller form factor devices like the 9.7" pro. Everyone was expecting X1 to double the performance of K1 like what K1 did compare to the tegra prior but it fail to do so. Compare to the Switch, the ipad pro probably does out perform the Switch X1 by quite a bit even if the X1 GPU architecture is more advantage with X1 due to low clock speed.

Seik

Banned
Shouldve released this thing in fall 2017 with X2 in it. That way, it wouldve launched with a fair number of games as well

Agree with the X2 part, but launching in fall alongside Scorpio just before holidays sounds like a bad idea.

Launching the console with BOTW, MK8, Splatoon 2, ARMS, etc. sounds great on paper, because the more games the better, but from a business standpoint I think X game could've cannibalized the sales of the other because of the overflow. I'd be all for it though! :lol

Cent is French (and maybe other languages like Latin) for 100.

Per hundred -> Per cent

It makes more sense as two words than one.

Cool. It may make more sense for an English/French speaking person but if English is your only language it makes no sense at all.

Cent means penny so when you say "per cent" you're saying per penny. The switchs resolution drops 10-20 per penny?

Percent means a portion of 100. Anyway it's a moot point as i was just giving my man a hard time. I don't really care.

AzaK

Considering this is a launch game originally built for older hardware and it STILL has performance issues despite these concessions, I'm pretty disappointed with Nintendo's choices for speccing out the Switch.

It would be one thing if this was just their handheld ... but it's not.

So four more years of performance issues, especially for multiplats. This on top of how gimped joycons are if portable mode is your main draw.
Multiplats won't be there anyway unless it's indie and they tend to be less demanding.

The memory bandwidth is pretty crap which is a shame but I wonder if they just used a Wii U engine that was working with the EDram and they hacked something in for Switch Zelda that wasn't optimal.

AzaK

Shouldve released this thing in fall 2017 with X2 in it. That way, it wouldve launched with a fair number of games as well
That's next year ;). They needed something out now and it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to iron things out over this year and get feedback.

AzaK

Its the first thing allot of posters, including myself, yelped at when Eurogamer leaked the specs along time ago well before launch, but most posters were swooning over the possible CPU etc

25.6 GB/s was a glaring stand out which many tried to argue the tiled based tech etc, but its still ps3 / 360 bandwidth. Faster memory or bigger bus (or both !) would of been better than HD rumble and the like IMO. No point in having good CPU / GPU if you cant feed it data fast enough
Agree but for 99% of Nintendos games it's plenty so Nintendo would rather save a few cents than pay for gamers to get a good experience from big AAA games. It's their penny pinching mindset that leaves them lagging in the tech areas.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Fast RMX does show that Switch is 4 to 5 times as powerful as Wii U, that was my point, yes there are bottlenecks with a port designed around Wii U's strengths, and yes the Switch isn't 100% of the time hitting this performance level in this game, however it's important to note that Wii U's performance drops as well, and the comparison is still going to line up reasonably with these numbers. As for the whole "on paper" comment, we are seeing this performance in game, not just on paper, that takes it out of the theoretical and places it into practice.

We still don't know if Shinen even used fp16 code, which would improve performance further, I do think that bandwidth is going to be an active bottleneck for this console unless there is on die embedded memory, but we aren't really seeing signs of it in the launch games at least.

The fact that Fast Racing is doing this as a launch port proves your point yet people will continue to move the goalposts or continue to say Switch is just a little more powerful than Wii U despite it running a Wii U port at twice the resolution, twice the framerate with improved lighting in multiplayer mode.

Primeau31

Ahh, I've been playing the Wii U version and swore this was the case but haven't seen any confirmation until now. I wonder how many playing without knowing of it have/will notice

tenchir

Probably referring to sustained performance. None of the iPads can run at peak performance for more than a few minutes before getting throttle due to hitting the thermal ceiling quickly. The Tegra in the Switch isn't going to be throttled at all due to the active cooling it has.

Donnie

No point in having theoretical performance if you can't really utilise it in games. Certainly no phone can come close to Switch for gaming performance because they can't sustain high clocks and can't utilise anywhere near their full memory bandwidth. Some tablets may be able to match it in actual hardware performance, but the API's will hold them back in comparison.

Donnie

For games yes it absolutely is. Power isn't what you can do on paper, its what you can actually output.

P.S. Amazing some people are still banging on about bandwidth. More is always better if the budget supports it but its nowhere near a glaring issue within the systems design (400Gflops TBR design).

Head.spawn

Every console game should use dynamic resolution if isnt hitting performance targets, one of the best solutions to come out of this generation IMO.

Every console game should use dynamic resolution if isnt hitting performance targets, one of the best solutions to come out of this generation IMO.

Dynamic resolutions were also apparent in last generation games too, it would be one of the best solutions to come out of the previous console generation really, although it has become slightly more widespread in the 8th generation.

Guess Who

Banned
No point in having theoretical performance if you can't really utilise it in games. Certainly no phone can come close to Switch for gaming performance because they can't sustain high clocks and can't utilise anywhere near their full memory bandwidth. Some tablets may be able to match it in actual hardware performance, but the API's will hold them back in comparison.

The iPhone 6S doesn't meaningfully throttle under sustained load (and I'd bet the 7 doesn't as well, but I haven't actually seen it tested, it'd just be weird for Apple to regress on this). iOS also supports a Vulkan-like API called Metal for higher performance.

The main things holding back big games on iOS are control limitations, economics, and battery life.

Dynamic resolutions were also apparent in last generation games too, it would be one of the best solutions to come out of the previous console generation really, although it has become slightly more widespread in the 8th generation.

Was also apparent in last last gen games.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay used dynamic resolution up to 640X480 if I recall.

Top Bottom