• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Zelda Breath of the Wild uses dynamic resolution scaling

Peltz

I hope I can't see the resolution drops now that this article was posted.

I swear I can see the 59fps in MK8 after DF wrote about it.

They should expand this to keep a steady framerate.

Yea I'm kind of confused why they didn't take it further, especially in docked mode on Switch. An occasional and temporary 720p would have been acceptable for a stable framerate.

The fact that Fast Racing is doing this as a launch port proves your point yet people will continue to move the goalposts or continue to say Switch is just a little more powerful than Wii U despite it running a Wii U port at twice the resolution, twice the framerate with improved lighting in multiplayer mode.

To be fair, 4-5x as powerful isn't very much for a generational shift. Sony claims PS4 is 10x as powerful as a PS3, and this generation has already been an underwhelming shift in many respects.
Not that it bothers me much. I look at the Switch for what it is no matter what the marketing says: a portable. So I don't really mind, but the Switch simply isn't that much of an improvement when you compare it to the previous home console.

Eusis

In a way I consider it more impressive than what we saw with PS4 and XB1 admittedly, but that's because you have a modest fidelity boost AND portability versus a significant fidelity boost while still providing somewhat enhanced experiences we've had before.

EDIT: It was a concern of mine before unveiling that this "NX" version would not only fail to exceed the Wii U version but even be WORSE, but instead it's a smoother experience when handheld, and higher res at least when docked.

Top Bottom